2022-2023 New York Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @Meisbad for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 New York Medical College Secondary Essay Prompts:

1. If you do not have any family members with a connection to NYMC for any of the below categories you can skip this section.

• In this activity please indicate if you have/had a family member (Grandparent, Parent or Sibling) that attended the NYMC School of Medicine. Applicable to alumni from School of Medicine only. Does not apply to alumni from NYMC-sponsored residency programs, NYMC Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences (GSBMS) or NYMC School of Health Sciences & Practice (SHSP)
  • In this activity please indicate if you have a family member (Grandparent, Parent or Sibling) Applicable to full-time faculty at School of Medicine only
  • In this activity please indicate if you have a family member (Grandparent, Parent or Sibling) Applicable to full-time employees at School of Medline only.
2. Please review the NYMC Social Media Policy. If you select YES, we ask that you please briefly explain what has been posted.
In keeping with New York Medical College’s (NYMC) and Touro College and University System’s policies on prospective student online conduct, College staff members do not “police” online social networks and the College is firmly committed to the principle of free speech. However, when the College receives a report of inappropriate online conduct, we are obligated to investigate; New York Medical College reserves the right to rescind admissions for misconduct or lack of professionalism wherever it occurs, including online.

Is there anything in your social media presence (past, or present) that would bring discredit or dishonor on you, the institution, the program or profession (if applicable) or that could be considered derogatory, hateful, or threatening? (Yes/ No)

3. Please share any disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19

that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (300 character limit)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
New York Medical College Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. If you do not have any family members with a connection to NYMC for any of the below categories you can skip this section.
  • In this activity please indicate if you have/had a family member (Grandparent, Parent or Sibling) that attended the NYMC School of Medicine. Applicable to alumni from School of Medicine only. Does not apply to alumni from NYMC-sponsored residency programs, NYMC Graduate School of Basic Medical Sciences (GSBMS) or NYMC School of Health Sciences & Practice (SHSP)
  • In this activity please indicate if you have a family member (Grandparent, Parent or Sibling) Applicable to full-time faculty at School of Medicine only
  • In this activity please indicate if you have a family member (Grandparent, Parent or Sibling) Applicable to full-time employees at School of Medline only.
2. Please review the NYMC Social Media Policy. If you select YES, we ask that you please briefly explain what has been posted.
In keeping with New York Medical College’s (NYMC) and Touro College and University System’s policies on prospective student online conduct, College staff members do not “police” online social networks and the College is firmly committed to the principle of free speech. However, when the College receives a report of inappropriate online conduct, we are obligated to investigate; New York Medical College reserves the right to rescind admissions for misconduct or lack of professionalism wherever it occurs, including online.

Is there anything in your social media presence (past, or present) that would bring discredit or dishonor on you, the institution, the program or profession (if applicable) or that could be considered derogatory, hateful, or threatening?

3. Please share any disruptions in your academic, volunteer, work, and/or personal life related to COVID-19
that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider (300 characters)

@wysdoc

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Is there anything in your social media presence (past, or present) that would bring discredit or dishonor on you, the institution, the program or profession (if applicable) or that could be considered derogatory, hateful, or threatening?

that you would like the Admissions Committee to consider

@wysdoc
Thanks @Meisbad, any character count information for question #3?
(In past years it has been 300 characters)

Thanks @Meisbad, any character count information for question #3?
(In past years it has been 300 characters)
I can confirm it's 300 characters!

Also, this secondary has a whopping price tag of $130... (roughly 2.3 characters per dollar).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How are people answering #3? It feels too short but also not optional.

i submitted but i didnt get any confirmation email or receipt for the payment. is this normal?

300 characters for a secondary that cost 130, sheesh

How are we supposed to approach the COVD-19 impact question with 300 characters?

Last edited:
How are we supposed to approach the COVD-19 impact question with 300 characters?
I wrote 2 sentences that simply state the facts that my planned XYZ experience was canceled/disrupted due to COVID.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an email from their admissions office saying that they can't accept my app until I provide a letter from a professor in my department.

My major is Biochemistry, but at my undergrad institution the Biochemistry degrees are granted under Department of Chemistry. Do any of you know if a letter from a Chemistry professor fulfills my letter requirement?

Im just frustrated because I literally took 2 quarters of true Biochem classes, while I had to take 9 courses under the title of Chemistry to fulfill my major requirements. It just doesn't make sense for undergrads in my school to have a strong bond with any of the biochemistry professors...
ugh thats so frustrating! did you already pay the submission fee?

I got an email from their admissions office saying that they can't accept my app until I provide a letter from a professor in my department.

My major is Biochemistry, but at my undergrad institution the Biochemistry degrees are granted under Department of Chemistry. Do any of you know if a letter from a Chemistry professor fulfills my letter requirement?

Im just frustrated because I literally took 2 quarters of true Biochem classes, while I had to take 9 courses under the title of Chemistry to fulfill my major requirements. It just doesn't make sense for undergrads in my school to have a strong bond with any of the biochemistry professors...
I would email them, explain the situation, and ask. I emailed them earlier today with a question and they replied within 5 minutes.

Is anyone else having issues accessing the secondary? I tried the reset password option and I never got an email. Reached out and the school says I need to contact AMCAS? I thought this was like a direct application through the school??

submitted secondary on 6/29, received the complete email on 7/3

Is there an additional prompt for reapplicants?

Is there an additional prompt for reapplicants?
I'm a reapplicant but not to NYMC, and for me there was no extra prompt. Can't speak for anyone who previously applied here specifically though

I'm a reapplicant but not to NYMC, and for me there was no extra prompt. Can't speak for anyone who previously applied here specifically though
I like your username and thanks for checking and to @FarmHand as well!

Is it overdoing it if you try to spin the COVID-19 prompt to something positive, like in the end you say despite ...., I learned.... or some lesson like that? Or such I just stick to simply stating the disruptions?

Is it overdoing it if you try to spin the COVID-19 prompt to something positive, like in the end you say despite ...., I learned.... or some lesson like that? Or such I just stick to simply stating the disruptions?
I did both I don't think its overdoing it unless you are too obnoxious about it haha its definitely worth having another set of eyes to look at it since so many schools have a covid question

I submitted 6/26 and am still waiting on a complete email. Anyone else in this boat?

Normally I would, however with this small I would focus on the issues.

I’m still waiting for my letters to be uploaded, but I received an email from NYMC asking me for an estimate of when they will be uploaded so that they can move me to the next step. Anyone else get this email?

Hmm. Submitted 7/11 and received a "your application to New York Medical College is complete" email on 7/14. You guys checked all your folders, right?
This is so random dude but is ur name a reference to a book?

+1 for the still waiting to be complete train... submitted 7/11

Well I am an absolute idiot. I autopiloted to the bottom choice for the social media policy thinking it was a "No," but upon reviewing my submitted app I just realized they put "Yes" on the bottom and "No" on top. So I just submitted my secondary saying I have derogatory things on my social media without an explanation.

I just emailed them about it... do you guys think my app is DOA?

Update: wow, that was quick. NYMC emailed back saying they will update my file, so I'm guessing I'm OK.

PSA: MAKE SURE YOU READ THE OPTIONS! NO IS NOT ON THE BOTTOM!

Last edited:
Is anyone else not able to log into the secondary page?

I submitted my secondary on June 30 and I was marked complete on July 18.

submitted june 26th, had to clear up a LOR thing, marked complete july 3rd

i emailed them about the delay and they said that cant mark me complete bc one of my letters isn't on letterhead. so they're asking for my letter writer to resubmit it. i would email them to ask them what's the hold up, it could be something with your app :/
Oh shoot no way!! I'll send them an email then, thank you :)

OOS Secondary received and submitted 7/20

I submitted 6/26 and had not been marked complete yet so I emailed them, they said one of my letters was marked as math so it was not counting as a second science letter. I am confused because I submitted a letter packet, which per their PDF pg 3 says fulfills all requirements--i read it as 2 science letters are only needed if school does not have a premed committee. awaiting their response.

has anyone else had this issue?