2015-2016 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Heard this was a pretty low yield school. How true is that?

Heard this was a pretty low yield school. How true is that?

According to MSAR, this past cycle they received 974 in-state applications and 10,046 (!) OOS applications. They interviewed 755 of the 10,046 OOS applicants and 137 matriculated (they don't say how many they accepted). I think it's the sheer number of OOS applicants that leads to the low-yield label being applied to the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
According to MSAR, this past cycle they received 974 in-state applications and 10,046 (!) OOS applications. They interviewed 755 of the 10,046 OOS applicants and 137 matriculated (they don't say how many they accepted). I think it's the sheer number of OOS applicants that leads to the low-yield label being applied to the school.
According to MSAR median stats are 3.7/33. Could it be that it one of those situation that higher stats apply because they feel its safe and middle stats apply because they feel they are reasonable leading to a large amount of applicants?

Hey everyone! I'm a current MS4 at Tufts in the regular track . If anyone has any questions about the school feel free to post here or PM me and I'll do my best to answer.

Hey everyone! I'm a current MS4 at Tufts in the regular track . If anyone has any questions about the school feel free to post here or PM me and I'll do my best to answer.

Why did you decide to apply to such a low-yield school? Ties to the school/area?

What are the different tracks here?

Last edited:
Why did you decide to apply to such a low-yield school? Ties to the school/area?

I went to Tuft undergrad and am from the area.

Speaking to the low yield issue, it is true that Tufts lies in kind of a sweet spot stats wise, but I don't want to discourage people from applying. I think if you are really below the average in terms of stats, and would apply to Tufts as a reach school, that it is not worthwhile given the amount of competition.

I'm very much interested in community health awareness and promotion.

Is Community Health Advocates at Tufts (CHAT) still alive? Their website: http://sites.tufts.edu/chat/
Most recent update was in 2012.

just got the secondary email at work, getting started tonight!

Members don't see this ad :)
YAY!!! Please post the questions, whenever you get the chance! Would be so greatly appreciated

Just got the secondary as well:

1. Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

2. Do you consider yourself a person who would contribute to the diversity of the student body of Tufts University School of Medicine?

3. Do you have any withdrawals or repeated coursework listed on your transcript(s).

4. Did you take any leaves of absence or significant breaks from your undergraduate education? (Do not include time off after graduation.)

5. Is any member of your family a graduate of TUSM or a current member of our faculty?

And a question at the end about whether or not you participated in various Tufts programs. All character counts are 1000, and you only *have* to write these essay responses if your answer to any of the above is 'yes'.

How should we fill out the competency part (not the prereqs)?? Do we just list classes again like we do for the prereqs? Like for english competency, how would you indicate how you have acquired this competency?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if/how Tufts screens? I have a 2.7s/2.97c gpa, 4.0 tufts SMP gpa, 35 MCAT and didn't get anything today. Worried I won't get any human eyes on my app

Anyone know if/how Tufts screens? I have a 2.7s/2.97c gpa, 4.0 tufts SMP gpa, 35 MCAT and didn't get anything today. Worried I won't get any human eyes on my app

3.88s/3.78c gpa and 80-85 percentile mcat, no supplementary either.

I didn't think they do, but it seems like they are sending out secondaries in batches because I didn't get mine until 3 CT or 2 hours after other people in this thread received them. I have been verified since early June and while my stats aren't amazing they probably aren't bad enough that I would get screened out. I wouldn't stress you will probably get them soon.

Thanks guys

Only 3 LOR accpeted or can we send more?

I just received my secondary, so they're still at it.

Received my secondary half an hour ago.

Anyone applying to the MD/MPH program know its specific secondary Qs?

Should we include info for the first question (any additional comments) if there is no grades or gap years to explain?

Hmm thinking about this school. More specifically the Maine track. I am from TN, but my dad is from right outside of Portland and his whole side of the family still lives there. Would that be considered strong ties to Maine?

How should we fill out the competency part (not the prereqs)?? Do we just list classes again like we do for the prereqs? Like for english competency, how would you indicate how you have acquired this competency?
*BUMP

Just got a secondary. I'm confused if I should list future courses for my pre-req requirements since I am an incoming senior... two of my pre-req courses are senior year... how would we do this?

Per their instructions, I'm just gonna say something like "I have demonstrated competency through completion of a Bachelor's degree in a English speaking university"

Can anyone chime in on whether Tufts has a big focus on serving the large Asian population in nearby Chinatown? I know about the community health stuff but any idea on the population the hospital serves? @Chir0nex

What on earth does contributing to diversity mean? If it's just about being non-white you already fill that out on AMCAS. I don't know, it strikes me as offensive to ask about race while pretending to not ask about race. Maybe I'm just a naive Canadian.
Unless I'm wrong and they're really just asking whether you think you're a unique snowflake...

Anyone applying to the MD/MPH program know its specific secondary Qs?
What experience have you had that you consider relevant to the MD/MPH graduate degree program to which you are applying? (Include paid or volunteer work experiences and/or extracurricular activities) (3000 characters or less).

How do you foresee making use of your combined degree training in your future career? Please be as specific as possible (3000 characters or less).

Oh yeah? I just figured the word 'diversity' almost always refers to race/ethnicity. In that case I'm going to talk about how great Canadians are!

Oh yeah? I just figured the word 'diversity' almost always refers to race/ethnicity. In that case I'm going to talk about how great Canadians are!
this is a tragedy of the liberal generation that hyperpolarizes everything

I think talking about your Canadian culture is a great idea, but I think just talking about how your experiences have made you unique and given you specific qualities can make someone be considered an addition to the diversity.

this is a tragedy of the liberal generation that hyperpolarizes everything

Seriously? You're telling me that you see a question about diversity on an application and your mind doesn't jump to race? Give me a break, all of these applications ask multiple questions about your background and whether you consider yourself part of a disadvantaged group etc etc. Isn't Tufts one of the schools that asks you to attach a photo? There's no doubt that this question is there for people to talk about their ethnic background, but also allows you to mention other things if you want.

Seriously? You're telling me that you see a question about diversity on an application and your mind doesn't jump to race? Give me a break, all of these applications ask multiple questions about your background and whether you consider yourself part of a disadvantaged group etc etc. Isn't Tufts one of the schools that asks you to attach a photo? There's no doubt that this question is there for people to talk about their ethnic background, but also allows you to mention other things if you want.
I think about ethnicity, yes, but it would be sad if that is all I think about. Is my Asian background diverse? Maybe. But there are other Asians out there. Being Asian is not all who I am. Much more diverse are my archery skills, my college major, my dedication to a certain hobby that shall remain unnamed. If the only thing "diverse" about you is your race or ethnicity, then you are not that diverse because there are hundreds just like you filling out the same app. My guess is that schools know this; it can speak volumes of someone's maturity to see how they interpret "diversity." Again, I'm only half joking with the liberal generation comment. our generation fights for good things but often takes it to an extreme and starts seeing everything as a part of that narrative. Diversity is more about SES and skin color; people need to understand already.

Also, you are wrong. There is much doubt on why the question exists. I just saw on another thread today @Goro speaking about the question; it is not at all what you think, honey.

You cannot seriously think that the photo is to only judge people by their skin color. Wouldn't you want to have a photo to remember interviewees so people can remember who they saw when during a large committee meeting? Many many schools want a photo. How else are they supposed to remember the guy who was rude to someone during the day so they can dock him or vice versa for someone who showed a lot of maturity throughout the day?

For this question:
Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine?

Would adding that I got a job as an High School Biology Teacher for this coming school year be worth mentioning? I didn't get the position until after i submitted my AMCAS and there's really no place to add this into my app anyhow.

It is absurdly naive to say that interpreting the word diversity as more than ethnicity is a sign of maturity. I'm well aware that that word CAN be used in a broad "tell me all about your lovely self!" way, but you have to be very, very out of touch with reality to think that this is what they're getting at. Many schools have questions in their secondaries that are phrased, "Tell us something about yourself that isn't on your application", "Why do you think you're a good fit at our school", "What makes you a strong and unique applicant?". Asking applicants to describe how they add to a school's diversity is clearly a choice, and one that was made because they want a class with a diverse ethnic background.
I'm not even saying that it's a bad thing, targeting disadvantaged groups to create opportunity is anything but. What I resent is them asking a vaguely worded question in the hopes that you talk about your ethnicity.

Also, I'd like to point that Canadian schools, with extremely "diverse" students but fewer racial problems than the States, never ask for a photo. I guess we just have really good memories. ;)

"Tell us something about yourself that isn't on your application", "Why do you think you're a good fit at our school", "What makes you a strong and unique applicant?"
only the last of those three questions serves anywhere close to the same purpose for getting interesting things out of an applicant. The first is for special circumstances, not hobbies or anything like that; the second has to do with fit, and random interesting things you are good at typically don't have anything to do with fit. So no, I don't buy that so other schools are asking the exact same thing in different ways.

The Canadian pool is much much smaller. Again, your biases are clouding your judgment. The largest Canadian schools interview 500-600 applicants (MSAR source). Most see around 350, it seems. It is much easier to keep track of 300-500 than it is the 900+ that many MD schools see. It is easier to have better memories with half the amount of people fluttering in and out. Think about it.

Please take this conversation elsewhere

Reactions: 2 users
Would it be weird to explain an F I got 6 years ago? I'm afraid it'll just draw more attention to it, but also feel like I should talk about it. (I was going to use the first question on the secondary to do so)

If it's just a single F, then there is no need to talk about it, unless you really want to. I have a whole term which I didn't turn in a drop form, and after working with our premed advisor and some people at admissions, it ended up getting addressed in about 2 sentences in my essay. Don't focus on it

And they send 2ndaries to everyone according to MSAR @IlyaR I'm not even verified yet and I got it.

Per their instructions, I'm just gonna say something like "I have demonstrated competency through completion of a Bachelor's degree in a English speaking university"

That sounds ridiculous when I read it out loud...I would argue completing a Bachelor's degree in a English speaking university is far from competent enough to become a physician in the U.S.

That sounds ridiculous when I read it out loud...I would argue completing a Bachelor's degree in a English speaking university is far from competent enough to become a physician in the U.S.
He means competent in English..