2015-2016 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Alternate Second Quartile. Decision Pending since early December. LOLOLOLOLLLLLLLLL. It would have made life so much easier if I had been accepted here, sigh . . . will most likely be withdrawing since I am lucky enough to have other options.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
For clarity and for people reading this thread next application cycle...

UIC did not give out any post-II rejections until April and those rejections were for people interviewed in March & April. If you were rejected earlier than April there is a possibility to getting invited to apply for their post-bacc. All flat out rejections before April were all pre-II (I think). So once you were interviewed early you were either accepted, "decision pending" status until May that turns into a wait-listed, or invited to post-bacc.

Has anyone been rejected post-II and not invited to the post-bac? Maybe those people are just not on this thread.

My theory is that if you are not rejected pre-II, post-interview you are either accepted, wait-listed or invited to apply for post-bacc.

I called admissions to ask a few questions - here is what I learned, maybe this will help guide your decision making as well:
  • They cannot tell us the size of each quartile
  • They cannot tell us if UICOM overfilled their seats
  • They will not accept letters of intent
  • Waitlist movement typically starts in early June and is mostly done by the end of June, which seems consistent with previous years' SDN threads

Members don't see this ad :)
I called admissions to ask a few questions - here is what I learned, maybe this will help guide your decision making as well:
  • Waitlist movement typically starts in early June and is mostly done by the end of June, which seems consistent with previous years' SDN threads
So we're best off applying for AMCAS 2017, just so we're not screwed if they don't notify until mid July that we're not getting off the waitlist

thank you for calling and letting us know!

For clarity and for people reading this thread next application cycle...

UIC did not give out any post-II rejections until April and those rejections were for people interviewed in March & April. If you were rejected earlier than April there is a possibility to getting invited to apply for their post-bacc. All flat out rejections before April were all pre-II (I think). So once you were interviewed early you were either accepted, "decision pending" status until May that turns into a wait-listed, or invited to post-bacc.

Has anyone been rejected post-II and not invited to the post-bac? Maybe those people are just not on this thread.

My theory is that if you are not rejected pre-II, post-interview you are either accepted, wait-listed or invited to apply for post-bacc.

Huh. I would've thought that "quartile" implies equal groups of four, but go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think I read somewhere that says as long as you have it all done before orientation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. As for Hep B, you just have to be in the process of getting it since we have to wait 6 months between the second and third shots.
Do you by any chance remember where you read this?

UIC is already one of the largest schools in the country; if anything, they should increase capacity at the other sites to make it equal to Chicago. And the official title of the school is "University of Illinois College of Medicine". Anyone who applies to the school thinking they'll get into the Chicago site hasn't done their research. Illinois residents should feel lucky to even have access to a public medical school of this size.
I don't think anyone is applying to UIC thinking they will for sure get into the Chicago campus. Additionally, for the number of applicants in IL, the size of UIC and SIU is pretty weak compared to other state schools around the country.

Personally, I took the risk applying here hoping to get placed in Chicago, but that doesn't seem like it will happen. If we are all being honest, unless you have family or friends at their other locations, the Chicago campus is more favorable for most applicants. However, I can't complain too much because I'll likely be right next door at a program that I got a much better feeling from.

Has anyone heard back from appealing for a site reassignment? Just curious if that has already begun, or will pick up in the upcoming weeks with the waitlist just being formed.

Where did you get those dates? I am on the UPR track and they say that immunizations need to be completed by orientation.
So the July 1st dates from Pamela Slaughter over the phone and the August 9th from the website. Please correct me if I am wrong..

Anyone else get an email from Girotti this morning talking about campus placement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted in the second quartile, will not be attending. Best of luck to you all!
Just stalked your profile and scrolled down for miles on your Recent Activity tab because I HAD TO WITNESS THAT POST. Congratulations!

Reactions: 2 users
No email from Girotti but I'm at UPR.

Sent from my SM-G925V using SDN mobile

I really don't understand them because from a strategic point of view this makes no sense at all. If they want desirable people to come to the school, why make them wait? It's June 3rd and nobody's been accepted off the waitlist. The longer they make people wait, the more people are going to be ensconced in other schools and the more likely it is that they'll say no to UIC.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if other schools are getting more/less waitlist movement than usual?

I really don't understand them because from a strategic point of view this makes no sense at all. If they want desirable people to come to the school, why make them wait? It's June 3rd and nobody's been accepted off the waitlist. The longer they make people wait, the more people are going to be ensconced in other schools and the more likely it is that they'll say no to UIC.
I think we've well established that the admissions office does not follow principals of strategy or common sense...

It's possible the class is full (for the time being).

Maybe nobody is withdrawing?

Finally got around to sending my withdrawal from the alternate list...I was very tempted to start the email with "After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that..." :p

Best of luck to those hoping to get off the waitlist!

Finally got around to sending my withdrawal from the alternate list...I was very tempted to start the email with "After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that..." :p

I should tell them my decision to remain on the waitlist is "pending"

Was placed in first quartile of the waitlist, but will be withdrawing - hope you guys on the waitlist get a spot! I've started to make other commitments in New York...would have been reasonable had I heard early May and had some time to make a decision/plan. Although I HAVE heard of people moving the week before classes start. Good luck to you all!

I decided to revise for funsies :p:

"After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that it is not possible to accept your offer to place me on the alternate list. This year I received more waitlist offers than positions available for acceptance so many qualified schools were turned down. Rest assured that you were given a thorough review and that this decision does not reflect your qualifications as a medical school. I wish you the best of luck in your future incoming class."

Reactions: 4 users
I decided to revise for funsies :p:

"After careful consideration of your school, I regret to inform you that it is not possible to accept your offer to place me on the alternate list. This year I received more waitlist offers than positions available for acceptance so many qualified schools were turned down. Rest assured that you were given a thorough review and that this decision does not reflect your qualifications as a medical school. I wish you the best of luck in your future incoming class."
You should offer for them to participate in a qualifying post-bacc program or MPH to improve their chances of accepting you or others next year. Or maybe offer them some training in organizational management for a small fee...

Reactions: 4 users
We don't need any sort of physical... right?
Depends on the school. For one of my waitlisted schools they needed a signed copy of an annual physical/check up with your primary care physician. Other schools may have some sort of basic fitness/competency test during orientation.

Anyone else with latent TB here? My clear chest x-ray just got rejected by Certified Background because I haven't gotten a BCG vaccine.

I called admissions today, and they said they haven't had any waitlist movement because their seats are still full. Seeing as UICOM started having waitlist movement around this time in previous years, I don't think this bodes well for us on the waitlist.

I called admissions today, and they said they haven't had any waitlist movement because their seats are still full. Seeing as UICOM started having waitlist movement around this time in previous years, I don't think this bodes well for us on the waitlist.

Oh boy, I wish it would move. I'm starting to make commitments out of state and getting settled over there. I thought we would have heard something by now, but I'm not sure how much longer I feel comfortable waiting anymore. :/

Glad I've submitted AMCAS 2017, then...

Anyone else with latent TB here? My clear chest x-ray just got rejected by Certified Background because I haven't gotten a BCG vaccine.

Hey.

I worked as a dietary aide as a teenager and had a false positive for TB. They drew blood to double check and Mtb was absent. Have you had blood drawn or just a PPD?

Hey.

I worked as a dietary aide as a teenager and had a false positive for TB. They drew blood to double check and Mtb was absent. Have you had blood drawn or just a PPD?
Yes I actually have TB. The Urbana requirements only need a clear chest x-ray to show that it is not active. CB wants me to get a BCG vaccine, which is only done in Asian and African countries where TB is common. In the US we use INH therapy (daily drugs for 9 months) to lower the chance of reactivation by an order of magnitude.

Dr Girotti just sent out an email saying that our class is currently oversubscribed, and that they're offering the opportunity to defer your entry to start in 2017, with the promise that if you do defer, you're guaranteed your first choice campus.

I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.

Dr Girotti just sent out an email saying that our class is currently oversubscribed, and that they're offering the opportunity to defer your entry to start in 2017, with the promise that if you do defer, you're guaranteed your first choice campus.

I think this is bad news for all waitlisted students, as it sounds like there isn't going to be any movement any time soon.

When did you get this email? I don't think I received it.

aww :( thank you for letting us know.

I also got the email. I'm at Chicago. I'd consider it if they offered some sort of financial incentive.