You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Tufts University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
submitted my secondary, these are getting exhausting..good luck everyone!
For the first question about additional comments, do you think it'd be appropriate here to say that I applied here via the early assurance program and received an interview and talk about what I learned from the tour and interview experience?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Under the status tab is anyone else seeing that their MCAT scores have not been received even though AMCAS has been verified and LORs received???
Under the status tab is anyone else seeing that their MCAT scores have not been received even though AMCAS has been verified and LORs received???
yeah the same thing is happening to me. I submitted last night but it'll probably take a day or two
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one! Thanks!yeah the same thing is happening to me. I submitted last night but it'll probably take a day or two
Can anyone chime in on whether Tufts has a big focus on serving the large Asian population in nearby Chinatown? I know about the community health stuff but any idea on the population the hospital serves? @Chir0nex
So I actually have only done an anesthesia elective at Tufts Medical center itself I can't speak to the specific patient population on inpatient wards or anything like that. From what I have heard you tend to have more asian patients in the ED, but I otherwise there is a pretty broad diversity in the rest of the hospital. If you are specifically interested in working with the Chinatown population you would probably be able to do so in preclinical years as part of the community service requirement and/or via the CAP program in second year. In 3rd year you could probably do family practice in the area to get a more dedicated experience.
TL;DR - There is no default focus on the chinatown population, however if you want to work with this group more you can do so by structure your elective and rotation schedule.
For the pre-reqs page, we can jut list the classes as bullet points right? Why do they give us 1000 characters to list a couple of courses? Feel like I'm missing something
That's what I did. It says list course name and number. Nothing moreFor the pre-reqs page, we can jut list the classes as bullet points right? Why do they give us 1000 characters to list a couple of courses? Feel like I'm missing something
I'm not really sure how to answer the competencies without saying I took X class and covered Y topic, which so happens to fit your Y competency.
The school does not seem to have a lot on their website about their specific focus as a medical school....can anyone speak to that?
does anyone know what the max amount of letters of rec can be sent?
+1
So what're people using the additional comments essay for? Anything special or blank? I was thinking maybe my gap year plans since I'm actually moving to Boston for a job buuuuuuuuut let's be honest, they probably don't care eh?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I am using it as a quick two sentence summary of what I have been doing this summer that would be of interest to them.So what're people using the additional comments essay for? Anything special or blank? I was thinking maybe my gap year plans since I'm actually moving to Boston for a job buuuuuuuuut let's be honest, they probably don't care eh?
Oh nice. To be honest, most schools don't expect anything when they ask for additional comments right? I mean...sure we can include extra essays but I wouldn't want to send in "challenge" or "diversity" unless they explicitly ask for it with a separate prompt. That's just what I think but I could be wrong?I think I am using it as a quick two sentence summary of what I have been doing this summer that would be of interest to them.
Tufts had one or two other essays, right? I haven't look at it for a bit because I'm still waiting on a letter of rec to come in. But I don't think many schools expect anything substantial in those essays. Like I said above, I see it just as a place they give you to outline anything else you have been up to that they might look favorably on.Oh nice. To be honest, most schools don't expect anything when they ask for additional comments right? I mean...sure we can include extra essays but I wouldn't want to send in "challenge" or "diversity" unless they explicitly ask for it with a separate prompt. That's just what I think but I could be wrong?
Tufts had one or two other essays, right? I haven't look at it for a bit because I'm still waiting on a letter of rec to come in. But I don't think many schools expect anything substantial in those essays. Like I said above, I see it just as a place they give you to outline anything else you have been up to that they might look favorably on.
Does it look bad to leave the "additional comments" blank? I'm a non-trad but think that the narrative of what I've been up to is pretty clear from the rest of my application. Considered putting in a brief "why Tufts?" essay, but that seems like sucking up...
Nah I think a "Why" for an additional comments would make adcoms brush it over. I'm sure your non-trad story is just right for the app!Does it look bad to leave the "additional comments" blank? I'm a non-trad but think that the narrative of what I've been up to is pretty clear from the rest of my application. Considered putting in a brief "why Tufts?" essay, but that seems like sucking up...
does anyone know what the max amount of letters of rec can be sent?
any comments?
For our competencies, do you guys think we should list only the courses for showing we completed them - or do you think we should list any advanced classes we have?
Can't decide and don't want to annoy the Admissions team if they want just the minimum.
Can't decide and don't want to annoy the Admissions team if they want just the minimum.
does anyone know what the max amount of letters of rec can be sent?
My understanding from their site is that they want 3 and only 3 letters. I might be wrong though.
I'm actually really worried about this bc I originally clicked "select all" for all my letters on AMCAS, so now all my schools got 6 despite their limits 🙁 i hope that isn't what ruins this cycle for meMy understanding from their site is that they want 3 and only 3 letters. I might be wrong though.
Any Maine trackers?
Do you guys think it is okay to abbreviate Tufts University School of Medicine to TUSM in the essays?
Man I hope it's not a big deal that I said "Tufts" instead of "TUSM." That would really blow.Do you guys think it is okay to abbreviate Tufts University School of Medicine to TUSM in the essays?
I don't see why that would really matter. As long as you didn't copy and paste an essay with a completely different school name in it, I think you're fine.Man I hope it's not a big deal that I said "Tufts" instead of "TUSM." That would really blow.
I don't see why that would really matter. As long as you didn't copy and paste an essay with a completely different school name in it, I think you're fine.
Even though I "rewrite" my essays on each secondary, instead of copy/paste, this is my biggest fear. Which is why I rewrite them all in in lieu of copy/paste hah.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha I reread my essays to triple check I have the correct school name and it's spelled correctly.Even though I "rewrite" my essays on each secondary, instead of copy/paste, this is my biggest fear. Which is why I rewrite them all in in lieu of copy/paste hah.
Haha me too. I would hate to be rejected because the wrong school name was written..
Haha I envision an adcom seeing the wrong school name in a secondary essay and sending the whole app on a one way ticket to the paper shredderHaha me too. I would hate to be rejected because the wrong school name was written..

The competency questions are a little annoying.
How are people answering the competency questions?The competency questions are a little annoying.
the lab one, I'm just going to say something along the lines of I have 2 years worth of labs with the pre-reqs in addition to my years of experience being a research assistant. I'll briefly talk about specific lab techniques that I have experience with. For the english competency question, I'm just going to say that I graduated from an English speaking University (the thing it says in the directions). For the math one, I'm just going to talk about the courses I took. And for the Bio one, I'm gonna talk about the courses I took as well. I really don't like these questions.
Also, I feel that I got my bio competency just by studying for the mcat...
Okay, cool. I thought going into detail would be overkill, but wanted to see what other people thought.I literally wrote the subjects I took, lab/research and current occupation when applicable. I didn't go into detail about topics involved in the classes or types of instruments I am familiar with.
I wrote the bare minimum. Graduated with bachelor's, courses for the others, and I wrote my lab courses and those that included labs.Okay, cool. I thought going into detail would be overkill, but wanted to see what other people thought.
Wonder when IIs start coming out...
What is the maximum number of LoRs that we can submit? 🙂
Is anyone else using the "Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters) " question to answer why tufts... would I be remiss not to include this since I have the space (I have nothing else to write there)?
I included nothing. However, I am also a member of the "don't turn it into a 'why X University' essay unless there is a specific prompt asking for such" camp.Is anyone else using the "Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters) " question to answer why tufts... would I be remiss not to include this since I have the space (I have nothing else to write there)?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got the secondary today 🙂 I'm still waiting on AMCAS verification so that really came out of the blue! Of course now that it's submitted I'm second-guessing all of the essays.
Shouldn't be a problem at allDo you guys think it is okay to abbreviate Tufts University School of Medicine to TUSM in the essays?
Is anyone else using the "Do you wish to include any comments (in addition to those already provided in your AMCAS application) to the Admissions Committee at Tufts University School of Medicine? (1000 characters) " question to answer why tufts... would I be remiss not to include this since I have the space (I have nothing else to write there)?
I used it as a "why Tufts" but I have my undergrad degree from Tufts and am going to be getting my Masters from Tufts so the school is pretty important to me!
I have heard that Tufts requires an official letter to document all institutional actions, but there were no instructions in the supplemental application detailing how to fulfill this requirement. Will they contact me about this?
Anybody receive a request or have any insight? Thanks!
Anybody receive a request or have any insight? Thanks!
Hey all! Anybody else show their MCAT scores as not received? My primary was verified in June and secondary submitted on the 10th of July. My MCAT scores have been uploaded to other schools. Should I wait a bit more or contact them?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K