2023-2024 Michigan State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS Pre-II R

Members don't see this ad.

IS alt list today. Interviewed 1/17. Bummed

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I feel like maybe my mcat was the reason I got alt list. Or my interview went bad but I don’t think it went bad at all :(

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like maybe my mcat was the reason I got alt list. Or my interview went bad but I don’t think it went bad at all :(
Oh noooo, I'm so sorry :(
MSU seems to have a complex holistic review process. From what I listened to Dr. Maurer share in a podcast, it's a committee meeting of 15 members + 6 students (who don't have a vote but provide feedback), and an applicant would need a majority vote of at least 9/15 members to vote "yes" on their application post-interview to gain an acceptance. & during the review, they consider all aspects of the application.
Don't be too hard on yourself, and don't try to speculate what went wrong bc it's also very possible that your interview went great and it was simply a tough decision/competitive pool. It also doesn't hurt to submit an updated letter of interest/intent for them to add to your file!

is there some order to how theyre reviewing applications? ive seen people complete before and after me get pre-ii Rs, but so far silence in my case

To anyone who has interviewed, is there a spot where we can upload thank you letters?

Send it to the admissions email and they will upload it to your portal
To anyone who has interviewed, is there a spot where we can upload thank you letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody has any insight re: being on an interview hold?

Anyone know when the decision dates for MSUCHM ADCOMS are? I’m having difficult finding them on the website.

Anyone know when the decision dates for MSUCHM ADCOMS are? I’m having difficult finding them on the website.
I don't believe it was ever posted for this cycle. But I looked at old threads and can tell you that for Spring of 2023 last year, decision notification dates were: 1/18, 1/25, 2/8, 2/22, 3/1, 3/15.
And for Spring of 2022, decision notification dates were: 1/19, 1/26, 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/2, 3/16.

You can try and make predictions based on these patterns. Since they sent decisions last week on 2/7, maybe upcoming dates will be 2/21, 2/28, and 3/13?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything this week?
Haven’t heard anything, it looks like last year they had this week off too, who knows though. Expecting next week they will be getting back to it!

Haven’t heard anything, it looks like last year they had this week off too, who knows though. Expecting next week they will be getting back to it!

Makes sense, hopefully next week! Has anyone not heard back past the 6 week mark they give?

Is there a specific date when waitlist movement will start happening, or can it happen at any time? Thanks!
I think may right? I feel like everybody gets waitlisted after the II here so idk if there’s a lot of movement.

They’ll start accepting off the waitlist April 30th

Is the waitlist a black hole for this school? I got waitlisted way back in October so I’m like wondering how good of a chance I still might have after sending a letter of rec in October and update letter in December, but it seems like everyone who doesn’t get an A gets a WL.

Is the waitlist a black hole for this school? I got waitlisted way back in October so I’m like wondering how good of a chance I still might have after sending a letter of rec in October and update letter in December, but it seems like everyone who doesn’t get an A gets a WL.
Yeah that’s the trend I’ve been noticing

JUST GOT THE A!!! Interviewed 1/26 I’m so happy. 😭😭

Reactions: 5 users
JUST GOT THE A!!! Interviewed 1/26 I’m so happy. 😭😭
Congrats!!! Hoping to hear back today too, I interviewed 1/31 so hopefully they are doing both days

Oh my God I JUST GOT THE A CALL Interviewed 1/31
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone that has been accepted have an MCAT score of around 505 or below? Im wondering if they are waitlisting people who have a lower MCAT or if they are being more holistic. I interviewed 1/17 and still have not heard back

waiting is the worst man, every wednesday and thursday has my BP up

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone that has been accepted have an MCAT score of around 505 or below? Im wondering if they are waitlisting people who have a lower MCAT or if they are being more holistic. I interviewed 1/17 and still have not heard back
I was accepted with a 502

• Care
How many calls do they usually make each decision day does anyone know?

02/07 interview and alternate list, kinda bummed cause I thought I did good :( I have been seeing the discussion and it seems like alternate list is kinda soft R?

02/07 interview and alternate list, kinda bummed cause I thought I did good :( I have been seeing the discussion and it seems like alternate list is kinda soft R?
not to be a pessimist but sadly that’s what i think :/ but stay hopeful I guess. I was waitlisted in October so I kinda subconsciously forgot ab them and don’t really expect anything much

• Care

Not the case at all

Plenty of people get off the waitlist. Look at threads from the past couple years, people were getting accepted left and right after 4/30

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
A lot of us.

• Care
Early Assurance here still waiting for my official acceptance. Especially since my CBC was cleared over 1 month ago.

referred to ABLE today, interviewed 1/17 :') really hope im accepted bc msu is my top choice

Hi! Does anyone know what days we might be getting more A calls? Thank you 😊

I interviewed 1/17 and have not heard anything. Idk if this is good or bad lol
I interviewed the same day and emailed them last week for an update — they told me my application was set to be reviewed soon so its possible they just havent looked at it yet IM LOSING SLEEP

So I found some data from admit.org (Medical School Statistics – Admit.org) about the alternate list. Seems like msu gives alternate list to everyone they interview.

On the website for IS they accept 252 out of the 422 (60%) this includes AL acceptances as well (year 2023).

On March 15th, medical schools need to have at least sent out acceptances equal to matriculation numbers, roughly 160 for MSUCHM IS. Based on past threads, there were only a few acceptances past March 15.

So, for the numbers above, let’s say they accepted 175 IS students in that given year (give or take) not waitlist people btw. This means 247 people were left on the alternate list for IS.

For that year, MSU admitted 252 meaning they accepted 77 (252-175=77) students from the Alternate list eventually got accepted in that given year. So, 77/247 means 31% of alternate list gets an acceptance.

Obviously, these numbers are rough and could change year to year but it made sense to me lol.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
So I found some data from admit.org (Medical School Statistics – Admit.org) about the alternate list. Seems like msu gives alternate list to everyone they interview.

On the website for IS they accept 252 out of the 422 (60%) this includes AL acceptances as well (year 2023).

On March 15th, medical schools need to have at least sent out acceptances equal to matriculation numbers, roughly 160 for MSUCHM IS. Based on past threads, there were only a few acceptances past March 15.

So, for the numbers above, let’s say they accepted 175 IS students in that given year (give or take) not waitlist people btw. This means 247 people were left on the alternate list for IS.

For that year, MSU admitted 252 meaning they accepted 77 (252-175=77) students from the Alternate list eventually got accepted in that given year. So, 77/247 means 31% of alternate list gets an acceptance.

Obviously, these numbers are rough and could change year to year but it made sense to me lol.

Thanks for doing this. I thought it was a lot less. This makes me hopeful for the future