2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also waitlisted. Might end up withdrawing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted.... so sad it was not an acceptance....

Does someone have statistics for acceptance off waitlist??

If you aren't planning on attending here, please let admissions know to help us people waiting...

If anyone is still wondering (as i was until recently) on what and where to get all these codes, here is a breakdown of what I found out:
  1. Send transcripts by July 1st.
  2. Get 10-panel drug screen by August 9th. The code for this is UG31dm (I believe this is only for Chicago folks).
  3. Vaccinations and all of that by July 1st. The code for this is UG31. If you have any shots that are ongoing or need to be taken then just show proof that you are doing so.
  4. Chicago folks should be registered for the orientation on blackboard right now.
For all the code stuff, go to certified profile website and just make an account. After that login and click on the place order and order using the above stated codes as per your requirements. The vaccination code should cost $30 and no more and the 10-panel drug screen should be $0 (yay!).

Please add anything that I am missing or misstating here.

PS: start finding a place to live as well since Chicago is tiring when it comes to finding a good place.
Where did you get those dates? I am on the UPR track and they say that immunizations need to be completed by orientation.

Members don't see this ad :)
No change in my portal
Considering most changes in the portal have led to waitlist I'm super worried now

No change in my portal
Considering most changes in the portal have led to waitlist I'm super worried now
Well, maybe that's a good thing then. Maybe they haven't updated the portal for people who've been accepted!

Reactions: 1 user
I've been waitlisted to the 2nd quartile. The letter said chances of being accepted from the first 2 quartiles are more "reasonable," but I'm not hopeful

Do we have any solid stats on how many have been accepted from the waitlist in previous years, and what the timeframe was for doing so?

I have no stats on this, but I've read through the last 3 years' threads and it seems the stats can vary greatly each year. If other schools have lots of movement from their waitlists, UICOM will probably also get lots of opened seats. So this begs the question: do you guys know if other schools are getting lots of movement off their waitlists?

Regarding timeframe, it looked like people that were accepted off the waitlist began hearing back in early June, and most would hear back by mid-late July. Getting in at the last possible moment isn't out of the question, though.

One thing for us to keep in mind is sampling: I feel like people that get rejected are unlikely to post about it here. Unless we get some insider knowledge, I don't think we can accurately estimate acceptance rates off the waitlist.

Last edited:
"Decision pending" at this point (when waitlists come out) might mean accept/reject snail mail.

Also, it looks like there was a case last year where someone got accepted off of "decision pending" when waitlisted people started to get accepted.

Last edited:
Interviewed Sept 14, IS. Placed in the fourth quarter LMAOOOOO. This school by far has been the most frustrating to deal with (from the 3 behavioral science prerequisites required to my interviewer looking at the wrong candidate's file and compromising the notes he took during my interview to calling admissions and them telling me very clearly that a decision was made when it was not, etc.) and honestly at this point I don't know if I would want to come here even if I was accepted.

I'm sorry @bananafish94 that I didn't get accepted because you know I would have withdrawn in hopes that it would go to you.

Aaand with that I have finally heard back from all my interviewed schools; I'll definitely be withdrawing from the alternate list (too bad I can't stick them in 'Decision Pending' lol)--East Coast here I come! :D

Reactions: 3 users
I was scrolling through last years thread like a crazy lady last week, and it looks like a good amount of people got pulled from first AND second quartiles. Here's to hoping!

Although I am still a little frustrated, seeing as we probably all will still need to complete our AMCAS's and make plans for next year :|
I look forward to paying another $1000 in application fees! +pity+

@rukia013 , you'd been decision pending since September? That's absurd!
Yup, if there's anyone allowed to be frustrated with this cycle, it's definitely me LOL. I'm just really thankful to have been accepted to one of my top choices so this decision didn't really affect me, I'm just amused with how ridiculous this process was from start to finish xD

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, if there's anyone allowed to be frustrated with this cycle, it's definitely me LOL. I'm just really thankful to have been accepted to one of my top choices so this decision didn't really affect me, I'm just amused with how ridiculous this process was from start to finish xD
Ahhh gotcha. Yeah I'm UIC-or-bust, and there's no way I'm doing the UPR track, so AMCAS 2017 it is!

My mom just told me that the letter says I'm 2nd quartile.
Strange how I could be accepted into an OOS public school so early in the cycle, and then not even be close to the top of the waitlist for my own state school that accepts 70% of IS interviewees. Nothing makes any sense haha.

Edit: Lol when I told my mom I might withdraw, she was like "No, don't! What if Cincinnati burns down or gets destroyed by a tornado??"

Just got this portal update, not sure how to interpret it:
Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 5.28.35 PM.png

Reactions: 12 users
decision pending since October............4th quartile got me like:

upload_2016-5-25_18-37-34.png

Reactions: 5 users
Not a fan of their admissions office by a long shot, but I am glad that they give us the quartiles so we know if it's a waitlist or polite rejection.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Not a fan of their admissions office by a long shot, but I am glad that they give us the quartiles so we know if it's a waitlist or polite rejection.

Have you gotten your letter yet?! I feel like I'm almost as anxious as you to find out....

Interviewed Sept 14, IS. Placed in the fourth quarter LMAOOOOO. This school by far has been the most frustrating to deal with (from the 3 behavioral science prerequisites required to my interviewer looking at the wrong candidate's file and compromising the notes he took during my interview to calling admissions and them telling me very clearly that a decision was made when it was not, etc.) and honestly at this point I don't know if I would want to come here even if I was accepted.
I'm right there with you. Interviewed in December and heard nothing for months and placed in the 4th quartile... Even after high praise from 2 interviewers saying I would be an excellent fit for UIC. However, my downfall may have been telling them that I could only be in Chicago due to personal reasons.

I interviewed at 7 schools (9 II) and this one was by far the least organized and transparent.

Very glad I can come one step closer to finally knowing where I'm going next year. To all of you neurotic people reading this for next years cycle... remember that the UIC admissions process is a ****-show. The people on the phone know nothing, the portal shows nothing, and we all know nothing.;)

I'm right there with you. Interviewed in December and heard nothing for months and placed in the 4th quartile... Even after high praise from 2 interviewers saying I would be an excellent fit for UIC. However, my downfall may have been telling them that I could only be in Chicago due to personal reasons.

I interviewed at 7 schools (9 II) and this one was by far the least organized and transparent.

Very glad I can come one step closer to finally knowing where I'm going next year. To all of you neurotic people reading this for next years cycle... remember that the UIC admissions process is a ****-show. The people on the phone know nothing, the portal shows nothing, and we all know nothing.;)

It makes me feel better that such an excellent applicant is also on the waitlist!

Also waitlisted. Might end up withdrawing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

Why? Might as well play it out and see what happens. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I'm sorry @bananafish94 that I didn't get accepted because you know I would have withdrawn in hopes that it would go to you.

Aaand with that I have finally heard back from all my interviewed schools; I'll definitely be withdrawing from the alternate list (too bad I can't stick them in 'Decision Pending' lol)--East Coast here I come! :D

Yep. This was why I withdrew. I have had heard too many instances such as this from my peers, older friends, etc from this administration.

Just got this portal update, not sure how to interpret it:
View attachment 204256

I have not. However, I just checked and received the following portal update:
View attachment 204267
Ok I honestly can't tell anymore banana...

I think they need to up the capacity at Chicago, or shift things around a bit...considering that their AMCAS title is "University of Illinois at CHICAGO", I think it's a bit of a bait and switch to be like "lol sorry you wanted Chicago but Rockford is just as good we promise, it's such a happening place"

Reactions: 1 users
I think they need to up the capacity at Chicago, or shift things around a bit...considering that their AMCAS title is "University of Illinois at CHICAGO", I think it's a bit of a bait and switch to be like "lol sorry you wanted Chicago but Rockford is just as good we promise, it's such a happening place"
Hahaha no matter how they put it, it's not. It's not BAD, but it's not for the people who would like to be in CHicago but got placed in Rockford. Not even comparable.

Last edited:

UIC is already one of the largest schools in the country; if anything, they should increase capacity at the other sites to make it equal to Chicago. And the official title of the school is "University of Illinois College of Medicine". Anyone who applies to the school thinking they'll get into the Chicago site hasn't done their research. Illinois residents should feel lucky to even have access to a public medical school of this size.

How many people are in each quartile?

No clue. I was planning to call admissions and ask a few general questions, including the size of each quartile, but they told me they aren't answering questions again until tomorrow.

MSAR says UICOM gives 60-80 waitlists each year, so I would guess 15-20 people each quartile. MSAR does not say how many people are accepted from the waitlist on average.

UIC is already one of the largest schools in the country; if anything, they should increase capacity at the other sites to make it equal to Chicago. And the official title of the school is "University of Illinois College of Medicine". Anyone who applies to the school thinking they'll get into the Chicago site hasn't done their research. Illinois residents should feel lucky to even have access to a public medical school of this size.
I did my research, and came to the conclusion that, being a city boy with no car and no license and a desire to work in urban emergency medicine, Chicago is the only campus that'll work for me. I wish there were a way to express site preferences during the application process, as it'd save everyone time. It's great that UIC has the UPR sites, and especially that there are the rural med programs, but they're not for everyone.

I did my research, and came to the conclusion that, being a city boy with no car and no license and a desire to work in urban emergency medicine, Chicago is the only campus that'll work for me. I wish there were a way to express site preferences during the application process, as it'd save everyone time. It's great that UIC has the UPR sites, and especially that there are the rural med programs, but they're not for everyone.
Then maybe you should have applied to UMED. Unfortunately, med schools aren't like Chipotle burritos; you don't get to customize it however you want. Ultimately, the purpose of the school is to produce physicians that will serve the state of Illinois in the best possible way, and this is what they've done. When you consider that 1/5 IL doctors has a UIC med school education, you see that they've actually done a pretty good job at achieving this goal. They don't exist to serve us, the applicants. They exist to serve the people of Illinois.

If UIC wants to open up a branch in Kwigillingok, Alaska I will gladly attend. I really don't care where they place me so long as they accept me!

Reactions: 3 users

I'm not arguing which campus is better. In fact, I wouldn't go to UIC if I wasn't at the Chicago campus personally. But the size of the Chicago class alone is comparable to other medical schools so there's no reason they should increase it. If someone wants to get placed into Chicago, they know what they need to do to maximize those chances: apply early, interview early and well, and have a good application/qualifications

I'm not arguing which campus is better. In fact, I wouldn't go to UIC if I wasn't at the Chicago campus personally. But the size of the Chicago class alone is comparable to other medical schools so there's no reason they should increase it. If someone wants to get placed into Chicago, they know what they need to do to maximize those chances: apply early, interview early and well, and have a good application/qualifications
Fair enough. Yeah I had a hectic summer last year, so even though my portfolio is strong, submitting in August probably didn't help.

Then maybe you should have applied to UMED. Unfortunately, med schools aren't like Chipotle burritos; you don't get to customize it however you want. Ultimately, the purpose of the school is to produce physicians that will serve the state of Illinois in the best possible way, and this is what they've done. When you consider that 1/5 IL doctors has a UIC med school education, you see that they've actually done a pretty good job at achieving this goal. They don't exist to serve us, the applicants. They exist to serve the people of Illinois.
Of course they don't. But just because he wants to stay in Chicago doesn't mean he has to apply to a program he may not have interest in? That just comes off as unusually dismissive of his situation.

Yep. This was why I withdrew. I have had heard too many instances such as this from my peers, older friends, etc from this administration.
I told my parents I was gonna withdraw and they told me to just ride it out "because you never know!" even though I would not come here over my current acceptance. They're like "well what if the other school accidentally sent you the acceptance and later this summer they'll rescind on their offer?" They're telling me that I need to stop burning my bridges...even if I don't ever plan to cross them :rolleyes:

On the plus side, if it turns into an acceptance I'll give it to @bananafish94

I told my parents I was gonna withdraw and they told me to just ride it out "because you never know!" even though I would not come here over my current acceptance. They're like "well what if the other school accidentally sent you the acceptance and later this summer they'll rescind on their offer?" They're telling me that I need to stop burning my bridges...even if I don't ever plan to cross them :rolleyes:

On the plus side, if it turns into an acceptance I'll give it to @bananafish94
From a game theory perspective it makes no sense for somebody to withdraw their application. Hopefully all of us will get in off the waitlist.

From a game theory perspective it makes no sense for somebody to withdraw their application. Hopefully all of us will get in off the waitlist.
Well I would withdraw out of courtesy for others who want to go here in order to help the process along--at this point adcoms are looking for fill their seats for good so if I have no intention of going even if granted an offer, it is better that I withdraw. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you and I really hope you get an acceptance!! #TeamBananafish2k16

Well I would withdraw out of courtesy for others who want to go here in order to help the process along--at this point adcoms are looking for fill their seats for good so if I have no intention of going even if granted an offer, it is better that I withdraw. I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you and I really hope you get an acceptance!! #TeamBananafish2k16
You are a good person!

I mean, for the record, if I get off of a waitlist I am going to withdraw my application everywhere else. But that's just my personal philosophy--it's not logical.

I mean, for the record, if I get off of a waitlist I am going to withdraw my application everywhere else. But that's just my personal philosophy--it's not logical.
I want to withdraw my application from places that I would not consider over my current acceptance but my parents are so scared that my acceptance was a fluke ("what if it's like one of those accidental mass acceptance emails and they didn't mean to pull you off the waitlist?!") so they want me to stay on said waitlists as a safeguard lol

If we're being honest, I'm holding onto my first quartile waitlist spot so when people ask me "Why did you choose your school?", my answer isn't "They were the only one to accept me."

There's also the highly unlikely possibility of a large scholarship.

Last edited: