2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted.
II: 11/27
Interviewed 1/27th
OOS. (The only OOS person that day, if you guys remember me lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone! I received an acceptance today via email (no phone call)at 11:30 AM. My stats: 498 MCAT, 3.83 GPA, non-traditional student. I have done a lot of volunteering and research (organic chemistry) along with other extracurriculars.
Do not lose hope! :soexcited:

YEYYYY, CONGRATSSSSSS! :) :D

ARE U OOS or IS?

Members don't see this ad :)
What the heck is up with those of us who are still waiting though? Probably getting axed as interviews are wrapping up but weird they're doing rejections in batches at this late stage

Accepted today! Interviewed 1/27. IS

Reactions: 4 users
So is Hold for further consideration just a softer way of saying, "If we have any spots left after our last interview acceptances + entire Waitlist, then we'll get back to you?" =P

Do you know of any classmates who came off the Hold list?

Can't say... could just be they haven't made a decision yet, for multiple reasons (ran out of time during that meeting, for example).

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!! Got the email on Friday! I am a re-applicant, and it's so true what everyone says: If this is your dream and you want to achieve it, don't give up! All of your hard work will pay off!

Reactions: 10 users
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!! Got the email on Friday! I am a re-applicant, and it's so true what everyone says: If this is your dream and you want to achieve it, don't give up! All of your hard work will pay off!

I would like to "double-like" this post! Haha. Congrats!!

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry of this question has already been asked, but does CMED ask for seat deposits from accepted students? I went on the portal to accept the offer, but I didn't see anything there about it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Thanks!

congratsssssssssss! well deserved!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this was mentioned before, but when does the committee meet next and how many interview days are left? I'm on the waitlist and am dying to go here! Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys, new on here. I got put on hold after my interview at CMU and was JW if being on hold was more of a soft rejection and should I not get my hopes up?

Rejected pre-II :(. Time to focus on Canada now!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys, new on here. I got put on hold after my interview at CMU and was JW if being on hold was more of a soft rejection and should I not get my hopes up?
It's definitely the lesser outcome when compared to being waitlisted. The way I see it, the committee would have to get through the entire waitlist before those of us on hold had a chance to even be waitlisted let alone admitted. Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I would turn my sights to other options or formulate a game plan for next cycle.

Out of curiosity, did anyone on this thread who interviewed 1/20 get admitted?

Interviewed 2/17 and lets just say this is gonna be a difficult wait. The past few days have felt like eons.

I recently received the scholarship application in email! Any current students have any tips or advice, or stories about people you know getting scholarships?

Does anyone know how and when we can apply for the graduate housing? I looked up some of the apartment options in Mt Pleasant but the graduate housing looks very nice and affordable (probably also chances slight to none of getting in).

Does anyone know how and when we can apply for the graduate housing? I looked up some of the apartment options in Mt Pleasant but the graduate housing looks very nice and affordable (probably also chances slight to none of getting in).
Also wondering this! As well as the fact many leases begin mid August with classes starting the first week I believe?

Also wondering this! As well as the fact many leases begin mid August with classes starting the first week I believe?

Looks like March 1. But you may run into problems due to CMed classes starting August 1 (or thereabouts)... and these leases being for the usual academic year (starting late August).

Also, realize grad housing is a bit of a long shot... they are usually full. :-/

http://www.cmu.edu/housing/graduate-students/index.html

Current CMED M1 here. Just wanted to express huge congratulations on those who have been accepted! This is a tremendous feat you have accomplished! I had a chance to interview, tour, had lunch with, and answered questions during the student Q&A on a couple interview days throughout the cycle. I must say you all are amazing, inspiring people in each of your own way and I am tremendously proud of you all. The program's students, faculty, and staff are incredibly excited to hopefully see you all next academic year as incoming M1s. As you can see in this thread, my colleagues and I truly love our CMED family :) For those who are on the waitlist and waiting for interviews, do not give up! The beauty of your dreams is too good to give up on. I believe in you! We all believe in you

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
To all the current CMED students: does CMU have an option to embroider your name on white coats?

Random question I should have asked during the interview... is there an opportunity to pursue an MD/MPH at central? I am thinking it might be something I would want to do, but not sure yet.

I

Is that for medical only?

Graduate housing is for all graduate and professional level students. There are medical student only apartments:

http://www.lthomasproperties.com/1308-e-gaylord-street/#1
I looked up the LThomas Properties and it seems very nice. However, the rent is not stated anywhere and it seems one would have to apply as a part of a group of people who would live together. The website is somewhat confusing because it says one can apply by oneself but then the application states otherwise.

I will be homeless. :shrug:

I looked up the LThomas Properties and it seems very nice. However, the rent is not stated anywhere and it seems one would have to apply as a part of a group of people who would live together. The website is somewhat confusing because it says one can apply by oneself but then the application states otherwise.

I will be homeless. :shrug:

I'd start by giving Les a call (for the med student housing if that's where you want to go). He's a great landlord and will undoubtedly help you as much as he can.

There's lots of places to choose from, no worries! I made appointments at 5 different complexes and came up here one day for apartment hunting. I personally liked Woodside the best, but that's totally up to you!

Random question I should have asked during the interview... is there an opportunity to pursue an MD/MPH at central? I am thinking it might be something I would want to do, but not sure yet.
From my understanding, CMU was just recently accredited for their MPH program in the College of Health Professions. I know two people in my class that is doing a combined MD/MPH and MD/PhD, respectively. Although it is not official and is on a case by case basis, you can express a dual degree interest to CMED faculty members and the office of medical education and they can steer you in the right direction.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd start by giving Les a call (for the med student housing if that's where you want to go). He's a great landlord and will undoubtedly help you as much as he can.

There's lots of places to choose from, no worries! I made appointments at 5 different complexes and came up here one day for apartment hunting. I personally liked Woodside the best, but that's totally up to you!
Thank you! Do you know how far in advance should we start looking for housing? And how do you work out to have a lease for only school year without paying for 2 months of summer?

I really appreciate you answering all of my questions :bow:

Thank you! Do you know how far in advance should we start looking for housing? And how do you work out to have a lease for only school year without paying for 2 months of summer?

I really appreciate you answering all of my questions :bow:

I'd start looking as soon as you know which school you're going to attend, you don't have to sign, yet knowing where you're going to be will help with the stress of starting school in August. The Health Professions complex filled up last year before second look day, and graduate housing can be quite difficult to get into. You have a chance at the Health Professions as many of the M2's living there now will be moving out in early summer. A lot of the other complexes will still have availability through the summer. I signed in May with my building, and was given my apartment assignment in July (had to wait for one to open up).

As to the avoiding those 2 months of rent in the summer... you could potentially sign a month by month lease, but that will likely end up costing you more in the long run. You will have optional research opportunities with the school during that summer, so you may want to keep the apartment. Honestly, most students just have to swallow that expense, yet there may be a way around it if someone else has a way.

Hope this helps!

p.s. anyone else having issues with this site? It looks all crazy right now!

I'd start looking as soon as you know which school you're going to attend, you don't have to sign, yet knowing where you're going to be will help with the stress of starting school in August. The Health Professions complex filled up last year before second look day, and graduate housing can be quite difficult to get into. You have a chance at the Health Professions as many of the M2's living there now will be moving out in early summer. A lot of the other complexes will still have availability through the summer. I signed in May with my building, and was given my apartment assignment in July (had to wait for one to open up).

As to the avoiding those 2 months of rent in the summer... you could potentially sign a month by month lease, but that will likely end up costing you more in the long run. You will have optional research opportunities with the school during that summer, so you may want to keep the apartment. Honestly, most students just have to swallow that expense, yet there may be a way around it if someone else has a way.

Hope this helps!

p.s. anyone else having issues with this site? It looks all crazy right now!
I'm also having issues with the site. Phew, I thought it was due to my computer or something. Has this happened before?

Could anyone currently attending CMED please comment on what the typical daily schedule looks like for M1 students? Are all the classes scheduled during certain time (i.e all in the morning, or scattered throughout the day)? Also, do groups have to meet prior to class or after class, and if so, for how long. In addition, are all lectures manditory, or are there recordings as well, in case you are unable to attend one? I was curious because I am considering commuting from home for family reasons and I just wanted to know how this would play out. Thank you!

Could anyone currently attending CMED please comment on what the typical daily schedule looks like for M1 students? Are all the classes scheduled during certain time (i.e all in the morning, or scattered throughout the day)? Also, do groups have to meet prior to class or after class, and if so, for how long. In addition, are all lectures manditory, or are there recordings as well, in case you are unable to attend one? I was curious because I am considering commuting from home for family reasons and I just wanted to know how this would play out. Thank you!

PM'd you.

Im currently waitlisted and the Principle Investigator for the lab I work in wants to send a letter of recommendation regarding my current research and most recent publication. Should I have him email it to [email protected] or mail to the admission office?

Im currently waitlisted and the Principle Investigator for the lab I work in wants to send a letter of recommendation regarding my current research and most recent publication. Should I have him email it to [email protected] or mail to the admission office?

I'd shoot the office a question about that, to make sure it gets in the right hands.

Hey Guys,

I am attending CMU this Fall 2017!!!
I have some questions for current and future students:
a. Current Students- what are your recommendations on housing? Is Grad housing preferable to off-campus housing? What is more conducive to hitting the books? How challenging is it to find decent housing in Mt. Pleasant?
b. Future students- I am on the Facebook group, but there's no discussion about housing thus far. Anyone interested in a roomie(s)? I'm a mature student (dude) from SoCal.

I understand people are still deciding on where they want to matriculate but my summer is pretty busy and I want to get the ball rolling on housing ASAP.

Thanks everyone, and congrats to all the acceptees!

Sorry @everyone lol, should have read the thread before posting! Thanks @star.buck for info. on housing. Any future students @brainzilla and @Dr.hunk want to go splits on housing?

Haha... I was just going to post about checking previous posts... Congrats on your acceptance, looking forward to meeting you in the fall!

Last edited:
Does anyone from the feb 17th interview remember when the committee meeting is? I remember it's today (the 6th) but I am second guessing myself.