2016-2017 University of Michigan Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if I still have a deferred decision from here since like October, and I'm supposed to hear back "no later than March" does that mean I'm basically waiting to hear how they nicely phrase that I'm waitlisted?

According to their timeline on the admissions website, deferred applicants should hear a decision by Wednesday, March 15.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to US News and World Report, it's 235 (n = 173) for Step 1 and 252 for Step 2 (n = 170). I think the national average is 229 for Step 1.

This is self reported data though and I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks!

Anyone know if there will be more curriculum changes for our incoming M1 class? To be honest, I'm still a little confused about how all of this works.

Also, any idea on how our schedule will look like? I looked online and it seems that the only mandatory things are on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons if we podcast everything.

If anyone is in search of roommates, myself and another acceptee are looking to take on 1-2 more people in our housing search. We're ideally looking for 3/2 and 4/2 properties in Kerrytown or across the river in the white coat ghetto. DM if interested!

Scholarships are being announced this Friday, but we can accept our acceptances starting today.

How does accepting our acceptance before versus after this Friday affect our potential scholarships (if at all)? What do you guys think?

Reactions: 1 users
Scholarships are being announced this Friday, but we can accept our acceptances starting today.

How does accepting our acceptance before versus after this Friday affect our potential scholarships (if at all)? What do you guys think?
+1
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't sure if I was just having a neurotic post-premed relapse, or if this is genuinely something we should consider when deciding when to accept our offer.

We can accept today? The email I had said we will be notified tomorrow on how to accept or decline the admissions offer.

Edit: It was through Facebook, not email.

We can accept today? The email I had said we will be notified tomorrow on how to accept or decline the admissions offer.

Edit: It was through Facebook, not email.
Maybe it was tomorrow. I cannot remember the post on FB, but you may be right. Regardless, I'm still wondering!

I don't think it will affect our scholarships at this point, but I'm holding off on accepting the offer until I get UMich's scholarship package. I am also holding on to an acceptance to my state school with a scholarship and I have heard that some people are able to successfully negotiate more scholarship money by leveraging other acceptances/scholarships. I don't know if Michigan is receptive to that but it can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
upper tier waitlist as well. they haven't taken from the waitlist in 7-8 years so I wouldn't get your hopes up!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any idea when scholarship announcements are supposed to come out?

Reactions: 3 users
Not to dampen any spirits, but I have heard from a friend that one of his friends has already been awarded a full tuition scholarship, not sure whether by phone call or email or whatever (I'm still waiting to hear back concerning myself)

Not to dampen any spirits, but I have heard from a friend that one of his friends has already been awarded a full tuition scholarship, not sure whether by phone call or email or whatever (I'm still waiting to hear back concerning myself)
Do we find out either way if we got scholarships today, or do we not get an email if we didn't get anything?

From what I've read the dean merit scholarships which I think you're referring to are offered a couple days before the big scholarship release by phone call so I think everyone is still in the game.

From what I've read the dean merit scholarships which I think you're referring to are offered a couple days before the big scholarship release by phone call so I think everyone is still in the game.
So I guess I'm not getting a full tuition scholarship :(

I received a call this morning about the dean's scholarship!!! Full-tuition + one-year funding for a graduate degree

Reactions: 4 users
Is it safe to assume those who haven't heard by now will not be getting scholarships?

Last edited:
Congrats to those who got offered scholarships! My inbox is definitely empty. I'm just happy to be going to this amazing institution. No problem paying full price.
Carol mentioned in the Facebook group that there would be more rounds of scholarship allocation through April, especially given that a lot of people getting scholarships now are gonna be matriculating at other schools. So don't lose hope yet! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Scholarship offer at around 3PM! Not a big one, so still hoping for dat need-based financial aid lol

Scholarships today were merit-based scholarships.

Need-based scholarships go out in April (I think).

Are need-based scholarships generally on par with merit-based scholarships or usually smaller?

Are the scholarships today only the merit based ones?
So scholarships are different from need-based?

Today was merit-based only. The email I got specifically stated that this may not be the entirety of what I'll receive because they have yet to award need-based grants, and that we are encouraged to fill out all financial aid forms and ask the financial aid office about our need-based packages. So there's still more money to go around!

Today was merit-based only. The email I got specifically stated that this may not be the entirety of what I'll receive because they have yet to award need-based grants, and that we are encouraged to fill out all financial aid forms and ask the financial aid office about our need-based packages. So there's still more money to go around!
Should we ask right now or wait for the need-based package in April?

Congratulations to everyone receiving scholarships today! I was hoping today would be the day I figured out that UMMS was where I would be for at least the next four years. I do not think I am good enough to receive a merit-based scholarship from Michigan, but hopefully I can get a decent need-based scholarship. This is my dream school, but I do not know if I could justify going here and taking out massive loans when I have a full ride at my state's best medical school (although nowhere near as prestigious) where most of my friends from college will be going.

Congratulations to everyone receiving scholarships today! I was hoping today would be the day I figured out that UMMS was where I would be for at least the next four years. I do not think I am good enough to receive a merit-based scholarship from Michigan, but hopefully I can get a decent need-based scholarship. This is my dream school, but I do not know if I could justify going here and taking out massive loans when I have a full ride at my state's best medical school (although nowhere near as prestigious) where most of my friends from college will be going.

In the same position. Feeling like Clark Griswold not getting his Christmas bonus. Makes the choice much more difficult.

Reactions: 2 users
What percentage of Michigan students receive scholarships?
Does anyone know someone who has successfully negotiated a better financial aid package at Michigan? Should I contact them before or after need-based aid comes out? Michigan is considerably more expensive than the only other school I got into and I was hoping I would get a scholarship today but as of tonight I'm looking at full OOS tuition st Michigan and hoping I have other options as far as aid goes.

I think you guys should all wait for need-based scholarships and grants. If you are able of keeping your loans at or around $200,000k you're looking at easily managable debt. Monthly salary for a general practitioner is around $12,000, and you're loan payments would only be around $2,500 a month. And that's only if you are a GP. If U of M is a place you'd be happy at AND gives you a better chance a residency/attending job you want, that's something to consider.

Received very generous need-based aid today. Be on the lookout!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else gotten their financial aid package estimate? Mine included a U-M grant that I didn't get any notification about. I'm wondering if it's something given to all students.