2016-2017 Tulane University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.
Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag me and/or @Ismet and we'll update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how Tulane is going to use the CASPer test? How much it's going to be worth?

Thanks

oh no, not CASPer...that was just a disaster last cycle

Members don't see this ad :)
I know Tulane recommends taking CASPer, but how important is it really? Are they just trying to get more money out of applicants or what?

I only took CASPer for NYMC last year--it's unfortunate to see Tulane is asking for it as well. Just another hoop for students on this path to jump through. I understand that it's difficult to narrow down the applicant pool to extend a reasonable number of interviews but that burden should be on the schools, considering they make a large profit off secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
Casper is such garbage - I don't get me started. And if you need "prep" for it like places are now offering - you most likely need to reassess your moral compass, not study. Then on top of that, they can't even handle the IT part of their online test - with the crashes last year and refund, such a mess.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually cannot find any unique information about the school on their website...

There's unlikely to be anything absolutely unique about one school you won't find anywhere else. Among Tulane's pros (for me when I applied):
- New Orleans
- food in New Orleans
- culture in New Orleans (Mardi Gras, laid back atmosphere, supportive environment)
- 4 yr md/mph option
- underserved focus (lots of opportunities to engage with diverse groups (homeless clinic, Spanish-speaking clinic)
- community health focus
- culinary medicine elective/EC (actually this one is unique to Tulane)

Reactions: 2 users
@neekzg Are you a current student?

I applied and was accepted here this past cycle but matriculating elsewhere. It's a great school, just too far from home and way too expensive.

Okay, let's talk about CASPer... Anyone planning to definitely take OR not take it?

In some ways, I worry that if I don't answer super well.. my app would have looked better without the CASPer results. On the other hand, I am afraid they will look down upon my app for not taking it.

Thoughts?

Okay, let's talk about CASPer... Anyone planning to definitely take OR not take it?

In some ways, I worry that if I don't answer super well.. my app would have looked better without the CASPer results. On the other hand, I am afraid they will look down upon my app for not taking it.

Thoughts?

I'm planning to take it, mostly since I'm doing it for NYMC anyways. The way I look at it is if two apps are exactly the same, except one has no CASPer results and the other has an average score, I feel like the second one would seem more complete and get the II. Just my $0.02 tho

Actually cannot find any unique information about the school on their website...
I'm in the same boat as @neekzg. Loved the school and was accepted, but it's way too expensive. Tulane is one of the most unique med schools there is...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning to take it, mostly since I'm doing it for NYMC anyways. The way I look at it is if two apps are exactly the same, except one has no CASPer results and the other has an average score, I feel like the second one would seem more complete and get the II. Just my $0.02 tho

Thanks for the advice- I agree and will probably end up doing the same!

has anyone done any practice casper test questions besides the sample test provided? I feel like the questions are a lot trickier than what ppl believe them to be.

Anyone have any insight on the letter of recommendation requirements?

From their website:
"Tulane's requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows:

1) A committee letter or a letter of recommendation packet from your pre-medical advising committee

OR

2) A total of three letters of recommendation. Two must be from professors/ professionals of a science background, and the third letter can be from anyone of your choice.

If you are out of school or your undergraduate degree is not science based, then choose 3 professionals that know you well."

I have a degree that isn't science based, but I have 2 science letters I could use, 1 from my major, and 1 from an advisor who knows me EXTREMELY well. I feel like I should submit 1 science, 1 major, and the advisor, but don't want to be at a disadvantage... Anyone else in the same boat?

Anyone have any insight on the letter of recommendation requirements?

From their website:
"Tulane's requirement for letters of recommendation is as follows:

1) A committee letter or a letter of recommendation packet from your pre-medical advising committee

OR

2) A total of three letters of recommendation. Two must be from professors/ professionals of a science background, and the third letter can be from anyone of your choice.

If you are out of school or your undergraduate degree is not science based, then choose 3 professionals that know you well."

I have a degree that isn't science based, but I have 2 science letters I could use, 1 from my major, and 1 from an advisor who knows me EXTREMELY well. I feel like I should submit 1 science, 1 major, and the advisor, but don't want to be at a disadvantage... Anyone else in the same boat?

I feel like this is geared toward non-trads, who tend to have issues getting two science letters (especially career-changers). If you have two science letters go for it. However, since your degree isn't science based I think you have the leeway to use a letter from your major. In any case, use your strongest letters.

Verified 6/7
Just got my secondary! What is CASPer and how important is it that we take it..?

Secondary received! If i am retaking MCAT July 22 would it hurt to submit secondary later? (after I take MCAT) Also what's up with CASPer? When is the ideal time to do it/timeline? And does it cost anything?

Also received the secondary. When it says to list your hobbies and leadership positions, should we indeed make a list (no description or essay format)?

Secondary received! If i am retaking MCAT July 22 would it hurt to submit secondary later? (after I take MCAT) Also what's up with CASPer? When is the ideal time to do it/timeline? And does it cost anything?
No idea exactly what it is, but if you're from the US, it costs $10 and then $10 to send to each school. It's cheap...Just confused as to what it is

NYMC requires the Casper test, so you may want to read through their thread for more information.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Ok, so I accidentally uploaded 4 letters of recommendation. Will they look all four, or should I email them about it and tell them to discard one?

Also received the secondary. When it says to list your hobbies and leadership positions, should we indeed make a list (no description or essay format)?
wondering the same thing... It only gives you 150 words so its not a long description but I feel like they would gain nothing from a simple list of random hobbies with no context. I'm leaning towards the descriptive route of 1-2 important things for each but want to hear what other people are doing for these questions!

wondering the same thing... It only gives you 150 words so its not a long description but I feel like they would gain nothing from a simple list of random hobbies with no context. I'm leaning towards the descriptive route of 1-2 important things for each but want to hear what other people are doing for these questions!

I decided to just list my hobbies and what I'm passionate about outside of school or medicine. They didn't ask us to describe, so I didn't. Listing implies a list. I think they put a 150 words for folks who do a lot of things. But word limits are word limits. I always assume it isn't compulsory you use all the words.

No idea exactly what it is, but if you're from the US, it costs $10 and then $10 to send to each school. It's cheap...Just confused as to what it is

It referring to Casper.

Back to CASPer, where does it say that we have to take it on the secondary. I am not seeing it. And if so, how do we take it?

@someday...8181 I wouldn't worry about it. I did the same last year and had no problems.

I just did paragraph form. I honestly don't think it matters. If they really didn't want you to make a list they wouldn't have said "list".

I just did paragraph form. I honestly don't think it matters. If they really didn't want you to make a list they wouldn't have said "list".
Sorry, I am confused by the logic. You made paragraphs even though you agree they would not have said "list" if they did not want a list?

I am sure either format is fine guys. For what it's worth, I used a list/bullet form last year and received an interview. An actual list is fine.

Sorry, I am confused by the logic. You made paragraphs even though you agree they would not have said "list" if they did not want a list?

A list is sufficient. I chose to write a little more than what was sufficient. I don't think they'll care either way. How's that confusing lol

Can anyone please say where the secondary talks about Casper , I don't see it. Does it say when we need to take it?
Do we need to register for this test?

Can anyone please say where the secondary talks about Casper , I don't see it. Does it say be when we need to take it?
Do we need to register for this test?

It says it at the end of the email notifying you about your secondary:)

Q about URM:
Would Bengali (which is separate from Indian/Paki) and/or Muslim count as underrepresented minority? Thanks!

What are people who aren't diverse putting for the question about diversity? Their prompt seems very specific and I definitely don't fit into any of the categories or URM groups they mention

I applied 6/7 and still haven't received a secondary from Tulane. Anyone else in the same boat?

Based on last year's thread, can anyone who has received the secondary confirm that these are the prompts please? If not, I would tremendously appreciate if they were posted! I won't be verified for another week but want to keep writing.

• Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 Words):
  • Have you graduated? What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words)
  • Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university? Please give a short description (100 Words):
  • List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words):
  • Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (150 words):

Thanks much and good luck everyone!

Based on last year's thread, can anyone who has received the secondary confirm that these are the prompts please? If not, I would tremendously appreciate if they were posted! I won't be verified for another week but want to keep writing.

• Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 Words):
  • Have you graduated? What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words)
  • Are you participating or have you participated in a study abroad program at your university? Please give a short description (100 Words):
  • List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words):

Same prompts!

Mine were similar but not exactly the same. They took out the graduation and study abroad questions.

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 words):

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words)

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (150 words):

Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, and economic background. (60 words)

Reactions: 1 users
Still haven't received their secondary even though I submitted primary on the first day... strange.

Mine were similar but not exactly the same. They took out the graduation and study abroad questions.

Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine (150 words):

List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college (100 words)

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (150 words):

Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, and economic background. (60 words)
You have to say yes to the questions asking about them in order to get those questions to pop up.