2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

Started by To be MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone received post-LOR rejection from AZ yet? My LORs were received on 7/19 and no II yet. I guess a rejection is coming soon 🙁
 
Anyone received post-LOR rejection from AZ yet? My LORs were received on 7/19 and no II yet. I guess a rejection is coming soon 🙁

I'm in the same boat.

I'd like to think that we just aren't the cream of the crop, but they may still harvest us soon enough. Weird metaphor. :whistle:
 
Finallllllllly got my pre-interview questionnaire submitted today. Work has just been so busy lately, and I wanted to make sure to do it justice!
 
hey Mayo AZ applicants, I saw this video on facebook and wanted to share it with you all.
also, just wanted to say that as a Mayo med student in MN, I'm really excited about the AZ campus! Those of you who attend will have amazing opportunities there as well as at the other Mayo Clinic locations; since it's a national campus you can travel to MN and FL for selectives and rotations if you desire. As for me, I'll be going to the AZ campus for a selective in a few months to escape the MN winter. I've met some of the faculty/professors who will be with you in AZ next year and they are amazing. You will also have Dr. Michele Halyard as the Vice Dean down at the AZ campus and she is a wonderful and truly inspiring person. You're in good hands!

 
Perhaps it is because I am on iPhone- but I cannot access video

Edit: I can see vid now
hey Mayo AZ applicants, I saw this video on facebook and wanted to share it with you all.
also, just wanted to say that as a Mayo med student in MN, I'm really excited about the AZ campus! Those of you who attend will have amazing opportunities there as well as at the other Mayo Clinic locations; since it's a national campus you can travel to MN and FL for selectives and rotations if you desire. As for me, I'll be going to the AZ campus for a selective in a few months to escape the MN winter. I've met some of the faculty/professors who will be with you in AZ next year and they are amazing. You will also have Dr. Michele Halyard as the Vice Dean down at the AZ campus and she is a wonderful and truly inspiring person. You're in good hands!

 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also got the LOR request early August. As far as I can tell from SDN they haven't sent out any II since the end of July... hopefully there will be more coming soon!
 
I also got the LOR request early August. As far as I can tell from SDN they haven't sent out any II since the end of July... hopefully there will be more coming soon!
Do both campuses make decisions in tandem, i roughly got the request for both of them along the same time.
 
hey Mayo AZ applicants, I saw this video on facebook and wanted to share it with you all.
also, just wanted to say that as a Mayo med student in MN, I'm really excited about the AZ campus! Those of you who attend will have amazing opportunities there as well as at the other Mayo Clinic locations; since it's a national campus you can travel to MN and FL for selectives and rotations if you desire. As for me, I'll be going to the AZ campus for a selective in a few months to escape the MN winter. I've met some of the faculty/professors who will be with you in AZ next year and they are amazing. You will also have Dr. Michele Halyard as the Vice Dean down at the AZ campus and she is a wonderful and truly inspiring person. You're in good hands!



Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to help out us hopefuls.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Taylor Swift?

I have no idea what you are talking about, mostly because I am old and the only tv I get to watch is Sprout, Kids Netflix, and early morning news which keeps talking about Trump and Hillary, Trump and Hillary. I guess I should have said 'if I am accepted I will get rid of snakes in Scottsdale so fast, your head will spin, believe me' or 'I see a lot of snakes, but no snake bites'.

P.S. This is the best humor I can come up with the level of sleep deprivation today. I will probably dream of snakes tonight, adding to sleep deprivation.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
I have no idea what you are talking about, mostly because I am old and the only tv I get to watch is Sprout, Kids Netflix, and early morning news which keeps talking about Trump and Hillary, Trump and Hillary. I guess I should have said 'if I am accepted I will get rid of snakes in Scottsdale so fast, your head will spin, believe me' or 'I see a lot of snakes, but no snake bites'.

P.S. This is the best humor I can come up with the level of sleep deprivation today. I will probably dream of snakes tonight, adding to sleep deprivation.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
This is one of the greatest things I have read on sdn.
 
Well that's annoying. I got a LOE request in July and I had enough letters to be complete, but I was missing one so my app was delayed until today. However, I got an email saying that the letter is invalid!!!! All that trouble and now I can't even use the darn letter... I don't even want to contact him anymore coz I don't want to delay the review process even more. Sigh.
 
So i know on the website for their prereqs they say that you need 1 year of biology with one year of lab...if my school only has a one semester bio lab for both semesters of bio 1 and 2 does that mean i'm out of the running? Do you think if i explained the set up of the bio classes/lab at my school (you do bio 1 and 2 and then a 1 semester bio lab that covers everything we learned in bio 1 and 2) they would understand or is this a hard and fast rule where i'm out of the running now....
 
So i know on the website for their prereqs they say that you need 1 year of biology with one year of lab...if my school only has a one semester bio lab for both semesters of bio 1 and 2 does that mean i'm out of the running? Do you think if i explained the set up of the bio classes/lab at my school (you do bio 1 and 2 and then a 1 semester bio lab that covers everything we learned in bio 1 and 2) they would understand or is this a hard and fast rule where i'm out of the running now....

you should email admissions to ask, but as a current Mayo MN student, I imagine you should be fine because I had almost the exact same situation where my school only offered a 1 semester lab and it was fine.
 
does anyone know how many people get to the committee stage post acceptance of LORs? Based on 276 interviews I am assuming 550~. But I am making this up as I go along.
Mayo Gods Please Bless. Amen.
 
does anyone know how many people get to the committee stage post acceptance of LORs? Based on 276 interviews I am assuming 550~. But I am making this up as I go along.
Mayo Gods Please Bless. Amen.
Well, we really don't know for the AZ school, but you're probably somewhat right if we apply MN history to AZ.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So... has there only been one round of interview invites for the AZ campus? Sorry, I haven't been following these threads and now they're split and there's like a million pages to decipher. I received an II to Mn and now I'm all emotionally invested again.
 
So... has there only been one round of interview invites for the AZ campus? Sorry, I haven't been following these threads and now they're split and there's like a million pages to decipher. I received an II to Mn and now I'm all emotionally invested again.

I think there have been two rounds of II for AZ campus. If I remember correctly, there was one round for people with LORs received late June/early July. The second round was for people with LORs received mid July. My LORs were received on July 19th (II on 8/4).

Mayo-AZ is still reviewing applications I think; most interview dates are still open, so they clearly haven't sent out all their IIs.
 
I think there have been two rounds of II for AZ campus. If I remember correctly, there was one round for people with LORs received late June/early July. The second round was for people with LORs received mid July. My LORs were received on July 19th (II on 8/4).

Mayo-AZ is still reviewing applications I think; most interview dates are still open, so they clearly haven't sent out all their IIs.

This is encouraging! Didn't get LORs received here till 7/28 (didn't know this campus existed, oops) so it's nice to think they maybe haven't passed on me yet.