You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Been 1 month for me as well. Nothing.. sighs
John glances out his window, looking for signs of the apocalypse, which would be a sign that he should probably start reviewing the pile of applications on his desk that has grown so large that other members of the admissions committee consider it to be part of the nearby Appalachian Mountains. At once, he is both pleased and angered to see premedical students relaxing on the adjacent lawn, enjoying the last weeks of summer without having to worry about filling out any more secondary applications. On the one hand, it is a sign that he can continue to play Candy Crush without being bothered by the impending end of the world. On the other hand, he is angered by the easygoing nature of the students. After all, just because it is the weekend and most admissions offices are closed doesn't mean that they shouldn't be perpetually plagued by the pre-med neuroticism. With a gleeful smile, he changes a few applicants' statuses from "complete" to "forwarded". When he visits SDN the next hour, he is pleased to notice that anxiety and disorder have again been restored to the premedical world. With his eyes glistening with tears of joy, he pulls out his iPhone, and promptly completes his 1000th level of Candy Crush since the application cycle began. He calls Honcho to inform him of his incredible progress. They share a laugh and John feels content, knowing that the shade from the pile of applications won't be going anywhere soon, which saves him from dipping into his six-figure salary to pay for proper blinds.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally got the MAY status today!
Congrats!II today!
I'm so excited. It's my first one.
Congrats! Did you go straight to that or did you have another status first?II today!
I'm so excited. It's my first one.
Congrats! Did you go straight to that or did you have another status first?
Thanks! I had the "further" status update a few days ago.
Ahhh! Hopefully my further status changes soon. Are you IS or OOS?Thanks! I had the "further" status update a few days ago.
Last edited:
Been sitting at the "MAY" status for over a week now. It looks like most people get an II a few days after a MAY status though.
Yeah someone did a couple weeks back.Is there anyone on here that hasn't even been sent a secondary yet? Or a notice that you won't be receiving a secondary
Is there anyone on here that hasn't even been sent a secondary yet? Or a notice that you won't be receiving a secondary
I haven't received a secondary yet, but only verified 8/12. Just hoping to make it through the screen.
I haven't received a secondary yet, but only verified 8/12. Just hoping to make it through the screen.
My preliminary app was received July 8. I called last week and they said, "Don't worry, it can take 6-8weeks +" But it seems like so many people have already submitted secondaries and are getting interviews. I hope this doesn't mean a rejection is on the way!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Been complete since 7/21 and still no update...
I'm in the same boat. Just clinging on to the fact that they haven't rejected us yet atleast!
Last edited:
My preliminary app was received July 8. I called last week and they said, "Don't worry, it can take 6-8weeks +" But it seems like so many people have already submitted secondaries and are getting interviews. I hope this doesn't mean a rejection is on the way!
Thanks for the info! I hope not too!
Hey everyone!
I'm currently a 4th year at MCV/VCU and I thought I'd pop in and answer any questions you may have. I remember how stressful of a time it was to be in your position and because now I have a little bit of time, thought i'd come and help out. I'm very familiar with how the entire application process is done and can answer any questions about the school itself and my experiences. I'm also doing my clinical years at the Inova campus near DC, so any questions about that are welcome as well. I think the Inova campus, where 25-30 students each year go to, is one of the well kept secrets because they don't go a very good job advertising to the students what they are all about. Every single one of my classmates who came up to do a rotation up here all regret not coming up! There are + and - of course, but I'd be happy to discuss.
Probably the only thing i'm not very familiar with is the new curriculum but everything else I'd be happy to answer questions for. Good luck everyone!
@k0b3, Can you please tell little more about how you compare MCV to the INOVA campus for clinical years? Which place get more volume, complex cases, more hands on as opposed to observing, more research opportunity, and residency placement. Other than location preference, what would be the plus for INOVA campus over MCV?
How many people here have been complete since early July and have had no update? This is getting really frustrating. I saw we bombard them with emails all at the same time haha
Do you mean you've received and submitted a secondary?How many people here have been complete since early July and have had no update? This is getting really frustrating. I saw we bombard them with emails all at the same time haha
Yes, as in secondary received and application forwarded to CommitteeDo you mean you've received and submitted a secondary?
Received II today!! MAY status on 8/17
does anyone know the process of when the early decision applicants find out? on the admissions website, it says that ED applicants will be informed on OR before Oct 1st...so does that mean they'll wait to let everyone know on Oct 1st or let you know as soon as you go through committee?
*edit- to find out about an acceptance/rejection/hold after having interviewed.
*edit- to find out about an acceptance/rejection/hold after having interviewed.
I'm with you. Also got the MAY status on 8/10 and no word since then.
What is the general consensus for people who have received the MAY status? I received mine on 8/10 and still haven't heard anything. I'm wondering if I've just focused on the posts where people heard in a few days after the status update
@k0b3, Can you please tell little more about how you compare MCV to the INOVA campus for clinical years? Which place get more volume, complex cases, more hands on as opposed to observing, more research opportunity, and residency placement. Other than location preference, what would be the plus for INOVA campus over MCV?
Sure! Inova is the major referral center for all of DC, so we definitely see a large volume of complex cases and the hospital is extremely busy. From speaking with my classmates down at MCV, I definitely think we get much more hands on opportunities and get to learn a lot more, simply because our class size is so much smaller. For example, I was completely alone for a few rotations like medicine and surgery, and was never in a group larger than 2-3. This is good and bad because you will learn a TON because you are the focus of all the pimping and teaching, but it is bad because you can't "hide out" when things get tough or have other students to kind of lean on. But i promise you will learn a ton. Also just the smaller class size means no fighting for any opportunities (even to a point of going to so many surgeries you get sick of them!). Deans tell us the students up at INOVA have a much larger on average increase from step 1 to step 2 board scores, which shows you how much the students learn. You also get to work with students from Georgetown and GW (along with other schools/students), but you will never be on the same team as them.
In terms of being at MCV, there is without question more research opportunities. Residency placement is probably slightly stronger down at MCV but this is just because of the number of students that stay there. The downside of INOVA is that there isn't a residency program for a lot of the super competitive specialities (surgical specialties, etc) so you can't network as well or really find that research. This doesn't necessarily mean you won't match into these specialities, but it can make it a little tougher. Also the cost of living is much higher. Another downside is that the group sizes are so small you can be stuck with the same student the entire year as your "partner" which means if you don't get alone with him or her, it can be a long year.
I would say overall, unless you are certain you need tons of research and for sure want to go for a super competitive specialty, Inova is a fantastic option. You get to live near DC, see a great diversity of patients (MCV is predominately african americans + caucasians), and the small class size affords a lot of benefits and the deans are very receptive to feedback and make changes VERY quickly. The students up here are basically "spoiled" with free goodies, frequent free meals + meal money, and the administration is very good about sending reminder emails and being on top of you, just because the class size is small. I would highly recommend anyone who isn't tied down to MCV to check it out!
does anyone know the process of when the early decision applicants find out? on the admissions website, it says that ED applicants will be informed on OR before Oct 1st...so does that mean they'll wait to let everyone know on Oct 1st or let you know as soon as you go through committee?
*edit- to find out about an acceptance/rejection/hold after having interviewed.
Have you interviewed already? Mine is Tuesday!
I'm with you. Also got the MAY status on 8/10 and no word since then.
Alright, let's hope for the best!
Maybe its just our date 😀 Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waiting since 7/10! It feels like everyone is moving through everything so much faster than me.
Waiting since 7/10! It feels like everyone is moving through everything so much faster than me.
I hear ya!
Have you interviewed already? Mine is Tuesday!
No not yet! I interview Wednesday!! Good luck and I'll let you know if I hear anything in terms of ED.
Still no secondary for me either..Anyone else still waiting on a secondary from VCU? OOS applicant hoping to make it through the screen.
It's been 3 weeks since VCU gave me the "very interested" status. Guess I shouldn't have poked fun at John 😉
Sending lots of good vibes out to all those in limbo. I can't get over the fact that some people haven't received status updates – or even secondaries – yet. 🙁 Let's hope good news is just around the bend.
Sending lots of good vibes out to all those in limbo. I can't get over the fact that some people haven't received status updates – or even secondaries – yet. 🙁 Let's hope good news is just around the bend.
Still no secondary for me either..
Saw your post in the GWU thread as well, hoping we both get secondaries soon! 🙂
If poking fun at John puts you in admissions exile I think both of us can expect to be updated next August 😉It's been 3 weeks since VCU gave me the "very interested" status. Guess I shouldn't have poked fun at John 😉
Sending lots of good vibes out to all those in limbo. I can't get over the fact that some people haven't received status updates – or even secondaries – yet. 🙁 Let's hope good news is just around the bend.
Rejected just now. It's been swell guys. We're all gonna make it
Sorry! Good luck to you! I love your profile pic btw lol 🙂Rejected just now. It's been swell guys. We're all gonna make it
You may get an interview. Depend on how John is feeling. 😉finally got the MAY status.
Can someone remind me what this implies in terms of all the multiple status VCU bombards us with?
Edit: Looks like I bought myself another delay.
Last edited:
finally got the MAY status.
Can someone remind me what this implies in terms of all the multiple status VCU bombards us with?
Seems most ppl who get the MAY status end up with an II within a week or so, but a few have gotten that status and not received anything else but silence for weeks. So hopefully for you it's the latter.
Still sitting on complete 
OMG I finally got the "MAY" status like 30 minutes ago after being complete since 7/9!!
Seems most ppl who get the MAY status end up with an II within a week or so, but a few have gotten that status and not received anything else but silence for weeks. So hopefully for you it's the latter.
I think you mean "former." Or else you're really mean.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Complete the same day, maybe John will shower me with some love too. Or really anything! I haven't heard a peep since my first complete status. Ohhhh Johnny Boy, where are youuuuu?OMG I finally got the "MAY" status like 30 minutes ago after being complete since 7/9!!
Still no secondary for me either..
I just got the secondary! Hoping yours comes soon as well! 🙂
I think you mean "former." Or else you're really mean.
Lol yea I thought that's what I meant, but I guess I used the word incorrectly😳. As competitive as the app cycle is, I never wish anybody anything but good luck lol so yes I meant I hope @hoihaie gets an II soon

As long as there are IIs and John jokes it will be fun 😉Lol yea I thought that's what I meant, but I guess I used the word incorrectly😳. As competitive as the app cycle is, I never wish anybody anything but good luck lol so yes I meant I hope @hoihaie gets an II soon![]()
Congrats! Nothing for me yet. My mcat is relatively low, so we'll see! Good luck!I just got the secondary! Hoping yours comes soon as well! 🙂
...who?