-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
Started by Pasmal
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They have not sent out acceptances yet; the admissions rep I talked to said they will do it later this week.
Following the third batch of acceptances, acceptances will be sent out I assume on a one by one basis as people withdraw their applications/acceptances.
There is movement towards the end of April
Following the third batch of acceptances, acceptances will be sent out I assume on a one by one basis as people withdraw their applications/acceptances.
There is movement towards the end of April
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Patiently waiting as well. No news yet for meI hope today is the day! I hate the waiting game.... any news yet?
Congrats! Looks like I'll be waiting for the rolling acceptances from now on though. If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview and get your AWPA? I interviewed in October so I'm just trying to get an idea of the timeline for people who are getting offers now.Accepted!!!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Will students not offered an acceptance of this batch be notified as well? Or will no email indicate that you just have to keep waiting?
No email indicates you are still waitingWill students not offered an acceptance of this batch be notified as well? Or will no email indicate that you just have to keep waiting?
Just talked to Mrs. Hecker, she said there is a LOT of movement on the list especially around April 30th (multiple acceptance deadline). There is still hope, keep your heads up and keep checking your email! Also AWPAs will get getting a letter soon explaining how this all works.
I am not even sure if I have gotten the letter for AWPA yet. I just got the email that I was accepted this morning. My secondary didn't get submitted until like 1-29. I interviewed on 2-25.Congrats! Looks like I'll be waiting for the rolling acceptances from now on though. If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview and get your AWPA? I interviewed in October so I'm just trying to get an idea of the timeline for people who are getting offers now.
Just talked to Mrs. Hecker, she said there is a LOT of movement on the list especially around April 30th (multiple acceptance deadline). There is still hope, keep your heads up and keep checking your email! Also AWPAs will get getting a letter soon explaining how this all works.
A letter detailing how anything post-3rd batch works?
yesA letter detailing how anything post-3rd batch works?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, correct me if I am wrong, but little movement happens between now and the end of April for those not accepted in this last batch as people will submit a deposit to reserve a spot and hold multiple acceptances? I know there is a surge of movement in the list at the end of April near the multiple accept deadline, but I'm asking about the period in between now and then.
Thanks for the help.
Thanks for the help.
You are half correct. Now and then movement will happen as people are getting their minds made up, so some more acceptances will be sent out, but you are correct in that the greatest movement is closest to the deadline.So, correct me if I am wrong, but little movement happens between now and the end of April for those not accepted in this last batch as people will submit a deposit to reserve a spot and hold multiple acceptances? I know there is a surge of movement in the list at the end of April near the multiple accept deadline, but I'm asking about the period in between now and then.
Thanks for the help.
That is correct and similar numbers to my class. It could be more than 72 depending on how many people have declined but it is around that number.At this point 72 acceptances have been sent out? Annually around 145 seats are released to get the final class?
Absolutely do not be let down if you haven't heard yet! Three of my good friends didn't get accepted until middle of June and they are almost done with their second year!
That is correct and similar numbers to my class. It could be more than 72 depending on how many people have declined but it is around that number.
Absolutely do not be let down if you haven't heard yet! Three of my good friends didn't get accepted until middle of June and they are almost done with their second year!
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I really needed it! I'm praying that I get in. I really loved SIU
That is correct and similar numbers to my class. It could be more than 72 depending on how many people have declined but it is around that number.
Absolutely do not be let down if you haven't heard yet! Three of my good friends didn't get accepted until middle of June and they are almost done with their second year!
Do you know a rough estimate of the number of people total are on the AWPA list (excluding those already accepted) still after the third batch of acceptances have been given out? So if there 145 total acceptances given, how many people on the AWPA list do not get accepted normally?
@Pasmal might know that, but beyond him I'm not sure they let us know the exact number of people on the list and that changes each cycle based on applicant numbers and their interview results. When my class was doing orientation (Fall 2014) I believe it was said that they got through about 60-70% of the AWPA list, but again those numbers were just based on the cycle during my matriculation class. I do know that the number of applicants has been steadily increasing over the years, and it's been rare in the past few years to exhaust the whole list, so I would say a safe assumption is between the top 60-70% of the list should get acceptances, according to my class' stats.Do you know a rough estimate of the number of people total are on the AWPA list (excluding those already accepted) still after the third batch of acceptances have been given out? So if there 145 total acceptances given, how many people on the AWPA list do not get accepted normally?
I got the letter. Pretty much says exactly what we already know. Just that there's a lot of movement in late April and all that jazz.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thanks! Idk why I didn't get the letter..well let the countdown to April 30 beginI got the letter. Pretty much says exactly what we already know. Just that there's a lot of movement in late April and all that jazz.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Last edited:
There isn't an official second look day, but you can contact Beth directly if you want an official one, otherwise she could give you information of some current students who would be able to meet with you unofficially and answer your questions, show you around, etc.Does anyone know if there is a second look day? I haven't seen anything about it since being accepted.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Do you know a rough estimate of the number of people total are on the AWPA list (excluding those already accepted) still after the third batch of acceptances have been given out? So if there 145 total acceptances given, how many people on the AWPA list do not get accepted normally?
From my conversations with Beth both as I was applying and since then, it seems 80% used to be the number fairly consistently, meaning approx 180 people on AWPA total. I'm a little more removed from the process than @ncklkrt, but I thought in the last few years it was in the high 70's.
Thanks! Idk why I didn't get the letter..well let the countdown to April 30 begin
Everyone reading this should make sure the information you have on file with Beth (snail mail and e-mail addresses) is accurate if you haven't already.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@Pasmal and/or @ncklkrt, when would you recommend people start apartment hunting in Carbondale?! Does the school provide any information on apartments for future students?
There's a handout given to you at pre-orientation that's written by the now-M1s that includes info on housing. You should be fine waiting until then.
Wonderful, thank you!There's a handout given to you at pre-orientation that's written by the now-M1s that includes info on housing. You should be fine waiting until then.
ACCEPTED!
Congratulations! How did you find out?
I actually found out via snail mail. I was told I should've been alerted by email, though. I was just excited for this opportunity!Congratulations! How did you find out?
Accepted today via snail mail! Interviewed 10/2, AWPA 11/3 or so
DO NOT get discouraged if you haven't heard yet, there is still plenty of movement to happen. Excited to meet you all in July/August
DO NOT get discouraged if you haven't heard yet, there is still plenty of movement to happen. Excited to meet you all in July/August
I called Beth Wednesday at which point she said she hadn't seen much movement. Since the 30th lies over the weekend the deadline is actually the 2nd. She said she'd be out of the office today so not much would actually go out--so expect the most movement the beginning(Mon-Tues) of next week. Best of luck!So does anyone know if there is still movement happening?
Good luck to all of you withAWPA who are waiting!! There should be decent movement in the next week, so be patient. Don't panic yet, there is still hope! I was in your shoes last spring, so I understand the agony of waiting. On a less related note, if anyone has housing or Carbondale questions I'll be happy to answer them based on my limited 10 month experience. Stay positive!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Any acceptances today?
How about today... ?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!Accepted!!!! i cant believe it! I interviewed in September. I have been AWPA since November. Do not give up guys!
Thanks!!!Congrats!
Accepted!!!! i cant believe it! I interviewed in September. I have been AWPA since November. Do not give up guys!
How did they inform you of your acceptance?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
via email!How did they inform you of your acceptance?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Movement is expected to continue until around June 1 as each newly accepted student is given a week to decide, and some are still holding new post-deadline acceptances from multiple schools. Good luck to those still waiting, not over yet!
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile