2015-2016 Drexel University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but around how many people have been pulled off the spring hold list? / Do we still have a chance or not worth your hopes?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Waitlisted today. Interviewed late January. Does everyone's waitlist letter say "Although impressed with your credentials, the committee..."

I'm probably just reading too much into it.
 
How long after the status change from "decision made - letter will be mailed" until you actually received the letter? I'm going out of town for a few days and just wondering what timeline to expect.
 
How long after the status change from "decision made - letter will be mailed" until you actually received the letter? I'm going out of town for a few days and just wondering what timeline to expect.

How long was your application at the committee review phase?
 
How long after the status change from "decision made - letter will be mailed" until you actually received the letter? I'm going out of town for a few days and just wondering what timeline to expect.

Uhh, like a week and im not far from Philly
 
And also how many people are on it.. seems like there's a lot. That plus the fact that so many still seem to be on pre-interview hold makes me feel like they're being very cautious with their acceptances to ensure a high yield.

Edit: just checked MSAR. Approximately 250 waitlisted each cycle and 15 accepted off of the waitlist.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And also how many people are on it.. seems like there's a lot. That plus the fact that so many still seem to be on pre-interview hold makes me feel like they're being very cautious with their acceptances to ensure a high yield.

Edit: just checked MSAR. Approximately 250 waitlisted each cycle and 15 accepted off of the waitlist.

Those don't seem like great odds. =/
 
Letter mailed to my address *crosses fingers*
I interviewed on Feb 17 too and have the same status now...
This whole, "Yeah, you'll find out when it gets to you" deal is making me feel like the decision isn't going to be a good one.
I could be wrong though, and boy have I never hoped to be so wrong before!

Anyone else interview on the 17th of February, or sometime close to that and NOT have this status?
("The Admissions Committee has reached a decision on your application. A letter will be mailed to your preferred address.")
 
I interviewed on Feb 17 too and have the same status now...
This whole, "Yeah, you'll find out when it gets to you" deal is making me feel like the decision isn't going to be a good one.
I could be wrong though, and boy have I never hoped to be so wrong before!

Anyone else interview on the 17th of February, or sometime close to that and NOT have this status?
("The Admissions Committee has reached a decision on your application. A letter will be mailed to your preferred address.")
I interviewed with you guys and I haven't gotten a status change yet


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Anyone else interview on the 17th of February, or sometime close to that and NOT have this status?
("The Admissions Committee has reached a decision on your application. A letter will be mailed to your preferred address.")

I interviewed the day after you, my status still says no decision has been made.
 
I interviewed 12/14 and they've just mailed my decision... I didn't get the "admissions committee is reviewing your app" until a week ago though. No idea what that means. My timeline seems really stretched out compared to others :/
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Damn Drexel, that was faster than expected. I interviewed in early March and my letter is in the mail as of today. Does hearing so soon mean anything good or bad ?
 
Does anyone happen to know what the mission of Drexel is? It seems like patient care, especially for the local community. Can anyone else confirm?

Also, what were the interviews like? I see on MSAR that there's 1 open-file faculty interview and 1 group interview. How were they? Are they stressful? How long did they go for?

Thanks for any insight!
 
Does anyone happen to know what the mission of Drexel is? It seems like patient care, especially for the local community. Can anyone else confirm?

Also, what were the interviews like? I see on MSAR that there's 1 open-file faculty interview and 1 group interview. How were they? Are they stressful? How long did they go for?

Thanks for any insight!

When I interviewed it was actually only one open-file faculty interview. There's no group interview but there is a 30 minute block for a writing sample.
 
Does anyone happen to know what the mission of Drexel is? It seems like patient care, especially for the local community. Can anyone else confirm?

Also, what were the interviews like? I see on MSAR that there's 1 open-file faculty interview and 1 group interview. How were they? Are they stressful? How long did they go for?

Thanks for any insight!

My personal experience:

There was one faculty interview and a writing sample.
Interviews supposedly go on for half an hour, but mine only went on for 15 minutes! (Probably because the interviewer was late/busy.)
Despite being noticeably rushed, it wasn't all that stressful.
Just be prepared to talk about your motivations for pursuing medicine and show your interest for the school.
It would definitely be a good idea to emphasize your commitment to primary care (if that's what your inclined to).
 
When I interviewed it was actually only one open-file faculty interview. There's no group interview but there is a 30 minute block for a writing sample.

I remember them saying the tour guides/people we ate lunch with were evaluating us throughout the day? So maybe that's the "group" part? So so so informal though.
 
The students we met with did submit evaluations. Nothing overly detailed, I don't think, but if you're loud and obnoxious during the tour it'll certainly count against you.
 
When I interviewed it was actually only one open-file faculty interview. There's no group interview but there is a 30 minute block for a writing sample.

My personal experience:

There was one faculty interview and a writing sample.
Interviews supposedly go on for half an hour, but mine only went on for 15 minutes! (Probably because the interviewer was late/busy.)
Despite being noticeably rushed, it wasn't all that stressful.
Just be prepared to talk about your motivations for pursuing medicine and show your interest for the school.
It would definitely be a good idea to emphasize your commitment to primary care (if that's what your inclined to).

I remember them saying the tour guides/people we ate lunch with were evaluating us throughout the day? So maybe that's the "group" part? So so so informal though.

The students we met with did submit evaluations. Nothing overly detailed, I don't think, but if you're loud and obnoxious during the tour it'll certainly count against you.

Thanks! I appreciate the input!

I would love to attend Drexel, so I'm excited/nervous about interviewing there. I'm not sure exactly which specialty I would want to pursue, but I'm open to primary care. However, my application is geared a little more into research. I intend to focus more on service aspects, however.

It sounds like recent interviewees are receiving their decisions much sooner than anticipated. I suppose that makes sense since interviewees would need a decision before April 30th?
 
funny story - I logged in to my portal to check my status, but when I went past the first login to the second, it said that my credentials were invalid and my account got locked out... so now I have to wait and hear back from the dean about unlocking my account

womp womp
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
funny story - I logged in to my portal to check my status, but when I went past the first login to the second, it said that my credentials were invalid and my account got locked out... so now I have to wait and hear back from the dean about unlocking my account

womp womp

The same thing happenend to me! On the second login screen my same ID and pin I've been using didn't work and it said I was locked out. I called admissions and they said I just had to wait for it to unlock itself, but I still can't log in. Let me know how/when you are able to unlock your account!! Thanks! I'd really appreciate it!
 
Ah I know that sucks. Like I said above, lots of people who are attending now were waitlisted. Drexel interviews a lot of people, so a good chunk get waitlisted. Hopefully there will be enough movement on the waitlist for you.

I noticed on MSAR that approximately 250 applicants are waitlisted and only 15 were admitted from the waitlist. Is this accurate? From your experience, how many of your classmates were admitted from the waitlist?