2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1

Would love to know what made them hold on so long, but the email specifically says they don't discuss individual decisions. Oh well.

Best of luck to everyone else!
It's bittersweet, but the reason is most likely that they liked your application. They held onto it but ultimately ran out of int spots.

Just a reminder of how crazy this whole process is: brown interviewed fewer than 7% of applicants this year.

Keep your heads up and good luck on the season home stretch!
 
So, when I interviewed here, I was told we would receive the committee's decision on February 29th. Has anyone heard yet?
 
Congrats to those accepted! And to those on the waitlist, keep the faith. There is often a lot of movement.

MS3 here, happy to answer questions you may have.

Hey Insomniyack,

Thanks for the message! I had a quick question about Second Look, do you know if spouses will be allowed to attend?

Thanks!
 
Hey Insomniyack,

Thanks for the message! I had a quick question about Second Look, do you know if spouses will be allowed to attend?

Thanks!
Spouses are encouraged to attend! I don't have the details on this year's second look yet, but in year's past there have been panels/event geared toward welcoming significant others. Recruiting is a family deal!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it worth it for me to contact them about how interested I am in the program?
Not sure about last year's waitlist. But I have a friend who was waitlisted for the MD program and she was told in the email that she should definitely contact them if she has strong interest in attending. I know the selection process may be somewhat different for the ScM program but I get the sense that Brown wants to know, if you have strong interest! I hope you get some good news in the coming weeks.
 
I am! Accepted in February, and currently finishing up my 4th year of University 🙂

Thank you! I'm considering Brown (for this upcoming cycle) and I'm in my fourth year right now. I was just wondering how worth it it would be given how much preference they have for nontrads.
 
Thank you! I'm considering Brown (for this upcoming cycle) and I'm in my fourth year right now. I was just wondering how worth it it would be given how much preference they have for nontrads.

Also traditional! I think the most important thing for Brown is showing your passion for the things you love. Also keep in mind that almost all of the PLME kids are coming in straight after graduation from undergrad, so there will certainly be a sizable cohort of traditional students in every class. Good Luck!
 
Can you explain what the curriculum is like in ScM? Additional classes everyday?
There are extra classes like once or twice per week. I'm not in the PCPM (ScM) program so I can't give you too many details on that, but the schedule is integrated with the regular first year class schedule which should be available publicly if you do some digging on the website.
 
There are extra classes like once or twice per week. I'm not in the PCPM (ScM) program so I can't give you too many details on that, but the schedule is integrated with the regular first year class schedule which should be available publicly if you do some digging on the website.
thank you, will do!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I correct in assuming that Brown has not rejected anyone post-II ?
"anyone Post-II....post-II............II..............I........" My voice echoed through the cavernous wasteland. I hadn't seen another human in weeks, and the water supply was running low. If I didn't make it to Elzederon by nightfall then the journey was for naught.
 
"anyone Post-II....post-II............II..............I........" My voice echoed through the cavernous wasteland. I hadn't seen another human in weeks, and the water supply was running low. If I didn't make it to Elzederon by nightfall then the journey was for naught.

I don't believe they reject anyone post-II; only waitlist and accept until first day of class. I would assume rejections go out then?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! Yes, today. Around noon EST. And somebody just messaged me to ask about updates, so I'll write it here, too - I sent 2 update letters and an additional LOR. I'm not sure what any of these things did, but I definitely did express continued interest.
Thanks!
 
I'll get on this train - I just got in off of the waitlist as well!!! So ecstatic to be going to my top choice.
See all you beautiful people in Providence!

Sent a Letter of Intent, an update, and a couple phone calls too.

Congrats to everyone who got off of the waitlist! Can't wait to see you all in August! 🙂
 
Hi! Yes, today. Around noon EST. And somebody just messaged me to ask about updates, so I'll write it here, too - I sent 2 update letters and an additional LOR. I'm not sure what any of these things did, but I definitely did express continued interest.

This might be a little ignorant, but... When you send in an additional LOR, how do you do it? Do you ask the LOR writer to send it directly to the admissions office? Also, do you let your LOR writer know that it's because you're on a wait-list you want to get off of?

Thanks! 🙂