2016-2017 Michigan State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just withdrew my acceptance. Goodluck to those on the waitlist!
+1

What were the significant downs of the SDC?
The reason I've chosen another school is the uncertainty of SDC. I'm more of a "read the textbook/study PowerPoints and take the exam" kind of person. I'm concerned with spending a lot of time attending mandatory workshops, classes, meetings, etc that may not help me prepare for step one. All these commitments may be beneficial, make no difference or worst-case be detrimental to my score. I know how I learn best and I'd rather use resources like First Aid, Pathoma, and Sketchy along with class notes to study during pre-clinical years. I don't get the feeling that would be possible with SDC. I've read this forum for years and I've always seen people suggest choosing a school that does not use TBL or PBL. That's not to say there is necessarily something wrong with SDC, but it just isn't the best fit for my learning style. YMMV.

Members don't see this ad.

Spouse job is not a high need category
I guess it doesn't matter.

I ended up withdrawing, hopefully one of you folks on WL get it !

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The sdc is basically a curriculum that is still it's in a pre-production alpha stage. As with any new implementation, you are going to have kinks and dead weigh, however I doubt the program will be a finely greased wheel until they have had a few more rounds of m1s classes. The education itself was extremely frustrating the first half of the year,. They reference multiple chapters for reading and only expect you to learn the learning objectives, essentially fish the text for facts and concepts. This was my number one gripe with sdc, as it doesn't give you a strong wholesome foundation for these topics. This is really frustrating, as when the money they had going towards lectures and PowerPoints is now going towards paying the doctors and MAs at your clinic. I don't know how they made the leap that the knowledge that was otherwise learned in lectures can now be learned/reinforced by going to clinic (remember you are literally just rooming patients and answering phones, hoping to God that you have a nice doctor that offers you chances to sit in with him giving the physical exam). My clinic was only 30 min away, but some people had to drive over an hour to get to theirs. Overall, it's shakey. Everyone has decided to fizzle into their own corner and do whatever it takes to learn outside of class, most of which is subscribing to board prep materials to fill the knowledge gaps. SDC offers a lot of freedom in terms of allowing you to do this, but you feel compelled to pick up board prep and start studying when you see everyone doing it. The fact that there are no domain topic exams is good if you have the discipline to study for an exam that really isn't there, otherwise it becomes really easy to slip if you don't notice it.

Idk, I somewhat adjusted to it now, but if i could go back I feel my learning styles would have been better tested in a school with the traditional lecture, power-point, block exam.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
withdrew as well! good luck to the WL people :)

Have any alternate list people heard anything? Seems very quiet around here...

Are we supposed to send our official transcripts to the school?

I am currently on the alternate list. I have not heard anything from the school, but I have talked to at least 4 people who withdrew.

Can someone please give me some info on housing and finding roommates? Thanks :)

I emailed admissions a month ago and they said they start pulling of WL mid May

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Has anyone heard if they're planning on pulling from the AL this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard if they're planning on pulling from the AL this year?
I called admissions today and I was told that at this point that they do not need to pull from the alternate list because they didn't have as many withdrawals as they expected.

As someone who is on the waitlist with hopes of being taken off, this is disappointing. ^^

As someone who is on the waitlist with hopes of being taken off, this is disappointing. ^^
I was really disappointed when I was told that too. MSU-CHM is my first choice. I'm not sure if anyone got off the waitlist last year because I believe something similar to this happened last year. I'm still holding on to hope though that we will get called!

I was really disappointed when I was told that too. MSU-CHM is my first choice. I'm not sure if anyone got off the waitlist last year because I believe something similar to this happened last year. I'm still holding on to hope though that we will get called!
They over accepted last year and a few people did get off the WL.

Sent from my SM-G935T using SDN mobile

Same here.

Rejected just now. Already been accepted elsewhere though. Good luck to anyone still in the running!