2016-2017 Central Michigan University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how to decline an admissions offer? I cannot figure it out anywhere.
Side note: Hopefully someone who's waitlisted on here will get my spot!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
are you in state or out of state?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my acceptance today. Hoping it goes to one of you!!

Reactions: 5 users
Did any of y'all receive any scholarship or it's just not in our financial aid report yet?

Can it be the end of April yet so we can figure out what's up with the waitlisttttttt

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, as we near the end of the spring semester, does anyone know if accepted students will have to submit official final transcripts to CMED, or if it is ok to send unofficial ones too? ( trying to save on some bucks here :) )

Just received notice that I was moved from 'hold' to the waitlist. Seems like it's definitely within the realm of possibility to be accepted from hold status! No guarantees, but forsure a possibility!

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone, as we near the end of the spring semester, does anyone know if accepted students will have to submit official final transcripts to CMED, or if it is ok to send unofficial ones too? ( trying to save on some bucks here :) )
Hi bob357. I would submit your official final transcripts just to be safe because it is the "official" transcript itself is proof that your transcript came from your university's registrar's office. I completely understand where you're coming from - "spent all this money this year during the application cycle...what's next :') "

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anybody could find the match list for the first graduating class?
Also, what would you say are some of the pros and cons of attending this school (especially for somebody who is not interested in primary care)?

The last week of April is upon us. Good luck to all those on hold/waitlist! Crossing my fingers for some good news :)

The last week of April is upon us. Good luck to all those on hold/waitlist! Crossing my fingers for some good news :)

Are you predicting we will start hearing news before the April 30th date? I assumed most movement will be after, but who knows! And best of luck to you!!

Anybody could find the match list for the first graduating class?
Also, what would you say are some of the pros and cons of attending this school (especially for somebody who is not interested in primary care)?
I just attended second look day for this school, and I can't stress how impressed I was with this program! I continued to get the vibe that each class feels like a family and everyone works together as a team. The facilities are also super nice, and the simulation center in Saginaw is really amazing and state of the art. As for primary care, there were students that matched ortho and vascular, and 20 percent of the class went into emergency medicine so if primary care isn't your goal, you'll be just fine. Also even in the 6 month primary care clerkship the students said that once you do your required shifts, you can also seek out surgeons and ER docs to work with so your clerkship wouldn't just all be primary care ( I found this really cool). The only cons really are for third and fourth year your rotations can be at different hospitals, but the students didn't see this as a huge issue, and I'm sure it will become easier as more classes figure out what the best living arrangements are! Another con some people have stated were the step scores of the first class. They really stressed how the curriculum has changed, and how more of the classes are structured so that you will do better on step , they even have retired questions used on quizzes and such and a new faculty member with a doctorate of education who will help you make a study plan. Overall I'm super excited about attending this school in the fall hopefully that helped ya, your pros and cons may be different based on your specific situation, so if I had more info I may be able to help more !

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I just attended second look day for this school, and I can't stress how impressed I was with this program! I continued to get the vibe that each class feels like a family and everyone works together as a team. The facilities are also super nice, and the simulation center in Saginaw is really amazing and state of the art. As for primary care, there were students that matched ortho and vascular, and 20 percent of the class went into emergency medicine so if primary care isn't your goal, you'll be just fine. Also even in the 6 month primary care clerkship the students said that once you do your required shifts, you can also seek out surgeons and ER docs to work with so your clerkship wouldn't just all be primary care ( I found this really cool). The only cons really are for third and fourth year your rotations can be at different hospitals, but the students didn't see this as a huge issue, and I'm sure it will become easier as more classes figure out what the best living arrangements are! Another con some people have stated were the step scores of the first class. They really stressed how the curriculum has changed, and how more of the classes are structured so that you will do better on step , they even have retired questions used on quizzes and such and a new faculty member with a doctorate of education who will help you make a study plan. Overall I'm super excited about attending this school in the fall hopefully that helped ya, your pros and cons may be different based on your specific situation, so if I had more info I may be able to help more !
What are other options than simulation center in Saginaw? I heard top notch are not even paying attention to CMU, may be down the raod but not now.

I just attended second look day for this school, and I can't stress how impressed I was with this program! I continued to get the vibe that each class feels like a family and everyone works together as a team. The facilities are also super nice, and the simulation center in Saginaw is really amazing and state of the art. As for primary care, there were students that matched ortho and vascular, and 20 percent of the class went into emergency medicine so if primary care isn't your goal, you'll be just fine. Also even in the 6 month primary care clerkship the students said that once you do your required shifts, you can also seek out surgeons and ER docs to work with so your clerkship wouldn't just all be primary care ( I found this really cool). The only cons really are for third and fourth year your rotations can be at different hospitals, but the students didn't see this as a huge issue, and I'm sure it will become easier as more classes figure out what the best living arrangements are! Another con some people have stated were the step scores of the first class. They really stressed how the curriculum has changed, and how more of the classes are structured so that you will do better on step , they even have retired questions used on quizzes and such and a new faculty member with a doctorate of education who will help you make a study plan. Overall I'm super excited about attending this school in the fall hopefully that helped ya! Also there may be different pros and cons based on your specific situation, might be able to help more with!
What are other options than simulation center in Saginaw? I heard top notch are not even paying attention to CMU, may be down the raod but not now.
I'm not sure exactly what you are asking? But there is only one simulation center in Saginaw aside from the small one in mount pleasant! So as far as I know if you were required to use the simulations you would need to be present in Saginaw. Are you talking about top notch programs not paying attention to them for residency? I'm not sure where you heard this from but there were some great matches from the first class already such as a Harvard hospital and the clevland clinic! Also the big name hospitals aren't always the best programs for learning!

Rejected about an hour ago, interviewed in November and put on hold in December. Good luck to those of you still in the running!

Rejected about an hour ago, interviewed in November and put on hold in December. Good luck to those of you still in the running!
I didn't know you could still be rejected at this stage. I'm so sorry to hear that. Is that true for waitlist as well?

I didn't know you could still be rejected at this stage. I'm so sorry to hear that. Is that true for waitlist as well?
Well anyone on hold has two options: be rejected or be put on the waitlist. And for the waitlist obviously be admitted or rejected, so I'm sure there will be a big wave next week. And thank you, it's totally fine and I didn't have very high expectations anyway for the hold!

I was also rejected from the hold position today. I'm kind of glad I don't have to wait anymore though. Good luck to everyone else!!

Also received the final axe from CMU. The wording of the email makes me wonder if they have finalized a wait list with which they are comfortable heading into the final months, therefor making hold tier more or less redundant.

Interview day left an extremely positive impression, so congratulations and best of luck to everyone starting up in 2017 :) !

Do you think sending another update now would make a difference, if they already have their list?

Do you think sending another update now would make a difference, if they already have their list?
If you have something really update worthy it might. I think if you've been showing continued interest all along it will be a lot more helpful than a last ditch effort. I thought about sending something but I don't think I have anything new that will knock their socks off. Just my opinion of course! :)

Are you predicting we will start hearing news before the April 30th date? I assumed most movement will be after, but who knows! And best of luck to you!!

Haha I didn't even think about that, I'm just super antsy and anxious to hear back after waiting for so long. One more week then! Good luck everyone :)

I recently withdrew my acceptance from here today, I'm hoping it goes to one of you! CMED is a great school and I really enjoyed interviewing there and learning about it-I have no doubt that anyone who chooses CMED will be really happy here.
@star.buck and @Traumahawk thanks so much for all your help on this thread! Everything you do is much appreciated

Reactions: 5 users
Ahhhh the wait continues for us waitlisters :smack:

Buckle up my friend... Tomorrow is May 1!

Woooo!

I'm sure people on the waitlist could hear back as early as tomorrow afternoon, but I would imagine since the waitlist isn't ranked, it might take 1-2 days for CMU to send out acceptances. If I were a betting person, my money would be on Wednesday.

Reactions: 2 users
Woooo!

I'm sure people on the waitlist could hear back as early as tomorrow afternoon, but I would imagine since the waitlist isn't ranked, it might take 1-2 days for CMU to send out acceptances. If I were a betting person, my money would be on Wednesday.
I really hope you are right!

Just got a call to be admitted into CMED. I'm really excited! Anyone have suggestions for apartments? I've called a few and they are all full. Anyone else looking for a female roommate?

Just got a call to be admitted into CMED. I'm really excited! Anyone have suggestions for apartments? I've called a few and they are all full. Anyone else looking for a female roommate?
Try University Meadows? I found summer housing there recently, and I think they do yearlong leases as well.

my suggestions on housing: find a place near the highschool, avoid south and east of main campus (lots of undergrads, parties, and noise in the fall and winter). A few classmates have found quiet apartments in those areas, but that seems to be uncommon. MANY of my current classmates are going through the effort to move out of the places like Tallgrass and University Meadows. Yet... I understand those are cheaper, and totally get the need to save some cash. Some good, quiet complexes near the highschool: Canterbury, Woodside (my quadplex complex, love it!), Stonecrest (pricey but nice!). I believe the Health Professions building is full with a waitlist, same with Grad Housing.

Last edited:
Were you on the waitlist??

As far as roommates, if you have Facebook, the CMED Class of 2021 has a fb group page where you can request to join and be accepted in by the admins. I'm sure someone is bound to need a roommate as well on there! Congratulations by the way!

As far as roommates, if you have Facebook, the CMED Class of 2021 has a fb group page where you can request to join and be accepted in by the admins. I'm sure someone is bound to need a roommate as well on there! Congratulations by the way!
Congrats! Can confirm many people have found roommates so far on the Facebook and I'm sure more will need roommates especially as more come off the waitlist!