You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Second teir wait list...lol. Not surprised. My interviewer was a huge jerk....told me I was obviously smart enough and would do great there, but I was "too young" and I should "go travel or something" because I still have plenty of time left. Still, was hoping for better news.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know but I would like to know as well. I am guessing they will send more info soon? Who wants to be the brave one to call and inquire.
Also, I don't have Facebook if there is a Facebook group that eventually gets made, can some please post on here or let me know so that I can be in the loop...
Got the email saying a decision has been made on you application, checked the portal, but notin in the portal. What a mind-**** this is.....
You checked the "application status" tab and it still says "under review"??
Does anyone know about getting an MPH here while completing the MD program? Do people do this?
bump. Not yet accepted, but would love to know
...anyone know what % of first tier wait-listers get accepted? I know someone said before ~100+ people got accepted off the wait list but I literally have no clue how many people are in the first tier 

I haven't yet, last year looks like someone heard on Feb. 10th.Anybody hear anything from PSTP yet?
I think I remember Blair saying PSTP interviews are offered to accepted and first tier wait-listed students, is that right?
Last edited:
That's what I understood.I think I remember Blair saing PSTP interviews are offered to accepted and first tier wait-listed students, is that right?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
Well, this is enticing...I remember on interview day they said we could call to find out our position on the waitlist. Has anyone on tier 1 called or thought about it or is that a bad idea?
Second teir wait list...lol. Not surprised. My interviewer was a huge jerk....told me I was obviously smart enough and would do great there, but I was "too young" and I should "go travel or something" because I still have plenty of time left. Still, was hoping for better news.
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I am 18 currently and was asked about my age at two of my interviews which I honestly think was a little inappropriate considering it is a demographic that I can't change. Luckily, it did not come up in my Pitt interview. I was tier 1 waitlisted.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I remember on interview day they said we could call to find out our position on the waitlist. Has anyone on tier 1 called or thought about it or is that a bad idea?
@Ismet
Well, this is enticing...
I called to see if I could find out about how many people were on the tier 1 waitlist. They said they could not give me any information at this time and that I should call back in a few weeks when they know more.
would love to know this too. I have heard that in years prior all people on first tier may have gotten accepted and they moved to second tier. Also, I read that 2/3 of the class that started this year came from the waitlist (which would explain the 112 offers they made from waitlist for a class of 148 matriculants). I think movement will ultimately depend on the amount of accepted people that chose to attend other great medical schools....anyone know what % of first tier wait-listers get accepted? I know someone said before ~100+ people got accepted off the wait list but I literally have no clue how many people are in the first tier![]()
A suspicion of mine is that Pitt initially accepts only the amount of people they would ideally like for a class. Then, once these people decline the offer, they begin to chose from the first tier waitlist people. This would make sense if matriculation vs acceptance statistics are very important for UPSOM
I am 20. But wow congrats to you!! 18 is so young. I would be 19, but I took a year off to work (specifically to avoid those kind of situations).How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I am 18 currently and was asked about my age at two of my interviews which I honestly think was a little inappropriate considering it is a demographic that I can't change. Luckily, it did not come up in my Pitt interview. I was tier 1 waitlisted.
I am 20. But wow congrats to you!! 18 is so young. I would be 19, but I took a year off to work (specifically to avoid those kind of situations).
Dang how did y'all get through college so fast?
Wow, Congrats!! did you just get an acceptance today ?Accepted!It's been a long time coming.
Best of luck to all on waitlist.
Started school early (went to 1st grade early) and then took 3 years to get through undergrad.Dang how did y'all get through college so fast?
Wait list. Hope all this stuff about rapid movement is for real.
Started school early (went to 1st grade early) and then took 3 years to get through undergrad.
Dang, that's awesome, way to go.
Wow, Congrats!! did you just get an acceptance today ?
Nope, yesterday like everyone else. The synapses that connect brain to fingers got overwhelmed 😱 so I could only start typing today 🙂.
BTW, I believe because Pitt is a very highly ranked school, the applicants who got accepted here are likely to have very good overall records and acceptances at other competitive schools. This would explain the high waitlist movement, and hence those on the waitlist, keep your faith, and keep your hope up!
Last edited:
Nope, yesterday like everyone else. The synapses that connect brain to fingers got overwhelmed 😱 so I could only start typing today 🙂.
BTW, I believe because Pitt is a very highly ranked school, the applicants who got accepted here are likely to have very good overall records and acceptances at other competitive schools. This would explain the high waitlist movement, and hence those on the waitlist, keep your faith, and keep your hope up!
I agree. Pitt clearly is very competitive and a top tier school, it's just doesn't quite have the ivy league-esque name recognition (yet!) that Harvard, Hopkins and UCSF etc have so some students are persuaded other places by the names.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
If they awarded you one the notice should come with your mailed acceptance letter.Did anyone receive scholarship info with their decision, or will that come later?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received email confirmation when they sent updates?
no but you can call and they will tell you if they've received it or notHas anyone received email confirmation when they sent updates?
Congrats on making it to decision day!
In the past it was around the last weekend in April but I think they may have moved it earlier since the deadline for holding only 1 acceptance moved earlier. Likely sometime in April.
I don't recall that ever happening unless they overhauled the way they do things this year. It's just tier 1 and tier 2.
In the past it was around the last weekend in April but I think they may have moved it earlier since the deadline for holding only 1 acceptance moved earlier. Likely sometime in April.
I remember on interview day they said we could call to find out our position on the waitlist. Has anyone on tier 1 called or thought about it or is that a bad idea?
@Ismet
I don't recall that ever happening unless they overhauled the way they do things this year. It's just tier 1 and tier 2.
Does anyone know about getting an MPH here while completing the MD program? Do people do this?
Yes, they do. The med school seems quite open to students taking a year off between second and third or third and fourth year for research or a masters program. You can apply for the one year Multidisciplinary Masters in Public Health program right across the street at the School of Public Health. I know one med student currently in the MPH program and I plan on starting public health classes after my third year.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Congrats on the acceptances everyone and welcome to Pitt Med! Let me know if anyone has any questions and I will do my best to answer.
Last edited:
Yes, they do. The med school seems quite open to students taking a year off between second and third or third and fourth year for research or a masters program. You can apply for the one year Multidisciplinary Masters in Public Health program right across the street at the School of Public Health. I know one med student currently in the MPH program and I plan on starting public health classes after my third year.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Thanks for the reply. So if you want to do a MPH, you have to take a year off? Or are there any students doing the degrees concurrently?
Pitt does not have an integrated MD/MPH program and I haven't personally heard of any student attempting both degrees concurrently.Thanks for the reply. So if you want to do a MPH, you have to take a year off? Or are there any students doing the degrees concurrently?
At my interview said you take a year off either between m2 m3 or at the end of m4Thanks for the reply. So if you want to do a MPH, you have to take a year off? Or are there any students doing the degrees concurrently?
Pitt does not have an integrated MD/MPH program and I haven't personally heard of any student attempting both degrees concurrently.
At my interview said you take a year off either between m2 m3 or at the end of m4
Thank you for the info!
This weekTo those on the wait list sending a letter of interest/intent or update, when are you planning on sending them in?
I just sent one yesterday... haha I was told to do so by an advisor
This week
Okay good, lol. I'm planning on sending one today but wanted to make sure not to seem crazy
Okay good, lol. I'm planning on sending one today but wanted to make sure not to seem crazy
If I may ask, who did you address the letter to? Adcom or Dean? I'm writing one myself and I'm debating between the two..
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i've addressed mine to Adcom. don't know who exactly will be reading it. But, I have read that it could be good to specifically write it to the dean. don't know if its going to be a deciding factorIf I may ask, who did you address the letter to? Adcom or Dean? I'm writing one myself and I'm debating between the two..
Congrats on the acceptances everyone and welcome to Pitt Med!. Let me know if anyone has any questions and I will do my best to answer.
Hi, I was wondering what the average day looks like for an MS1 or MS2? I looked on the website and in the folder, they gave us on interview day, but I can't find anything. I have read up on the curriculum, but I am specifically wondering about what time you guys start and end lectures each day and how much time is dedicated to PBL outside of lecture? Thanks in advance.
I'll be addressing mine to the admissions committeeIf I may ask, who did you address the letter to? Adcom or Dean? I'm writing one myself and I'm debating between the two..
Hi, I was wondering what the average day looks like for an MS1 or MS2? I looked on the website and in the folder, they gave us on interview day, but I can't find anything. I have read up on the curriculum, but I am specifically wondering about what time you guys start and end lectures each day and how much time is dedicated to PBL outside of lecture? Thanks in advance.
PBL during ms1 involves making some ppt presentations about your study questions for the next session, so its done over two days. I probably spent about 30 mins on average preparing it. If I recall most ms1 courses had one pbl case a week. During ms2 this stops and we finish the whole case that day. You are supposed to have answered the questions beforehand and then you go through them as a group. That took more so around 40-50 mins and that was once a week on average for most courses. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are longer days where you have class from 8/9/10-4/5. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays are only the mornings, 8 or 9 depending on the course. You will usually also have an extra 3 hour course in the afternoon of Friday or Thursday which can be medical interviewing, advanced physical exam, etc. That is pretty much an average week.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K