2023-2024 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I found some data from admit.org (Medical School Statistics – Admit.org) about the alternate list. Seems like msu gives alternate list to everyone they interview.

On the website for IS they accept 252 out of the 422 (60%) this includes AL acceptances as well (year 2023).

On March 15th, medical schools need to have at least sent out acceptances equal to matriculation numbers, roughly 160 for MSUCHM IS. Based on past threads, there were only a few acceptances past March 15.

So, for the numbers above, let’s say they accepted 175 IS students in that given year (give or take) not waitlist people btw. This means 247 people were left on the alternate list for IS.

For that year, MSU admitted 252 meaning they accepted 77 (252-175=77) students from the Alternate list eventually got accepted in that given year. So, 77/247 means 31% of alternate list gets an acceptance.

Obviously, these numbers are rough and could change year to year but it made sense to me lol.

Thanks for doing this. I thought it was a lot less. This makes me hopeful for the future
I recall Dr. Maurer saying in a podcast or YT video that they like receiving updates/letters of continued interest so defff recommend submitting those as well if you haven't already.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS interviewed 2/7, Rejected 2/28

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone -

Our groupme got trolled today so we switched it to a closed group. If you're a newly accepted student, please DM me so I can add you to the group!

I see this school does send out Pre-interview Rs

I haven't heard back from the school at all. My application portal has no new updates. Do y'all think this means a silent R for me?

Welcome future Spartan MDs!

Congratulations on your acceptance to MSU College of Human Medicine! On behalf of the MSU CHM Student Council, we're excited to welcome you all to our community. To help you connect with your peers and stay informed about important updates and events, we have established both a Facebook group and a GroupMe chat exclusively for accepted applicants.

Facebook Group: Log into Facebook

GroupMe: GroupMe

These platforms will serve as valuable resources for networking, sharing information, and building relationships with your future classmates. We encourage you to join these communities as soon as possible to start engaging with your fellow accepted applicants! We're here to support you every step of the way.

Once again, congratulations on your acceptance to MSU CHM! We look forward to welcoming you to our campus and witnessing your continued success as a member of our community.

Hey guys, I’m a waitlisted applicant that was waitlisted way back in October after interviewing in September (honestly it feels like a decade ago) and I was wondering if it’d be appropriate to call and ask for an update on the current waitlist process. Since being placed on the alternate list, I’ve submitted an update letter in December, an additional letter of rec, and a letter of intent last week.

Reactions: 1 users
found this recently for those of us on the WL, read the bold

1711381815896.png

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mid August is ridiculous, no? Some schools start as early as July

Reactions: 1 users
Someone got accepted 3 days before the start of classes two years ago

To clarify, I’m pretty sure that says it could be anytime up until that point . I believe the majority of movement in the alternate list happens a little after April 30th.

Hey guys, I’m a waitlisted applicant that was waitlisted way back in October after interviewing in September (honestly it feels like a decade ago) and I was wondering if it’d be appropriate to call and ask for an update on the current waitlist process. Since being placed on the alternate list, I’ve submitted an update letter in December, an additional letter of rec, and a letter of intent last week.
Probably not, they made it clear they don't start accepting off the waitlist until May and I don't think reaching out will change anything. You've already sent in letters of support and intent, they know you still want an opportunity to attend so anything else may seem like you're spamming their office or trying to rush them.

Waitlist committee is meeting April 15th
How do you know this for sure? Did you call? It seems strange they would have the meeting so early when in years past nobody seems to come off the waitlist until the second week of May.

Yeah I called - and it makes sense that they do it in the middle of the month so they have a list of applicants they can send A’s to

Would you happen to know if this means people will start hearing back shortly after, or is this for when things really start ramping up after May 1st?

Most likely beginning May 1st we’ll start hearing back

Just withdrew my A.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey, noticed that msu is listing their tuition as 31,000 dollars now. That is a 15,000+ drop from what they had listed then I applied. Anyone know the story on this?

Hey, noticed that msu is listing their tuition as 31,000 dollars now. That is a 15,000+ drop from what they had listed then I applied. Anyone know the story on this

I’m not 100% sure about this but I think that one or two of the years actually have 3 semesters so you’re paying the 15,000 x3 for those years.

Someone can fact check me

I’m not 100% sure about this but I think that one or two of the years actually have 3 semesters so you’re paying the 15,000 x3 for those years.

Someone can fact check me

I saw that as well, but even then, it would still mean a 30000 dollar cut in tuition compared to what they have been saying their yearly tuition was.