2016-2017 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All 350 words max

1. I believe I fit within the UA COM - Phoenix culture because:

2. I feel that the last 12-18 months have confirmed my desire to pursue a career in medicine because:

3. I understand that diversity is defined in many ways at the UA COM - Phoenix and I feel that I would add value to the diverse learning environment and mission because:

4. I feel that the Admissions Committee should know this about me (note: do not repeat any aspect of your primary application or essays provided above):

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Join us now for a LIVE conversation at Twitter.com #uamedphxqa

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Are there any alumni, current students, or faculty on this thread who are available to answer any questions pertaining to this school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the Pathway Scholars program application completed through AMCAS or separately?

That's an excellent question that I don't know the answer to. Having an admin on to answer questions seems like it's an anomaly in the school specific threads so I'm not sure.
Also, one more question. If I have some questions about my application before I submit it, is there a replacement for Wendy Biersch? I met with her once before she left and never had a chance to follow up with her. Thanks!

@WikiJiki I'm a third year here. I'd be more than happy to answer questions if people are patient with me getting back to them.
Hi, thank you for offering! Based on your opinion and your observations thus far, do you know how receptive the school is to older applicants—career changer-types?

Hi, thank you for offering! Based on your opinion and your observations thus far, do you know how receptive the school is to older applicants—career changer-types?

They accepted me last cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, one more question. If I have some questions about my application before I submit it, is there a replacement for Wendy Biersch? I met with her once before she left and never had a chance to follow up with her. Thanks!
There is but I'm not sure exactly who took her place. What I can say that is our admissions team is very receptive. You could email the general admissions email and have your follow up question answered with any of the team.

They seem very receptive. There's a good portion of my class that is nontrad with a healthy mix of traditional students.

There is but I'm not sure exactly who took her place. What I can say that is our admissions team is very receptive. You could email the general admissions email and have your follow up question answered with any of the team.

They seem very receptive. There's a good portion of my class that is nontrad with a healthy mix of traditional students.
Thank you so much! Greatly appreciate this observation from someone like yourself-a current student :)

They accepted me last cycle.
I hope you don't think I'm being rude, and please don't feel like you have to answer, but, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what is your approximate age (late 20's,30's, 40's, etc.)? And, congratulations!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you don't think I'm being rude, and please don't feel like you have to answer, but, if you wouldn't mind sharing, what is your approximate age (late 20's,30's, 40's, etc.)? And, congratulations!!!!!

Early 30's, but I elected not to attend this school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in my early 30s.
Thank you for kindly replying to my questions! I have a couple more, if you're able to reply. Great! Otherwise, I really appreciate your responses!

1. When you were applying here, what drew you to this Institution?
2. Now that you're a student, is (your answer no.1 here) everything you had imagined it to be?
3. If any, what is the most challenging thing about attending school here?

Thank you so much!!!

Thank you for kindly replying to my questions! I have a couple more, if you're able to reply. Great! Otherwise, I really appreciate your responses!

1. When you were applying here, what drew you to this Institution?
2. Now that you're a student, is (your answer no.1 here) everything you had imagined it to be?
3. If any, what is the most challenging thing about attending school here?

Thank you so much!!!

1. The opportunity of being in a huge city with tons of rotation sites is what drew me. I wanted to be able to train at many different types of clinical sites and Phoenix has that.
2. Yeah actually its everything I thought it would be. I thought I would have support from student affairs and I do. I thought I would have many early clinical opportunities that would help me later on and thats true. I've already seen how important it is to rotate at different clinical sites.
3. What's challenging for me is being away from my family. My husband is in another state so its hard to be away from home. My education and my training has been amazing.

Oh, may I ask what made you decide not to attend this school?

1. OOS COA with no financial incentives offered.
2. Lack of central hospital on university campus (personal preference).
3. Focus on simulation as a selling point (again, personal preference, but it just did not "vibe" for me).

I liked the school, but it just wasn't my best "fit" in the end and the cost was undesirable.

1. The opportunity of being in a huge city with tons of rotation sites is what drew me. I wanted to be able to train at many different types of clinical sites and Phoenix has that.
2. Yeah actually its everything I thought it would be. I thought I would have support from student affairs and I do. I thought I would have many early clinical opportunities that would help me later on and thats true. I've already seen how important it is to rotate at different clinical sites.
3. What's challenging for me is being away from my family. My husband is in another state so its hard to be away from home. My education and my training has been amazing.
Thank you once again! How often do you see/visit your family and husband? And, is it difficult to travel during those visits (working around school work, etc.)? I ask because, I am close to family, so this will also affect me similarly (I am from California). But, I'm trying to mentally prepare for it (I don't know how, yet).

1. OOS COA with no financial incentives offered.
2. Lack of central hospital on university campus (personal preference).
3. Focus on simulation as a selling point (again, personal preference, but it just did not "vibe" for me).

I liked the school, but it just wasn't my best "fit" in the end and the cost was undesirable.
Got it! Thank you! Great insight!

Is the school friendly to Californians? Do they like people who are interested in serving the underserved? Also, I finished my prereqs and OChem at a CC, is that an issue?

Is there a maximum number of letter of recommendations UA wants? I've heard different things between max 5 and max 6.

The secondary asks how we fit into UAZs unique culture. Can anyone comment on what is so unique about their culture?

Thank you once again! How often do you see/visit your family and husband? And, is it difficult to travel during those visits (working around school work, etc.)? I ask because, I am close to family, so this will also affect me similarly (I am from California). But, I'm trying to mentally prepare for it (I don't know how, yet).

So I usually fly home around three times a year and he comes here like two or three times. Its not really an issue because you keep busy. He's understanding and very supportive so it has been relatively easy for us to see the light at the end of the tunnel instead of dwelling on being apart at this very moment.

I was in your shoes. I was terrified of being apart but you deal with it. I'm actually flying home at the end of my surgery rotation on July 1st to spend a week at home. You just gotta find time. I'd say we see each other every three months.

So I usually fly home around three times a year and he comes here like two or three times. Its not really an issue because you keep busy. He's understanding and very supportive so it has been relatively easy for us to see the light at the end of the tunnel instead of dwelling on being apart at this very moment.

I was in your shoes. I was terrified of being apart but you deal with it. I'm actually flying home at the end of my surgery rotation on July 1st to spend a week at home. You just gotta find time. I'd say we see each other every three months.
This is comforting to know! Thank you once again!

Hello! If anyone from the school could answer, I'd greatly appreciate it!

For the LoR requirements, one of the letters is highly recommended to be clinical experience. I've worked closely with physicians/nurses in the hospital on multiple clinical projects involving patient care, but I didn't really interact with patients in the hospital. Does that still count? My letter writer would be able to emphasize my ability to work with medical teams, but not patients so I'm worried that the school won't accept my letter. Thank you!

Hello! If anyone from the school could answer, I'd greatly appreciate it!

For the LoR requirements, one of the letters is highly recommended to be clinical experience. I've worked closely with physicians/nurses in the hospital on multiple clinical projects involving patient care, but I didn't really interact with patients in the hospital. Does that still count? My letter writer would be able to emphasize my ability to work with medical teams, but not patients so I'm worried that the school won't accept my letter. Thank you!

I'm only an applicant, but I believe any MD letter should suffice according to their admissions. Many people use an MD letter from a doctor they have shadowed and they were fine

Last edited:
Anyone know what's going on with the schools leadership and how this affects accreditation? I'm OOS but have family in Tucson so I'm looking at both AZ schools, but I'm concerned that so many people have left and there is an investigation going on in Phoenix.

Anyone know what's going on with the schools leadership and how this affects accreditation? I'm OOS but have family in Tucson so I'm looking at both AZ schools, but I'm concerned that so many people have left and there is an investigation going on in Phoenix.

This doesn't affect accreditation. Our interim Dean, Dr. Ramos,is very transparent on everything that is going on. We really are on our way to full accreditation when they visit next year.

Can I have a letter written by a medical student, co-signed by a physician? Would that fulfill the clinical experience letter or does it need to be singed only by the physician? Also, can I use a DO letter for that purpose?

This doesn't affect accreditation. Our interim Dean, Dr. Ramos,is very transparent on everything that is going on. We really are on our way to full accreditation when they visit next year.

I was looking at the website and it seems everyone is temporary/interim. How does everyone feel about that?? I'm worried that the people there are in tough positions to deal with a lot without experience.

I was looking at the website and it seems everyone is temporary/interim. How does everyone feel about that?? I'm worried that the people there are in tough positions to deal with a lot without experience.

Well that's not necessarily true that they don't have a lot of experience. I'll give you an example. Our Dean of Student Affairs is Dr. Kaib. She has been involved in student affairs for over a year as an advisor. She knows what is going on and what is expected of her. That's a smooth transition. The new dean of admissions has been involved with admissions so they know as well. Its not like they just pick anyone but they pick people who they know can step up to the position.

I'm only an applicant, but I believe any MD letter should suffice according to their admissions. Many people use an MD letter from a doctor they have shadowed and they were fine

Really? How would shadowing be useful if you aren't doing anything? I know that it's an exception for DO letters but for the purposes of MD schools...I don't see how a shadowing letter could be anything worth value.

Really? How would shadowing be useful if you aren't doing anything? I know that it's an exception for DO letters but for the purposes of MD schools...I don't see how a shadowing letter could be anything worth value.

The purpose of a clinical letter is to demonstrate how you work in a clinical environment. Some people used letters they got from their scribbing experiences, some were clinical volunteering experiences, and my letter was from a work experience. Shadowing letters just to get one from a MD or DO doesn't really speak to your ability to work in a clinical setting.

This isn't just getting a MD letter to get a MD letter so I totally agree with you.

Secondary received tonite. Let's do it!

Secondary received this morning

All 350 words max

1. I believe I fit within the UA COM - Phoenix culture because:

2. I feel that the last 12-18 months have confirmed my desire to pursue a career in medicine because:

3. I understand that diversity is defined in many ways at the UA COM - Phoenix and I feel that I would add value to the diverse learning environment and mission because:

4. I feel that the Admissions Committee should know this about me (note: do not repeat any aspect of your primary application or essays provided above):

@WedgeDawg @Ismet

@BamaNicole Hey, I just received a secondary and maybe you can offer some advice? Is it okay to use anecdotes or personal experiences to answer some of these questions? They all end with "because," so I feel like I should just answer the question precisely without going into detail of what experiences have lead me to a certain conclusion. For instance, if I say that my engagement with patients over the last two years have strengthened my desire to pursue medicine, should I then provide deeper insight by describing one of my most meaningful or challenging patient encounters? I don't want my essays to sound too fluffy, but the questions are also very open-ended. So, I am a little uncertain how to tackle them.

What does the school mean when it says you only need 1 out of a minimum of 3 letters to be considered for the next step of the process? Does that mean I can submit a letter, get an interview, and then provide my other 2 letters before they give an acceptance?

@BamaNicole Hey, I just received a secondary and maybe you can offer some advice? Is it okay to use anecdotes or personal experiences to answer some of these questions? They all end with "because," so I feel like I should just answer the question precisely without going into detail of what experiences have lead me to a certain conclusion. For instance, if I say that my engagement with patients over the last two years have strengthened my desire to pursue medicine, should I then provide deeper insight by describing one of my most meaningful or challenging patient encounters? I don't want my essays to sound too fluffy, but the questions are also very open-ended. So, I am a little uncertain how to tackle them.

I would provide the deeper insight since it would be relevant but make sure you directly answer the question. Providing insight can help admissions see what your experiences are.

What does the school mean when it says you only need 1 out of a minimum of 3 letters to be considered for the next step of the process? Does that mean I can submit a letter, get an interview, and then provide my other 2 letters before they give an acceptance?

Exactly right. They need one to be able to offer you an interview but for an acceptance they will need all the required letters.

Anyone else get an error when trying to pay the fee online that says "you are not authorized to view this page" when I click proceed to payment.

----Nevermind, I was able to login again and this time it worked.

I would provide the deeper insight since it would be relevant but make sure you directly answer the question. Providing insight can help admissions see what your experiences are.

Exactly right. They need one to be able to offer you an interview but for an acceptance they will need all the required letters.

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if there is a preference on letters pre-interview? I have 2 sci, 1 non-sci, and a letter from my director of a hospital (he's a patient care manager). He has seen me work with doctors and nurses but not really with patients so I don't know if that's considered "clinical." I just started scribing so I can send an updated LOR sometime after the interview if I get one. Do you think that would be acceptable?

Thanks for the reply! Do you know if there is a preference on letters pre-interview? I have 2 sci, 1 non-sci, and a letter from my director of a hospital (he's a patient care manager). He has seen me work with doctors and nurses but not really with patients so I don't know if that's considered "clinical." I just started scribing so I can send an updated LOR sometime after the interview if I get one. Do you think that would be acceptable?

I'd send whatever you can now and send the updated letter later.

Not a majorly important question, but are people writing their "because..." essays as if they are legitimately picking up midway through that sentence, or are they just starting with a fresh sentence like any other essay?

Hey applicants! I'm a current MS2 and would be happy to answer any questions! Good luck!

Hey applicants! I'm a current MS2 and would be happy to answer any questions! Good luck!

Any advice on how to answer the question "How do you fit within the UA COM-Phoenix culture?"....should I just share my life story to demonstrate my diverse experiences?

Any advice on how to answer the question "How do you fit within the UA COM-Phoenix culture?"....should I just share my life story to demonstrate my diverse experiences?

Take a look at the website and get a feel for what our student culture is like....see what is offered or what seems to be important.

Do you feel connected to any of it? That's how you write to demonstrate you fit in

Take a look at the website and get a feel for what our student culture is like....see what is offered or what seems to be important.

Do you feel connected to any of it? That's how you write to demonstrate you fit in

That's exactly what I did. I love what the school stands for. But, I am more of a creative writer. For example, I like to introduce an example of scenarios in which I've shown collaboration, altruism, or why I'm a diverse individual. So, instead of saying "I want to promote the UofA's mission of increasing diversity by....."
I would just talk about my life experiences first and how I can use them to promote diversity in general.