2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when the next adcom meeting is? Speculations? I was thinking 03/16?

Members don't see this ad.

I called admissions today and was told we have 2 weeks from when the acceptance mail was sent out to accept admission. Not 2 weeks from when the acceptance email was sent.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I called admissions today and was told we have 2 weeks from when the acceptance mail was sent out to accept admission. Not 2 weeks from when the acceptance email was sent.

Did they happen to mention when the packets were sent out?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For those accepted on 2/16/17, the packet showed up in the mail today. It was dated 2/28/17 and we have until 3/14/17 to get it back to the admissions office. It has some forms to fill out (campus preference, response to offer of admission, etc.). Hope that helps.

For those accepted on 2/16/17, the packet showed up in the mail today. It was dated 2/28/17 and we have until 3/14/17 to get it back to the admissions office. It has some forms to fill out (campus preference, response to offer of admission, etc.). Hope that helps.
Yup, got and returned my packet yesterday :)

Withdrawing from Chicago campus acceptance soon! Hope my spot goes to somebody who really wants to stay in the city.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if, within each acceptance cohort (i.e. all the other people who received acceptances on 2/16), the campus placements are considered together, or do they place applicants by who sends back the materials first? My packet was sent to my permanent home, and now I'm going to have to wait for them to send it to my current address for me to fill out. It would suck if I didn't get my site of choice just because of this delay.

For those of you that have some background info on the UMED and GMED programs, do you happen to know how competitive they are to get into? Extremely interested in both of those programs and just wanted to get a sense of how many people typically apply for these programs.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been reviewed by this school, and they haven't rejected me yet nor have they extended an interview. I wish I knew even it is a rejection.

Reactions: 1 users
last interview on 3/20 fyi since I interviewed there this past thur

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy to say I received my packet yesterday! I see the sheet detailing the immunization requirements, but I don't see anything about submitting the information. Based on earlier posts, I know we submit it through castle branch. Maybe I am missing a sheet in my packet?
I am planning to call tomorrow to ask, but I wanted to check with my fellow SDNers first. :)

Last edited:
I have been reviewed by this school, and they haven't rejected me yet nor have they extended an interview. I wish I knew even it is a rejection.

Me too. I'm stressed out waiting. Considering that I submitted my primary, secondary, and CASPER way back in the summer of 2016, I'm wondering what is going on with my application. Clearly, I'm not the creme de la creme since I didn't find out by Thanksgiving, but I'm wondering if I even have a shot since it's March. I've already begun studying for the MCAT again, but each day, I check my email with trepidation.

FYI: Portal shows some slots available for the 4/10 date in Chicago

Interesting. I interviewed Feb 6th and they also told us that the last interviews would be held around mid March. They also told us that we would have a final decision by end of February which hasn't happened either lol

Has anyone else received this email?
"We would like to let you know that your application is still under consideration and that as soon as we complete the interview process in March we will have an update for you. We know that this is a very strenuous time for you, but were hoping to alleviate some of the stress by letting you know that you are in a very select group of excellent individuals under active consideration to become a member of our Fall 2017 class. Thank you for your interest in the University of Illinois College of Medicine."

I got it on Feb. 3rd and am wondering if it means a "hold" or a waitlist or something like that. Maybe it's too early to assume any of that? Not sure why it says "very select group of individuals" though. I'm probably reading too much into it lol

When did you interview?

Look on the last page and you'll see that a several of us have received that email. I'm on the skeptical side with how hopeful I should be or how significant this email is.

I personally find the language of the email ("hoping to alleviate some stress", "very select group of excellent individuals") frustrating since it implies we are in a good position while being very vague about the likelihood of an acceptance. Why hype it up like that or tell us we should feel better if there's still a very real possibility that we'll be rejected or waitlisted in the end? The email could have simply stated ~"you aren't rejected/waitlisted yet, but you'll get an update in March"

Regardless, it's still good news. I'm just bitter about how it leads you on lol

so it's march. does anybody think we'll hear next thursday or probably not until april since it seems like 3/20 is the last interview? has anyone called the admissions office to find out more about this? i'm wondering if any of us will be accepted in time to go to second look day

Has anyone been invited to interview for like UMed or any other Chicago based programs? (Also if you have do you mind sharing what campus you were originally assigned to :) )

so it's march. does anybody think we'll hear next thursday or probably not until april since it seems like 3/20 is the last interview? has anyone called the admissions office to find out more about this? i'm wondering if any of us will be accepted in time to go to second look day

April 10th is the last interview date as of now. Some II went out today

Last edited:

I'm thinking we won't hear till April's meeting. But I'm feeling pessimistic lol

but has anyone who received this hold/wait for answer in march email tried calling the admissions office to ask about it?

I have a question for any recently accepted students. I have been looking back through this thread and note references to Castle Branch. I'm assuming that this is the vendor UIC uses to collect our information about immunizations and drug screens. I don't have any information as to how or when to access it, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the process? Granted, I just sent my deposit and campus preferences back late last week. I'm sure more information will be forthcoming from UIC, so I apologize if this seems neurotic. I don't want to inadvertently miss a deadline though. Thanks to anyone who can elaborate on this.

I have a question for any recently accepted students. I have been looking back through this thread and note references to Castle Branch. I'm assuming that this is the vendor UIC uses to collect our information about immunizations and drug screens. I don't have any information as to how or when to access it, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the process? Granted, I just sent my deposit and campus preferences back late last week. I'm sure more information will be forthcoming from UIC, so I apologize if this seems neurotic. I don't want to inadvertently miss a deadline though. Thanks to anyone who can elaborate on this.
That info came in the packet with your acceptance.

So does anyone know anything about scholarships? Did anyone receive scholarships with their award information?

That info came in the packet with your acceptance.

No, it didn't. Mine only had a list of requirements. Maybe there was another page that didn't make it into my packet. Thanks for the information, though.

I think in previous years, a later email was sent out with info. No rush guys.

No, it didn't. Mine only had a list of requirements. Maybe there was another page that didn't make it into my packet. Thanks for the information, though.

Yea, mine was lacking this information too.

Mine didn't come with the information either. I called admissions and she said to make an account with castle branch. However, she didn't give me the code needed, so I will have to call again later. She did say that it costs $30 to sign up and it isn't due until July so we have plenty of time.

Has anyone been invited to interview for like UMed or any other Chicago based programs? (Also if you have do you mind sharing what campus you were originally assigned to :) )
They're already sending out interviews? I haven't even submitted my application :/

I do not know officially my campus placement but when I log in myuic.edu I can see "COM Chicago" tab (see image), and my financial award letter says "Site: Chicago".

Is this set up by default or am I really placed in Chicago?

Also called admission today because it looks like they forgot to send me the "castlebranch" immunization paperwork in my acceptance packet...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 11.26.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 11.26.04 PM.png
    170.7 KB · Views: 82
Hey guys! So I didn't receive anything in my packet from 'Castlebranch' for immunizations, but when I go to the admissions page it says to submit immunizations through 'certifiedbackground.com'. Does anyone knows if this is the way to do it? They did send me a login ID for the 'myUIC' portal, but it doesn't says 'castlebranch' anywhere. I figured I would ask here before calling admissions.
Also, Mr.Caffeine I was placed in Chicago and in myuic.edu it says COMChicago as well, so that probably means you are placed there?

They're already sending out interviews? I haven't even submitted my application :/

I believe they have already sent some out to people, last time I checked with the office.

OK for real how important are these programs? Is this something that a lot of people do?

You do not have to apply to the programs only do it if you are interested/have a passion in what they stand for.

I did not receive any information about Castle Branch. I have a hunch that Castle Branch things have to do with your campus placement.... It seems like through this thread that only Chicago placements have gotten information about doing their immunizations! (could be wrong though) I have been placed in Peoria :)soexcited:) and did not receive anything about this, so I am not going to worry about it until I am told to worry about it.

I do not know officially my campus placement but when I log in myuic.edu I can see "COM Chicago" tab (see image), and my financial award letter says "Site: Chicago".

Is this set up by default or am I really placed in Chicago?.

My UIC account also has the COM Chicago tab, but I am placed in Peoria... so I think it is a default setting

Hello, everyone!

I just got an email from SDN and decided to check my account.

I am a M1 at the Urbana campus who is Rockford bound next year.

I can answer questions if you cannot find the info somewhere else.

Any RMEDers in here?

Hello, everyone!

I just got an email from SDN and decided to check my account.

I am a M1 at the Urbana campus who is Rockford bound next year.

I can answer questions if you cannot find the info somewhere else.

Any RMEDers in here?
Where do most students live on the Rockford campus?

Where do most students live on the Rockford campus?

Housing is cheap in Rockford. We were informed to stay East of the river and North of the railway. There are apartments/houses/condos within 2-10 walking mins of campus. Check out Zillow or the below Facebook page to find a good deal. I would recommend spending a bit more to be in a situation that is quiet and stress-free.

Good luck.

https://www.facebook.com/UIRockfordHousing/

Housing is cheap in Rockford. We were informed to stay East of the river and North of the railway. There are apartments/houses/condos within 2-10 walking mins of campus. Check out Zillow or the below Facebook page to find a good deal. I would recommend spending a bit more to be in a situation that is quiet and stress-free.

Good luck.

https://www.facebook.com/UIRockfordHousing/

I've lived in Rockford for a long time. If you have any questions about neighborhoods you can PM me. But East of the river and North of the railway is a good start.

I interviewed at the Chicago campus on 2/1 and was promised by the school that we would hear back by the end of February. Well it's about to be two full weeks into March and I've yet to get any sort of response or change in my applicant status page. Should I take this as a sign of being waitlisted?