2015-2016 Southern Illinois University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pasmal

PGY3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Prompts
SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of Central and Southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and ervice to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission?

To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultiating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment.

If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application.

SIU Website Links
Admissions timeline
Admissions requirements
Admissions decisions explanation
Interview Day
Match results
FAQ

SDN Links
2012-2013 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2013-2014 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2014-2015 Southern Illinois University Application Thread
2015-2016 Applicant Sticky

Quick Facts
Application timetable
Earliest date: June
Latest date: November 15
Acceptance timetable
Earliest date: November
Response deadline: 2 weeks after acceptance
Screening fee: $60
Oldest MCAT considered: 2012 MCAT for 2015 applications

Data from 2014-2015 cycle
MD Applications: 1,312
MD/JD applications: 47
Acceptances: 145 (11%)
Matriculants: 72
Mean age: 23 (20-30)
Mean GPA: 3.64
Mean MCAT: 30

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Another application season is among us!

Just wondering -- from reading other threads it looks like they prefer Central/Southern Illinois residents. I'm currently residing in West Chicago Suburbs area and going to school at UIC. The website states that

"SIUMED only accepts legal Illinois residents for the regular MD program. Legal residents are considered to be those in possession of a valid Illinois drivers’ license and/or those who are also registered to vote in the State. Only the combined medicine and law (MD/JD) program considers non-Illinois residents."

I do have a IL drivers license.. does that mean my application will be considered?

Members don't see this ad :)
My class has a few people from the suburbs - almost everyone is from below I-80 line with a majority under the I-74 line. We have a few people who were raised here and went to SEMO and schools outside of Illinois but have a permanent address with their families here in Illinois. There is a preference, but if you're stellar and you meet the school's mission statement, there's a chance!

Thank you @ncklkrt for the response. I don't know if I'd stick out amongst the crowd (3.6 GPA, have yet to take the new MCAT but tons of EC) and I had no idea they also prefer a certain area within Illinois. Though I do identify with their mission and going to primary care -- so might as well give it a shot, right? Thanks again :)

SIU has updated their minimum MCAT requirements to either a 24(old MCAT) or a 498(new MCAT) Good luck!

Secondary Prompts
SIU School of Medicine uses a holistic approach to identify and select a diverse student body best suited to fulfill its mission: to assist the people of Central and Southern Illinois in meeting their health care needs through education, patient care, research, and ervice to the community. In what ways do you believe you would contribute to this mission?

To be successful as a student at SIU School of Medicine and as a practicing physician, you must be flexible and committed to cultiating and employing critical interactive and learning skills. Describe your experiences that demonstrate: contribution in a teamwork setting; engagement in self-directed and life-long learning (taking personal initiative to identify and address your learning goals and needs); and exposure to the small group tutorial process used in a problem-based learning environment.

If you have previously applied to SIU School of Medicine, please describe how you feel you have strengthened your credentials since that application.

Any idea of the character/word limit for each response?

Any idea of the character/word limit for each response?
I talked to a friend that applied here. The first essay is 300 words, and the second essay is 500 words. In case anyone else wondered.

Is anyone else not seeing an option on AMCAS for just the MD program? All I have the option of selecting is the Combined Medical Degree/Graduate, which includes Law. Where is the option for just MD?

Is anyone else not seeing an option on AMCAS for just the MD program? All I have the option of selecting is the Combined Medical Degree/Graduate, which includes Law. Where is the option for just MD?
You have to be an IL resident to apply to the MD Program.

Heard from SIU today... hoping to get a secondary from here. In-state but from Chicago...

Got a invite to do the secondary today!! :)

Got a invite to do the secondary today!! :)

SIU pre-screens so secondaries almost always = interview invites... get it done asap so you can get your date set up

Members don't see this ad :)
SIU pre-screens so secondaries almost always = interview invites... get it done asap so you can get your date set up

Really? Wow. I am working on it now. Thanks for the advice! Are you a student there?

Really? Wow. I am working on it now. Thanks for the advice! Are you a student there?
Not Pasmal, but he is a student who is fantastic at this SDN thing - I'm attempting to learn his ways to carry on the legacy - I will be starting MS2 at SIU in early August :) and hopefully assisting in answering questions along the way. I've contacted our head of admissions to also hopefully be one of the students giving tours on interview day so I hope to see you all then!

Last edited:
Not Pasmal, but he is a student who is fantastic at this SDN thing - I'm attempting to learn his ways to carry on the legacy - I will be starting MS2 at SIU in early August :) and hopefully assisting in answering questions along the way. I've contacted our head of admissions to also hopefully be one of the students giving tours on interview day so I hope to see you all then!

Oh great! Hopefully I get a II & I hope to see you then as well ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Is the first prompt asking for a diversity essay or asking us to describe past experiences when we meet heath care needs through education, patient care, research, or service?

Is the first prompt asking for a diversity essay or asking us to describe past experiences when we meet heath care needs through education, patient care, research, or service?

I think by diversity they mean that there are a lot of different ways people can contribute to that mission, so it's a good way to show how some of your activities, goals, etc parallel the values of the school (including location so make sure to mention any ties to southern/central IL)

I just got an email about an interview today! Very excited!!

Reactions: 4 users
I just got an email about an interview today! Very excited!!

When did your primary get submitted, and when did you get your secondary? If you don't mind me asking. Congrats on the interview by the way!

My primary was submitted early, the school got it on July 1st, the first day they could. I got my secondary on the 14th and submitted it the same day and sent in my check. They emailed me the 27th and told me of the interview! and Thanks!

Hey everyone! I'm about to start my first year down in Carbondale and if you have questions about the application or interview process feel free to PM me! Good luck to everyone!

I have an interview the last week of August, any pointers?
The main thing is to be yourself. My interviews were very relaxed and laid back, and they just wanted to get to know you. Be sincere, genuine, and positive in what your saying. The interviews are more of a conversation than a Q&A. Make sure to look over your application beforehand because there is a good chance they may refer to something on there. Everyone is incredibly nice and welcoming, and do their best to put you at ease during a stressful day. Good luck!

Do they send an email when the app is complete? I mailed my signature form and fee yesterday and was just curious

Do they send an email when the app is complete? I mailed my signature form and fee yesterday and was just curious
Once I sent in the signature page and fee, the next email I received said that they had received all my information and that they wanted to schedule an interview. It was about 7-10 days between when I submitted the secondary and got the II.

Once I sent in the signature page and fee, the next email I received said that they had received all my information and that they wanted to schedule an interview. It was about 7-10 days between when I submitted the secondary and got the II.
Awesome! Thank you for the quick reply. I'll hold tight and hope in that case.

Interview invite!!! :highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
Interview invite today! Here's to hoping the first one is the toughest!
Congratulations to everyone on their interviews! Looks like interview season is starting full swing! Us second years don't start until August 10, so if you come after you'll stop by some of the PBL rooms - be sure to say hi! Until the middle-end of August you will have MS3/MS4/Faculty giving tours until they have time to train MS2's, then the rest of the interview season is usually MS2 giving tours.

Best of luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
If I got an email from them on the 16th but still no secondary, do you guys think I'm out of the running? :( Congrats to all the interview folks!!

If I got an email from them on the 16th but still no secondary, do you guys think I'm out of the running? :( Congrats to all the interview folks!!
I just got the secondary yesterday.

They get the bulk of applications around this time, so it could be taking longer than usual, but that does not guarantee you will get a secondary. As Pasmal said, SIU pre-screens secondaries, so the good news is a secondary usually means eventual interview! Tis the season to keep fingers permanently crossed!

Screeners Alternate o_O

I'm not from the central/southern part of IL, so I'm not surprised.

Got my secondary application invite! Fingers crossed that leads to an interview after I get it submitted here in the next couple days. Good luck to everyone who already has an interview!

Verified July 31st, and got an email that they will review my app august 3rd, but no invite for secondary yet anyone know how long it usually takes to receive secondary?

Looking at my email history here was my timeframe:

Application Acknowledgement: 7/8/13
Preliminary Review Complete: 7/12/13
Secondary Application: 7/15/13
Interview Invite: 7/25/13
Interview Day: 8/26/13
AWPA: 9/26/13
Acceptance: 12/2/13

Edit: Also found out training for MS2 to give tours is August 26, so interview days after that should have an MS2 tour guide - between now and then will be faculty / Ms3 / Ms4. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Interview season has begun - good luck to all!

Last edited:
I am a 1st year medical student at SIU and happy to answer questions as well. Good luck to everyone applying!

Should I email admissions if I havent gotten secondary yet? verified august 1st?

Feel free to call or email if you have questions! We just started interviews and tours though so I wouldn't be surprised if the the delay between primary and secondary is now a little longer

Do they send you an email with acknowledgement that they got your check and signed form?

Do they send you an email with acknowledgement that they got your check and signed form?

No. In most cases the check and signed form complete an applicants file, and from there the school reaches out rather quickly to set up an interview. In the few cases that something remains missing in the file at that point (an LOR or something) Beth will call/email and let that applicant know his/her file is still not complete.

Hi! I'm an applicant and I've been reading through past threads for some time now. I have a question for current SIU students:

I understand the structure for PBL and the generation of learning issues and I think this is an excellent learning method. I'm curious to know how the students study for exams. How do you know which details are important to know and study? I have no experience with PBL and I'm used to going to lectures and studying for exams based on the lectures. PBL seems like a much more effective method but it also seems like it can be overwhelming. I know everyone is different but what are your study methods and how do you effectively study in such a curriculum? How do you know which details to focus on and how do you prepare yourself for exams?

I know this topic has kind of been touched on before but can some of you share your general experiences and what works for you? Thanks!

Hi! I'm an applicant and I've been reading through past threads for some time now. I have a question for current SIU students:

I understand the structure for PBL and the generation of learning issues and I think this is an excellent learning method. I'm curious to know how the students study for exams. How do you know which details are important to know and study? I have no experience with PBL and I'm used to going to lectures and studying for exams based on the lectures. PBL seems like a much more effective method but it also seems like it can be overwhelming. I know everyone is different but what are your study methods and how do you effectively study in such a curriculum? How do you know which details to focus on and how do you prepare yourself for exams?

I know this topic has kind of been touched on before but can some of you share your general experiences and what works for you? Thanks!

Depends on you! I don't think out of the 78 of us that two people study the exact same way or even use the exact same source material. There are a couple resources that a lot of people really enjoy, and some stick with those while others do other things. Some people study 8 hours a day every day, others study 1-2 hours a day and then 10-12 hours on exam week. Lots of us go out on the weekends and take a day or two off to unwind, others don't!

In regards to your first year, PBL is the primary source of learning and knowing what to learn. Your first case will usually cover a blood disorder, and you as a group will generate learning issues and teach yourselves those topics. Throughout the week the case is open, there will be relevant resource sessions that are optional lectures that cover small portions of learning issues. Example: your learning issue is the physiology of jaundice. One lecture will be the biochemistry of the bilirubin cycle the other will be the physiology of bilirubin excretion and what happens after. At the end of each case, the staff releases a comprehensive learning issue list as a PDF. If the topic is on that list, it will pretty much guarantee that it will be on the exam. Exam material covers what is on the learning issue list PLUS the resource sessions. If it was on a PowerPoint slide or bullet-ed list you're responsible for it.

For me, I would use the learning issues as an outline of what to cover. For the jaundice example, I would Wikipedia an overview of the bilirubin cycle to get an overview, then use a physiology text to get the details and take notes on both. Some topics I would watch YouTube videos online to get a better understanding. At the end of each case as well they release Self Assessment Questions (SAQs). The SAQs, especially toward the later parts of the year, are extremely helpful in seeing the caliber of the question and what kind of thinking you're expected.

However, as with all medical schools, there is simply too much information to be able to know what's important and what is not. You cannot possibly understand the entirety of the human body. The first few weeks / months of first year are critical in learning what kind of information you need to focus on and how detailed you need to go in depth while also knowing what things you can look over once and be okay with. You aren't expected to go any deeper than the lectures or SAQs, but the questions can be multifaceted in that you're required to use multiple sciences to answer. Example: using biochemistry of metabolism to explain the physiology of glucose uptake. You would have to know glucose metabolism biochemical pathway, how glucose enters the body, how it's broken down, how it's absorbed, used by the body, and how it's excreted while also knowing what can go wrong at each of the steps. School is exactly like the phrase you've heard 1000 times as it's like trying to drink out of a fire hose.

For me, I stayed on top of the learning issues and covered each and every one with all cases, then printed out the final LI list and made sure I had everything on there. After reviewing, I'd take the SAQs and then take notes on which ones I missed and if I saw a word or phrase in the question I didn't know to make sure I looked over it. That was my normal routine throughout the week while also taking notes on the lecture slides. A week before the exam I would revisit all the lectures, then read over my notes, then re-take all the SAQs. Any questions still missed I'd be super sure to make sure I knew.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thorough response! I really appreciate it. Was adjusting to the PBL curriculum tough for you or any of your peers? How about the adjustment to medical school in general? Can you, or anyone, share some challenges you faced and some advice on how to prepare for the transition. I know medical school is an a whole different level compared to undergrad so I'd love to hear about what students went through and the insight they may have.

Thanks for the thorough response! I really appreciate it. Was adjusting to the PBL curriculum tough for you or any of your peers? How about the adjustment to medical school in general? Can you, or anyone, share some challenges you faced and some advice on how to prepare for the transition. I know medical school is an a whole different level compared to undergrad so I'd love to hear about what students went through and the insight they may have.

It was a natural adjustment for me as about half of my classes in undergrad followed similar formats on a few occasions. If you're good at working in groups and with other people, it should be natural to get adjusted. But, you switch group members and tutor leaders each unit, and it takes a little while to get to know your group members and how they operate, as well as each tutor requiring slightly different things from the group. All in all, most groups find their niche after the first case and rock it from there. There are a few people who absolutely hate PBL and would rather read a textbook, but it's required MS1 and MS2 so I say get the most out of it and try your best!

In terms of adjusting to medical school, there's really no hard and fast "you'll get it by this date" kind of thing. MS1, while learning massive amount of information, especially the first few months should be used to learn HOW to learn. It took me and most of my classmates about 2-3 months to get fully accustomed and had a schedule down-pat for what we needed to cover. There's really no exaggeration in that a semester in undergrad is about the same amount of material as 1-2 weeks of medical school. Last week, for example, we covered the entirety of infectious viruses, and we have an exam on Friday over them, giving us just under a week to completely understand them. You learn quickly, usually after the first exam, if you're studying properly and able to retain the material well enough to pass the exams. Once you get your groove, don't mess with it; most everyone is doing the same thing they did last year as it worked well enough to get them to MS2!

As far as advice goes, everyone is completely different and what works for me won't work for you or anyone else. During MS1, I changed how I took notes 4 times in the first unit alone just to find something that worked for me, and it turned out to be completely different from what I did in undergrad. I would highly suggest learning to take notes on a laptop or tablet as I'd say 90% of the class uses those to annotate PDF lectures while the rest use paper and pencil, which works for them so awesome! Find your niche, get organized, and stick with it!

In terms of preparation, don't do absolutely anything the summer before medical school and use it as your last relaxation session. Once school starts, it comes hard and fast and doesn't stop until the end of the year. Come to school with an open mind, willingness to meet new people, and motivation to sit down and study for 10 hours a day on test weeks when it's 75* and sunny outside. Almost everyone, if you are willing and able to put in the time and effort, can succeed and exceed expectations throughout medical school.

They met yesterday for the first group. Super nervous to get my decision in the mail