2015-2016 Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fingers crossed for all of us! When were yall complete?

I was complete the first week of August, and received an email from admissions 2 weeks later saying they received all my materials.

Reactions: 1 user
I was complete the first week of August, and received an email from admissions 2 weeks later saying they received all my materials.
Hmm. I was complete 8/20. I wonder if they've gotten to mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the II by email. Submitted secondary in July and AMCAS was verified Aug 7th or so. Good luck everyone!

Do yo think they will send any out tomorrow too? Congrats to those who got their II!!!

Not sure how it happened but part of what you quoted wasn't me and those two quotes together imply I want a rejection lol...

Wish I'd gotten an II today, but no love here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, no, haha. I was replying to both of you because you both replied to my message about interviews going out yesterday.

Asked for a status update and received an email saying that I have been reviewed favorable but they want to see more of the applicant pool before they offer me a II. Not sure if this is good or bad....

Asked for a status update and received an email saying that I have been reviewed favorable but they want to see more of the applicant pool before they offer me a II. Not sure if this is good or bad....
I got that email about a month ago as well. It means we weren't weeded out but no II's for us for now. :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
I got that email about a month ago as well. It means we weren't weeded out but no II's for us for now. :-/
Do you think it is worth emailing LTC Saguil to clarify and see if I still have a shot?

Do you think it is worth emailing LTC Saguil to clarify and see if I still have a shot?
You are certainly welcome to do so. When I emailed him while I was waitlisted last cycle, he was very informative and helpful. That said, if you received a response where they said that you were reviewed favorably, that's a pretty good sign that you "still have a shot."

I'd like some advice by way of opinion.
I have an interview in the coming weeks here. I recently purchased a suit for this interview and didn't realize that this suit was a British style suit until after I took it home. This means that it has fasteners on the pants and doesn't require a belt much like tuxedo pants. From what I have gathered as a civilian I understand that being presentable and wearing a proper uniform is a big part of being in the military. Will my not wearing a belt be detrimental or a distraction to my interview? There are no loops to put the belt through.

I'd like some advice by way of opinion.
I have an interview in the coming weeks here. I recently purchased a suit for this interview and didn't realize that this suit was a British style suit until after I took it home. This means that it has fasteners on the pants and doesn't require a belt much like tuxedo pants. From what I have gathered as a civilian I understand that being presentable and wearing a proper uniform is a big part of being in the military. Will my not wearing a belt be detrimental or a distraction to my interview? There are no loops to put the belt through.
My personal opinion is that unless it looks noticeable "weird" it's not a big deal. If you're wearing the suit the way it's meant to be worn (suspenders maybe?) then I think you're good to go.

By the way everyone who was at the interview with me last year was either in a suit or uniform for those wondering.

My personal opinion is that unless it looks noticeable "weird" it's not a big deal. If you're wearing the suit the way it's meant to be worn (suspenders maybe?) then I think you're good to go.

By the way everyone who was at the interview with me last year was either in a suit or uniform for those wondering.

suspenders....that's not a bad idea, I'll have to think about that one! Thanks! If anybody happens to feel like this is EXTREMELY important, please chime in, otherwise I won't buy another suit.

suspenders....that's not a bad idea, I'll have to think about that one! Thanks! If anybody happens to feel like this is EXTREMELY important, please chime in, otherwise I won't buy another suit.
Yeah the only reason I said suspenders, is if they look "right" with it, you wouldn't wear a belt anyways (one or the other, not both). The people I work with all wear suits when we teach, but one of our instructors always wears suspenders and a bow tie. It's different but definitely still very professional looking.

I'm 100% certain you'll be fine, nobody will even know the difference unless you take your jacket off, and there's no reason to do that at all.

October 22nd Intervewees: I'm planning on getting there early in the morning the 21st and wandering around DC a bit if anyone wants to join for some pre-interview touristing

October 22nd Intervewees: I'm planning on getting there early in the morning the 21st and wandering around DC a bit if anyone wants to join for some pre-interview touristing
Ahhhh. I'd love to. Wish I had an interview that day. Have fun!

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who took advantage of the student host program, when did you get an email about your student & housing?
My interview is on 10/1, and i haven't heard anything

How do we learn that a branch is full? Is that something that will just be known because somebody posts it on here or is there a way we can get that information from usuhs? I have a preference for Air Force but if it is going to be full it would make more sense to list my second choice Army since I would rather join military medicine and attend usuhs than joining my first preference.

How do we learn that a branch is full? Is that something that will just be known because somebody posts it on here or is there a way we can get that information from usuhs? I have a preference for Air Force but if it is going to be full it would make more sense to list my second choice Army since I would rather join military medicine and attend usuhs than joining my first preference.
It's a personal decision but I definitely understand your thought process on it.

As for what branches are full when, we were told rough statuses of them at our interviews.

Out of the blue. I had contacted about an update but was already replied to about that. This was about a week later. Could have been related but I don't think so.

Oh I see. Well hopefully they just haven't gotten to mine yet.

I have a preference for Air Force but if it is going to be full it would make more sense to list my second choice Army since I would rather join military medicine and attend usuhs than joining my first preference.

Not sure if they will do it this year, but I saw on older threads that if they were wait listed for a specific branch they could call to change their preference for a different branch

Just got a II for October 29th!!!

Reactions: 3 users
anyone interviewing on 15OCT?

Got a question I'd like to pick some brains with... I'm a non-trad applicant-- 32 yr/old, 2.95 undergrad, 3.9 grad (M.S. pending), 31 MCAT, former Army reservist with 8 years in service and 1 combat tour.

Obviously, my grads are a terrible drag, would my age be a problem? Would greatly appreciate any insight.
It shouldn't be. That said I have very similar stats. I had a 2.9 UG, 3.85 post-bacc UG (bringing total UG to 3.15) and a 3.8 masters GPA, as well as a 33 MCAT. I am active duty Navy with 10 years in, also 32. I interviewed last year on October 23rd but all Navy spots were full already.

If you are interviewing on October 15th, you have a very good shot. It's an early interview, and if you're going for Army, there are more spots (because it's bigger for one reason). The biggest hurdle for USUHS is getting to the interview stage as early as you can. You already nailed that one. Try to relax at your interview and let them see how awesome you are. You'll do great!

Thank you so much for the encouraging words-- they are pretty foreign to me. I do prefer army, but if I rank army and navy equally, does that mean that (if accepted) they'd just put me into the first available slot? Maybe this is a very strange question, but how does one get rejected at this point?

Best of luck to you this year!
To get outright rejected you would have to do something pretty outlandish at your interview. I think you HAVE to put one service before the others but you can say you are equally willing to serve in the others if yours is full. In that case if your top choice is full they (usually) offer you a spot in your second or third (if still open) before placing you on a waitlist for your first. Due to rolling admissions and your timing, Army shouldn't be full yet or should have just barely filled.

Another benefit of Army over Navy (I don't particularly know for Air Force, sorry) is that the waitlist has historically almost completely been accepted.

II for October 29th!

Reactions: 3 users
anyone interviewing on 15OCT?

Got a question I'd like to pick some brains with... I'm a non-trad applicant-- 32 yr/old, 2.95 undergrad, 3.9 grad (M.S. pending), 31 MCAT, former Army reservist with 8 years in service and 1 combat tour.

Obviously, my grads are a terrible drag, would my age be a problem? Would greatly appreciate any insight.

No your age is not a problem. For traditional recruiting the oldest they take for active duty is typically 32 by entry date. However, military medicine is an entirely different animal and I believe it is 42. Please reference USAREC Regulation 601-37, paragraph 18-3 for age and time in service questions.

No your age is not a problem. For traditional recruiting the oldest they take for active duty is typically 32 by entry date. However, military medicine is an entirely different animal and I believe it is 42. Please reference USAREC Regulation 601-37, paragraph 18-3 for age and time in service questions.
appreciate the reply. I wasn't clear before-- I was wondering whether age is considered when selecting candidates. In other words, whether I stand at a disadvantage compared to a 22-24 yr old.

appreciate the reply. I wasn't clear before-- I was wondering whether age is considered when selecting candidates. In other words, whether I stand at a disadvantage compared to a 22-24 yr old.
It's not considered on it's own, but to a certain extent it's viewed favorably (you have more life experience) and in another unfavorably (you may have been out of school a while, etc.).

They don't view a 22 year old applicant as better or worse than a 30 year old though as long as both meet the standards.

During interviews, do they ask you about health care policies and such?

also do you guys know if they make you write a short essay on the interview day?