2015-2016 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Double continued

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be curious to see if any continued candidates received an admission offer this time

Same, same, same. At least they made it clear in the subject it wasn't an acceptance.

The email convinces me that our applications are indeed still under active review, which I appreciate. Perhaps as the cycle goes on and the number of clear cut acceptances dwindles the committee will start to look at continued candidates?

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know if II's are still going out? Been complete since early August, and still have the same Your application is complete and under consideration message

@lalarubies, right there with ya in the waiting line. Do you think we are on a phantom hold list? Haven't seen anyone report being on hold.

The email convinces me that our applications are indeed still under active review, which I appreciate. Perhaps as the cycle goes on and the number of clear cut acceptances dwindles the committee will start to look at continued candidates?

I like your optimism and the way you think

@lalarubies, right there with ya in the waiting line. Do you think we are on a phantom hold list? Haven't seen anyone report being on hold.
Some people reported last month that their status was changed to "Application Held for Later Review." so there is an official "oh hold" list. I do think we are on a phantom hold list or just were lost

Continued a second time too. It's going to be a long wait until February!

Some people reported last month that their status was changed to "Application Held for Later Review." so there is an official "oh hold" list. I do think we are on a phantom hold list or just were lost

I see. Thanks for clarifying. At any rate we shall find out sooner rather than later i.e., whether they'll be ripping the band-aid off, or giving us a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was continued back in October (interviewed end of August) and received an acceptance today.
The amount of hope this gave me as an end of August interviewer who has been continued twice is real

Reactions: 4 users
I'd be curious to see if any continued candidates received an admission offer this time

I was continued back in October (interviewed end of August) and received an acceptance today.

I was on that same boat with @theboatman.

To those that got the call this morning where you told of the Scholarship on the call? I wasn't and hence the question.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations to the accepted applicants!

I was excited to hear some news on Monday, and surprised to hear back from them this afternoon ... by email :dead:. I wish their decision was different, but at least they did it when we weren't expecting it (kind of like how a doctor/nurse distracts a kid before giving them a shot). Best of luck to my continued peers, recent interviewees, and II candidates!

Cngrats to everyone that heard back and im excited to meet some of you during second look!

Accepted with full-tuition scholarship!!!!!! Life is unreal right now. Nearly started crying when I got the news.

Reactions: 11 users
I was on that same boat with @theboatman.

To those that got the call this morning where you told of the Scholarship on the call? I wasn't and hence the question.
Those of you that got accepted off a continued status in October, did y'all have significant updates that you sent?

Reactions: 5 users
Was there any mention of putting down a deposit for the acceptance or do they not do that because they're ballin? Didn't see it anywhere in the email.

Was there any mention of putting down a deposit for the acceptance or do they not do that because they're ballin? Didn't see it anywhere in the email.
They decided to do away with this after reaching ballin' status lol. Dr. Montag said they don't have deposits anymore because it didn't really alter applicants' behaviors to any appreciable degree.

They decided to do away with this after reaching ballin' status lol. Dr. Montag said they don't have deposits anymore because it didn't really alter applicants' behaviors to any appreciable degree.

You are a scholar and a certified thug. Thank you.

Has any of the Accepted students seen their Portal updated as yet?

Last edited:
My first rejection! (not because I am raking in acceptances)... I wish I knew why!? Complete in early August. GL to everyone.

how annoying/expensive is it to get from o'hare to uchicago?
You can get there cheaply via public transit but it'll probably take you an hour and a half and a couple changes. Can't speak to Uber/taxi fares, but I imagine it's fairly expensive since O'Hare is pretty far from UChicago. If there's any way you can fly into Midway, there's a bus that goes directly to campus.

You can get there cheaply via public transit but it'll probably take you an hour and a half and a couple changes. Can't speak to Uber/taxi fares, but I imagine it's fairly expensive since O'Hare is pretty far from UChicago. If there's any way you can fly into Midway, there's a bus that goes directly to campus.

midway flight availability leaves a little to be desired from my nearest airport. plugging ohare and uchicago into my uber app says it's a $50 ride but wanted to get a gauge on how accurate that it/how long would the drive be? two $50 uber rides will still be cheaper than a midway flight ...

how annoying/expensive is it to get from o'hare to uchicago?
It'll be about $6 if you take the L. You'd only have to change trains once. It'll be a little over an hour, if you don't mind the travel time. The ventra card is good for 3 hours too, so it's not a bad travel option.

midway flight availability leaves a little to be desired from my nearest airport. plugging ohare and uchicago into my uber app says it's a $50 ride but wanted to get a gauge on how accurate that it/how long would the drive be? two $50 uber rides will still be cheaper than a midway flight ...
Just FYI Southwest flies into Midway and is pretty inexpensive. Their flights don't show up on Google flights and other online booking agents so I thought I'd let you know just in case.

Just FYI Southwest flies into Midway and is pretty inexpensive. Their flights don't show up on Google flights and other online booking agents so I thought I'd let you know just in case.
And you can change/cancel flights with no fee. The best for these things.

How long after the Acceptance call before you go your Scrub top?

@shoopshoop : I definitely agree with the advice above about trying to fly Southwest into Midway or at least taking the train in from O'Hare, but if you must take an Uber or taxi from O'Hare, please don't forget to allow extra travel time for traffic. In the interview invitation email, they suggest planning on a minimum of two hours to get back to the airport at the end of your interview day, and this is not an exaggeration.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but 1/2 metro, 1/2 uber worked out pretty well for me. I took the blue line from O'Hare to downtown, then Uber from downtown to UChicago area. Very easy, and not nearly as expensive as Uber/taxi the entire way.

How long after the Acceptance call before you go your Scrub top?
A couple weeks, probably. They have a current student write you a nice handwritten card :)

Mine has not updated yet.

Portal has updated to ACCEPTED!!
upload_2015-12-23_15-20-38.png

Reactions: 7 users
are there any additional confirmation steps after getting the acceptance email?

you'll get a printed acceptance letter in the mail (in a few weeks?) with a form that you need to sign and mail back!!! they ask for you to send it in within 2 weeks, I think. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@shoopshoop : I definitely agree with the advice above about trying to fly Southwest into Midway or at least taking the train in from O'Hare, but if you must take an Uber or taxi from O'Hare, please don't forget to allow extra travel time for traffic. In the interview invitation email, they suggest planning on a minimum of two hours to get back to the airport at the end of your interview day, and this is not an exaggeration.

thanks everybody! the o'hare flights were so much cheaper, i think even a taxi both ways evens it out and i've left three hours to get to o'hare! splitting it into train/taxi is a great idea - would it take approx the same amount of time?