You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Duke University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Reject letter. Awesome
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Letter? As in snail mail?...Reject letter. Awesome
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
It's FINALLY over!+1
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same. And this is literally the only school that addressed its rejections "Dear Applicant" pre OR post interview that I applied to. Wtf.
Finally unwatching this thread!
Finally unwatching this thread!
Letter? As in snail mail?...
Mine is a PDF of a letter but attached to an email. Bye Duke 🙁
7
708445
It took them a whole week and it wasn't even personalized 😛Same. And this is literally the only school that addressed its rejections "Dear Applicant" pre OR post interview that I applied to. Wtf.
Finally unwatching this thread!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
+1Reject letter. Awesome
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Rejected by email. Oh well
Joining the rejection train as well. Good luck to everyone who was accepted.
7
708445
Never give up! Trust your instinctsanyone here beginning to consider Caribbean schools?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
It was a good run. Never expected an II from Duke so this rejection doesn't hurt that much.
Ladies, for SLW, are you dressing business casual, casual, or casual casual?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did duke reject anyone post interview or were they all WL?
It seems like they rejected a significant amount of interviewees.Did duke reject anyone post interview or were they all WL?
Rejected post interview here. I think most rejects on this thread are in the same boat. Really felt confident about this interview and the MMI. I had strong stats and letters but maybe not enough research?Did duke reject anyone post interview or were they all WL?
Congrats to those accepted and good luck on those waitlisted!
Ladies, for SLW, are you dressing business casual, casual, or casual casual?
I was going to say casual, but events with the deans and faculty may suggest less casual... Any current students to help??
I'd say pack for casual & business-casual unless you hear otherwise. I believe there will be dinner at a faculty member's home one night, and it wouldn't be bad to look decent for that. Definitely don't over-do it; it's supposed to be relaxed and comfortable, but maybe leave the Marilyn Manson tees home.I was going to say casual, but events with the deans and faculty may suggest less casual... Any current students to help??
7
708445
"Dear John" style pdf attachment. Congrats on the waitlist, though I imagine two years in a row must be excruciating. Anybody else notice the big jump in II this year? 900 people completed the MMI. YeeshLetter? As in snail mail?...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
A lot of those kids are also current med students (close to even a half, at least a third), so I wouldn't get too bummed about it. Trust me, I was to the point where I had a committee letter ready for next cycle. Anything is possible!Damn, there are hella people on the FB group. Doesn't look good for us WLers 🙁
Those of you who emailed tax returns to the DukeMed finaid office-- did you receive confirmation that the forms were received? I've been getting radio silence...
Update: Didn't get any sort of confirmation, but the forms were marked as received in their system. Yay!
Update: Didn't get any sort of confirmation, but the forms were marked as received in their system. Yay!
Last edited:
Financial aid offer received today via email! Duke, while still not my cheapest option, was more generous than I expected. 🙂 Does anyone know if the offer is guaranteed for 4 years, or if it fluctuates year to year pending resubmit sion of forms? Also, have all merit scholarships offers been made?
I don't think much (or any?) merit aid has been offered yet. Scholarships should be released soon. I once asked about the average need-based aid across all four years, and the numbers were similar for each year. My understanding is that it can fluctuate a bit, but isn't likely to dramatically change, so long as you don't win the lottery. Maybe @Cambover can offer some clarity.Financial aid offer received today via email! Duke, while still not my cheapest option, was more generous than I expected. 🙂 Does anyone know if the offer is guaranteed for 4 years, or if it fluctuates year to year pending resubmit sion of forms? Also, have all merit scholarships offers been made?
I don't think much (or any?) merit aid has been offered yet. Scholarships should be released soon. I once asked about the average need-based aid across all four years, and the numbers were similar for each year. My understanding is that it can fluctuate a bit, but isn't likely to dramatically change, so long as you don't win the lottery. Maybe @Cambover can offer some clarity.
Financial aid is based off your financial situation yearly (no matter what school you go to) and off the estimated cost of living per annum. Second year, due to it being a 12-13 month period, is more expensive than first year (~11-months). There are a lot of scholarships during third year (+many outside scholarships covering tuition/room&board) so this year tends to be lighter. And if you didn't receive a merit scholarship as a first-year, there are several merit scholarships given for fourth year based on academic achievement.
So yes, it'll change. And if you're lucky, you can also get two years of med school paid for after matriculation.
Financial aid is based off your financial situation yearly (no matter what school you go to) and off the estimated cost of living per annum. Second year, due to it being a 12-13 month period, is more expensive than first year (~11-months). There are a lot of scholarships during third year (+many outside scholarships covering tuition/room&board) so this year tends to be lighter. And if you didn't receive a merit scholarship as a first-year, there are several merit scholarships given for fourth year based on academic achievement.
So yes, it'll change. And if you're lucky, you can also get two years of med school paid for after matriculation.
This is pretty much true but I'll expand a little bit. Like any school, you apply for aid yearly so it depends on your family's financial status each year. All four years tuition are the same but the total amount you pay (tuition, fees, transportation and all that cost of attendance stuff) can vary slightly based on the year. From the fin aid website: https://medschool.duke.edu/sites/default/files/field/attachments/MedBudget.pdf
Like Duke1k said, one thing you get at Duke that you can't get at 99% of other schools is the opportunity to pay partially or fully for 3rd year using research scholarships. HHMI, Doris Duke, internal scholarships, etc. can all offset tuition with some to the tune of 40k+. Some of the internal scholarships are big money and only Duke MD students are eligible. At most other schools you can only get research money if you take an additional year off.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cancelling my MD acceptance soon, so I hope it goes to one of you on the WL!!! My fiancée was recently accepted to a school I got into back in December, so of course I will be matriculating with her and doing the whole med school/residency journey together. Good luck everyone, and enjoy your time at Duke Med!
I'll be receiving my 2015 tax documents any moment now but for those of you who received financial aid offers, did you get finaid estimates based on 2014 tax documents or did you already have your most recent tax forms entered? When I filled out all the financial aid forms, I estimated 2015 using 2014 information so I guess I am just wondering if I will get a package in time with those estimates?
If we don't fill out parent's financial info on FAFSA, then most probably not going to get any need base aid from duke. In that case, do we still need to fill out Need Access Application or just FAFSA is good enough for federal loans?
I just can't get myself to cancel the acceptance... I might be coming to Duke with you guys!
I just can't get myself to cancel the acceptance... I might be coming to Duke with you guys!
She dumped you didn't she
Do you know how long it took to get your award after all of your forms were submitted?Financial aid offer received today via email! Duke, while still not my cheapest option, was more generous than I expected. 🙂 Does anyone know if the offer is guaranteed for 4 years, or if it fluctuates year to year pending resubmit sion of forms? Also, have all merit scholarships offers been made?
I submitted FAFSA and NeedAccess in late February, and my tax forms by the 2nd week of March.Do you know how long it took to get your award after all of your forms were submitted?
You should have come to SLW! It was really well organized and a lot of fun! Every accepted student seemed extremely nice, and the current students were the best! I was pretty set on coming here but now I have no doubt I will be part of DukeMed class of 2020! 🙂I just can't get myself to cancel the acceptance... I might be coming to Duke with you guys!
Nooo, no break up hahaha. Just really having to think about this decision!
Has anyone heard about merit scholarships yet?
Has anyone heard about merit scholarships yet?
During SL weekend, I met a few other prospies who have received merit scholarships...I believe that if a scholarship holder either withdraws from the school or (God forbid) chooses not to take the scholarship, it will be passed on to another student.
For those who went to SLW, did anybody mention when merit scholarships were going to be offered or if they already have?
EDIT: I see this question was already partially answered by the previous poster.
EDIT: I see this question was already partially answered by the previous poster.
Last edited:
See here for the fantastic match the 4th years just had:
https://medschool.duke.edu/about-us...l-blog/duke-students-celebrate-match-day-2016
PM me if you want a more specific breakdown of the match list.
https://medschool.duke.edu/about-us...l-blog/duke-students-celebrate-match-day-2016
PM me if you want a more specific breakdown of the match list.
Does Duke require a Dean's Certification or anything similar before matriculation? I'm trying to decide if I need to start trying to contact my old university. Thanks!
Does Duke require a Dean's Certification or anything similar before matriculation? I'm trying to decide if I need to start trying to contact my old university. Thanks!
I think you just need to have your school registrar send in an official transcript on your behalf and that should be it!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Were you accepted to DukeMed/any med school during the program? Trying to decide whether or not to attend Duke MBS but having a hard time finding information about the success of graduates. Thanks!Incoming Duke MBS student applying to DukeMed this cycle! My #1 choice!!
Withdrew my acceptance here as well...best of luck to everyone on the WL!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K