2015-2016 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the informative post. Can you elaborate on the times you questioned your decision?

The match rate you quote does not include SOAP, is that correct?

Hello friends,

First year at Sackler. First and foremost, to alleviate all of your worries, indeed the match list that is posted on the Sackler site is our official placement. Our match rate ranges from 80-90% at any given year and graduation rates fluctuate on the basis of how many individuals want to seek a more competitive residency. If you don't believe what is posted on the website, please feel free to contact our students and ask them yourself - or just search out the program that is mentioned and look for the photo of the resident with the "Sackler School of Medicine" label below their name.

Secondly, I'd like to address the obvious troll on this forum — the man posing as an "unverified" attending physician with a very private account who apparently has all the time in the world to trigger pre-med students online while his imaginary residents are off killing patients.

That being said, I turned down a DO school to fly to Israel and I was waitlisted at an MD school at the time (funny thing is, I was also waitlisted at Sackler). My colleagues, several of which have turned down MD schools (off of the top of my head University of South Florida and New York Medical College), mainly chose Sackler for 2 reasons: 1) their Jewish heritage 2) Tel Aviv University is among the highest ranking universities in the world and holds a lot of weight in terms of research. We are housed in the epicenter of Israeli innovation and our professors are not employed by some non-profit in New York, but rather a major, global research university.

Undoubtedly, there were times where I questioned my decision — but judging by the quality of professorial talent that we have on board, and the level of integration that the school has with the rest of the scientific community (and we can't live out the fact that we are literally in the biotech start up capital of the world), I can say that I would have made that same decision again. I am currently finishing up my first year, I do research (I am funded through the school for $6,000), and the healthcare system in this country (at least at a primary care level) surpasses that of the United States.

This being said, the connections that Sackler has built over its over 40 year existence are the bedrock of the university's success. In the state of New York, and much of New England, it is widely recognized — you may have some issues with regards to other major programs in the midwest or the west coast, but your success is ultimately based on what you put into your education.

As for the DO/IMG comparison, maybe that applies to Caribbean schools, but our host institution (Tel Aviv University) regularly and consistently beats out major hubs of research in the United States, and this counts for something.

But look — I'm just a first year. I've come here, I've seen it for myself and my opinion is very obviously biased. My advice is that you stop listening to anonymous blowhards on the internet — because if that's all we ever did, we'd all be eating Acai berries and not vaccinating our children.

-K-

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy better health insurance than the school offers in Israel?

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy better health insurance than the school offers in Israel?

Was wondering this too, but did you get anything from the school yet? Still wondering by when they plan on sending those welcome packages via email so we can get more information on everything really.

Was wondering this too, but did you get anything from the school yet? Still wondering by when they plan on sending those welcome packages via email so we can get more information on everything really.

All I got was info for the group flight so far, I think more info is typically sent out in June. But they do give a brief overview of the health insurance http://sacklermedicine.us/information/medicallegal-services/ It says pre-existing conditions are not covered. I was wondering if there is any plan I could buy that would cover pre-existing conditions or at least would cover them after a waiting period.

Withdrew my acceptance this morning. Good luck to the rest of you.

Question for current students: how hard is it for non science majors without research experience to get research at sackler?

Any updates or movement?
I was actually wondering the same thing. I believe they just had an admissions committee meeting on Thursday. I am hoping for some good news this coming week.

Reactions: 1 user
I was actually wondering the same thing. I believe they just had an admissions committee meeting on Thursday. I am hoping for some good news this coming week.

Same! I hope all of us get good news!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my acceptance this morning via FedEx priority overnight and am going :) Best of luck to all!

has anyone from the waitlist heard anything yet? Also anyone know when the next committee meeting will be?
Same boat... hoping there will be some movement on the wait list. Will we only hear back after the next admissions com meets?

Hey, the welcome package mentioned a background check having to be done. Anybody know how to go about getting that done? I didn't see any information or forms about it other that it must be done prior to arrival in Israel?

Hey, the welcome package mentioned a background check having to be done. Anybody know how to go about getting that done? I didn't see any information or forms about it other that it must be done prior to arrival in Israel?

I saw that, too. They haven't gotten our SSNs, so they can't go ahead and do them without more input from us. I'd ask the people in the fb group.

Does anyone know anyone that's been accepted off the waitlist?

Hey if anyone is around.. there isn't a 2016-2017 thread and since you all have gone through the process applying here I figured I should ask here. Does Sackler have a minimum MCAT requirement? Does anyone know if they accept students with low MCAT scores but have excellent ECs? This is my top choice and I got my score back today and I'm extremely disappointed. Thanks for the help in advance! Best of luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey if anyone is around.. there isn't a 2016-2017 thread and since you all have gone through the process applying here I figured I should ask here. Does Sackler have a minimum MCAT requirement? Does anyone know if they accept students with low MCAT scores but have excellent ECs? This is my top choice and I got my score back today and I'm extremely disappointed. Thanks for the help in advance! Best of luck :)

I know for sure they don't have a stated minimum MCAT and gpa cutoff, but many of the students currently attending argue that you need like a 507+ (29 old scale). But don't let it discourage you and apply. They look at all applications holistically and will evaluate you.

I know for sure they don't have a stated minimum MCAT and gpa cutoff, but many of the students currently attending argue that you need like a 507+ (29 old scale). But don't let it discourage you and apply. They look at all applications holistically and will evaluate you.

Thank you for getting back to me! I was told by admissions that the new average is 30 now. I'm not near a 30 but I was thinking of applying with my low score and then telling them I'll be retaking in January. I did hear they look for other things aside from the MCAT score! Thanks for responding!

Last edited:
do you think a 28 old scale would be too low to be competitive here?

I'm not the right person to ask. Hopefully a current student could chime in for you. My opinion though is apply, you might as well give it a shot if you're interested.

You'd be a fool to think it's better to go to Sackler than any DO school.

Sackler is definitely more competitive than DO's in the areas the school is known, namely NYC, parts of California, and pockets of the NE. Compare our matchlist to any DO school, esp within those regions.

As a former Sackler who went to a strong residency, and now in a competitive fellowship I find that your statement is true in the general sense i.e. DOs have better match rates compared to US IMGs according to the charting outcomes data, however if you look at Sackler as compared to IMG/DO programs, I think your statement doesn't line up. In areas where Sackler is not known, it is treated much more like a Caribbean school. However in the NY area it enjoys a very strong reputation and we are considered on par with US grads. You have to have a strong idea of where you want to end up if you choose Sackler - that being said many people match outside those areas too.

In my graduating class of roughly 45-50 students, 1 derm, we had radiation onc, ortho, several gen. surg, rads, anesthesia no one applied to plastics or ENT so we didn't have those. In the year after we had a plastic surgery resident and a similar list of matches. I could list other examples, however if you look at the Sackler match list, it is consistently on par with American schools and the ratio of competitive residency to students is pretty high especially in the regions I mentioned.

Clearly a US school will give you more of a competitive edge. However if you want a better life in med school, an extremely solid education with a strong clinical skill set, Sackler is the spot. There are several reasons to go to Sackler, especially if you have ties to Israel, want to end up in NYC or Cali, be educated in a place where disease process are unique, be exposed to cutting edge medical research the list keeps going. So many opportunities and priceless life experience. The alumni network is very strong too, may be another reason I got the fellowship/residency I did.

Wouldn't change it for the world.

You'd be a fool to think it's better to go to Sackler than any DO school.