2015-2016 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im on the same boat as you guys. Had my interview in late February, anxiously waiting to hear back. Will post if I get anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So be on the lookout guys, because I just got my acceptance letter via overnight FedEx. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So any idea what's going on with the Facebook group?
Other than the letter asking for the 100 dollar deposit and an email they didn't really go into detail regarding the next steps.

Congrats to those accepted! I interviewed early February and haven't heard anything. Was wondering if I haven't gotten a fed Ex overnight I'm either rejected or wait listed? Does anyone know if they send out rejections/wait list the same way through fed ex, or in email?

Congrats to those accepted! I interviewed early February and haven't heard anything. Was wondering if I haven't gotten a fed Ex overnight I'm either rejected or wait listed? Does anyone know if they send out rejections/wait list the same way through fed ex, or in email?

I just received an e-mail notifying me of my waitlist status.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Canadians receive responses for this round?

Is anyone else deciding between Sackler and MSIH? Sackler seems like the better choice, I was just wondering if anyone else had some thoughts on this.

Is anyone else deciding between Sackler and MSIH? Sackler seems like the better choice, I was just wondering if anyone else had some thoughts on this.
I am going through the same decision... Leaning towards MSIH because I heard that Sackler is having difficulty with 4th year rotation placement and MSIH has a guaranteed placement at Columbia.

I am going through the same decision... Leaning towards MSIH because I heard that Sackler is having difficulty with 4th year rotation placement and MSIH has a guaranteed placement at Columbia.

Where did you hear this from?

I interviewed in April! I'm hoping to hear some good news! Good luck guys!

Last edited:
Well that doesn't sound promising. Did he say anything else about the school?
Overall its a great program and if you want to be a doctor then you will find a way to get your rotations and make it work, it just will be a bit more difficult and take a little more determination.

Well that doesn't sound promising. Did he say anything else about the school?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sackler has consistently placed students into strong residency positions of various specialties with high placement rates.

Last edited:
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Sackler has consistently placed students into strong residency positions of various specialties with high placement rates.
Match rate for Sackler vs. MSIH

Attachments

• Msih.png
    Msih.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Sackler.pdf
    373 KB · Views: 103
How do my fellow New Yorkers feel about sackler vs Nyit vs touro Harlem? Right now I'm leaning hard toward sackler because of the Israeli experience, much lower cost and not having to worry about omm and comlex. Also it looks like sackler grads have a shot at some NYC IM(what I'm interested in) residencies that DOs just don't match to. That being said there is some uncertainty for our class since there most likely will be a combined AOA and acgme match by 2020 and it's hard to say how/if that will effect sackler grads.

Biased input from current Sackler MS2 here so feel free to disregard, but word on the street is that the official Columbia relationship was ended last year (apparently "Columbia" is no longer printed on diplomas). As you stated, I think students are still getting some help with rotations if they need it. A guaranteed rotation at Columbia is certainly nice, but I saw that neither Sackler nor MSIH has sent a graduate there for residency in over a decade which means time may be better spent trying to get rotations at institutions more likely to interview and match them. I believe whether you choose Sackler or MSIH, you will become a doctor, but I just thought I'd chime in on that subject as I don't think it should be the deciding factor.

I know this has been brought up on various threads in the past, but Im split between Technion and Sackler. I know Sackler is the safer bet in regards to consistent residency matching. But I am really interested in going down the research track and feel Technion will give me the most opportunity in that regard. Reading other posts, everyone seems to be making it seem as though choosing Technion over Sackler would be a major mistake, but I just dont think thats the case. Can anyone offer any input here?

Accepted students, anyone get an info package or something from the office (re: details) after accepting the offer/paying the deposit? Still early, I know, but just wondering...

Accepted students, anyone get an info package or something from the office (re: details) after accepting the offer/paying the deposit? Still early, I know, but just wondering...
Didnt receive anything yet but recently contacted the school and was told we should be getting more info soon.

Officially withdrew from MSIH and am going to Sackler!

Reactions: 2 users
Officially withdrew from MSIH and am going to Sackler!

awesome, Im leaning heavily toward Sackler as well. Out of pure curiosity does anyone know if MSIH posted their 2016 match yet? I couldnt find it on their website but both Sackler and Technion posted their's a while ago.

Hi guys. Just submitted my completed application. I know its extremely late but hoping for the best. Can anyone give me an idea of the GPA/MCAT range from this or previous years classes?

I didnt get anything yet...just an email with couple dates:

Dear Class of 2020:

We are in the process of getting all the information updated via our Israel office for the welcome package. As soon as we get information we will forward it to you via email. If you are going to be traveling with limited access to emails, please provide an alternative email address to send correspondence to since some information that we mail to you will be time sensitive.

Important Dates:

Arrive at youth hostel Thursday, 18 August 2016. (information regarding the Youth Hostel & the Group Flight will be forwarded to you as soon as possible)

Orientation runs through Thursday, 1 September 2016. (The duration of orientation is two weeks, an official schedule will be provided once it’s available)

The White Coat Ceremony is Thursday, 1 September 2016.

Thank you

Admissions Department

Sackler School Of Medicine

New York State/American Program

17 E 62nd ST

New York, NY 10065

Phone: (212) 688-8811

Fax: (212) 980-4463

Email: [email protected]

www.sacklerschool.org

I don't understand why anyone would choose to goto an international school, let alone one affiliated with Sackler. Try to goto an actual american school to get into a decent residency in 4 years. The number of medstudents relative to the number of residencies is increasing and in 4 years it will be difficult to match as an IMG. You'd be buried in debt with no job prospects.

How do my fellow New Yorkers feel about sackler vs Nyit vs touro Harlem? Right now I'm leaning hard toward sackler because of the Israeli experience, much lower cost and not having to worry about omm and comlex. Also it looks like sackler grads have a shot at some NYC IM(what I'm interested in) residencies that DOs just don't match to. That being said there is some uncertainty for our class since there most likely will be a combined AOA and acgme match by 2020 and it's hard to say how/if that will effect sackler grads.

You'd be a fool to think it's better to go to Sackler than any DO school.

You'd be a fool to think it's better to go to Sackler than any DO school.

I bet the people that matched ACGME ENT, ACGME Oncology and IM at Mt Sinai and NYU in 2016 are happy they picked Sackler over DO. Compare Sackler's match list to Touro's and NYCOMs ACGME matches. They are similar except Sackler grads are able to place into some programs off limits to DOs. In 2020 they will be able to apply to all the former AOA residencies too. The only reason I am considering DO is for HPSP and the convenience of not having to travel.

I bet the people that matched ACGME ENT, ACGME Oncology and IM at Mt Sinai and NYU in 2016 are happy they picked Sackler over DO. Compare Sackler's match list to Touro's and NYCOMs ACGME matches. They are similar except Sackler grads are able to place into some programs off limits to DOs. In 2020 they will be able to apply to all the former AOA residencies too. The only reason I am considering DO is for HPSP and the convenience of not having to travel.

Match into Oncology? Oncology is a fellowship not a residency so you can't match straight out of medical school. Is Sackler selling you that garbage? I'll bet you the IMGs who didn't match from Sackler are kicking themselves now. Also, I gurrantee you the match list for Touro is better than from Sackler. In 4 years when the number of american medical school graduates have expanded you have a very good chance of not matching at all. I know several who haven't and are now deeply in debt and at least 1 that's working for Starbucks with an MD from Sackler. There are more who have gone unmatched than have landed non-sh.itty residencies. Goto an American school so you'd have a job in the future and be a Physician in America. Period.

Last edited:
Match into Oncology? Oncology is a fellowship not a residency so you can't match straight out of medical school. Is Sackler selling you that garbage? I'll bet you the IMGs who didn't match from Sackler are kicking themselves now. Also, I gurrantee you the match list for Touro is better than from Sackler. In 4 years when the number of american medical school graduates have expanded you have a very good chance of not matching at all. I know several who haven't and are now deeply in debt and at least 1 that's working for Starbucks with an MD from Sackler. There are more who have gone unmatched than have landed non-sh.itty residencies. Goto an American school so you'd have a job in the future and be a Physician in America. Period.

1) Radiation Oncology
2) You can look at the match list yourselves(more importantly prospective students can as you do not have to worry about this) http://sacklermedicine.us/match-day/ vs https://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/the-match/match-results/ Touro hasnt posted their 2016 list yet but if you are truly curious somebody posted an unofficial list in the match list thread in the osteopathic forum.
3) Dont believe me? Look at the responses by respected physicians and advisors in this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sackler-or-reapply.1198475
4) A GME squeeze is unlikely http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1511707?query=TOC&&

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Radiation Oncology
2) You can look at the match list yourselves(more importantly prospective students can as you do not have to worry about this) http://sacklermedicine.us/match-day/ vs https://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/the-match/match-results/ Touro hasnt posted their 2016 list yet but if you are truly curious somebody posted an unofficial list in the match list thread in the osteopathic forum.
3) Dont believe me? Look at the responses by respected physicians and advisors in this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sackler-or-reapply.1198475
4) A GME squeeze is unlikely http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1511707?query=TOC&&

Your sources really should be outside of the schools website. Having been a chief resident involved in the resident admissions I would take a DO student over a Sackler student any day (if they had equivalent stats). I consider one an IMG and the other an AMG.

Your sources really should be outside of the schools website. Having been a chief resident involved in the resident admissions I would take a DO student over a Sackler student any day (if they had equivalent stats). I consider one an IMG and the other an AMG.

You can find the residents on the program websites(not for 2016 yet obviously). I have done this for some of the better matches they have had in past years. Im not going to take the time to link all the programs here though. I have no doubt that you feel that way but you are not the only person involved in residency selection in this country and evidently plenty of others feel differently, especially in the Northeast and on parts of the west coast.

You can find the residents on the program websites(not for 2016 yet obviously). I have done this for some of the better matches they have had in past years. Im not going to take the time to link all the programs here though. I have no doubt that you feel that way but you are not the only person involved in residency selection in this country and evidently plenty of others feel differently, especially in the Northeast and on parts of the west coast.

And you're a bit biased because you plan on going there, whatever your reasons may be. You should find out how many went unmatched, and not just from the school whose business it is to sell you a non-U.S. accredited medical diploma in the U.S. Your sources should be unbiased. The last thing you want to do is waste 4 years of your life, alot of money, and not have a job. It happens more of then than you might think.

And you're a bit biased because you plan on going there, whatever your reasons may be. You should find out how many went unmatched, and not just from the school whose business it is to sell you a non-U.S. accredited medical diploma in the U.S. Your sources should be unbiased. The last thing you want to do is waste 4 years of your life, alot of money, and not have a job. It happens more of then than you might think.

He/she is right. You can't trust what Sackler publishes on its website, its totally biased and not very representative. I have colleagues who graduated from sackler and told me that a handful of their classmates couldn't get any residency placements and spent the next year doing research. I'd pick a DO over an IMG 100%

He/she is right. You can't trust what Sackler publishes on its website, its totally biased and not very representative. I have colleagues who graduated from sackler and told me that a handful of their classmates couldn't get any residency placements and spent the next year doing research. I'd pick a DO over an IMG 100%
Lol aren't you on the sackler wait list? FTR that happens at DO schools as well. A lot of those 99% placements don't include people who fail to match and then the school allows them to delay graduation. Then they match the following year and get included for that year's stats. It's a common way to game the system. I know this from people who graduated this year. At the end of the day the DO acgme match rate is 80%. Sackler is definitely higher than that.

Last edited by a moderator: