2015-2016 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. Describe what you think is an underserved community and explain any experience you have in working with underserved communities - this can include clinical and non-clinical experience. (maximum 500 words)
  2. Please tell us why you are interested in attending the CMU College of Medicine (CMED)? (maximum 250 words)
  3. CMED is committed to recruiting a student body that represents the diversity of our community, our state, and our nation. How do you define diversity, what experience have you had with diversity, and how would you benefit from an environment that embraces diversity? (maximum of 250 words)
  4. In looking beyond graduation from medical school, please describe what you anticipate to be the biggest challenges you will face as a physician. (maximum 250 words)
  5. Please provide any additional information that you wish the CMED admissions committee to consider. (i.e., novel experiences, extenuating circumstances, alternate life paths, etc.) (maximum of 250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying this year. LizzyM 62, non-urm, oos. Let's see how this goes!

Reactions: 1 user
YAY! OOS here as well, but close ties to michigan!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Received the secondary July 1, but have yet to start because it's a bit intimidating. I have only a week before I pass the 2-week recommended deadline!

Received the secondary July 1, but have yet to start because it's a bit intimidating. I have only a week before I pass the 2-week recommended deadline!

Don't give up! I'm currently in the same boat but with different schools. They have a pretty focused mission compared to a lot of other schools, so try and reflect on literally anything in your life or future goals that aligns with it and hopefully that might make it a little easier.

Don't give up! I'm currently in the same boat but with different schools. They have a pretty focused mission compared to a lot of other schools, so try and reflect on literally anything in your life or future goals that aligns with it and hopefully that might make it a little easier.

Thanks! I've been staring at the computer screen for the last 2 hours without writing anything. Finally started on the first essay...hopefully I'll have this secondary submitted by this weekend.

For the first question, does it mean define underserved or give an example?

I would do both- generally its best to provide support/examples to your statement...500 words is a lot.

I both defined an underserved community (according to how I view it), and gave an example/characteristics of an underserved community. Like above poster said, 500 words is plenty of space to do both.

I'm currently writing the "Why CMED" essay now and I can't help but think that most applicants will be writing about their connection to Michigan. I know the school's mission is to train physicians to provide healthcare to underserved areas in Michigan, but I'm OOS and have no real ties to Michigan. Would it seem trivial to include something the Credit/No Credit grading system?

Would it be bad etiquette to write "fire up chips!" in the additional information section?

Jk, but what should we really write here? It says it's required and I really don't have much to add... I don't want to just ramble on about nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be bad etiquette to write "fire up chips!" in the additional information section?

Jk, but what should we really write here? It says it's required and I really don't have much to add... I don't want to just ramble on about nothing.

I'm going to write about my poor grades during college, and how working and deciding on medicine gave me the motivation to perform well academically during my postbacc. The prompt is obviously open to anything. If I had to write about something else, I would probably update them on new activities since submitting my primary.

I'm going to write about my poor grades during college, and how working and deciding on medicine gave me the motivation to perform well academically during my postbacc. The prompt is obviously open to anything. If I had to write about something else, I would probably update them on new activities since submitting my primary.

I think I will just write about a couple hobbies/activities I have done since the primary then. I really don't have anything meaningful to add as I have already talked about all that stuff in my secondaries/primary app.

I think I will just write about a couple hobbies/activities I have done since the primary then. I really don't have anything meaningful to add as I have already talked about all that stuff in my secondaries/primary app.

Good luck! This is one hell of a secondary...they cover so much it's hard to find anything to write in the "additional information" box.

Good luck! This is one hell of a secondary...they cover so much it's hard to find anything to write in the "additional information" box.

Thanks, you too! It was tough, but I luckily had enough things to talk about until that additional part.

Just submitted and was immediately marked as complete. Now the waiting game begins...

I have not done Physics Lab II and I only have one semester of English in college. I was looking at pre-requisites for CMED, and apparently, neither physics nor English is a pre-requisite. It seems like they only require Biology and Organic Chemistry and/or Biochemistry as prerequisites? Can anyone confirm this?

https://www.cmich.edu/colleges/cmed/students/Pages/Admissions Requirements.aspx

Today is the day I sit down and finally write this secondary. I'm depending on you guys to hold me accountable!! :)

Is anyone else having trouble with the link they emailed to check application status? I keep getting an error and can't find a status check anywhere on their website.

Gosh....they just had to send me this crazy secondary tonight when I leave for faster horses at 11...:(

Reactions: 2 users
Just got mine today too! (Such a relief; I was starting to get worried because my app went out with the first round.) You guys weren't kidding... This is a tough one. I cannot wait to not have to write essays about myself after this year.

Yes, thank you! Except it's showing that my "Application Complete" is "incomplete" with a red "!" next it, despite everything else be submitted and complete. Is this normal?

Hmm, doesn't sound like it, but I am still waiting on a LOR (because of course..) so mine isn't complete yet. Maybe call today if it still shows incomplete?

Yes, thank you! Except it's showing that my "Application Complete" is "incomplete" with a red "!" next it, despite everything else be submitted and complete. Is this normal?

I'm having this same problem. Did you call?

Just received my secondary yesterday. What a beast!

Does anyone know if they will grant a II without receiving all LOR? I am 4/6

II yesterday around 9am. Complete 7/16/15

Did anyone receive a complete email or does it just say complete on the online portal for you?

Is it worrisome to not have a secondary yet after being verified in June? I'm missing one LOR, but I don't think that's required for a secondary anyway. Had my MCAT score since beginning of July

@EAGLESK93 I believe that Central Michigan screens so not everyone will recieve a secondary application

Is it worrisome to not have a secondary yet after being verified in June? I'm missing one LOR, but I don't think that's required for a secondary anyway. Had my MCAT score since beginning of July
I was verified 6/25 and received the secondary 7/6

you have to have a min 24 old mcat or 498 new mcat and 3.25 GPA to get a secondary if you have those and still haven't received one I would call

you have to have a min 24 old mcat or 498 new mcat and 3.25 GPA to get a secondary if you have those and still haven't received one I would call

I do have those minimums, guess I shall be making a call. Appreciate it!

II yesterday! Very excited to interview here. Secondary completed on 7/7.

Does anyone know the chance of getting an acceptance after interviewing? Also any resources on how to prepare for this type of interview?

Last edited:
if any current students could weigh in on how to prepare for the interview that would be amazing:)

Oops, I am way outside of the recommended 2-week deadline... should I explain myself in the additional comments section (I have had 2 jobs this summer + taking care of my baby cousin) or just leave it be?

II on August 19th. IS.

Last edited:
Oops, I am way outside of the recommended 2-week deadline... should I explain myself in the additional comments section (I have had 2 jobs this summer + taking care of my baby cousin) or just leave it be?

It recommended, so I wouldn't draw attention to it. Since they are looking at so many applications, they probably won't even put together that your secondary was sent on X date and on X date it was submitted. Most likely just the day it comes in matters most. But thats just my opinion..