You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
A week or two. Not much actually.They'll release their first batch of non-ED acceptances on 10/16/14. How far ahead of that date do you think a candidate would need to interview in order to have a chance at receiving an admission on that date?
Secondary invite: 7/9
Submitted: 8/5
"May": 8/6
II: 8/9
IS, cGPA ~3.6, MCAT 31
I got the "no slots are available and to contact the admissions office" message, but it resolved itself.
Interview Nov 18th (earliest I could get)
Good luck to everyone else applying 🙂
Submitted: 8/5
"May": 8/6
II: 8/9
IS, cGPA ~3.6, MCAT 31
I got the "no slots are available and to contact the admissions office" message, but it resolved itself.
Interview Nov 18th (earliest I could get)
Good luck to everyone else applying 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Secondary invite: 7/9
Submitted: 8/5
"May": 8/6
II: 8/9
IS, cGPA ~3.6, MCAT 31
I got the "no slots are available and to contact the admissions office" message, but it resolved itself.
Interview Nov 18th (earliest I could get)
Good luck to everyone else applying 🙂
Congrats!
However, I'm confused how some go weeks without a status update while others have a few days turnaround. Happy for you though!
Congrats!
However, I'm confused how some go weeks without a status update while others have a few days turnaround. Happy for you though!
Someone else explained earlier in the thread that apparently one person is reviewing each batch of applications for certain days and if they're one of the slower reviewers, they may not get to you quickly. So while you may have been complete 7/10 and gotten nothing, a person complete 8/1 may have already gotten status updates because they had a faster reviewer. Or something along those lines anyway...it sucks.
Yeah makes sense that they give the earlier batch to the slow person. They know that they'd need a head start. 😛Someone else explained earlier in the thread that apparently one person is reviewing each batch of applications for certain days and if they're one of the slower reviewers, they may not get to you quickly. So while you may have been complete 7/10 and gotten nothing, a person complete 8/1 may have already gotten status updates because they had a faster reviewer. Or something along those lines anyway...it sucks.
It does suck, especially since it seems they're already booked through to late November.Someone else explained earlier in the thread that apparently one person is reviewing each batch of applications for certain days and if they're one of the slower reviewers, they may not get to you quickly. So while you may have been complete 7/10 and gotten nothing, a person complete 8/1 may have already gotten status updates because they had a faster reviewer. Or something along those lines anyway...it sucks.
It does suck, especially since it seems they're already booked through to late November.
Two days ago I scheduled an interview in late September.
Yeah makes sense that they give the earlier batch to the slow person. They know that they'd need a head start. 😛
lmao I know right. I turned in my secondary in the second week of July but I wasn't complete until 8/5 so I'm hoping I get one of the faster reviewers lol I hope all you guys that were complete get more updates soon though! I honestly think it'd be unfair if they got to me before yall.
It does suck, especially since it seems they're already booked through to late November.
Their scheduling system is kinda weird too. They have dates/months reserved for certain groups, something like ED first, then IS, and then OOS. Most OOS ppl were getting dates in February I think.
Meanwhile at the first meeting of the year for the VCU Admissions Committee:lmao I know right. I turned in my secondary in the second week of July but I wasn't complete until 8/5 so I'm hoping I get one of the faster reviewers lol I hope all you guys that were complete get more updates soon though! I honestly think it'd be unfair if they got to me before yall.
"And we will give all of the early bird apps to John. He can't procrastinate them too bad right? He learned his lesson last year."
Meanwhile at the first meeting of the year for the VCU Admissions Committee:
"And we will give all of the early bird apps to John. He can't procrastinate them too bad right? He learned his lesson last year."
LMAO dammit John, you had ONE job!
Would it be suicidal to tell the Admissions committee that they need to get new reviewers if I get an interview? haha jk
If you look at last years thread, they do not send II like other schools. They will put 'weaker' candidates scheduled out in February, but give them the invite near their completion date. I actually think this is much better than having to wait for months when the school knows it won't give you an interview till towards the end. As one of those 'weaker' folks stat wise, I fully expect that when/if I get a interview, it will be in Dec or later.It does suck, especially since it seems they're already booked through to late November.
So moral of story= they aren't running out of interviews, they just schedule them by priority score.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*John wakes up from rip-van-winkle-like slumber* "what day is it? Dec 20th, oh crap, where did I put those interview files. OH well time to just stamp every third app..." And that's how VCU picks...Meanwhile at the first meeting of the year for the VCU Admissions Committee:
"And we will give all of the early bird apps to John. He can't procrastinate them too bad right? He learned his lesson last year."
That's interesting, and a pretty good system actually. Thanks for letting me know!If you look at last years thread, they do not send II like other schools. They will put 'weaker' candidates scheduled out in February, but give them the invite near their completion date. I actually think this is much better than having to wait for months when the school knows it won't give you an interview till towards the end. As one of those 'weaker' folks stat wise, I fully expect that when/if I get a interview, it will be in Dec or later.
So moral of story= they aren't running out of interviews, they just schedule them by priority score.
Just got the MAY status... Excited to see where it leads. Complete 7/11
Ironically, I just got the further status. I wonder it that means I should expect an interview...
A few ppl have gotten interviews after that (OOS students I think), seems like a good omen!
You asked for John, he answered. Why would he pick your app when he can assign it to someone else?Ironically, I just got the further status. I wonder it that means I should expect an interview...
That is what I'm thinking. Since I was complete before some of the people who were offered, i should have higher priority and should get an interview. But who knows 😛 It's not a rejection so I got that going for me which is nice 😉A few ppl have gotten interviews after that (OOS students I think), seems like a good omen!
That is what I'm thinking. Since I was complete before some of the people who were offered, i should have higher priority and should get an interview. But who knows 😛 It's not a rejection so I got that going for me which is nice 😉
Exactly, good ol' optimism there haha 🙂
Is that really how we should look at it?That is what I'm thinking. Since I was complete before some of the people who were offered, i should have higher priority and should get an interview. But who knows 😛 It's not a rejection so I got that going for me which is nice 😉
They say they prioritize it based on completion date and score. So if they are consistent with what they publish I think so... Is that how you interpret it?Is that really how we should look at it?
Just got a "may" status as well. Complete on 7/10. Viewing this positively haha.
Yeah, further isn't actually a bad status, people have gotten interviews off of it within a few days sometimes. May or further both have a decent shot at interveiw, its the status below that (#4, the 'concerns' one), that is the one you don't want (I feel horrible saying that but its true).Is that really how we should look at it?
If it works this thread will have a new deity to worship 😉I hope I get a status change today too 🙁 Maybe I should make some funny comment about John.
They emailed saying you had a status change, or did you just check?If it works this thread will have a new deity to worship 😉
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They say they prioritize it based on completion date and score. So if they are consistent with what they publish I think so... Is that how you interpret it?
I still don't have any status besides complete. Guess my app got thrown in the slowest pile.Yeah, further isn't actually a bad status, people have gotten interviews off of it within a few days sometimes. May or further both have a decent shot at interveiw, its the status below that (#4, the 'concerns' one), that is the one you don't want (I feel horrible saying that but its true).
I literally got the email that I had an update 2 minutes after I posted. Sometimes it pays to be a smart-ass.They emailed saying you had a status change, or did you just check?
Whoooooo congrats! I think may/further are good statuses to have! A lot of people have reported II release <1 week after receiving the update. 😀
Still sitting at "very interested" since 7/30. If I get an II I'll be very curious to see what date I get... hopefully we can decipher this bizarre app-reviewing timeline.
Still sitting at "very interested" since 7/30. If I get an II I'll be very curious to see what date I get... hopefully we can decipher this bizarre app-reviewing timeline.
I literally got the email that I had an update 2 minutes after I posted. Sometimes it pays to be a smart-ass.
If it paid to be a smart ass, I'd be a bleeping billionaire by now. Come on VCU, show ccantr10 that Virginia really is for lovers..... of medicine!
I measure payment in how many days it takes med schools to get back to me. Pretty rich if I do say so myself.If it paid to be a smart ass, I'd be a bleeping billionaire by now. Come on VCU, show ccantr10 that Virginia really is for lovers..... of medicine!
I measure payment in how many days it takes med schools to get back to me. Pretty rich if I do say so myself.
Lol
It seems like I have been waiting forever! Submitted mid July.
Let us all pray and invoke the power of the merciful John so that he may bless us with positive updates and II. Amen.
Just got the "MAY" status as well today! C'mon VCU, you know you want to!
Well, I got the reservations/subcommittee status (#4). GL to everyone else, but it looks like my ride is already over with VCU.
Sorry HandsomeRob. These guys don't know what their missing if they refuse to send you an II.Well, I got the reservations/subcommittee status (#4). GL to everyone else, but it looks like my ride is already over with VCU.
Well, I got the reservations/subcommittee status (#4). GL to everyone else, but it looks like my ride is already over with VCU.
Dammit John. I need these people to be in my class to continue our sarcastic shenanigans.Sorry HandsomeRob. These guys don't know what their missing if they refuse to send you an II.
But seriously. Sorry but you still have a chance! Don't lose hope just yet.
What in the world...I was complete on 7/20 with the status "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed."
Today I get an email about a status update. Was bracing for an II or rejection, but then I was greeted with this: "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision."
What? I thought the adcom was forwarded my stuff since 7/20. They're just getting it now?
Today I get an email about a status update. Was bracing for an II or rejection, but then I was greeted with this: "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision."
What? I thought the adcom was forwarded my stuff since 7/20. They're just getting it now?
Probably moving some of John's workload to somebody else. 😉What in the world...I was complete on 7/20 with the status "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed."
Today I get an email about a status update. Was bracing for an II or rejection, but then I was greeted with this: "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision."
What? I thought the adcom was forwarded my stuff since 7/20. They're just getting it now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry HandsomeRob. These guys don't know what their missing if they refuse to send you an II.
Dammit John. I need these people to be in my class to continue our sarcastic shenanigans.
But seriously. Sorry but you still have a chance! Don't lose hope just yet.
Ty for the love. Its much appreciated. 👍
It's a glitch. I got a few email last week switching between the 2 status updates. It should remain at "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed." once the glitch is dealt with.What in the world...I was complete on 7/20 with the status "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Admissions Committee will now do a comprehensive review of your application. Once the review is complete, your file will be prioritized, and interviews will be granted based on your priority score and the date your file was completed."
Today I get an email about a status update. Was bracing for an II or rejection, but then I was greeted with this: "Your file is complete, and has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee for further decision."
What? I thought the adcom was forwarded my stuff since 7/20. They're just getting it now?
II today! I went straight from the Comp Review to the interview message. IS complete 7/24.
Congrats! What dates were you able to select from?
On the interview message it said you may find the first month is January but try to select an interview between Sept and Dec. I got 2/10 but I emailed them to see if I could get an interview sooner. Never hurts to ask right? I'm assuming the Feb date is because I have a 29.