2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is the CE-Med program only going to be taking place on the Chicago campus? The interview email I received mentioned that "this unique track is for students across all three campuses, and you will have an opportunity to work with your colleagues in Rockford and Chicago." Not sure if that implies that there will be a CE-Med program on all three campuses, or that all students have the same opportunity, regardless of campus assignment, to be selected for the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is the CE-Med program only going to be taking place on the Chicago campus? The interview email I received mentioned that "this unique track is for students across all three campuses, and you will have an opportunity to work with your colleagues in Rockford and Chicago." Not sure if that implies that there will be a CE-Med program on all three campuses, or that all students have the same opportunity, regardless of campus assignment, to be selected for the program.

So I talked with the director today and your tract will not change all the schools will have it.

UMed interviews will take place on "second look" day which is Friday, April 21st at the Chicago campus. You can schedule the interview through Justine. And if you are accepted you get relocated to the Chicago campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Are GMED, UMED, and IMED the programs that are only going to take place in Chicago as CE-Med will be taking place on all three campuses?

UMed interviews will take place on "second look" day which is Friday, April 21st at the Chicago campus. You can schedule the interview through Justine. And if you are accepted you get relocated to the Chicago campus.
So if you're invited to interview for any of these programs does that mean you should attend second look day in Chicago (outside of the interview itself) even if you were placed at a different campus?

I called today and the lady said to call on Thurs between 10-4 and ask for "Gary" to do a status check. No promises on anything resembling a final decision, though....

Reactions: 4 users
GMed interview invite just now! I emailed UMed earlier today and was told that they are still reviewing applicants and plan to finalize invites by this Friday.

Can anyone provide some insight into how dangerous Chicago is vs Rockford. I'm kinda basing my decision off of that when ranking the campuses.

GMed interview invite just now! I emailed UMed earlier today and was told that they are still reviewing applicants and plan to finalize invites by this Friday.
Congrats! Are they still sending out IIs for GMed or are they done now?

Can anyone provide some insight into how dangerous Chicago is vs Rockford. I'm kinda basing my decision off of that when ranking the campuses.

I live four blocks from the Chicago campus. As long as you don't go west of Western or too far south you're fine. That said I wouldn't go wandering around the medical district or Tri-Taylor (neighborhood directly west of campus) by myself late at night.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Not really sure what kind of response you're hoping for here. One is the third largest city in the United States and one is a suburb. Chicago as a large metropolitan area obviously has more crime than the other just based on size and diversity in population. I'm not saying Rockford is like a giant gated community, but "dangerous" is definitely a loaded term. It also depends on where you choose to live in both of these cities. You can Google and get articles that back up "dangerousness" on both sides:

Crime in Chicago -- Chicago Tribune

UIC Student Forced Into Car At Gunpoint Twice In Two Days, Police Say

2016 was 2nd deadliest in Rockford's history

I live four blocks from the Chicago campus. As long as you don't go west of Western or too far south you're fine. That said I wouldn't go wandering around the medical district or Tri-Taylor (neighborhood directly west of campus) by myself late at night.

Not really sure what kind of response you're hoping for here. One is the third largest city in the United States and one is a suburb. Chicago as a large metropolitan area obviously has more crime than the other just based on size and diversity in population. I'm not saying Rockford is like a giant gated community, but "dangerous" is definitely a loaded term. It also depends on where you choose to live in both of these cities. You can Google and get articles that back up "dangerousness" on both sides:

Crime in Chicago -- Chicago Tribune

UIC Student Forced Into Car At Gunpoint Twice In Two Days, Police Say

2016 was 2nd deadliest in Rockford's history
Thank you this is very helpful

Thank you!

Has anyone received a confirmation email from Dr. Kotche about scheduling an IMED interview. I got the initial email saying I was selected for an interview and I responded, but nothing after that....

Interviewed on 2/1/17 and have yet to hear back at all or see a change in my application portal. Is the silent treatment a good thing?

Reactions: 2 users
I called today and the lady said to call on Thurs between 10-4 and ask for "Gary" to do a status check. No promises on anything resembling a final decision, though....
Hah I got the exact same response. Who volunteers to call tomorrow? :rolleyes:

If someone will give me the number I'll call and see what Gary has to say

ImageUploadedBySDN1490880219.541480.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
Can any M2 or M1 students speak to the GMED interview?

I received the interview invite this week :soexcited:and it's a program I'm extremely interested in. I'm trying to anticipate the interview style and the kind of questions they might be asking.

Gary's awesome and super nice. I've talked to him before. Just call the main admissions number and ask to be transferred. Please keep us posted with any deets. Thanks.

I just tried a couple of times and couldn't get through, I'll try later if no one else gets to it before I can.

I just tried a couple of times and couldn't get through, I'll try later if no one else gets to it before I can.

I gotchu. Just talked to him. he said they either met last week or will this week to discuss applicants from march and earlier. If they met last week, decisions should have been sent out (which they weren't) so my guess is they'll be meeting today and, if so, he said they'll send out info tomorrow or next week. He did say it's possible for them not to make a decision about some applicants so it's not as if everyone will get news right away. Sometimes they hold off. He said if we interviewed in March or earlier and haven't heard anything we can call back next Thursday!

Reactions: 5 users
I gotchu. Just talked to him. he said they either met last week or will this week to discuss applicants from march and earlier. If they met last week, decisions should have been sent out (which they weren't) so my guess is they'll be meeting today and, if so, he said they'll send out info tomorrow or next week. He did say it's possible for them not to make a decision about some applicants so it's not as if everyone will get news right away. Sometimes they hold off. He said if we interviewed in March or earlier and haven't heard anything we can call back next Thursday!
Lol you probably saved him a bunch of calls with this post! Thanks for posting!

So if they'll be sending out decisions tomorrow and into next week, I wonder if that means we'll see some changes to online statuses today.

So I was on hold and I decided to check this thread, I hung up when I saw your post lol. Sorry Gary! Thanks for the info crgirl!

Still applicant in process, I'm thinking a silent rejection... :(:(:(

Received a UMED interview invitation by email just now.

I tried searching through the old application threads about what the interview entails/questions asked, but I haven't seen anything. Are there any M1s or M2s around who could share how it went for them?

Reactions: 1 users
So if they'll be sending out decisions tomorrow and into next week, I wonder if that means we'll see some changes to online statuses today.
Was hoping for the same thing haha! Now I'm just praying it's today. This month has been weird, last month they did it the third week and when I checked old threads in March they all got their decisions either 3rd week of March or 4th week of March. I know patience is a virtue lol but I hope they don't leave us waiting until mid April.
I'm really hoping to go here & I'm wishing the best to you all as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Was hoping for the same thing haha! Now I'm just praying it's today. This month has been weird, last month they did it the third week and when I checked old threads in March they all got their decisions either 3rd week of March or 4th week of March. I know patience is a virtue lol but I hope they don't leave us waiting until mid April.
I'm really hoping to go here & I'm wishing the best to you all as well!

I wonder if they are waiting until April, to confirm who is gonna stay/withdraw, before they accept more people. Good luck, and I hope you hear back soon.

I wonder if they are waiting until April, to confirm who is gonna stay/withdraw, before they accept more people. Good luck, and I hope you hear back soon.
If you read what I wrote before, that prob isnt the case. he said theyre still accepting people and havent started forming a waitlist. Theyll be making decisions and giving them out depending on when they meet which he said is this week or was last week (which it wasn't, most likely)

If you read what I wrote before, that prob isnt the case. he said theyre still accepting people and havent started forming a waitlist. Theyll be making decisions and giving them out depending on when they meet which he said is this week or was last week (which it wasn't, most likely)

Oooh, I get it now, didn't see the other post....

Did he tell you this the same day cgirl called? I'm tempted to call now and see what I am told lol because this contradictory information is driving me bonkers. I keep getting my hopes up every Thursday/Friday :(

Spoke to them on Thursday

Did he tell you this the same day cgirl called? I'm tempted to call now and see what I am told lol because this contradictory information is driving me bonkers. I keep getting my hopes up every Thursday/Friday :(

I bet they're telling everyone different things so they can see who's who on SDN. :) Just kidding!

Reactions: 3 users
Just received a UMed interview invitation this morning, but I haven't even been accepted to UIC. Still "Decision Pending." Fingers crossed for us all!

Reactions: 1 users
Just spoke to a very kind lady who said that many applications (including mine) were reviewed this past week and deferred to the April meeting for a final decision. But then she said I could call a Gary late next week for a better update. Mixed signals to say the least.

Does anyone know how many seats are still available for the class of 2021?