You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did anybody have FAP for their secondaries? Does anybody know if VCU takes FAP, and how you supposed to pay for the secondary with FAP? Any input is appreciated!
Your should see in your secondary that your fee is waived if you have FAP.
Submitted all letters via AMCAS with my primary (verified mid-June) and still not complete.I know they were having problems uploading letters, are a ton of people still incomplete because of this? I submitted on 7/04 and my letters were uploaded to virtual eval 7/10. Just wondering!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Submitted all letters via AMCAS with my primary (verified mid-June) and still not complete.
Okay thanks - just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. Hopefully they get our letters soon!
Secondary submitted July 7th.
Letters received by AMCAS July 10th.
Letters received by VCU & file marked "complete" yesterday, July 17th.
Note: I did the CERT program and will have a guaranteed interview. That might explain the quicker processing time compared to others I am seeing on here.
Letters received by AMCAS July 10th.
Letters received by VCU & file marked "complete" yesterday, July 17th.
Note: I did the CERT program and will have a guaranteed interview. That might explain the quicker processing time compared to others I am seeing on here.
Last edited:
I submitted the secondary on the 7th and my letters were with AMCAS in early June - still not complete.
Same
I had to call VCU and provide them with my FAP approval for them to waive my secondary feeDid anybody have FAP for their secondaries? Does anybody know if VCU takes FAP, and how you supposed to pay for the secondary with FAP? Any input is appreciated!
I feel like because there are a lot of us, letter services are getting a bit cloggedShould I be worried about amcas letter service forwarding my letters or will they get it done eventually?
I think as long as your letters are all transmitted to amcas, you can just sit tight for a bit - have any of your letters been forwarded to any schools?
I feel like because there are a lot of us, letter services are getting a bit clogged
I think as long as your letters are all transmitted to amcas, you can just sit tight for a bit - have any of your letters been forwarded to any schools?
yeah some of my schools say they got it and others say that they havent received the letters yet
is the prompt in the OP they only essay question for the VCU Secondary this year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same here other schools have the LORS that are in amcas. Seems like this school has more than its share of tech problems.yeah some of my schools say they got it and others say that they havent received the letters yet
is the prompt in the OP they only essay question for the VCU Secondary this year?
The OP actually has the wrong prompt. It was the initial prompt, but, like last year, VCU screwed up. The prompt about the 15-year-old girl is last year's prompt. They sent it out this year, and then they changed it to the new prompt after about two weeks. Am I making sense?
I submitted an essay response to the 15-year-old girl question. I'm not sure what the current prompt is.
The OP actually has the wrong prompt. It was the initial prompt, but, like last year, VCU screwed up. The prompt about the 15-year-old girl is last year's prompt. They sent it out this year, and then they changed it to the new prompt after about two weeks. Am I making sense?
I submitted an essay response to the 15-year-old girl question. I'm not sure what the current prompt is.
Current prompt (2000 characters):
Imagine that you are a medical student taking an admission history of a woman for a minor surgical procedure. She is accompanied by her husband who is very friendly and overly eager in answering your questions. The husband leaves to pay the parking meter and you proceed with your physical examination of the wife. You notice some bruises on her upper arm. When you ask about the bruises, she states that she recently fell in the kitchen and asks you not to bring it up when her husband returns. You suspect domestic violence. How would you handle this situation? (You may use any resources for your answer)
Same here other schools have the LORS that are in amcas. Seems like this school has more than its share of tech problems.
Go have a look at NYMC 😛
it still says im incomplete .. 🙁
+1it still says im incomplete .. 🙁
Current prompt (2000 characters):
Imagine that you are a medical student taking an admission history of a woman for a minor surgical procedure. She is accompanied by her husband who is very friendly and overly eager in answering your questions. The husband leaves to pay the parking meter and you proceed with your physical examination of the wife. You notice some bruises on her upper arm. When you ask about the bruises, she states that she recently fell in the kitchen and asks you not to bring it up when her husband returns. You suspect domestic violence. How would you handle this situation? (You may use any resources for your answer)
I'm kinda glad I answered the first prompt. Lol.
Omg just looked at the NYMC thread on Casper, what a clustered&@k. I will keep my complaints about V c u to myselfAmen to that![]()
Omg just looked at the NYMC thread on Casper, what a clustered&@k. I will keep my complaints about V c u to myself
Exactly......no man or women should ever have to go through that. I could probably use it for the overcoming adversity essays

You're missing the point of the previous good answer - it IS still confidential as long as you discuss it for a reason with another doctor. Your definition of confidentially isn't the same as the laws
Chasing Never Land, I understand your problem with talking to a doctor after stating that it is confidential. I was a resident advisor and had personal issues with speaking to residents and then documenting incidents... The key to understand is that privacy and confidentiality are different things. Privacy would mean that only people that are on a need to know basis are aware of the issue versus confidentiality would mean that you keep the information to yourself... With issues where the patient is at risk, it is important that the incident is documented for his or her safety. Don't know if that helps at all but thought I'd give you my 002/100.
submitted secondary on july 5th. still incomplete. only have 1 LOR (non science) on file but i have assigned all the letter to the school on the AMCAS. and it labeled my non science to science letter. what is up with this school, anyone know?
I submitted 7/04 and am still incomplete bc of my LOR as well. I'm going to wait til the 24th (2 weeks after my letters got uploaded to virtual eval) to e mail them.
I actually added this school to my list late last week (I've been verified since 6/02) in comparison to my initial list, so I just received the "preliminary screen" this weekend. How long did it take before a secondary was given? Also, does anyone suspect its a hard stats screen rather than a quick, hand review of a file?
Thanks!
Thanks!
"Applications are received in the Admissions Office and reviewed by a sub-committee. Decisions are made at that point as to which candidates will receive a supplemental application from us. It has always been our committee’s policy to send supplemental applications only to those candidates who are deemed competitive within our applicant pool. To assist you in understanding this decision process, we received over 9,000 applications in 2014 and send supplementals to only about 2,800 candidates. The decision to send a supplemental is based on AAMC Holistic Review Project E-A-M Model of evaluating Experiences, Attributes and Metrics to determine how the applicant might contribute to VCU School of Medicine learning environment as well as to the medical profession as a future physician."
I actually added this school to my list late last week (I've been verified since 6/02) in comparison to my initial list, so I just received the "preliminary screen" this weekend. How long did it take before a secondary was given? Also, does anyone suspect its a hard stats screen rather than a quick, hand review of a file?
Thanks!
This should help you out. It may take a little bit since they have a bunch of applications to review. If you receive a secondary, that means that you are well on your way!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I still find it hard to believe less than a third receive the secondary! But I guess it is great news to receive one! 🙂
I still find it hard to believe less than a third receive the secondary! But I guess it is great news to receive one! 🙂
Wait how do you know that?I still find it hard to believe less than a third receive the secondary! But I guess it is great news to receive one! 🙂
Look like 3-4 posts up. It's quoted. Also if you read the thread earlier it is also stated.Wait how do you know that?
Wait how do you know that?
It's actually more than a third ... 2,800 /9000= 0.311 to be exact 😉
Vcu screens?
not to get technical but a third is .333 so.. 0.31 is less than a thirdIt's actually more than a third ... 2,800 /9000= 0.311 to be exact 😉
A third of 9000 is 3000. 3000/9000=1/3= .33333. 2800<3000 and .31< .33 so it is less than a third.It's actually more than a third ... 2,800 /9000= 0.311 to be exact 😉
A third of 9000 is 3000. 3000/9000=1/3= .33333. 2800<3000 and .31< .33 so it is less than a third.
lol
Yes. Apparently heavily pre-secondary according to : http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/admissions/md/application_status/Vcu screens?
Huh.... Did anyone else just get the secondary without a preliminary screen email?
I got a verification email stating they received my AMCAS app before I got the secondary. 7/2 for the verification email 7/3 for the secondary.Huh.... Did anyone else just get the secondary without a preliminary screen email?
A third of 9000 is 3000. 3000/9000=1/3= .33333. 2800<3000 and .31< .33 so it is less than a third.
LOL haha whoops my apologies 🙂
No biggie. I like math haha. 🙂LOL haha whoops my apologies 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Might be either-or. I have a 3.5 and a 32 and got the secondary. But maybe there is more to it.Thanks for the information, guys! Has anyone seen a strong correlation? Like, >30mcat >3.7gpa get it? Or is it really as holistic as advertised?
Just got this email very early this morning. Complete 6/2. Did anyone else receive this?
"Your profile is currently being reviewed by the Sub-Committee. This review will determine whether or not your profile will be forwarded for File Review. You may check your status online at any point during this process."
"Your profile is currently being reviewed by the Sub-Committee. This review will determine whether or not your profile will be forwarded for File Review. You may check your status online at any point during this process."
Yup got this too on the 17th.Just got this email very early this morning. Complete 6/2. Did anyone else receive this?
"Your profile is currently being reviewed by the Sub-Committee. This review will determine whether or not your profile will be forwarded for File Review. You may check your status online at any point during this process."
@The Tower I never received this email (only your account has been changed in the past 24 hours notice). my app was just completed last week though. Were your LORs in on 6/2 as well?
