You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I never got any emails from VCU, but I was able to log into the portal. It says that my AMCAS application has been received, but there is no invitation for a supplemental application
Same here, it says my application is being evaluated.
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any consensus on what "week of july 5th" means? Does july 8 count?
Also - just saw one of my LORs on the status website - but they've mislabeled it as a science rec, when its from a non-science teacher.... >.< is it worth correcting them on that?
Also - just saw one of my LORs on the status website - but they've mislabeled it as a science rec, when its from a non-science teacher.... >.< is it worth correcting them on that?
Well for what its worth, I submitted my app 5 days ago as well and I have everything submitted...still says incomplete
Same - it's bc of LORs, there's a new message on the login-screen about it. It really sucks though.
How do you check what is missing?Update: the portal now says that they're waiting on my MCAT score, but I took it on May 22 and it's been up for some time...
Got it thanks. I think my LORs have still not gone in. All else seems to be there.Log in to your portal. Click the "File Status" tab. Look at the received items to see what all they have received, then look at the "File Status" listing on that tab and if it says "INCOMPLETE", click it. It should tell you what all they require to be considered "Complete" and just compare the two to see what you are missing.
I think the schools have to go out and grab them for the files. It seems that haven't done that, or they haven't linked it into their system. As no one is reporting a "complete" status, we are all in the same boat. I'm not worried, YET. VCU seems to be on the IT struggle bus anyway. Let's not push that bus over the edge!Is anyone actually complete? I sent letters via AMCAS, I'm surprised it wasn't automatically uploaded for them.
good to know. just making sure it wasn't on my end.I think the schools have to go out and grab them for the files. It seems that haven't done that, or they haven't linked it into their system. As no one is reporting a "complete" status, we are all in the same boat. I'm not worried, YET. VCU seems to be on the IT struggle bus anyway. Let's not push that bus over the edge!
I've been complete since yesterday
VCU's IT Department be like YOLOSWAG420good to know. just making sure it wasn't on my end.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sadly, I had to google that one. I'm so out of it.VCU's IT Department be like YOLOSWAG420
A Visual InterpretationSadly, I had to google that one. I'm so out of it.
That was the hardest part, not the topic, but writing it so that it was coherent, and not just list of would do A, B, C, etc. It wasn't hard, just time consuming.
Any tips? Nearly every sentence in my essay starts with "I would," and none of my English major friends can suggest anything better.
Use a clause first, start with Although XXXX, or While Doing XXXX, During X X X. Mix it up a bit.Any tips? Nearly every sentence in my essay starts with "I would," and none of my English major friends can suggest anything better.
Got a status change emailFor those of you who are now marked "complete", did you get an email telling you that? Or did you have to log in to check?
Use a clause first, start with Although XXXX, or While Doing XXXX, During X X X. Mix it up a bit.
Thank you!
One of my LoRs that was submitted but the other ones were not. Should I send the two remaining letters via Interfolio?
Last edited:
Only one of my lors shows up and it's marked as science when it's humanities >.<
Lol I had the same thought. When I first starting reading this year's thread I thought I was accidentally in last year's because I checked it out for info a while back.I just don't know how they would overlook something like this 2 years in a row
My only issue with writing this: Is it considered a confidential conversation if you discuss it with an attending after she leaves?I don't know how in-depth we are supposed to go on this, but I just let patient safety, confidentiality, education/advocacy, and autonomy guide my answer. I wrote it as if I was the attending, and then at the very end, I just said I would defer to the judgement of the the resident or attending with whom I'm working, as they may have more experience working with patient of domestic violence. I didn't go into all the scenarios, but just made sure I was sensitive and reasonable in my answer.
Anyone else care to explain how they approached this essay?
Read up on HIPAA. Relevant medical information can be shared with fellow providers if it contributes to the health and well being of a patient.My only issue with writing this: Is it considered a confidential conversation if you discuss it with an attending after she leaves?
Last edited:
Well thats sorta my point. Telling a patient that its confidential when its not really is making it a hard question to answer IMO, given the importance of privacyRead up on HIPAA. Short answer: no. Relevant medical information can be shared with fellow providers if it contributes to the health and well being of a patient.
Well thats sorta my point. Telling a patient that its confidential when its not really is making it a hard question to answer IMO, given the importance of privacy
You're missing the point of the previous good answer - it IS still confidential as long as you discuss it for a reason with another doctor. Your definition of confidentially isn't the same as the laws
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1Still not complete [emoji53]. LORS are taking forever
Completed now!
Nice! When did you submit? I submitted on the 5th and am still waiting for my LoRs to show up.Completed now!
@Hokiehi a few days after yours.. im sure your status will be updated soon 🙂
Do they change it periodically throughout the season? My essay was:
Imagine that you are a medical student taking an admission history of a woman for a minor surgical procedure. She is accompanied by her husband who is very friendly and overly eager in answering your questions. The husband leaves to pay the parking meter and you proceed with your physical examination of the wife. You notice some bruises on her upper arm. When you ask about the bruises, she states that she recently fell in the kitchen and asks you not to bring it up when her husband returns. You suspect domestic violence. How would you handle this situation? (You may use any resources for your answer)
Imagine that you are a medical student taking an admission history of a woman for a minor surgical procedure. She is accompanied by her husband who is very friendly and overly eager in answering your questions. The husband leaves to pay the parking meter and you proceed with your physical examination of the wife. You notice some bruises on her upper arm. When you ask about the bruises, she states that she recently fell in the kitchen and asks you not to bring it up when her husband returns. You suspect domestic violence. How would you handle this situation? (You may use any resources for your answer)
This answers my question posted below, thanks!!This is the same prompt from last year... just as a warning this happened last cycle (i.e. 2014's prompt was the same for 2015), but then a couple of weeks later the prompt changed due to a display error. Like, the prompt for 2015 wasn't supposed to be the same as the one for 2014.
No they just had an IT issue and the new prompt wasn't uploaded so the prompt from last year was on the secondary for everyone who received the secondary early. The prompt you posted is the one for this year! 🙂Do they change it periodically throughout the season? My essay was:
Imagine that you are a medical student taking an admission history of a woman for a minor surgical procedure. She is accompanied by her husband who is very friendly and overly eager in answering your questions. The husband leaves to pay the parking meter and you proceed with your physical examination of the wife. You notice some bruises on her upper arm. When you ask about the bruises, she states that she recently fell in the kitchen and asks you not to bring it up when her husband returns. You suspect domestic violence. How would you handle this situation? (You may use any resources for your answer)
In the "lapses" question, I wrote about the year I had a really obvious nose dive in grades (2.88 sGPA, EEK!)
but didn't really talk about my "gap year" because my gap year involved me being in a post-bacc grade enhancement program, which i'm assuming is pretty much the same thing as undergrad anyway... lol
I know we've talked about the lapses question a lot, but do you think this is the way to go for this question?
but didn't really talk about my "gap year" because my gap year involved me being in a post-bacc grade enhancement program, which i'm assuming is pretty much the same thing as undergrad anyway... lol
I know we've talked about the lapses question a lot, but do you think this is the way to go for this question?
Oh good because that's the one I answered! Sent mine in last night!!No they just had an IT issue and the new prompt wasn't uploaded so the prompt from last year was on the secondary for everyone who received the secondary early. The prompt you posted is the one for this year! 🙂
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, I have tried 1000 times on every internet browser known to man to upload a photo on my secondary, and every time I save the page, the photo is gone. Anyone have this problem and figure out how to resolve it? I really want to submit this app today but would like to include the photo since they suggest it. 😕
I know this is really a stupid solution like turning off the computer and then turning it on, but did you hit the upload button-if there is one.Okay, I have tried 1000 times on every internet browser known to man to upload a photo on my secondary, and every time I save the page, the photo is gone. Anyone have this problem and figure out how to resolve it? I really want to submit this app today but would like to include the photo since they suggest it. 😕
C
Clockwork Biology
Okay, I have tried 1000 times on every internet browser known to man to upload a photo on my secondary, and every time I save the page, the photo is gone. Anyone have this problem and figure out how to resolve it? I really want to submit this app today but would like to include the photo since they suggest it. 😕
I don't have an exact solution for you, but if you really want them to have a photo you could email it to admissions with your AMCAS ID # and just explain why you couldn't upload it.
Did anybody have FAP for their secondaries? Does anybody know if VCU takes FAP, and how you supposed to pay for the secondary with FAP? Any input is appreciated!