2016-2017 Tufts University Application Thread

Started by WedgeDawg
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait... I thought deferred meant you're accepted planning to go but you're pushing back starting until the following year?

Well yes, the word 'defer' indicates that something is being put off. Now within context... an accepted student can defer matriculation. A committee can also defer an application and put it off for a later time / committee meeting. In this case, we are referring to the latter.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's a nicer way of them telling us we are waitlisted. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe they waitlist people this early?
They will re-review all "deferred" applicants until the late spring, when their waitlist opens up. At any point, the applicants who are deferred can be accepted or rejected, but they can also be continuously deferred until the waitlist opens up.
 
Anyone who interviewed remember what time the day ended? It says around 4:15 in the email and I was curious if that's true. The latest flight back to my city is at 4:55 pm :/
 
I don't
Anyone who interviewed remember what time the day ended? It says around 4:15 in the email and I was curious if that's true. The latest flight back to my city is at 4:55 pm :/
I don't remember exactly what time but sometime around 4. Not early enough for your to catch a 4:55 flight with Boston traffic
 
Anyone who interviewed remember what time the day ended? It says around 4:15 in the email and I was curious if that's true. The latest flight back to my city is at 4:55 pm :/
Check other available interview dates and see if there are later flights for those days.
 
Would you say I have no chance at this school?...MCAT 510 and GPA 3.6 with a strong upward trend. Good undergrad institution (Notre Dame). Currently doing a year of service and wondering if I should upload an update letter. My brother goes to Tufts undergrad and my best friend lives in Boston and Id love to go to this school 🙁

Honest gauge of chances?
 
Would you say I have no chance at this school?...MCAT 510 and GPA 3.6 with a strong upward trend. Good undergrad institution (Notre Dame). Currently doing a year of service and wondering if I should upload an update letter. My brother goes to Tufts undergrad and my best friend lives in Boston and Id love to go to this school 🙁

Honest gauge of chances?

Submitting now is wayyyyyyyyy late
 
No I submitted in July but have not heard anything. Just talking about sending an update letter.

I'm not an expert on this topic, but I feel like we just have to wait. Update letters are good, but only if they are truly substantial.
 
I was complete back in mid-July, 513 MCAT 3.75 GPA, radio silence ever since. Is Tufts still sending out IIs or am I de facto donezo here?
 
I was complete back in mid-July, 513 MCAT 3.75 GPA, radio silence ever since. Is Tufts still sending out IIs or am I de facto donezo here?

On their website, the timeline says they interview through March. I doubt they've given out all the IIs by November.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone complete mid/late Aug gotten II? I don't have much of a chance here, but just seeing if any other people complete when I was have gotten II or if I can still dream.
 
Have any of my fellow maine-trackers heard post II decisions yet? I know they told my group we wouldn't hear until December
 
Did anyone who completed their application around mid-late august hear back with interview invite or rejection? Also, I really want to send a letter of intent for this school because I love it so much.. do you think this is unusual pre-interview?
 
Did anyone who completed their application around mid-late august hear back with interview invite or rejection? Also, I really want to send a letter of intent for this school because I love it so much.. do you think this is unusual pre-interview?

Letter of intents should never be sent pre-II. I believe some people were complete late August and got IIs.
 
Hey, all--

I received a II on 07JUL and had it completed by 08JUL...haven't heard anything back since. Any idea what gives?
 
Hey, all--

I received a II on 07JUL and had it completed by 08JUL...haven't heard anything back since. Any idea what gives?

Sooooo I think you're confusing II (interview invite) with secondary. If that's the case, then you're in the same boat as a lot of people, myself included, who were complete in August and haven't heard back yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sooooo I think you're confusing II (interview invite) with secondary. If that's the case, then you're in the same boat as a lot of people, myself included, who were complete in August and haven't heard back yet.
Easy to get lost in the alphabet soup on the forums. Took me a good month of googling and looking through old threads to figure it all out.
 
Did anyone who completed their application around mid-late august hear back with interview invite or rejection? Also, I really want to send a letter of intent for this school because I love it so much.. do you think this is unusual pre-interview?
Yeah, never do this. Unless you did the MBS program or worked in a lab during undergrad or had some direct specific dealings with the school, how do you know if you love a school? Best practice is to only reach out if you have a substantive update. At that point you can express your continued interest.
 
Yeah, never do this. Unless you did the MBS program or worked in a lab during undergrad or had some direct specific dealings with the school, how do you know if you love a school? Best practice is to only reach out if you have a substantive update. At that point you can express your continued interest.

Would a new volunteering position at a local shelter and poster presentation at a conference be considered as "substantive update?"
 
Hey does anyone know if Tufts does a second look weekend? I didn't see any information about it in the acceptance email or on the portal.
 
Last edited:
I just realized I made a mistake. When writing my secondary, I failed to change the name of the med school from "Loyola" to "tufts". Am I screwed?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just realized I made a mistake. When writing my secondary, I failed to change the name of the med school from "Loyola" to "tufts". Am I screwed?


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So someone did this in the Wake Forest thread (wrote an essay mentioning "Virginia" instead of WFU). A call to the admissions office cleared up the issue, and they got accepted. Not saying you're going to have the same luck, but you should call and explain the mistake (my $.02). I hope Loyola liked your essay!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
So someone did this in the Wake Forest thread (wrote an essay mentioning "Virginia" instead of WFU). A call to the admissions office cleared up the issue, and they got accepted. Not saying you're going to have the same luck, but you should call and explain the mistake (my $.02). I hope Loyola liked your essay!


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Alposworld, thanks for the advice. I will call tomorrow. The rest of you, thanks for being rude, I hope you're never my doctor.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
Alposworld, thanks for the advice. I will call tomorrow. The rest of you, thanks for being rude, I hope you're never my doctor.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
DamSon.jpg