-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Howard University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
when did you interview??
I interviewed 2/23
Hey guys,
I have an interview next week and I was wondering if there is a place to put something small like a backpack, I know they had it at another school I interviewed at. Ill be flying in at midnight that morning so I don't want to pay a hotel fee just to leave a backpack in there. :/
I have an interview next week and I was wondering if there is a place to put something small like a backpack, I know they had it at another school I interviewed at. Ill be flying in at midnight that morning so I don't want to pay a hotel fee just to leave a backpack in there. :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
I have an interview next week and I was wondering if there is a place to put something small like a backpack, I know they had it at another school I interviewed at. Ill be flying in at midnight that morning so I don't want to pay a hotel fee just to leave a backpack in there. :/
they have a closet and the door is locked when you go on ur tour...
I forgot to mention earlier that my cGPA is 3.1 but my sGPA is 2.98 with post bacc grades included. On MSAR I saw that they do accept students with below a 3.0 sGPA, but on their website, they said that they interview students with a sGPA 3.o or above. I would really like to go to Howard. I have extensive research experience as well as experience working with under served populations (Health Leads in Baltimore).
Hi! If it is any consolation, I know of several current students who was in a similar GPA situation as you (one applied with that without doing a postbacc). If you are going to apply, make sure the other areas of your application is stellar. Highlight your strengths and how you fit into Howard's mission and values. I also did a postbacc prior to applying to HUCM. Feel free to msg me if you have any questions! =)
N
Nblufire12
Wow that's a full month before varens! I wonder what order they are doing this inI interviewed 2/23
I'm not completely sure about this but my friend who is at hucm said that they like to send applicants with similar stats to committee together and that it doesn't necessarily matter when you interview, so for instance if you have a high gpa/mcat you will be reviewed with others that have similar stats
Yea. I'm not entirely sure of how they tackle these applications. I'm sure they have a method to all of this lol
Let's see if it applies in this case. I'm an applicant with GPA 3.94 but average MCAT (61st percentile). Also I'm an MCAT retaker. Good extracurriculars including research, volunteering and work in the ED. Does any of this apply to you @Jeanius11 ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Hey do you when PARP starts this year? I believe I'm also being considered for it.Just got an emailing stating that I was accepted through the PARP program!!!! I literally burst into tears of joy from seeing this!!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
May 16 is when the program starts. Six weeks. Pretty early. It's 2 days after my graduation. LolHey do you when PARP starts this year? I believe I'm also being considered for it.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Any May interview invites lately? Trying to see if april 27th is officially the last day of interviews....
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Last edited:
Hey guys,
I have an interview next week and I was wondering if there is a place to put something small like a backpack, I know they had it at another school I interviewed at. Ill be flying in at midnight that morning so I don't want to pay a hotel fee just to leave a backpack in there. :/
Congrats! When did you receive your interview invite?
also, could you provide your stats if you don't mind?
Thanks!
Hi everyone, M1 at Howard . Just dropping by to say Congrats to those coming to the HUCM family in a few weeks, and send positive vibes to those still waiting for their letter. I am a non trad student, average stats, sent amcas in mid september, secondaries in mid october, interviewed in late march, and accepted about 1 month later. but we accepted students as late as 1-2 weeks before orientation started. so the game is still on.
This being said, to those already accepted, you have about 2.5months before school starts. ENJOY, ENJOY and ENJOY your summer. I can't emphasize this enough, and told the same to a lot of you during your interview day. Once school starts there is no turning back!
To those waiting/on waitlist, I's suggest sending an update (if you have any update) or interest letter. let it be concise but remind the admission committee again "why HUCM"
Those who did not get in this year, do not give up. Contact admin to ask what went wrong with your application/interview if you went that far, and reapply again.
Don't hesitate to PM me if anything...!
This being said, to those already accepted, you have about 2.5months before school starts. ENJOY, ENJOY and ENJOY your summer. I can't emphasize this enough, and told the same to a lot of you during your interview day. Once school starts there is no turning back!
To those waiting/on waitlist, I's suggest sending an update (if you have any update) or interest letter. let it be concise but remind the admission committee again "why HUCM"
Those who did not get in this year, do not give up. Contact admin to ask what went wrong with your application/interview if you went that far, and reapply again.
Don't hesitate to PM me if anything...!
OMG I got in !!!! My chessssssst !!! I canmt believe this is happening. This medical school admission has been a crazy ride but I made it ! [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]. Thank God !! [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]. I didn't receive the official letter but the financial aid office just sent me a mail about financial aid stuff and the beginning of the letter states "congratulations on getting into Howard university". OMG I feel like I'm in a dreamm !!! My chesssssssst !!! [emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! When did you receive your interview invite?
also, could you provide your stats if you don't mind?
Thanks!
I got an interview invitation on 4/11.
3.5 cGPA, 3.0 GPA, 1000 volunteer hours, ~1000 research hours and a 504 mcat ()
Did you just get it today ?? I hope they're not pranking me or something cuz I already told my mom and she almost cried lol.Yes, I got the same financial aid letter. Glad someone else got it too (without receiving the official letter too!) I was worried it wasn't for real! Just to confuse everyone here even more about the whole process - I interviewed April 6.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes, about 2 hours ago!Did you just get it today ?? I hope they're not pranking me or something cuz I already told my mom and she almost cried lol.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh, and I also received the same "out of committee" email on 4/14. Was a total shock because my interviewer told me I probably wouldn't hear anything until end of April.Yes, about 2 hours ago!
Were u in my interview group on 03/23 ??Oh, and I also received the same "out of committee" email on 4/14. Was a total shock because my interviewer told me I probably wouldn't hear anything until end of April.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Getting into Howard University and realizing your summer vacation just got shorter lol. School starts 07/14 [emoji24].
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I also received an acceptance this morning (through that financial aid email). Con
I also received an acceptance this morning (through that financial aid email). Congrats to all the acceptances. See you all soon! We better enjoy the small break we have until school starts lol
Yes, I got the same financial aid letter. Glad someone else got it too (without receiving the official letter too!) I was worried it wasn't for real! Just to confuse everyone here even more about the whole process - I interviewed April 6.
I also received an acceptance this morning (through that financial aid email). Congrats to all the acceptances. See you all soon! We better enjoy the small break we have until school starts lol
Wow, you know. I was sitting at my labtop for about 30 minutes wondering how will I get into my account if they never sent me my HU ID. I will definitely call tomorrow morning about that.
N
Nblufire12
congrats on everyone who got accepted! I interviewed 3/23 and I'm guessing my app hasn't been reviewed yet since I just got this email today
did anyone else receive this email?
Dear Interviewed Applicant:
I know that there has been a delay in the review of your application by the committe. I wanted to let you know where we are in the committee review process.
Because of the internet problems at the University from mid-August until almost mid-October, the Admissions office was not able to review completely applications in a consistent manner until November. This delay put us about two months behind in our review of 5500 applicants and interviewing about 290.
In order to catch up, we scheduled a large number of interviews in March (after the chance of closures due to weather ended). You were one of the more than 80 students interviewed in March to meet our April 30 goal of 290 interviews. The Admissions committee (made of primary of basic-science faculty and practicing physicians) meets once a week and generally, we can only review about 10 - 12 students in a two-hour meeting. However in April, we have been meeting for 3 hours once a week in order to catch up.
I know this is a very anxious time for you. I assure you, however, that we are working hard to complete the process and to have a full class starting July 15, 2016.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected].
You might let your parents know of your status, as I know all parents worry. (smile)
All the best,
jw
did anyone else receive this email?
Dear Interviewed Applicant:
I know that there has been a delay in the review of your application by the committe. I wanted to let you know where we are in the committee review process.
Because of the internet problems at the University from mid-August until almost mid-October, the Admissions office was not able to review completely applications in a consistent manner until November. This delay put us about two months behind in our review of 5500 applicants and interviewing about 290.
In order to catch up, we scheduled a large number of interviews in March (after the chance of closures due to weather ended). You were one of the more than 80 students interviewed in March to meet our April 30 goal of 290 interviews. The Admissions committee (made of primary of basic-science faculty and practicing physicians) meets once a week and generally, we can only review about 10 - 12 students in a two-hour meeting. However in April, we have been meeting for 3 hours once a week in order to catch up.
I know this is a very anxious time for you. I assure you, however, that we are working hard to complete the process and to have a full class starting July 15, 2016.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected].
You might let your parents know of your status, as I know all parents worry. (smile)
All the best,
jw
Wow, you know. I was sitting at my labtop for about 30 minutes wondering how will I get into my account if they never sent me my HU ID. I will definitely call tomorrow morning about that.
Yeah , I just re read the acceptance email and it said it will come with the hard copy of the letter
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For the people who got the financial aid email acting as acceptance letter does anyone of you guys know ehat they mean by "financial aid award". I didn't apply for any scholarship or anything like that so I don't know what they mean.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For the people who got the financial aid email acting as acceptance letter does anyone of you guys know ehat they mean by "financial aid award". I didn't apply for any scholarship or anything like that so I don't know what they mean.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I think it's pretty standard to say financial aid award as a blanket term to reference your financial aid package- which will include loans, scholarships, etc. .
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it's pretty standard to say financial aid award as a blanket term to reference your financial aid package- which will include loans, scholarships, etc. .
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh ok. Thanks for the clarification. Good enough I got in lol. I dont expect anything else lol
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
hey @Nblufire12, I got the same email. Interviewed 3/29. Heres to praying its a good sign!
CONGRATS to everyone accepted!
CONGRATS to everyone accepted!
N
Nblufire12
hey @Nblufire12, I got the same email. Interviewed 3/29. Heres to praying its a good sign!
CONGRATS to everyone accepted!
awesome thanks! hope for the best as well, cheers!
awesome thanks! hope for the best as well, cheers!
I think it's pretty standard to say financial aid award as a blanket term to reference your financial aid package- which will include loans, scholarships, etc. .
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
For those that have been accepted via the financial aid letter, do you know if we are to provide a deposit to hold our seat? Since we haven't received any other correspondences, I'm not sure if it's required and when.
For those that have been accepted via the financial aid letter, do you know if we are to provide a deposit to hold our seat? Since we haven't received any other correspondences, I'm not sure if it's required and when.
You guys should call/email the office to confirm...
It probably is but I think we need to wait for the official letter which should have more infos as to what to do. Cuz At this point we don't even have our student id number.For those that have been accepted via the financial aid letter, do you know if we are to provide a deposit to hold our seat? Since we haven't received any other correspondences, I'm not sure if it's required and when.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
congrats on everyone who got accepted! I interviewed 3/23 and I'm guessing my app hasn't been reviewed yet since I just got this email today
did anyone else receive this email?
Dear Interviewed Applicant:
I know that there has been a delay in the review of your application by the committe. I wanted to let you know where we are in the committee review process.
Because of the internet problems at the University from mid-August until almost mid-October, the Admissions office was not able to review completely applications in a consistent manner until November. This delay put us about two months behind in our review of 5500 applicants and interviewing about 290.
In order to catch up, we scheduled a large number of interviews in March (after the chance of closures due to weather ended). You were one of the more than 80 students interviewed in March to meet our April 30 goal of 290 interviews. The Admissions committee (made of primary of basic-science faculty and practicing physicians) meets once a week and generally, we can only review about 10 - 12 students in a two-hour meeting. However in April, we have been meeting for 3 hours once a week in order to catch up.
I know this is a very anxious time for you. I assure you, however, that we are working hard to complete the process and to have a full class starting July 15, 2016.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at [email protected].
You might let your parents know of your status, as I know all parents worry. (smile)
All the best,
jw
thats interesting...so the last interview day is tomorrow April 27th...good to know.
Official acceptance letter received along with conditions of acceptance. It ain't a joke no more or a financial aid related matter ! Yaaaaaaaasss !!! Official member of HUCM class of 2020 !! Let's make this happen !!! Excited to meet the rest of you guys in July.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Official acceptance letter received along with conditions of acceptance. It ain't a joke no more or a financial aid related matter ! Yaaaaaaaasss !!! Official member of HUCM class of 2020 !! Let's make this happen !!! Excited to meet the rest of you guys in July.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Congrats!!
How do you guys send the letter to confirm the seat ? Does it have to be through regular mail or email ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
How do you guys send the letter to confirm the seat ? Does it have to be through regular mail or email ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Signed handwritten
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Mail it to which address ? I hope there are more informations in the official letter.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
Mail it to the admissions office...but there is an official response letter u can send back in in the acceptance package
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Mail it to the admissions office...but there is an official response letter u can send back in in the acceptance package
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mail it to the admissions office...but there is an official response letter u can send back in in the acceptance package
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
Ok cool. I'll wait for the acceptance package then. Do you know how long the acceptance package takes to arrive ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ok cool. I'll wait for the acceptance package then. Do you know how long the acceptance package takes to arrive ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
it took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive...I'm impatient so I just wrote one up and sent it myself
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
it took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive...I'm impatient so I just wrote one up and sent it myself
Ok cool. I'll wait for the acceptance package then. Do you know how long the acceptance package takes to arrive ?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
it took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive...I'm impatient so I just wrote one up and sent it myself[/QUOTE]
Oh wow ok. So what about the health forms. Do we have to have all the ones on the website filled up ? Or does the admission packet have the specific health forms we need?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
it took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive...I'm impatient so I just wrote one up and sent it myself
Oh wow ok. So what about the health forms. Do we have to have all the ones on the website filled up ? Or does the admission packet have the specific health forms we need?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOTE]
yeah I just downloaded them and got it done...its the same ones u will receive in the package
.
Last edited:
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K