2015-2016 Rutgers University - RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

This school favors in state right? I am an FL resident, born in Trenton, NJ, and have a lot of family in NJ, visit there every year. Both my cousins went to Rutgers for undergrad. Would I have a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
This school favors in state right? I am an FL resident, born in Trenton, NJ, and have a lot of family in NJ, visit there every year. Both my cousins went to Rutgers for undergrad. Would I have a chance?

Have you lived in NJ for any period of time?

No, I haven't, just the first 2 years of my life.

You could try but it helps to have actually lived there. They generally interview OOS who have high stats and a genuine reason to attend.

Is CASPer mandatory?
"There are two options for completing the second part of the secondary application. Option 1 is to take the CASPer™ Test. If you decide to not complete CASPer, you may complete Option 2. Option 2 is the completion of the essays that will soon be sent. You must complete one of the Part 2 options (you can complete both if you so desire)."
So, no, CASPer is not necessary. You could write essay(s) instead.

Has anyone received the secondary prompts that could post? Would mean a lot! :)

Last edited:
No secondary yet... Hopefully we'll get it soon because I've already signed up for the CASPer exam this Wednesday.

Does anyone know if CASPer scores can be added even if you haven't received the secondary application yet? I signed up in anticipation for the secondary since NYMC requires it as well so I figured I'd hit two birds with one stone...

I believe so or at least it would make sense. When I signed up for this Wednesday it allowed me to choose both schools. You also have the option of attaching your AMCAS ID number to your account. I was definitely thinking the same thing! haha

Received secondary. Tried to make payment, drop down box is not functioning. Also they list two different emails to send the secondary part 1 to. I will call the office shortly and report back with my findings.

EDIT: The admissions department is very friendly. Today was the first day secondaries were released so they are still having some issues. She told me to try back later today. She also said it did not matter which email you submitted the part one secondary to. I put part one secondary in the subject box and sent it.

Last edited:
Received secondary. Tried to make payment, drop down box is not functioning. Also they list two different emails to send the secondary part 1 to. I will call the office shortly and report back with my findings.

EDIT: The admissions department is very friendly. Today was the first day secondaries were released so they are still having some issues. She told me to try back later today. She also said it did not matter which email you submitted the part one secondary to. I put part one secondary in the subject box and sent it.

were they same as last years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how long Casper takes to complete?

yep, they sent out an email a couple minutes ago. they're trying to fix it. everyone's having problems.

Oh ok good thank you! Would you mind posting when the issue is resolved? Didn't get the email for some reason...

Did anyone get a confirmation email about their part one document

is there any character limits on these prompts? should we stay in the box?

Since RWJ does not have rolling admissions, does it hurt me at all if the Casper issues last night will delay my secondary? Obviously I could hear later, but does punctuality affect admissions decisions in lieu of a rolling admissions system?

I'm not sure how I performed on the CASPer last night because of all the technical glitches, they say you can submit the essay version too if we so choose, but do you guys think that would look too pushy?

I'm not sure how I performed on the CASPer last night because of all the technical glitches, they say you can submit the essay version too if we so choose, but do you guys think that would look too pushy?
Do we get any email confirmation of our submission of part 1 or the CASPer upon receipt

I didn't get a confirmation for my submission of Part I and the only confirmation I got from CASPer was an email from them apologizing again about the technical issues and offering to replace our results with a makeup exam. Which makes me think they got it? I can't be sure though

May someone post the prompts too? Interesting read about CASPer.

Does anyone know how long it will be for CASPer results to be received by the school?

Prompts for Part I Secondary:
1. If applicable please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your app for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total GPA.
2. If you have ever taken time off during your undergrad training or if you have already graduated, provide info to explain this time by providing a line-by-line description of activities or explanation delineated by month/year to month/year
3. If you applied as a non-resident (legal residency other than NJ), please let us know if you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc.
4. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. if you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.
5. Were you, or are you, employed during the school year? If so please tell us type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.
6. Is there anything you would like to share to clarify your application?
Part II:
Take CASPer and/or:
1. In the next series of prompts, you will reflect upon experiences, activities or accomplishments that demonstrate each of the indicated pre-professional competencies. Your response should be limited to one paragraph and should include: the situation where you demonstrated the competency, your actions and the resulting consequence, and what you learned as a result.
a. integrity and ethics
b. reliability and dependability
c. desire to learn
d. commitment to serving others/volunteering
e. social interpersonal and teamwork skills
f. cultural competence
g. resilience and adaptability

for the first part you're limited to a text box, probably ~1000 characters or 1 paragraph each (but you can make the boxes bigger if you need to).
Hope this helps! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
For question 5 on part 1 of the secondary, "Were you, or are you, employed during the school year...?"

Are they trying to see if you held a job while in school? I ask because I graduated May 2014 and held a job during the 2014-15 school year.

For question 5 on part 1 of the secondary, "Were you, or are you, employed during the school year...?"

Are they trying to see if you held a job while in school? I ask because I graduated May 2014 and held a job during the 2014-15 school year.

yes they mean while you were in school, before May 2014, while you were taking a full load of classes

Reactions: 1 user
If we pay the fee online, do we still need to submit the Application Fee Form (in the pdf that they sent us) with the certification saying that "all documents etc. etc. are true, accurate, etc. etc."?

just making sure - the question about the competencies - is that optional if you've already taken the Casper???

just making sure - the question about the competencies - is that optional if you've already taken the Casper???

Yes, I think you can do both Casper and the competencies if you want, but only one of them is required

How do I pay the fee if Im a FAP recipient? Do they waive?

is it the general understanding that they'd prefer receiving one or the other for part 2, not both casper + essay responses?

are most people here taking the CASPer test? or writing the part 2 supplemental essays?

I think many are opting for CASPer as that's what the letter advised I think

On a non-CASPer note, have people been receiving emails from rwjms saying they received your secondary part 1 and will begin the eval process while they wait on CASPer?

On a non-CASPer note, have people been receiving emails from rwjms saying they received your secondary part 1 and will begin the eval process while they wait on CASPer?
yea! I got an email like that today

Is anyone else having issues sending the first part of the secondary application to this email address: [email protected]? I get an error message in return stating that delivery to the recipient has failed permanently.

were we supposed to indicate which part 2 we were doing. I decided to do both, wondering if I should email about it. Also how long after submitting were people complete?

Last edited:
has anyone gotten a complete email yet? it's been a while since I've submitted everything and I'm wondering if I should contact them..