Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Thanks, you too! Do good at Illinois.Just stalked your profile and scrolled down for miles on your Recent Activity tab because I HAD TO WITNESS THAT POST. Congratulations!
I'll be sending good vibes from down the street!Thanks, you too! Do good at Illinois.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any movement yet? Or all quiet on the eastern front
Quiet by me. Hoping every second of the day though....
I really don't understand them because from a strategic point of view this makes no sense at all. If they want desirable people to come to the school, why make them wait? It's June 3rd and nobody's been accepted off the waitlist. The longer they make people wait, the more people are going to be ensconced in other schools and the more likely it is that they'll say no to UIC.
Does anyone know if other schools are getting more/less waitlist movement than usual?
I think we've well established that the admissions office does not follow principals of strategy or common sense...I really don't understand them because from a strategic point of view this makes no sense at all. If they want desirable people to come to the school, why make them wait? It's June 3rd and nobody's been accepted off the waitlist. The longer they make people wait, the more people are going to be ensconced in other schools and the more likely it is that they'll say no to UIC.
It's possible the class is full (for the time being).I really don't understand them because from a strategic point of view this makes no sense at all. If they want desirable people to come to the school, why make them wait? It's June 3rd and nobody's been accepted off the waitlist. The longer they make people wait, the more people are going to be ensconced in other schools and the more likely it is that they'll say no to UIC.
Maybe nobody is withdrawing?I really don't understand them because from a strategic point of view this makes no sense at all. If they want desirable people to come to the school, why make them wait? It's June 3rd and nobody's been accepted off the waitlist. The longer they make people wait, the more people are going to be ensconced in other schools and the more likely it is that they'll say no to UIC.
Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile
It's possible the class is full (for the time being).
Perhaps so...it just seems like in past years they've accepted a healthy amount of people off the waitlist. Maybe this year is different!
I should tell them my decision to remain on the waitlist is "pending"Finally got around to sending my withdrawal from the alternate list...I was very tempted to start the email with "After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that..." 😛
Best of luck to those hoping to get off the waitlist!
Was placed in first quartile of the waitlist, but will be withdrawing - hope you guys on the waitlist get a spot! I've started to make other commitments in New York...would have been reasonable had I heard early May and had some time to make a decision/plan. Although I HAVE heard of people moving the week before classes start. Good luck to you all!
I decided to revise for funsies 😛:Finally got around to sending my withdrawal from the alternate list...I was very tempted to start the email with "After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that..." 😛
Best of luck to those hoping to get off the waitlist!
"After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that it is not possible to accept your offer to place me on the alternate list. This year I received more waitlist offers than positions available for acceptance so many qualified schools were turned down. Rest assured that you were given a thorough review and that this decision does not reflect your qualifications as a medical school. I wish you the best of luck in your future incoming class."
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should offer for them to participate in a qualifying post-bacc program or MPH to improve their chances of accepting you or others next year. Or maybe offer them some training in organizational management for a small fee...I decided to revise for funsies 😛:
"After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that it is not possible to accept your offer to place me on the alternate list. This year I received more waitlist offers than positions available for acceptance so many qualified schools were turned down. Rest assured that you were given a thorough review and that this decision does not reflect your qualifications as a medical school. I wish you the best of luck in your future incoming class."
We don't need any sort of physical... right?
Depends on the school. For one of my waitlisted schools they needed a signed copy of an annual physical/check up with your primary care physician. Other schools may have some sort of basic fitness/competency test during orientation.We don't need any sort of physical... right?
Nope. Just the immunisation stuff.We don't need any sort of physical... right?
Anyone else with latent TB here? My clear chest x-ray just got rejected by Certified Background because I haven't gotten a BCG vaccine.
Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile
Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile
I called admissions today, and they said they haven't had any waitlist movement because their seats are still full. Seeing as UICOM started having waitlist movement around this time in previous years, I don't think this bodes well for us on the waitlist.
I called admissions today, and they said they haven't had any waitlist movement because their seats are still full. Seeing as UICOM started having waitlist movement around this time in previous years, I don't think this bodes well for us on the waitlist.
Oh boy, I wish it would move. I'm starting to make commitments out of state and getting settled over there. I thought we would have heard something by now, but I'm not sure how much longer I feel comfortable waiting anymore. :/
Glad I've submitted AMCAS 2017, then...I called admissions today, and they said they haven't had any waitlist movement because their seats are still full. Seeing as UICOM started having waitlist movement around this time in previous years, I don't think this bodes well for us on the waitlist.
Anyone else with latent TB here? My clear chest x-ray just got rejected by Certified Background because I haven't gotten a BCG vaccine.
Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile
Hey.
I worked as a dietary aide as a teenager and had a false positive for TB. They drew blood to double check and Mtb was absent. Have you had blood drawn or just a PPD?
Yes I actually have TB. The Urbana requirements only need a clear chest x-ray to show that it is not active. CB wants me to get a BCG vaccine, which is only done in Asian and African countries where TB is common. In the US we use INH therapy (daily drugs for 9 months) to lower the chance of reactivation by an order of magnitude.Hey.
I worked as a dietary aide as a teenager and had a false positive for TB. They drew blood to double check and Mtb was absent. Have you had blood drawn or just a PPD?
Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile
That sucks Jih.
Contact Norah Few. I'm sure she can help/clear you.
Contact Norah Few. I'm sure she can help/clear you.
I have been, and she just manually cleared me. Now for my hep b...That sucks Jih.
Contact Norah Few. I'm sure she can help/clear you.
Glad you got it sorted out!
Wait list folks: still no movement?
No movement here... (tears).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dr Girotti just sent out an email saying that our class is currently oversubscribed, and that they're offering the opportunity to defer your entry to start in 2017, with the promise that if you do defer, you're guaranteed your first choice campus.
I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.
I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.
Dr Girotti just sent out an email saying that our class is currently oversubscribed, and that they're offering the opportunity to defer your entry to start in 2017, with the promise that if you do defer, you're guaranteed your first choice campus.
I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.
When did you get this email? I don't think I received it.
Got it at about 2:30pm today.When did you get this email? I don't think I received it.
I didn't receive it either. Are you at Chicago?Got it at about 2:30pm today.
Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile
Dr Girotti just sent out an email saying that our class is currently oversubscribed, and that they're offering the opportunity to defer your entry to start in 2017, with the promise that if you do defer, you're guaranteed your first choice campus.
I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.
aww 🙁 thank you for letting us know.
I also got the email. I'm at Chicago. I'd consider it if they offered some sort of financial incentive.
Nope, UPR.
That is very strange that only a few people got it.Nope, UPR.
Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile
That's insane that all they could offer you was your choice of campus. I know Illinois is broke but I would never defer for less than like 60-70k.
Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile
Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile
Especially after reading this post, I would not defer unless a similar offer were made: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/scholarship-offer-for-deferred-admission-thoughts.1204119/
I applied and was accepted to a top-10 school in this past admissions cycle, and as my school year will begin in August, I received an offer from the admissions committee. Due to over-enrollment of students, I was offered a large scholarship (~$100k) to defer my admission to next year (guaranteed seat).
Last edited:
Tell them your decision on whether or not to defer is pending.Dr Girotti just sent out an email saying that our class is currently oversubscribed, and that they're offering the opportunity to defer your entry to start in 2017, with the promise that if you do defer, you're guaranteed your first choice campus.
I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.
I'd actually consider it if I hadn't signed a lease already, just because they're switching to organ systems next year, and I'm only 22 anyway.That's insane that all they could offer you was your choice of campus. I know Illinois is broke but I would never defer for less than like 60-70k.
Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile
60-80 people taken off waitlist in previous years. Negative chance of getting taken off this year. Guess I'm going with my plan B.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I can't imagine it having much of an effect at all.I'm a resident of IL applying this cycle. Anyone know how "oversubscribing" will affect my chances of getting in for Fall of 2017? I really want to go to this school.
It'll probably be minimal. Depending on by how many they are oversubscribed.I'm a resident of IL applying ethis cycle. Anyone know how "oversubscribing" will affect my chances of getting in for Fall of 2017? I really want to go to this school.
Not sure what their average class size is...but let's say it 150 and they have 10 people too many this year, and are able to convince 10 people to delay until next year...then they will likely bring in only 140 next year to add to the 10 deferments. No really an issue for you.
Now if they oversubscribed by 40-50 or more (unlikely)...then it could make things a bit more difficult next year. AND the admissions dean gets fired!
Basically you need to keep all your options open and not become too focused on just 1 school. It's difficult enough to get into ANY medical school, focusing on just 1 is begging for disappointment.
Withdrawing from the Chicago campus and the GMED program.
Received the Post-bac paperwork last week. Although the post-bac is completed in Chicago they do split us up into the three campus next year for when medical school starts. Did not know that, I assumed because we started in Chicago post-bac students automatically would just stay in Chicago. Just wanted to put that out there for students applying next round.
Received the Post-bac paperwork last week. Although the post-bac is completed in Chicago they do split us up into the three campus next year for when medical school starts. Did not know that, I assumed because we started in Chicago post-bac students automatically would just stay in Chicago. Just wanted to put that out there for students applying next round.
How do they decide which campus you will be assigned to?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K