2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my packet last night as well. No money offer in there as well... I wonder if it is being sent out now or later?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know if staying with a student host for SL is an option? Bank account hurting pretty bad after interview season.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@mik30102 @Ismet
Can you (or any current student) comment on how financial aid works here? How generous is pitt with financial aid/scholarship? Are there instances where they may match COA at other programs? Also, do you know the timeline for aid awards?

Reactions: 4 users
@mik30102 @Ismet
Can you (or any current student) comment on how financial aid works here? How generous is pitt with financial aid/scholarship? Are there instances where they may match COA at other programs? Also, do you know the timeline for aid awards?

I'm not super familiar with merit aid but I believe it is highly variable per year and should of been in your acceptance letter if you are getting that. As far as need based, Pitt does a unit loan system where they give aid after a certain level. This was around 27k 2 years ago, so you were expected to pay 27kish regardless and then if you had unmet need you would get a need based scholarship. I do not know if Pitt matches other school's scholarships. I wanna say need based awards went out for me around April like 2 weeks before the deadline to pick a school. For me personally Pitt's aid has been quite generous.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not super familiar with merit aid but I believe it is highly variable per year and should of been in your acceptance letter if you are getting that. As far as need based, Pitt does a unit loan system where they give aid after a certain level. This was around 27k 2 years ago, so you were expected to pay 27kish regardless and then if you had unmet need you would get a need based scholarship. I do not know if Pitt matches other school's scholarships. I wanna say need based awards went out for me around April like 2 weeks before the deadline to pick a school. For me personally Pitt's aid has been quite generous.

Thanks so much for the reply!

I am a bit confused by the unit loan system. Pitt's tuition is ~$50K per year, so if the unit loan is 27k, that would mean I would take out 27K in loans each year, and potentially have 13K + living expenses covered by a need based scholarship each year? If that is right, that sounds pretty great......

Thanks so much for the reply!

I am a bit confused by the unit loan system. Pitt's tuition is ~$50K per year, so if the unit loan is 27k, that would mean I would take out 27K in loans each year, and potentially have 13K + living expenses covered by a need based scholarship each year? If that is right, that sounds pretty great......

Along if you have a low expected family contribution (remember this is not the efc from fafsa) you should only be taking out whatever the unit loan amount is now which should be around that figure. I believe your expected contribution is separate from the unit loan. So lets say unit loan is 27k, then you/your family is expected to contribute say 5k, anything after 32k should be provided by a need based scholarship. Its worth stating though the amount you were originally awarded does not scale as the coa increases a bit each year, but the coa increases are modest at least.

Just got the Fin Aid email with instructions/requirements.

Sounds like no one here got merit scholarships with their letter. Either they didn't send with acceptance this year, or none from our sample size. I don't know, feel like the latter is less likely.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am on first tier waitlist and got the email to start my financial aid info. Did others on first tier get this email?

Reactions: 4 users
I am on first tier waitlist and got the email to start my financial aid info. Did others on first tier get this email?
I'm on first tier and got it.

Reactions: 1 users
On first tier and just got it. Almost had a heart attack thinking maybe it was an acceptance or rejection haha

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received the acceptance packet yet (Ohio)...anyone else in the same boat?

Yeah me too, first thing this morning. I about died because the preview in my mail app said "It is my understanding that you are currently a waitlisted applicant." Oof.

Does anyone know the difference between waitlist tiers?

Hey guys,

So I went back to look in the packet, and noticed that I pencilled in a Q&A about merit scholarships. The woman that spoke to my interview group said they give 5-10 per year, depending on the year, and it is sent with te acceptance.

5-10 out of 390 ish acceptances every year is basically next to nothing. So I'm guessing the letters did go out with acceptances, just no one here.

Lack of merit aid probably contributes to their low retention rate.

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys,

So I went back to look in the packet, and noticed that I pencilled in a Q&A about merit scholarships. The woman that spoke to my interview group said they give 5-10 per year, depending on the year, and it is sent with te acceptance.

5-10 out of 390 ish acceptances every year is basically next to nothing. So I'm guessing the letters did go out with acceptances, just no one here.

Lack of merit aid probably contributes to their low retention rate.

I also remember them saying the merit aid was only 10 grand a pop and that they did not give any last year. 2 years ago they gave 10 and they are unsure how many they'll give this year. So it's also possible no one has gotten it.

Hmm... i wonder how their average graduate debt is so low compared to other schools...

I also remember them saying the merit aid was only 10 grand a pop and that they did not give any last year. 2 years ago they gave 10 and they are unsure how many they'll give this year. So it's also possible no one has gotten it.

That's true. That sucks.

Hmm... i wonder how their average graduate debt is so low compared to other schools...

Probably because the extremely low cost of living, helps keep the total loan need minimum. And that's not to say they don't give decent need-based aid.

Was there an immunization form given to accepted students?

Am I the only one who can't log into the portal anymore? It asks me to change the password and when I try to do that it says my old password is incorrect.

The same issue happens when I try to reset it.

So someone above graciously explained the unit loan system and how in addition to the expected family contribution, it would seem that the rest is made up by need-based aid? Which is great! However, can a current student speak to the in-house scholarship opportunities that are available? That is, once you are enrolled, are there funds that students can apply for or nominated for that become available? Thanks in advance :)

Am I the only one who can't log into the portal anymore? It asks me to change the password and when I try to do that it says my old password is incorrect.

The same issue happens when I try to reset it.

Weird.. Just checked, seem to be able to log on without any issues! You might have contact them if it keeps locking you out

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but shortly after decisions came out, (within the following 2 days) the portal did require me to change my password. I was able to change it without any issues then also. Might just be a glitch that's happening for some people right now as they try to change their passwords

Last edited:
Weird.. Just checked, seem to be able to log on without any issues! You might have contact them if it keeps locking you out

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but shortly after decisions came out, (within the following 2 days) the portal did require me to change my password. I was able to change it without any issues then also. Might just be a glitch that's happening for some people right now as they try to change their passwords

Thanks! I had to reset my password a few times but I can log in now. Maybe it was some weird glitch...

has anyone been in contact with admissions to see if they know when WL movement may begin?

Can someone confirm that in order to accept your seat in the class, all you have to do is fill out the admission data forms on the portal? Is there anything else that we need to do?

Can someone confirm that in order to accept your seat in the class, all you have to do is fill out the admission data forms on the portal? Is there anything else that we need to do?
As far as I know, at this point that is all that we need to do.

I gave them a call recently and it seems the Committee does not give out any information regarding the waitlist. The person who I spoke to thinks that movement will begin in a month. No idea about the size of the waitlist though :(

I gave them a call recently and it seems the Committee does not give out any information regarding the waitlist. The person who I spoke to thinks that movement will begin in a month. No idea about the size of the waitlist though :(
so in a month probably would mean in the beginning of March?

That is what the letter says. I think that's right.

Last night I had a dream of myself dreaming that I got accepted to UPSOM off the wait list. Hoping my inception dream comes true!

Reactions: 13 users
Starting to look at apartments online, anybody know if students ever live downtown?

Did everyone who was also put on the first tier waitlist receive a snail mail letter saying that you were on the waitlist in addition to the portal change?

Did everyone who was also put on the first tier waitlist receive a snail mail letter saying that you were on the waitlist in addition to the portal change?
I got a letter and portal change

2 years ago: February 23rd, a Monday
last year: March 3rd, a Thursday

My prediction for 2017: sometime next week Feb 27th - Mar 3rd
=D

Reactions: 6 users
Since they say they want your parents info, did you include your parents info on FAFSA?