2015-2016 Brown University (Alpert) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what's the waitlist movement game like here?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because they consider you to be more worthwhile to interview than some of the people who they have already given a rejection to. If they weren't considering you at all at this moment, you would have already been axed.
Which leads me to wonder if people really messed up their interview that bad.

I think it's a very easy to be like "If they aren't interested, why not just reject me already and stop stringing me along?"

On the other hand, by stringing you along it opens up the possibility of receiving an II down the road, which can and does happen. Although the uncertainty does suck, ultimately I think most people would rather be strung along for the chance of an II than be rejected immediately.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which leads me to wonder if people really messed up their interview that bad.

It doesn't necessarily work like that - AKA - you're not necessarily given an interview invitation just because someone totally bombed their interview. One of the admissions people told us on our interview day that Brown only keeps a few acceptance spots open per interview day so that interviewees from all dates have a fairly equivalent chance of being accepted (I'm sure that there are more acceptance positions in the first interview batches than the last interview batches though - as is a characteristic of rolling admissions). So plenty of people could have done perfectly well on their interview, but because there simply weren't enough acceptance spots, those people are placed on the waitlist.

Also, they are "stringing you along" because they often don't offer interview invitations until like a month or less before the interview. As they choose to accept certain people, they need to invite people from different backgrounds in order to mold the upcoming class into a diverse, interesting class whose members seem like they can get along with each other. These people from backgrounds that fit into these niches are kept waiting until the school sees a need for them.

Ultimately, silence is always better than a rejection at schools like Brown that reject pre-interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know when the last interviews take place?

Did they say acceptances are being released 2/1?

Yes. Lol.

I was hoping they meant *by* 2/1, but I guess they're sticking with *on*.

I do appreciate that I suppose. They're the only school to give me an exact date. Hopefully they honor it, lol.

Yes. Lol.

I was hoping they meant *by* 2/1, but I guess they're sticking with *on*.

I do appreciate that I suppose. They're the only school to give me an exact date. Hopefully they honor it, lol.

This is the most amazing school and I know they will honor that date! Good luck and hope to see you at Second Look!

This is the most amazing school and I know they will honor that date! Good luck and hope to see you at Second Look!

Honestly, I don't know if I can afford a second look LOL. Most likely just gonna have to decide from afar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone who got accepted today! Those on the waitlist, do not lose hope! There seems to be good movement on the waitlist at Brown.

Yay! Do you know if there is much movement before May? Or only after the day that people are not allowed to hold multiple spots?

I believe there is more movement after 4/30 but some movement does occur before hand. At least this is what I remember from past threads.

I have yet to receive an interview :(

Congrats to those accepted! SO SO HAPPY FOR YA'LL!!! yay!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
For those wondering about waitlist movement...

Last year, almost 20% of the class came from the waitlist. So hang in there!

Anyone know if all the interviews have been completed or at least sent out?

Has anyone received a II recently, or know when Brown interviews until? I couldn't find a concrete answer on their website.

Has anyone received a II recently, or know when Brown interviews until? I couldn't find a concrete answer on their website.

The website says through February. No interviews in March I'm assuming.

Cheers!

The website says through February. No interviews in March I'm assuming.

Cheers!

https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/admission/application-process

I'm interested where you read that? This link says interview status will be communicated by mid-March so I wouldn't give up hope. I may be being optimistic, but they've held onto our apps this long with rejections going out every month, so there is probably one more round of II to go out before the final rejections. It's not over until the rejection email comes!

Reactions: 4 users
Does brown take updates? I don't see an additional documents tab on their portal.

https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/admission/application-process

I'm interested where you read that? This link says interview status will be communicated by mid-March so I wouldn't give up hope. I may be being optimistic, but they've held onto our apps this long with rejections going out every month, so there is probably one more round of II to go out before the final rejections. It's not over until the rejection email comes!

https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/admission/interview

"Interview days are held twice weekly beginning in September 2015. Applicants will be invited by email to schedule interviews on selected dates (Thursdays and Fridays) through February 2016."

Sorry, I was just seeing this statement. Didn't mean to offend/upset!

https://www.brown.edu/academics/medical/admission/interview

"Interview days are held twice weekly beginning in September 2015. Applicants will be invited by email to schedule interviews on selected dates (Thursdays and Fridays) through February 2016."

Sorry, I was just seeing this statement. Didn't mean to offend/upset!

Not offended at all. That is very confusing. The next sentence on that says March too so it sounds a little confusing.

Oh well, we will know soon I guess. Best of luck to everyone =)

Not offended at all. That is very confusing. The next sentence on that says March too so it sounds a little confusing.

Oh well, we will know soon I guess. Best of luck to everyone =)

You are right! The next sentence sounds like everyone finds out about interview status in March! I think there is still time! Good luck everyone. I think tcmiddle1934 is correct!

Reeeejected. This was one of the nicest rejection emails I've received though, I like that they say that they appreciate the time and effort we put into our applications :) Good luck to all still in the running!

Other folks still hanging on here?? not sure why..

LOL: spoke too soon, goodbye brown!

Hmm... no rejection... no II...rather confused.

Hmm... no rejection... no II...rather confused.
Same here. Not really sure what to make of it

Edit: Lol nevermind, just got the rejection email

Last edited:
Rejected. Good luck everyone else still in the running

The rejection could come tomorrow. That's what happened with me and Einstein.