2014-2015 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got the acceptance call after waiting all day yesterday and today with a knot in my stomach, jumping every time my phone made a noise. Ha ha.

calls are still going out this week? I thought it was a 1 day thing. and ugh double post sorry guys lol

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, anyone know how many Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarships they give out? The 75% tuition one? Also, do they give out any 100% scholarships? Congrats to everyone accepted! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Got the big 'ol W-L, but will be withdrawing.

Congrats to all the recent acceptances and scholarship winners! Loved my time at Vandy; the faculty here seem exceptionally warm and welcoming. :)

Got the big 'ol W-L, but will be withdrawing.

Congrats to all the recent acceptances and scholarship winners! Loved my time at Vandy; the faculty here seem exceptionally warm and welcoming. :)
Whyyyy can't we just get into the same places?

Reactions: 4 users
ALKDJFADKF accepted! DREAMS DO COME TRUE! :soexcited:

I have a severely sore throat and was hacking-crying on the phone yesterday and pretty sure I scared them, but nothing matters anymore. I'm fairly certain Vandy is my top choice. I honestly have been forcing myself for the past few weeks to come to terms with the fact that I'm not gonna go to medical school in Nashville and experience their new curriculum.. I can still barely believe it. The good feelings don't stop!

Congratulations to everyone else who got accepted!

Reactions: 9 users
Just got the second look email. Look forward to meeting some of you there!

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! You are all so amazing it's crazy!

I was placed on the Waitlist (not surprised but dissapointed nonetheless)...I'm curious if anyone knows whether the number of acceptances sent out this week is equal to the number of seats in the class or greater than the number of seats to account for withdrawals? Not sure how the WL works at Vandy and am trying to manage whatever bit of hope for an acceptance I have left!

Members don't see this ad :)
So how much debt do people usually have if they get the 35k/yr scholarship?

Out of curiosity, anyone know how many Cornelius Vanderbilt scholarships they give out? The 75% tuition one? Also, do they give out any 100% scholarships? Congrats to everyone accepted! :)
Is the Cornelius one 75%?

So how much debt do people usually have if they get the 35k/yr scholarship?

Is this the 75% scholarship? Tuition is 44K a year right?

Is the Cornelius one 75%?

Is this the 75% scholarship? Tuition is 44K a year right?

Yes, the Cornelius one is 75%, which is also 35k/yr.

So upset Northwestern and Vandy's second look weekend are on the same weekend... they are both my top choices :'(

Question: Is everyone post-interview either accepted or waitlisted? Did anyone get rejected yet? Just trying to gauge how good being on the "waitlist" really is. If others were also rejected, anyone have any idea how many people are on the waitlist?

For the second round of decisions, I'm certain there ARE rejections - in addition to waitlists and acceptances.

Yes, the Cornelius one is 75%, which is also 35k/yr.

So upset Northwestern and Vandy's second look weekend are on the same weekend... they are both my top choices :'(
Do you know if the CoA is actually ~75k a year. 35k scholarship sounds like a lot, but 75k-35k=40k still seems like a lot, but still better than most school I guess lol.

Do you know if the CoA is actually ~75k a year. 35k scholarship sounds like a lot, but 75k-35k=40k still seems like a lot, but still better than most school I guess lol.
You have to think that cost of attendance is comparable wherever you are if you take tuition and fees out of the picture. For example, Baylor is 16k/year in state but cost of attendance is 50k. These cost of attendance estimates are all generalized, so you won't know until you're paying the bills how much it really costs YOU.

What's the waitlist movement like here? Any details?
The 2019 Fb page came up in my suggested groups side bar (ouch) and it had 172 members, given the small class size I'm thinking there won't be much movement from the list :'(

The 2019 Fb page came up in my suggested groups side bar (ouch) and it had 172 members, given the small class size I'm thinking there won't be much movement from the list :'(
Don't despair, a lot of the members of the FB group are current students who are there to answer questions, etc!

Reactions: 2 users
Don't despair, a lot of the members of the FB group are current students who are there to answer questions, etc!
Thanks for the info! I thought about trying to figure that out with my fb stalking skills but was so paranoid/afraid of accidentally requesting to join the group--I would not be able to handle that level of social media awkwardness

I was told 75% of students get the 75% scholarship I think.

Looking forward to second look! It sounds like a fun weekend.

I just hope they award more scholarships soon. It would be a huge bummer to be one of the 25% that has to pay full price! Has anyone else been notified of a scholarship post-acceptance or is anyone that has been awarded a scholarship going to decline acceptance?

what's everyone's opinion of this new "1 year only for book" curriculum? They make it seem super nice because you get 3 clincal years. All of the students were complaining about how they didnt cut any material and how it was just 2x faster.

Thoughts?

I just hope they award more scholarships soon. It would be a huge bummer to be one of the 25% that has to pay full price! Has anyone else been notified of a scholarship post-acceptance or is anyone that has been awarded a scholarship going to decline acceptance?
i'd like to know as well!

It's the one thing keeping me from embracing Vandy entirely. Students in the Facebook group seem to like it, but it's hard to develop a complete picture before 2nd look.

My friend just told me that all of the scholarships have been given out :( Definitely sucks I'd hate to turn down a top choice school because I can't afford it

My friend just told me that all of the scholarships have been given out :( Definitely sucks I'd hate to turn down a top choice school because I can't afford it

But if some people who received scholarships withdraw, do those scholarships get reassigned? Just wondering as I loved Vandy, but future debt will be a large factor in my decision

That was her thought and mine but she was told no. Source was in admissions though might be better to talk to financial aid

Soooo second look attire: business casual during the day on Saturday. And business formal for dinner on Friday. What does that translate to?

For men:

business casual: blazer and khakis, no tie
business formal: suit and tie

For men:

business casual: blazer and khakis, no tie
business formal: suit and tie

I guess my main question is would nice dark wash skinny jeans, small heels, and a fitted sweater work for business casual?

And do I have to wear a suit to the dinner?

I guess my main question is would nice dark wash skinny jeans, small heels, and a fitted sweater work for business casual?

And do I have to wear a suit to the dinner?

I think that, generally, jeans fall outside of the realm of business casual. For the dinner, I think that women could definitely wear a dress (or even for business casual).

I think that, generally, jeans fall outside of the realm of business casual. For the dinner, I think that women could definitely wear a dress (or even for business casual).
Ok... so here's what i'm thinking now:

upload_2015-3-4_22-40-18.png
^something like this with a colored cardigan/matching jewelry for business casual

upload_2015-3-4_22-42-2.png
^traditional interview attire for business formal

I was told 75% of students get the 75% scholarship I think.

This is way too high. MSAR says ~35% of accepted applicants get ≥75% tuition scholarships, but that includes the fully-funded MSTP students.

1. .35 x 90 students = 31.5 students who get scholarships/funding (this includes MSTP)
2. 31.5 students who get scholarships/funding - 8 MSTP students = 23.5 students who get 75% (or higher) scholarships.
3. 23.5 / 82 non-MSTP students = 28.7% of non-MSTP students get 75% (or higher) scholarships.

during my interview day they told us 75% of students get the 75% scholarship. thats why it was so easy to remember lol. now if they lied, thats another story..

during my interview day they told us 75% of students get the 75% scholarship. thats why it was so easy to remember lol. now if they lied, thats another story..

It's also possible the MSAR blurb was outdated! :) (Although, assuming it's not more than a year or two outdated, that would be a huge boost in funds available for scholarships since that time...)

Could be that, they give 75% scholarships to 75% of the initially accepted students. Some students will awarded scholarships will choose other schools, and they might not re-award additional scholarships. Bringing the total % down.

Could be that, they give 75% scholarships to 75% of the initially accepted students. Some students will awarded scholarships will choose other schools, and they might not re-award additional scholarships. Bringing the total % down.

^^that makes a lot of sense. I heard that turned down scholarship offers aren't re-awarded so the 75%/75% thing could be a semi-sneaky way to make it seem like more aid is given out.

^^that makes a lot of sense. I heard that turned down scholarship offers aren't re-awarded so the 75%/75% thing could be a semi-sneaky way to make it seem like more aid is given out.

It's also a strong way to attract students early on before they've heard back from the other high caliber schools they are trying to compete against, especially if you hear back in December (and in February, too, to a lesser extent).

So it turns out they awarded less than 50% merit scholarships and they aren't giving out any more. The question now is "Is it worth the extra money to go to Vanderbilt?"

Yeah I know huh...I just got an email from them regarding Fin Aid and I can confirm what @goneuro just said...

Decided to withdraw today, hope my seat goes to one of you!

I wonder if what the financial aid package looks like if you weren't lucky enough to get one of the merit scholarships. I hope it's not all loans...