2015-2016 Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
also do you guys know if they make you write a short essay on the interview day?

There are no short essays on interview day. Just interviews, briefings and tours.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone who has interviewed have any tips or advice about how to prepare and what to expect?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who has been to USUHS before recommend what time to arrive by in order to ensure a parking space?

Anyone else having trouble contacting Ms. Hamlette to schedule the physical?

Anyone else having trouble contacting Ms. Hamlette to schedule the physical?
Unless they changed it you schedule the physical through a website. You only need to get your social out in the system which takes about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they changed it you schedule the physical through a website. You only need to get your social out in the system which takes about a week.

Thanks!!

Does anyone who has interviewed have any tips or advice about how to prepare and what to expect?

I interviewed on Sep. 10th so I will give my 2 cents:

The interview process at USUHS would be considered a traditional interview. The day begins with a few briefings about the university and military medicine in general, then you typical tour of the campus, meet and greet with current students, etc. The interviews are in the afternoon and are 1-on-1, no panel or group interviews. The best advice I can give you is to BE YOURSELF. Not only are you pitching yourself to become a physician, you are also applying to become an officer in the US military, which carries responsibilities in its own right. In my opinion, they are more about trying to learn who you are as a person. Can you speak with confidence? Are you wishy-washy in your answers? Do you put thought and direction into what you want to say? Are you able to make sound, difficult decisions for the better of your patient or the troops you lead? Do you come off as over-confident or timid? These are things, in my opinion, that the interviewers are trying to gauge. Yeah, they might ask you a controversial question and ask your opinion, but from my experience, they are more concerned with your image and personality.

Reactions: 4 users

The interview process at USUHS would be considered a traditional interview. The day begins with a few briefings about the university and military medicine in general, then you typical tour of the campus, meet and greet with current students, etc. The interviews are in the afternoon and are 1-on-1, no panel or group interviews. The best advice I can give you is to BE YOURSELF. Not only are you pitching yourself to become a physician, you are also applying to become an officer in the US military, which carries responsibilities in its own right. In my opinion, they are more about trying to learn who you are as a person. Can you speak with confidence? Are you wishy-washy in your answers? Do you put thought and direction into what you want to say? Are you able to make sound, difficult decisions for the better of your patient or the troops you lead? Do you come off as over-confident or timid? These are things, in my opinion, that the interviewers are trying to gauge. Yeah, they might ask you a controversial question and ask your opinion, but from my experience, they are more concerned with your image and personality.
I would agree with all of this from last year.

I agree. I interviewed on the 17th and had a great experience. I highly recommend interviewees go to the optional interviewee dinner the night before interview day. It's just interviewees and MS1 and MS2 there. Very informal, good food and drinks. Helped to relax before the big day and gave me a chance to ask lots of questions of current students.

I agree. I interviewed on the 17th and had a great experience. I highly recommend interviewees go to the optional interviewee dinner the night before interview day. It's just interviewees and MS1 and MS2 there. Very informal, good food and drinks. Helped to relax before the big day and gave me a chance to ask lots of questions of current students.

I didn't get any notification about this. Did anybody else that is interviewing October 15th get a night before interview dinner invite? I'm thinking maybe they won't have it because its the week of Bushmaster so all the students will be gone.....

I didn't get any notification about this. Did anybody else that is interviewing October 15th get a night before interview dinner invite?

I'm interviewing the 22nd and I didn't receive a notice about it either. Maybe closer to the date of the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing the 22nd and I didn't receive a notice about it either. Maybe closer to the date of the interview?
Last year, one of the Social Reps emails everyone two days before their interview and invites them to an optional dinner with the USUHS students the night before the interview. There was no RSVP needed. Very informal. One of the interviewees who went last year told me during the interview day that it was lots of fun and there was more one-on-one as there weren't many interviewees who attended.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't get any notification about this. Did anybody else that is interviewing October 15th get a night before interview dinner invite? I'm thinking maybe they won't have it because its the week of Bushmaster so all the students will be gone.....
The main students who are involved in the Bushmaster are MS1s and MS4s, so there will probably be MS2s that week available to talk to.

Do you remember around what time it started? I'm driving to Bethesda the night before and wondering if I should head out earlier in the afternoon

Do you remember around what time it started? I'm driving to Bethesda the night before and wondering if I should head out earlier in the afternoon
I still have the email lol. If you are interested (and they repeat the dinner again) they had it start at 7pm at a Union Jacks in the nearby area. But they may choose a different location or time when they invite you.

For those interviewing, is anyone else having trouble with the SECNAV 5512 form? I have updated my Adobe PDF viewer and tried on both windows and mac and cannot seem to access the form.

For those interviewing, is anyone else having trouble with the SECNAV 5512 form? I have updated my Adobe PDF viewer and tried on both windows and mac and cannot seem to access the form.
If you look at the SECNAV 5512 form instructions on the interview page, it states that you cannot read the form in the internet browser because it is protected. Browsers will have settings that will try to open pdf files through the browser automatically when you click on files. I right clicked the SECNAV 5512 form and clicked "download linked file", which allowed me to download it to adobe reader and complete it there. If you need more help, you can PM me.

If you look at the SECNAV 5512 form instructions on the interview page, it states that you cannot read the form in the internet browser because it is protected. Browsers will have settings that will try to open pdf files through the browser automatically when you click on files. I right clicked the SECNAV 5512 form and clicked "download linked file", which allowed me to download it to adobe reader and complete it there. If you need more help, you can PM me.
Thank you!

Sorry, I should have specified that you shouldn't expect to get the invite to the optional dinner until a couple of days before the interview. I wasn't planning on it (didn't know about it till I was on the plane to DC), but decided to go anyway. Very glad I did!

Received an II this morning via email!!

Received a call from a Maryland number this morning and had hoped it was them calling. Do they ever call?

It's not considered on it's own, but to a certain extent it's viewed favorably (you have more life experience) and in another unfavorably (you may have been out of school a while, etc.).

They don't view a 22 year old applicant as better or worse than a 30 year old though as long as both meet the standards.
I'm 19 and received an II, I don't think age is as much of a factor as competency.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be joining all you Nov 5th interviewees! Can't wait to see campus and visit the DC area!
II this morning; LizzyM ~71-72

I'm wondering if I missed out on an II today. I received an email this morning from my admissions counselor telling me that I forgot to attach my photo when I submitted my photo email, and that I should send that in ASAP.

Glycereine, I'm really rooting for you to get an II. Maybe we'll get one on the next round.

Glycereine, I'm really rooting for you to get an II. Maybe we'll get one on the next round.
Wishing you luck as well. I'll admit it's disheartening. I strengthened my app from last year and I interviewed October 23rd last year. So I'm not sure what's up.

Maybe just a different committee with a different way of doing things. I sent in a nice personal and professional update a week and a half ago hoping they would take more notice, maybe you could try the same!

Wow congrats to all the IIs. I have to guess I did something wrong on the secondary this year. Hopefully they look past it and can still get an II however late that is.

Wow congrats to all the IIs. I have to guess I did something wrong on the secondary this year. Hopefully they look past it and can still get an II however late that is.

I think our time is coming!

Yeah, I'm getting excited...that last LizzyM score is right up my alley. I'm going to be waiting with bated breath for the next two weeks.

Anyone know roughly what percent of interviewed students this school accepts?

Anyone know roughly what percent of interviewed students this school accepts?
Essentially all are accepted or wait listed unless something odd happens. It's a very high percentage with an early interview which shifts to wait lists later in the cycle.

Wait, so you're saying that there are basically no rejections post-interview and that the interview is just a formality? Everyone getting interviews is (if they chose the right branch) going to be accepted to the school? There is no way that is right since I'm sure there are a lot of people that look good on paper but not great in real life and vice-versa. I think more likely is that if they don't like you, even early on, they will wait list you for a last minute review at the end of acceptances. MSAR puts the stats at 518 interviews and 152 matriculates for OOS students.

Wait, so you're saying that there are basically no rejections post-interview and that the interview is just a formality? Everyone getting interviews is (if they chose the right branch) going to be accepted to the school? There is no way that is right since I'm sure there are a lot of people that look good on paper but not great in real life and vice-versa. I think more likely is that if they don't like you, even early on, they will wait list you for a last minute review at the end of acceptances. MSAR puts the stats at 518 interviews and 152 matriculates for OOS students.
That is sort of what I'm saying. They do most of their screening before the interview process.

Also keep in mind there aren't any OOS or IS for USUHS really. Also of 152 matriculants there are 2-5 times that accepted for any given school. Easily comes out to being the majority of the 518 interviews. It's not a guarantee but getting to the interview skyrockets your chances at USU.

Also their waitlist is a little different than at other schools because most schools (all?) over accept. USUHS by law cannot, so at different points in history they have gone through all or the majority of the list for some branches.

Also their waitlist is a little different than at other schools because most schools (all?) over accept. USUHS by law cannot, so at different points in history they have gone through all or the majority of the list for some branches.

Through speaking with recent students, in the last five years, the army has cleared the waitlist completely. So congrats on the II again!! Haha hope mine comes soon

No worries. I've gotten a few messages though in my inbox so I think I may have made an unclear statement somewhere.

Nice lol. Still no interviews for me yet :( starting to bug out.