2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
AZ probably has a lower applicant pool, it being a new campus and all. MN only just recently started sending out II for people that were complete in like late June/early July. It's probably just the MN adcoms working on a bigger applicant pool. I wouldn't worry about MN until later this month.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Big Brother MN is probably disappointed with how quiet and devoid of jokes this thread is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Big Brother MN is probably disappointed with how quiet and devoid of jokes this thread is.

ImageUploadedBySDN1470820018.865235.jpg

Better?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
Having an interview from either Mayo ain't a bad boat to be in....if they offered me admission to a giant dumpster I'd be like hell yeah

Reactions: 8 users
Fee received 8/8, Letter request 8/10 @ 230am

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how much mayo clinic values mayo clinic ties? Ex. Did 2 summers of research at the mayo clinic, mom worked for the mayo clinic, did research under a Prof who did his PhD at mayo, have letter of rec from mayo MD and Phd. Already applied and just got lor request just wondering. Thanks!

Does anyone know how much mayo clinic values mayo clinic ties? Ex. Did 2 summers of research at the mayo clinic, mom worked for the mayo clinic, did research under a Prof who did his PhD at mayo, have letter of rec from mayo MD and Phd. Already applied and just got lor request just wondering. Thanks!

Having mayo clinic ties is definitely not enough to get you in if you aren't already qualified and a good fit for mayo. I would imagine there are a decent number of applicants with mayo ties because it's a large institution and a lot of students do research here over the summer (around 130 undergrads come each summer to the Rochester campus). Yet most of my class did not have any ties to mayo; there are a couple of people who did (they did research/ worked here before applying).

In terms of the value of having letters from mayo faculty, I believe that the quality of your letters is far more important than who wrote them. If your letter writers don't know you very well and can't provide specific examples or valuable insight into your character, then the letter isn't going to move the committee to want to interview you, no matter who wrote it.

If your application/letters are strong and you're a good fit in terms of mayo's values, then I think the fact that you have ties to mayo will be like extra icing on an already super delicious cake.

I'm a little suspicious of the idea that the adcoms are completely isolated from each other. A bit of communication would go a long way toward their stated goal of having 2 classes with roughly equal stats and such.

As a current Mayo Medical Student, they are separate adcoms completely. Though branching from the same institution (Mayo Clinic), they are separate schools with separate processes.

Reactions: 6 users
I still haven't received an application received email and I sent my primary quite some time ago. Has anyone else experience this?

Did you guys get a fee payment confirmation email? I did for the Rochester campus, but not for Arizona.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOPS. I took it as meaning 250 words for EACH essay. I hope to I didn't misunderstand or if I did that they understand lol.
Ahhhhhhh i should probably call and ask? It says "Please answer the following questions in 250 words or less." and it just says "essay". They label them as A and B, so I assumed they're counted together? Maybe not. :eek:

OOPS. I took it as meaning 250 words for EACH essay. I hope to I didn't misunderstand or if I did that they understand lol.

I took it as 250 words each as well. Isn't that the standard way of interpreting how they set up the form?

I took it as 250 words each as well. Isn't that the standard way of interpreting how they set up the form?
Yeah the only thing suggesting it might be 1 essay of 250 words is that it says "essay" not "essays." Oh well. Nothing to do about it now even if we did it wrong. The admissions officer just said thanks for submitting.

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn't it say, "Please answer each of the following questions in 250 words or less.", if they meant each?

I did 250 each.
I think that even if we did it wrong, a sizeable number of people will have done it wrong too, and they won't dock us, but will make sure to be more clear next year. This is the first year any Mayo is doing this pre-interview questionnaire, right?

Reactions: 1 users
If someone calls and asks let us know. I suspect 250 each was the intention. You can't write anything of substance in 125 words.

If someone calls and asks let us know. I suspect 250 each was the intention. You can't write anything of substance in 125 words.

Agreed. Much too difficult to address "Why" and "Diversity" prompts in 125 each.

Looking at this again, it says "Please answer the following questions in 250 words or less."

I highly doubt they meant cumulative 250 words.

I'm taking it as 250 words each. That's hard enough already. My why Mayo is currently at 500 and need to trim out half of it. I've had some other secondaries with shorter diversity essays, so that essay is easier to get down to 250 words.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep, I'm doing 250 each here as well!

I did 250 each and no one emailed me to tell me I'm an idiot and they are withdrawing my II because I can't follow directions so fingers crossed its fine :p

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, I really added some posts to this thread all by asking about the number of words to use. +pad+

Has there been any recent wave of II after the first batch a few weeks ago? I have been complete for almost a month now (LORs received on July 19), and I am starting to get worried

Does anybody know how LCME accreditation is going to work for the AZ campus (or what the current news is)? Only the MN campus is listed on the LCME website.

Does anybody know how LCME accreditation is going to work for the AZ campus (or what the current news is)? Only the MN campus is listed on the LCME website.

I don't know the answer to this but I do know that the AZ campus is not considered a new school, it is still Mayo Medical School, just a different campus. I also know that the LCME did endorse Mayo Medical School's expansion -
http://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/d...ccreditation-endorsement-for-branch-campuses/
This is definitely something to ask admissions about as I am sure that they can best address this question.

Is there any other communication from here between the LOR request and II? I got a LOR request at the end of July but my letter wasn't uploaded until this week. Not sure if they send any "letter received" or "app complete" confirmation email or something before the II.

Is there any other communication from here between the LOR request and II? I got a LOR request at the end of July but my letter wasn't uploaded until this week. Not sure if they send any "letter received" or "app complete" confirmation email or something before the II.

They will send an email when your LOR are received and application is complete!

They will send an email when your LOR are received and application is complete!

Good to know! Thank you. Anyone know how long it took Mayo to download their letters? I'm guessing it's not instantaneous since I haven't gotten that email yet.

Good to know! Thank you. Anyone know how long it took Mayo to download their letters? I'm guessing it's not instantaneous since I haven't gotten that email yet.

I got my LOR request 7/27 and application complete email 7/28, but my letters were already in. I would imagine they are dealing with larger application volume right now, which might be causing the slight delay.

Are you sure it's supposed to work like that? Got a letter request on 8/10, but I had already assigned my letters prior to receiving a fee request. I called and they told me they already had my letters and everything around 8/13 but never received a letter confirmation and I think she indicated that I would not be receiving one

Are you sure it's supposed to work like that? Got a letter request on 8/10, but I had already assigned my letters prior to receiving a fee request. I called and they told me they already had my letters and everything around 8/13 but never received a letter confirmation and I think she indicated that I would not be receiving one

I got a letters received email even though my letters had been in since early May.

Whatever though, if the woman on the phone said you are all set, then you are all set.

I read through 11 pages on the MN thread, and all the posts here.
It appears Mayo asks for some short essays, what are the prompts exactly?

I read through 11 pages on the MN thread, and all the posts here.
It appears Mayo asks for some short essays, what are the prompts exactly?

Mayo doesn't have a secondary. Mayo AZ sends you pre-interview questions: (1) Why Mayo? and (2) What diversity can you bring? No idea if Mayo MN has any pre-interview questions this year.

hey guys I'm really behind here. so I decided to add this school like 10 days ago on AMCAS, and I still havent gotten an email/confirmation/anything from them

Was I supposed to get a fee request or some kind of confirmation email/portal access? or did I get screened out already?

hey guys I'm really behind here. so I decided to add this school like 10 days ago on AMCAS, and I still havent gotten an email/confirmation/anything from them

Was I supposed to get a fee request or some kind of confirmation email/portal access? or did I get screened out already?
It goes first screen based upon stats, then fee request, then LOR request if your activities/works are good. You have a 30 or higher mcat?

It goes first screen based upon stats, then fee request, then LOR request if your activities/works are good. You have a 30 or higher mcat?
Thanks for your help! yea I got above a 509 so that should be over a 30 I think and I have a pretty high GPA

Thanks for your help! yea I got above a 509 so that should be over a 30 I think and I have a pretty high GPA
Then they're probably just trying to get through a lot of apps. They'll let u know eventually of ur status.

Took me two weeks, but finally managed to finish the preinterview questionnaire. Exactly 250 words on my first essay, and 248 words for the second essay. So many great things I like about Mayo hard to write about just one.

Hey guys!!! Today, we (Mayo Medical School) is having a Twitter chat about medical school interviews - whether you have questions about the Mayo process or interviewing in general, we're here to help you! We will have students and staff answering all questions.

Make sure you check it out with the hashtag #askmayomed on Twitter - follow us @MayoMedSchool and @applymayomed

We'll be live from 7-9pm EST.

Can't wait to answer your questions!!

Attachments

• TweetChat Ad #2 (3).pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 80
As a current Mayo Medical Student, they are separate adcoms completely. Though branching from the same institution (Mayo Clinic), they are separate schools with separate processes.
Correction, they are One school with two 4 year campuses.