2015-2016 Georgetown University Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't mean to sound like a Parrot but I checked last year's thread and a lot of early (< 15) September completions heard back from today through the first week of November. Obviously not worth betting any money on them repeating a pattern, but it's something to keep in mind... Personally I'll just wait for an e-mail to pop up in my folder.
 
How do people recommend a Letter of interest format? Not sure how long it should be or what it should cover
 
Interviewing here on Tuesday, will I see anyone from here? 😀 Any last tips for the interview day?
 
Don't mean to sound like a Parrot but I checked last year's thread and a lot of early (< 15) September completions heard back from today through the first week of November. Obviously not worth betting any money on them repeating a pattern, but it's something to keep in mind... Personally I'll just wait for an e-mail to pop up in my folder.
Might've been worth the bet; rejected this morning (complete 9/23, LizzyM ~71) but not too torn up about it. Good luck to those still in the running! No news is good news.
 
Waitlisted just now, as was expected. Interviewed early September. Guess I'll get to submitting my LOI now! Good luck to everyone else receiving news this week.
 
Got dat waitlist. No big surprises here, but I thought mt interview went well and I enjoyed my visit a lot more than I was expecting. But alas, we must part ways (I'm declining my spot on the waitlist)! Best of luck to everyone else! Oh, interviewed 9/14 btw.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those that have taken the GUTS shuttle from the Dupont metro stop, is it easy to find? I'm local, so that's what I'll be doing, but is the bus stop pretty obvious? Or nah?
 
For those that have taken the GUTS shuttle from the Dupont metro stop, is it easy to find? I'm local, so that's what I'll be doing, but is the bus stop pretty obvious? Or nah?

Current student here! It's easy to find, just at the crossing of 20th Street and Massachusetts Avenue NW. Do need to cross the street to get there. It's near a metro bus stop. Normally you should see students waiting there. Good luck!
 
Based on MSAR + their 25/50/25 rule, they accept ~302 outright post-interview. That would leave less than 50 acceptances for the waitlist, which is composed of half of their interviewees. Seems fishy! Plus at least 2.5 those accepted will matriculate elsewhere, so 350 would leave them with a class of 140, at best.

When I came for interview, I heard that Georgetown has a really high percentage of students who would accept the offer. Meaning that those they admit really like the school.
I was asked "what would prevent you from coming to Georgetown if accepted" during the interview.
 
Maybe some current students (if any are lurking around) can provide some insight on this question. Because Georgetown is a Jesuit institution, are there any restrictions in place, whether it be limits to the curriculum, limits to what we can discuss and counsel patients on, etc., about reproductive health/family planning? For example, contraceptives, STIs, etc. I know that some institutions are more strict than others, and I can't seem to find any policies against discussing or learning those things on their website, but I figured I would ask.

We just discussed these questions in our ethics class. I would say I never feel any restriction, but I probably don't have enough experience to say so.
 
Awaiting decision for my late September interview date... Not feeling good about it,
Especially since I wasn't even asked why medicine/why Georgetown. Yikes.
 
Quick question, I am kinda new to sdn but I applied to Georgetown. Complete 8/7 and have not received an email for rejection or II, just under review according to the portal. Which is good bc I am still in the running but I wanted some thoughts from others bc I have a unique app. 508 Mcat 3.8 sc and regular gpa, underrepresented low socioeconomic status, with strong EC, LOR, PS, student athlete, publication, well written secondary ..Etc but I got a 123 on my cars section... (I suck)
Is there anyway they could have thrown an app like mine to the bottom of the pile, not rejecting it but holding out on offering me a II bc my red flag (cars 123) Or??? And I ask this bc I applied to range of schools and this seems to be the case for most, others that were complete later than me already were rejected or offered a II.
 
Last edited:
Quick question, I am kinda new to sdn but I applied to Georgetown. Complete 8/7 and have not received an email for rejection or II, just under review according to the portal. Which is good bc I am still in the running but I wanted some thoughts from others bc I have a unique app. 508 Mcat 3.8 with extremely strong EC, LOR, PS, student athlete, publication, well written secondary ..Etc but I got a 123 on my cars section... (I suck)
Is there anyway they could have thrown an app like mine to the bottom of the pile, not rejecting it but holding out on offering me a II bc my red flag (cars 123) Or??? And I ask this bc I applied to range of schools and this seems to be the case for most, others that were complete later than me already were rejected or offered a II.

What is cars?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meh, my CARS was a 124 and I had one of the first interviews here. I've secured pretty substantial scholarships this cycle so I really doubt that CARS is all that important.
 
Interviewed here yesterday! Love the program even more after Ms. Sullivan's speech. She definitely made me think a lot, I'm very glad she spoke to us. I interviewed with an MS4 who was really nice! I got asked why Georgetown and to talk about my journey into medicine, but other than that we mostly just talked about my time in choir, honestly, and I asked questions. Good luck to everyone interviewing soon!
 
Last edited:
For all those still waiting post-interview, do be aware that georgetown waitlists an incredible percentage of their applicants. Do not be upset if you get that message!
 
As a current M1, I am very happy to see so many of you interested in Georgetown. It's a great school and I enjoy my everyday here! If you have questions, you are more than welcome to ask me!
For those who are waiting post interview, don't be too worried, the process gets slow during peak season. I remember my admission took more than the time they told me.

----------in a small break for anatomy study
 
As a current M1, I am very happy to see so many of you interested in Georgetown. It's a great school and I enjoy my everyday here! If you have questions, you are more than welcome to ask me!
For those who are waiting post interview, don't be too worried, the process gets slow during peak season. I remember my admission took more than the time they told me.

----------in a small break for anatomy study

Thanks for answering questions!

1) How do you feel the attitude is within your class and at Georgetown overall? Collaborative or competitive?
2) Best thing about Georgetown? And then the worst thing?
 
Thanks for answering questions!

1) How do you feel the attitude is within your class and at Georgetown overall? Collaborative or competitive?
2) Best thing about Georgetown? And then the worst thing?

1) Definitely collaborative. People always post study materials and everything that helps. The goal is to let everyone pass. We are divided into societies and academic families, and get really close with family members. But that does not mean you will lose contact with others outside your family. We have many social events and have a lot of fun together! Especially after exams. It is said that Georgetown always prefer to admit nice and fun students.
2) Too many good things even though I am only here for three months. Can't tell which one is the best. But overall this is a school that makes me happy.
Worst thing is probably the old buildings and facilities. I seriously considered going to another school for their nice building, classrooms and super fancy anatomy lab. But I am so glad I still came here.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad