2015-2016 Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I believe I was told by someone at USUHS that they give out approximately 250 offers every year, with only 170 seats available. Not trying to get everyone's hopes up who interviewed but I believe its about 40% or so that get offered an acceptance out of the interviewee pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
After I sent an email regarding my application status, I also received the "Admissions Committee is favorably disposed to you through the information that you have provided us. The Committee would like to see more of the applying class before making a final decision on whether to offer you an Interview" email. I saw that another person received this same email earlier in the cycle so I was wondering if this is something that USUHS just sends out to make us feel better or is there a chance of us receiving an interview?

After I sent an email regarding my application status, I also received the "Admissions Committee is favorably disposed to you through the information that you have provided us. The Committee would like to see more of the applying class before making a final decision on whether to offer you an Interview" email. I saw that another person received this same email earlier in the cycle so I was wondering if this is something that USUHS just sends out to make us feel better or is there a chance of us receiving an interview?
I was one of those that received this. I believe if there wasn't a chance we would have been outright rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
I also got this message and was offered an interview about a week later.

I was one of those that received this. I believe if there wasn't a chance we would have been outright rejected.

That makes me nervous to ask about an update. I've been complete since 08/20 so I think I'll let it be for a bit longer.

I have an interview on the first, and I'm thinking about taking the metro from ronald reagan airport. the school website says " take the yellow line to Gallery Place, transfer to the Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove, and get off at the Medical Center station". is this true? or is there a better transportation method you guys recommend?

I have an interview on the first, and I'm thinking about taking the metro from ronald reagan airport. the school website says " take the yellow line to Gallery Place, transfer to the Red Line in the direction of Shady Grove, and get off at the Medical Center station". is this true? or is there a better transportation method you guys recommend?
That's 100% accurate. Leave yourself a little extra time. It can be crowded especially in the morning and after work hours.

I believe I was told by someone at USUHS that they give out approximately 250 offers every year, with only 170 seats available. Not trying to get everyone's hopes up who interviewed but I believe its about 40% or so that get offered an acceptance out of the interviewee pool.
The profile of Class 2018 (from a handout provided at the interview):
"Each year, the Admissions Committee interviews between 575-600 applicants and tenders approximately 250 offers to matriculate 171 students (appx. 63 Army, 52 Navy, 52 Air Force, and 4 PHS) in the fall."

Just received an II for November 12th. Civilian re-applicant, waitlisted last year. Hoping an earlier interview date this time around gets me an offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received an II for November 12th. Civilian re-applicant, waitlisted last year. Hoping an earlier interview date this time around gets me an offer.
Congrats! When did you interview last year? Also, mind sharing your stats?

Got an II this morning for November 12th!

Would it look bad if I wore a store bought suit instead of my military uniform. I got the new Army formal uniform (don't remember what they are called) right when I was getting out, so I never put it together. I don't want to try to put everything on it myself and mess it up.

Would it look bad if I wore a store bought suit instead of my military uniform. I got the new Army formal uniform (don't remember what they are called) right when I was getting out, so I never put it together. I don't want to try to put everything on it myself and mess it up.
If you aren't in right now I don't think you'd need to wear a uniform. If you are active duty I definitely would.

Congrats on the interviews!! Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but for the dodmerb physical, do we need to be at the height/weight regulations??

Congrats on the interviews!! Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but for the dodmerb physical, do we need to be at the height/weight regulations??
Ah! This was the bane of my existence last year.

YES you do. My examiner specifically told me that it didn't matter, I asked to weigh in without my work boots on (came in uniform) and they said it didn't matter. If you are over, you have to do a separate trip to a recruiting command to get taped and measured and then send that in. I am active duty so am always in standards anyways. It was very frustrating to have to go get taped and the guy who taped me even laughed about it.

So if you are close, just make the weight and, make sure you don't weigh in with your boots on ;).

Reactions: 1 users

YES you do. My examiner specifically told me that it didn't matter, I asked to weigh in without my work boots on (came in uniform) and they said it didn't matter. If you are over, you have to do a separate trip to a recruiting command to get taped and measured and then send that in. I am active duty so am always in standards anyways. It was very frustrating to have to go get taped and the guy who taped me even laughed about it.

So if you are close, just make the weight and, make sure you don't weigh in with your boots on ;).
my god, those boots are like cinderblocks.. unless you've got them fancy oakleys or some such similars..

Dammit. I'm most likely gonna have to get taped out. I'm 6'2", 215 lbs, and lean. Fingers crossed for making the AF requirements

Do we run during the dodmerb? Because good grief I'm going to be in trouble if that's the case.

Do we run during the dodmerb? Because good grief I'm going to be in trouble if that's the case.
Haha no you don't :). However I'd recommend working on that now so you don't have such a hard time during the initial training. Having good workout habits before joining the military makes a HUGE difference.

Haha no you don't :). However I'd recommend working on that now so you don't have such a hard time during the initial training. Having good workout habits before joining the military makes a HUGE difference.
I'm very active, just need to get in running shape. I used to do triathlons so it shouldn't be difficult. Thanks :)

is it recommended that we send thank you emails to our interviewers? If so, how early?

Are we going to get something in the mail before starting the DoDMETS thing online?

Are we going to get something in the mail before starting the DoDMETS thing online?
No-- i didn't, at least.

They told me to allow 10 days for the website to be ready for me; I waited about 3 days before attemping to sign onto dodmets.com and was successful.

No-- i didn't, at least.

They told me to allow 10 days for the website to be ready for me; I waited about 3 days before attemping to sign onto dodmets.com and was successful.
You do get a DODmets packet in the mail but it just has some basic information and what to do if you don't have internet access. You can complete everything without regard to that packet.

Hey guys!
I just had my physical and have a few questions. I noticed on the forms that it said something about taking a urine sample but they never did that at my physical. Did anyone else do/not do this? Also, my weight is down right around the standard for my height but they weighed me with all of my clothes and shoes on so I was over. What will I have to do about that?
Thanks!!

Hey guys!
I just had my physical and have a few questions. I noticed on the forms that it said something about taking a urine sample but they never did that at my physical. Did anyone else do/not do this? Also, my weight is down right around the standard for my height but they weighed me with all of my clothes and shoes on so I was over. What will I have to do about that?
Thanks!!
Exactly what happened to me. I had to go back for a urine sample and had to go get taped at a recruiting depot because of the weight. You'll get that guidance though from DoDmets

Last edited:
Exactly what happened to me. I had to go back for a urine sample and had to go get raped at a recruiting depot because of the weight. You'll get that guidance though from DoDmets

I also didn't provide urine sample, but I'm currently marked "qualified" on dodmerb site. Same happened to you?

any beta on how long it takes via public transit to and from Reagan to USUHS?

any beta on how long it takes via public transit to and from Reagan to USUHS?

At least an hour to an hour and a half on a good day. I would budget much more time than that though. Just in case.

Take the Metro.

Blue Line towards Largo Town Center.

TRANSFER at Metro Center on the Red Line towards Shady Grove

EXIT at Medical Center

I also didn't provide urine sample, but I'm currently marked "qualified" on dodmerb site. Same happened to you?
If you're marked qualified I wouldn't worry about it. Mine was last year not this year also for the record. I haven't gotten an II this year.

Any idea what might be different about your application this year?
Wish I knew. I have a higher GPA and more activities as well as some new LORs. Haven't gotten any feedback when I've asked. It's getting late so my chances aren't looking great anymore.

Wish I knew. I have a higher GPA and more activities as well as some new LORs. Haven't gotten any feedback when I've asked. It's getting late so my chances aren't looking great anymore.

Sure your Navy and as others have said, Navy fills up quickly...but I really don't see anything wrong with being extended an interview this month (if you get one). Can you not just sign on another branch? December and January are perfectly normal periods for people to interview for med school.

i sincerely do hope you get that interview. this all seems to make less sense the deeper you go.

Sure your Navy and as others have said, Navy fills up quickly...but I really don't see anything wrong with being extended an interview this month (if you get one). Can you not just sign on another branch? December and January are perfectly normal periods for people to interview for med school.
I cannot do any other branch. It's the way the contingent resignation process works. And December and January are relatively late anywhere, but more so at a place with rolling admissions like USUHS. I would be ecstatic to get an interview still, but since I was complete in July I am having a hard time being optimistic right now. Only following the thread closely to help answer questions anyone has.

On the security clearance form, are we SSBI applicants or regular?
I don't remember that part. Any chance you can screen shot it? They may have finally updated the form, it was really out of date.

I don't remember that part. Any chance you can screen shot it? They may have finally updated the form, it was really out of date.

Attachments

• ssbi.PNG
    ssbi.PNG
    23.8 KB · Views: 42
Ah, you're regular, SSBI is for higher level clearances. They won't do that investigation. If you want to double check though, call admissions.

Ah, you're regular, SSBI is for higher level clearances. They won't do that investigation. If you want to double check though, call admissions.

Ahh.. thanks so much. I don't remember ever filling out so much information the last time i had a secret clearance...

I tried calling today and got voicemail. Difficult with a job and being on the west coast. Still need to find out if i'm all set for base access. They apparently lost my student host form.

Ahh.. thanks so much. I don't remember ever filling out so much information the last time i had a secret clearance...

I tried calling today and got voicemail. Difficult with a job and being on the west coast. Still need to find out if i'm all set for base access. They apparently lost my student host form.
Yeah the version that the military actually uses for clearances has been streamlined significantly, but the SF-86 there does get all the pertinent information. I'm surprised they don't do it on a website though. Probably data-breach, security issues with that.