2016-2017 Mayo (AZ) Medical School Application Thread

Started by To be MD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone who has already interviewed speak to the general schedule of the interview day and what to expect with the interviews? I'm going to Arizona this week and just want to know what I'm in store fore 🙂

All I know is it's going to be hot as hell. I'm going to leave the mayo hotel all crisp and proper, but end up at my interview like a damp luxury towel.

https://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/mms/0/mayo-medical-school seems pretty helpful for some interview day details. I don't know if things are going to be very different given the "new leadership," but I doubt it'll be extraordinarily different.
 
All I know is it's going to be hot as hell. I'm going to leave the mayo hotel all crisp and proper, but end up at my interview like a damp luxury towel.

https://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/mms/0/mayo-medical-school seems pretty helpful for some interview day details. I don't know if things are going to be very different given the "new leadership," but I doubt it'll be extraordinarily different.
It's only in the mid-90s. That's not too bad! lol I've lived in Arizona way too long.....
 
All I know is it's going to be hot as hell. I'm going to leave the mayo hotel all crisp and proper, but end up at my interview like a damp luxury towel.

https://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/mms/0/mayo-medical-school seems pretty helpful for some interview day details. I don't know if things are going to be very different given the "new leadership," but I doubt it'll be extraordinarily different.

I don't know when your interview is, but it's been absolutely fantastic over the last few days. Only the low 90's and 80's! 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone who has already interviewed speak to the general schedule of the interview day and what to expect with the interviews? I'm going to Arizona this week and just want to know what I'm in store fore 🙂
You will get there at 8am. Listen to orientation until 10am. Half of the groups will do interview from 10 to 11 while the other half will tour Scottsdale campus. Then you switch. Interviews are 2 one on one 30 mins interview.

Then you eat lunch, wrap up session and lastly tour of the Phoenix campus. At the end of the Phoenix tour, you can leave straight or come back to Scottsdale and leave.

Does anyone have recommendations for local hotels? The mayo hotel is too expensive at $170/night.

I believe Courtyard Marriott has discounts?
 
You will get there at 8am. Listen to orientation until 10am. Half of the groups will do interview from 10 to 11 while the other half will tour Scottsdale campus. Then you switch. Interviews are 2 one on one 30 mins interview.

Then you eat lunch, wrap up session and lastly tour of the Phoenix campus. At the end of the Phoenix tour, you can leave straight or come back to Scottsdale and leave.



I believe Courtyard Marriott has discounts?

Thanks so much!
 
I'm a reapplicant this year. Letters have been received by both MN and AZ but no II yet. I didn't even get a LOR request last year so I'm hopeful. I applied to a bunch of schools last year and didn't get a single interview. I studied engineering at a tough school so I have a 3.26 GPA which was honors at my school and a 32 MCAT 10PS, 11VR, 11BS. Also have significant research, shadow, volunteer, and work experience so I'm hopeful that Mayo will embrace my non-traditional background. Good luck to everyone else on here.
 
Is there a complete email after the Letters Requested email? Mine were already in AMCAS, so they would've been delivered right away, but I didn't get an email telling me they were received/my file was complete. Thanks!
 
Is there a complete email after the Letters Requested email? Mine were already in AMCAS, so they would've been delivered right away, but I didn't get an email telling me they were received/my file was complete. Thanks!


There is, they send a complete email acknowledging the receipt of your letters
 
There is, they send a complete email acknowledging the receipt of your letters

It took me almost a month to get the letter complete email after the request email.

At AZ my LOR request was 8/10, app complete email was 9/8.

For Minnesota, it first took me a few weeks to verify prerequisites. I got my LOR request 9/6 and file complete on 9/19.

My AMCAS was verified end of July and I got my fee requests early August.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For me it was just really slow. I got mine about 3 weeks after my letters were uploaded on AMCAS.

It took me almost a month to get the letter complete email after the request email.

At AZ my LOR request was 8/10, app complete email was 9/8.

For Minnesota, it first took me a few weeks to verify prerequisites. I got my LOR request 9/6 and file complete on 9/19.

My AMCAS was verified end of July and I got my fee requests early August.

Great, thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about it then, hopefully they'll email me in the next couple weeks. 🙂
 
Great, thanks for the info. I'm not too worried about it then, hopefully they'll email me in the next couple weeks. 🙂
Best of luck. Sounds like they're inundated with applications and running interviews this week. Seems like in the past II came in batches. That's why I asked @MedHopeful09 if more bactches went out last night.
 
Sorry to heart this! Best of luck with the rest of your apps!

Thanks! Sitting on one II makes it sting a bit less 🙂 Congrats on your four though!

Best of luck. Sounds like they're inundated with applications and running interviews this week. Seems like in the past II came in batches. That's why I asked @MedHopeful09 if more bactches went out last night.

I wouldn't know if II's went out last night since they rejected me pre-II lol. 🙁
 
Thanks! Sitting on one II makes it sting a bit less 🙂 Congrats on your four though!



I wouldn't know if II's went out last night since they rejected me pre-II lol. 🙁
Oh, didn't realize that. I thought you were like me and just have had silence. Sorry to hear that. Best of luck.
 
Hopefully more IIs will come soon! This school seems amazing.

As much as I loved not having to write another secondary, I have ties to AZ that aren't in my primary and the lack of secondary means that Mayo has no idea. Pls send love anyway Mayo <3
 
LOR request on 9/17 also but no received email. I got the letters received email from the MN campus 3 days after the request. Wonder what the difference is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally got the LOR received email. About 2 weeks from when my letters were sent in. Does anyone know if they take email updates? I want to update them on a publication and a new job. Thanks!
 
Did any of y'all drive to your interview day? If so, where did you park at the Scottsdale campus? I'm having an issue figuring out where to head once I get there.
 
Rejected around 1:00am. I saw it coming with my low stats, but applied anyway with just a speck of hope. Good luck ya'll!
 
Unless you happen to be the one person who gets interviewed by the Dean or chair of admissions, it's open file except for your GPA/MCAT.
there's one person who gets interviewed by the dean or chair of admissions? and those folks have an open file and gpa/mcat?
 
For Mayo (AZ), I would assume that no news is no action whatsoever? Considering that it seems like they send rejections in real time, I should expect to here one way or another (i.e. rejections are not silent/sent at some later date in the cycle?)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad