2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at the Chicago campus on 2/1 and was promised by the school that we would hear back by the end of February. Well it's about to be two full weeks into March and I've yet to get any sort of response or change in my applicant status page. Should I take this as a sign of being waitlisted?

Maybe you just weren't reviewed at the February meeting? I think they meet every third Thursday and I was hoping that meant that us early March folks would hear after the March meeting but I'm not sure about that if February folks haven't heard anything. Have you checked the portal? They update that first then mail decisions. It doesn't tell you what the decision was but it gives you a hint and other posters have put up a guide on how to interpret what the portal days into your likely decision.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you just weren't reviewed at the February meeting? I think they meet every third Thursday and I was hoping that meant that us early March folks would hear after the March meeting but I'm not sure about that if February folks haven't heard anything. Have you checked the portal? They update that first then mail decisions. It doesn't tell you what the decision was but it gives you a hint and other posters have put up a guide on how to interpret what the portal days into your likely decision.

Yea I keep checking the portal and all it says is decision pending

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at the Chicago campus on 2/1 and was promised by the school that we would hear back by the end of February. Well it's about to be two full weeks into March and I've yet to get any sort of response or change in my applicant status page. Should I take this as a sign of being waitlisted?
This school lies like a rug about when you'll hear back. In October I was told "you'll hear back right after Thanksgiving". Every month after that they said "check back next month". Here I am in March...

Reactions: 3 users
^no more than a week or so. There's only a few posts on it now (people selling $400,000 apartments), so you aren't missing much.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if interviews from 3/2 will hear back this week? So nervous idk if I can wait another few weeks haha! Best of luck to you all :)

Does anyone know if interviews from 3/2 will hear back this week? So nervous idk if I can wait another few weeks haha! Best of luck to you all :)

Idk maybe. U can never really know in this application **** show. Be patient. I also interviewed 3/2 in Rockford. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty sure it'll be at least 4 weeks. I interviewed 3/1 and she said the admissions committee won't meet till late March. Hang in there ;)

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 2/17. I wonder if we'll hear back today.

Members don't see this ad :)
In past years, have people who got the email about being reviewed after all interviews actually received acceptances?

In past years, have people who got the email about being reviewed after all interviews actually received acceptances?
Yes I believe so. Did you get a review email? When did you interview and when did you receive this email?

So it seems like it's all quiet on the midwestern front today for me (interviewed 3/3). Anyone earlier hear back?

So it seems like it's all quiet on the midwestern front today for me (interviewed 3/3). Anyone earlier hear back?
I interviewed 2/23 and didn't hear anything...super nervous haha it's the 3rd Thursday of the month what is happening?!

I totally thought we would hear back today. I heard they sent out decisions on the third Thursday of every month. I've been waiting since 2/17.

Yes I believe so. Did you get a review email? When did you interview and when did you receive this email?
I interviewed the very beginning of November and I got the email in early Feb.

Does anybody know if there is mandatory attendance for lectures and if they have internal rankings during preclinical years? I don't really know too much about their new curriculum.

Does anybody know if there is mandatory attendance for lectures and if they have internal rankings during preclinical years? I don't really know too much about their new curriculum.
would like to know as well... hopefully website will be updates soon

So when I interviewed I was told that attendance is not mandatory, and the recorded lectures get uploaded ~30-40min after class is over. I was also told that some professors choose not to record their lectures. I'm not sure if this is true across all campuses or just Rockford. As far as rankings go they do have them, but as far as grading goes they only have O(outstanding - It's like 2 standard deviations above the mean I believe but don't quote me on that b/c I can't remember fully lol) Pass and Fail.

Again, not sure if the above info I just mentioned is the same across all campuses, but when we had our presentation they told us the curriculum was now being updated to be the exact same across campuses so that everyone goes at the same pace. Hope this helps! :)

So when I interviewed I was told that attendance is not mandatory, and the recorded lectures get uploaded ~30-40min after class is over. I was also told that some professors choose not to record their lectures. I'm not sure if this is true across all campuses or just Rockford. As far as rankings go they do have them, but as far as grading goes they only have O(outstanding - It's like 2 standard deviations above the mean I believe but don't quote me on that b/c I can't remember fully lol) Pass and Fail.

Again, not sure if the above info I just mentioned is the same across all campuses, but when we had our presentation they told us the curriculum was now being updated to be the exact same across campuses so that everyone goes at the same pace. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the info. Ill be sure to ask again during second look day I guess.

Does anyone know if adcom even met yesterday? I know everyone says they meet the 3rd Thursday of the month but still no update on my end :/ Anyone hear back yet?

Does anyone know if adcom even met yesterday? I know everyone says they meet the 3rd Thursday of the month but still no update on my end :/ Anyone hear back yet?
I called the admissions today and the lady told me they don't let them know if the adcoms met. All we can do now is keep checking the status page for a change. If not, you have to wait for another month.

From what I've heard, nobody heard back yesterday! I interviewed 2/23 and thought I'd get an email yesterday and didn't...no idea when we're gonna hear now :(

I called two days ago and the lady told me that the adcom may make their decisions as late as the 3rd thursday in April. You know, 10 days before the traffic deadline.

Great "system" they have at this school. They get the whole year to decide if they want us, we get 10 days to decide if we want them. And if it's true that we have to find out campus assignments by snail mail, they'll be wanting us to commit without even knowing what city we'll be living in.

Are they intentionally trying to get a crappy yield from acceptees? Or do they just not GAF?

Has anyone received UMED interview invites yet?

I've been wondering, because it will suck if they send out invites a week before 2nd look and the ticket prices surge for us OOS students.

I called two days ago and the lady told me that the adcom may make their decisions as late as the 3rd thursday in April. You know, 10 days before the traffic deadline.

Great "system" they have at this school. They get the whole year to decide if they want us, we get 10 days to decide if we want them. And if it's true that we have to find out campus assignments by snail mail, they'll be wanting us to commit without even knowing what city we'll be living in.

Are they intentionally trying to get a crappy yield from acceptees? Or do they just not GAF?
They did tell us that we would hear by the end of march. (Interviewed 2/17). I just thought we would hear last thursday. I hope they don't wait until april to tell us. That would be very frustrating.

I read somewhere earlier in the thread that the committee meets sometimes on the 4th Thursday of the month on months where there are 5 weeks instead of 4. So it might be that they meet the second to last Thursday each month, which means they might meet next Thursday if they make decisions this month? All we can do is wait and see i suppose...

I read somewhere earlier in the thread that the committee meets sometimes on the 4th Thursday of the month on months where there are 5 weeks instead of 4. So it might be that they meet the second to last Thursday each month, which means they might meet next Thursday if they make decisions this month? All we can do is wait and see i suppose...
This week is their spring break so I have little hope for a Thursday meeting :( maybe next week? I looked at last year's thread and they gave out decisions the third Friday ~sigh~ lol

They did tell us that we would hear by the end of march. (Interviewed 2/17). I just thought we would hear last thursday. I hope they don't wait until april to tell us. That would be very frustrating.

Yeah it's especially frustrating because you interviewed in February! Doesnt make sense for you to wait 2 months.

I was told I would hear shortly after thanksgiving (interviewed Oct).

Very funny joke!

Yes, IMED.
Did you get a response back from the director of the IMED program after emailing your availability and interview time preference? I emailed the director back the same day I received the invite but did not receive a response or confirmation.

Did you get a response back from the director of the IMED program after emailing your availability and interview time preference? I emailed the director back the same day I received the invite but did not receive a response or confirmation.

Nope, no confirmation either.

Accepted 2/16, just received site placement at Rockford. I think I've checked the mail more regularly in the past month than my entire life

I'm still waiting to hear back. Anyone hear back from any of the other programs?

UMED said they received my app and GMED responded saying they don't consider candidates who haven't been accepted to the school yet. That's all

Can anyone confirm if the new curriculum at the Peoria campus for sure requires summer classes after M1? I was speaking with a financial aid advisor and she mentioned it... I wonder what it will require?

Can anyone confirm if the new curriculum at the Peoria campus for sure requires summer classes after M1? I was speaking with a financial aid advisor and she mentioned it... I wonder what it will require?

Based on my understanding from the talk during interview day, all campuses have required summer courses between M1 and M2. The summer session should allow them to fit the didactic years into 18 months for earlier (and more) clinical exposure after that.

Based on my understanding from the talk during interview day, all campuses have required summer courses between M1 and M2. The summer session should allow them to fit the didactic years into 18 months for earlier (and more) clinical exposure after that.

Hi all,

tl;dr:
Because of the new curriculum across all campuses, our academic year is longer, but we still have an 8-week break for summer. Our M1 classes will end on June 22, 2018 instead of early May. M2 classes start on August 20, 2018. This ultimately translates to more clinical flexibility and exposure in our M3 and M4 years as @hapa mentioned in the quote because our M3 year starts about two months earlier.

Details:
I called UIC and got some info about this. I spoke with someone from UIC COM Curricular Affairs. She gave me permission to share this information, but please keep in mind that nothing is really official unless you hear it from UIC directly. My disclaimer is that I might have misunderstood something or things might change from what she told me. Please take all this with a grain of salt, but hopefully it gives you a high-level perspective of the changes.
  • There is a unified curriculum between the three campuses (Chicago, Peoria, Rockford), which is brand new for 2017. Dean Curry (Senior Associate Dean for Educational Affairs) helped create the new curriculum. He created a similar longitudinal curriculum at Northwestern before this so he has prior experience. He'll probably speak at Second Look day and can answer questions.
  • New curriculum information has not been posted on the website yet, but they're working on it. Because the information affects all three campuses, it takes more coordination to get published. This is the reason for the delay.
  • There are multiple reasons for the lengthening of the academic year (probably not a complete list):
    • Ultimately, our M3 year will start sometime in April 2019 instead of the third week of June 2019. This gives us more flexibility and time for clinical exposure in our M3 and M4 years. (This sounded like the main reason.)
    • New curriculum changes
    • She mentioned the following, but they seem more like side effects than actual reasons:
      • Shorter lapses in health insurance during the summer (This probably only affects students who aren't on their parents' insurance. This was a little unclear.)
      • Because financial aid is only given during the academic year, a shorter summer might help ease the financial burden when there's no aid, e.g. students who don't live with their parents but still have to pay for rent and food. (I think this is what she said. It was a little unclear too.)
  • Academic calendar (might not be complete):
    • 8/7/17 - 8/11/17, orientation
    • 8/14/17, first day of M1 classes
    • 11/20/17 - 11/24/17, Thanksgiving break (full week)
    • 12/18/17 - 1/1/18, winter break
    • 4/23/18 - 4/27/18, spring break (she said that spring break is new for COM this year)
    • 6/22/18, last day of M1 class (I'm guessing this is the last day of exams; she wasn't specific)
    • 6/23/18 - 8/19/18, summer vacation
    • 8/20/18, M2 start
    • April 2019, M3 start (instead of the third week of June 2019)
So... I apologize in advance if I got something wrong or if you have more questions than answers. The woman at Curricular Affairs was really nice and helpful. She was really willing to give information, but because UIC COM spans three campuses, she said it can be hard. I hope the school doesn't get bombarded with questions/phone calls because of this post, so if it's not urgent, please see if you can wait until Second Look day to ask questions or wait until the website is updated. :)

Reactions: 7 users
What is everyone doing about housing? Any good recommendations near the school?

What is everyone doing about housing? Any good recommendations near the school?
Not sure about other campuses, but if you're looking at Chicago, the Taylor street/Little Italy neighborhood is nearby/walkable and pretty nice/reasonably priced (given that it's in the city and YMMV).

If you're a bit more adventurous, the campus is close to the Polk pink line and Illinois Medical District blue line stop on the el which opens up some further neighborhoods that still would not require a car for commuting. I'd be happy to discuss Chicago neighborhoods, but might be better for a pm less the thread gets derailed and Wrigleyville advocates get offended.