-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Here you go, very informative, somebody posted from last year
It seems like there are 4 levels of status updates:
1. "The committees file review indicates that they are very interested in your candidacy. We are trying to get all candidates at your priority score interviews as soon as possible IF we have an adequate number of interview slots."
2. "The committee's file review indicates that they are interested in your candidacy. However, due to the increase in the applicant pool this year, it is clear we MAY be unable to interview all the candidates at your priority score. If we do find that we are unable to grant an interview, you will be notified by e-mail in March."
3. "The committee's file review indicates that they wish to consider your file over the next several weeks before making a decision about interview. Your file will be reviewed again by a small sub-committee before making a final decision. Once a decision has been made on your profile, you will receive an email regarding your recent status update."
4. "The committee's file review indicates that they would like to consider your file further. We are now in the process of scheduling interviews and will continue to do so through February. Unfortunately, the committee indicates interest in far more candidates than we are able to interview. Since we are dependent on the Committee member's schedules for interview spaces, we are unable to predict when or if we will be able to schedule you this year. If your status changes, you will receive an email regarding your recent status update."
I wish I had even ONE of those. I've been on "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." for well over a month now. I find that concerning
so I just received a rejection but I am really confused.... my new MCAT scores are not released until Sept 8th( and my old one sucked) and I am still waiting for some LOR.... so how is it they made a decision without all of materials... i had the minimum amt in but not everything
They screen based off the entire application with heavy emphasis on significant clinical experience.
They probably made the decision without looking at the old mcat score. If they liked everything else about your app, I think you would have gotten this message: "We have received your AMCAS application, but will be holding it for further action, pending receipt of your most recent MCAT scores. MCAT's taken after September of this application year will not be considered." http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/status-update-from-vcu-mistake-on-amcas.1154217/
That's my best guess. You could ask the admissions about it since it may not be common to screen applicants out without the mcat score.
Even if my guess was true, you shouldn't feel to disheartened about it. VCU seems to be very specific as to the types of applicants they are looking for. So an excellent applicant for other medical schools may not receive a secondary from VCU if they are not a good fit for the school. Best of luck on the rest of the cycle!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still waiting for the subcommittee to read my application
+1
I wish I had even ONE of those. I've been on "Your M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile." for well over a month now. I find that concerning
+1
I don't care what the status update is, I just want one!!
Complete since 7/20
D
deleted642188
*Sigh* Seeing how everyone else is waiting so long it seems I won't get a response until mid-September to early October....
🙁😕
AMCAS Verfied: 23 July 2015
Secondary Received: 3 August 2015
Secondary Submitted: 9 August 2015
🙁😕
AMCAS Verfied: 23 July 2015
Secondary Received: 3 August 2015
Secondary Submitted: 9 August 2015
I called the Admissions Office yesterday because I too have an "Incomplete" app, despite having all letters loaded and payment processed. The person I spoke with let me know that they are experiencing some technical mishaps which should account for the "Incomplete" status and assured me that it should be resolved within 72 hours. Additionally, she mentioned that they mark all individual letters as "Science," though she did not clarify their reasoning for doing so.My LORS finally loaded, but they're all marked as "Science" (even the nonscience) and I'm still "Incomplete" for some reason. My deadline is in 5 days![]()
Hope this helps!
+1
I don't care what the status update is, I just want one!!
Complete since 7/20
LOl I just wanna be complete! waiting, hopefully soon.
delete
Last edited:
+1+1
I don't care what the status update is, I just want one!!
Complete since 7/20
D
deleted642188
Haha well, just got rejected from here, but I expected with me being an OOS applicant. All the best to everyone else applying here!!
Unfortunate to hear. Were you pre-secondary or post-secondary?
Best of luck to you too!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
damn man! when were you complete?I was post-secondary. And thank you!!
D
deleted642188
how long did it take people to get a secondary, they notified me that thy received primary on 8/12. this is the first secondary I wrote.......![]()
I got mine after 1.5 weeks
23rd July AMCAS verified
Secondary received 4 August
I got mine after 1.5 weeks
23rd July AMCAS verified
Secondary received 4 August
its been longer than 1.5 weeks. dam it.
I'm a girl lol 😛 Well I sent the secondary July 4th but my committee letter wasn't submitted till July 2o
well damn girl 😉
I was complete about 4 weeks ago and still no change. Just says I will be reviewed.So it's been well over a month for me now since I've been marked as complete (about 6 weeks actually), with no updates. Are a lot of others who were complete back then still waiting for an update from VCU?
So it's been well over a month for me now since I've been marked as complete (about 6 weeks actually), with no updates. Are a lot of others who were complete back then still waiting for an update from VCU?
Same, since like 7/30 no status change
Same, since like 7/30 no status change
+1
+2So it's been well over a month for me now since I've been marked as complete (about 6 weeks actually), with no updates. Are a lot of others who were complete back then still waiting for an update from VCU?
+3 Complete on 7/29, still says will be reviewed by sub-committee
So it's been well over a month for me now since I've been marked as complete (about 6 weeks actually), with no updates. Are a lot of others who were complete back then still waiting for an update from VCU?
I'm in the same boat as you. Waiting forever.
D
deleted642188
So it's been well over a month for me now since I've been marked as complete (about 6 weeks actually), with no updates. Are a lot of others who were complete back then still waiting for an update from VCU?
I know that they said to call if you haven't heard back in 8 to 9 weeks
It suks though because I will hear back during mid-late september... so my torture has only begun...
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They screen based off the entire application with heavy emphasis on significant clinical experience.
They probably made the decision without looking at the old mcat score. If they liked everything else about your app, I think you would have gotten this message: "We have received your AMCAS application, but will be holding it for further action, pending receipt of your most recent MCAT scores. MCAT's taken after September of this application year will not be considered." http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/status-update-from-vcu-mistake-on-amcas.1154217/
That's my best guess. You could ask the admissions about it since it may not be common to screen applicants out without the mcat score.
Even if my guess was true, you shouldn't feel to disheartened about it. VCU seems to be very specific as to the types of applicants they are looking for. So an excellent applicant for other medical schools may not receive a secondary from VCU if they are not a good fit for the school. Best of luck on the rest of the cycle!
This was after I submitted my secondary. I got pass the screen a while ago.
Oh, my bad. Then you should contact them because they were supposed to put your application on hold for the new mcat prior to review.This was after I submitted my secondary. I got pass the screen a while ago.
Hi all, I submitted the secondary yesterday 8/26. I want to be as proactive as possible, because an interview at this school would be awesome! Do I need to notify VCU that I am *NOT* waiting on MCAT results? The reason I'm asking this: they wrote "If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.", they mean to email them if the file is on hold incorrectly, right?
Only when you are put on hold should you email them that you do not plan on taking the mcat in the future. "Hold for MCAT means that we are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately." Chill like a pickle mate.Hi all, I submitted the secondary yesterday 8/26. I want to be as proactive as possible, because an interview at this school would be awesome! Do I need to notify VCU that I am *NOT* waiting on MCAT results? The reason I'm asking this: they wrote "If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately.", they mean to email them if the file is on hold incorrectly, right?
Awesome! Thanks for the response. I assumed so, but I wanted to check with someone else.Only when you are put on hold should you email them that you do not plan on taking the mcat in the future. "Hold for MCAT means that we are assuming you are scheduled to take the test. The Committee wishes to wait to evaluate your file until those scores are available. MCATS taken after September of the year of application will not be considered. If you are not planning to take or retake the MCAT, please notify us immediately." Chill like a pickle mate.
I'm starting to train for a half marathon to take my mind off waiting for interviews, the waiting around sucks!!
When is it exactly? I did a google search that didn't turn up anything helpful.Anyone from SDN going to the VCU Open House in September?
Low blow! Just telling us about a party we aren't invited to.It's in early September….can't remember the date off the top of my head at the moment. I think perhaps it was only open to certain Universities because there's a limited number of seats for the event. Maybe that's why you didn't hear about it? Not sure...

Just got the "our M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
Really dreading the wait for the next updated based off the last 10 or so pages I've read.
Really dreading the wait for the next updated based off the last 10 or so pages I've read.
Low blow! Just telling us about a party we aren't invited to.![]()
![]()
![]()
Hahaha I didn't mean it like that at all! Sorry if it came across that way. I just wanted to know if I would meet any of you guys there or not.
Anyone from SDN going to the VCU Open House in September?
I'll be there
Haha yeah I'm kidding, no worries! Let us know how it goes. Regardless I've got like 20 other parties to go to that night anyways............ya know....Hahaha I didn't mean it like that at all! Sorry if it came across that way. I just wanted to know if I would meet any of you guys there or not.
The website states that update letters are for grades and publications only...does that mean there's no way I can update the school on new activities (work/clinical exposure)?🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the "our M.D. file is now complete. The Sub-Committee will now do a review of your application. Once this review is complete, you will receive a status update regarding your profile."
Really dreading the wait for the next updated based off the last 10 or so pages I've read.
mine's been that status since mid july XD
For those of you getting interviews this week. What are the earliest dates available
December
well that sucks for the rest of us i guessDecember
When did you submit your secondary?II! So excited - VCU is a top choice. Submitted mid July, complete early August.
NVM
