2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an email saying there was a status change, but from past years does anyone know if they send something more detailed later on how to accept a spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Second teir wait list...lol. Not surprised. My interviewer was a huge jerk....told me I was obviously smart enough and would do great there, but I was "too young" and I should "go travel or something" because I still have plenty of time left. Still, was hoping for better news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know when second look is?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I don't know but I would like to know as well. I am guessing they will send more info soon? Who wants to be the brave one to call and inquire.

Also, I don't have Facebook if there is a Facebook group that eventually gets made, can some please post on here or let me know so that I can be in the loop...

Got the email saying a decision has been made on you application, checked the portal, but notin in the portal. What a mind-**** this is.....

You checked the "application status" tab and it still says "under review"??

Does anyone know about getting an MPH here while completing the MD program? Do people do this?

...anyone know what % of first tier wait-listers get accepted? I know someone said before ~100+ people got accepted off the wait list but I literally have no clue how many people are in the first tier :help:

Reactions: 1 users
I think I remember Blair saying PSTP interviews are offered to accepted and first tier wait-listed students, is that right?

Last edited:
I remember on interview day they said we could call to find out our position on the waitlist. Has anyone on tier 1 called or thought about it or is that a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember on interview day they said we could call to find out our position on the waitlist. Has anyone on tier 1 called or thought about it or is that a bad idea?
Well, this is enticing...

Reactions: 7 users
Second teir wait list...lol. Not surprised. My interviewer was a huge jerk....told me I was obviously smart enough and would do great there, but I was "too young" and I should "go travel or something" because I still have plenty of time left. Still, was hoping for better news.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I am 18 currently and was asked about my age at two of my interviews which I honestly think was a little inappropriate considering it is a demographic that I can't change. Luckily, it did not come up in my Pitt interview. I was tier 1 waitlisted.

Well, this is enticing...

I called to see if I could find out about how many people were on the tier 1 waitlist. They said they could not give me any information at this time and that I should call back in a few weeks when they know more.

Reactions: 8 users
...anyone know what % of first tier wait-listers get accepted? I know someone said before ~100+ people got accepted off the wait list but I literally have no clue how many people are in the first tier :help:
would love to know this too. I have heard that in years prior all people on first tier may have gotten accepted and they moved to second tier. Also, I read that 2/3 of the class that started this year came from the waitlist (which would explain the 112 offers they made from waitlist for a class of 148 matriculants). I think movement will ultimately depend on the amount of accepted people that chose to attend other great medical schools.

A suspicion of mine is that Pitt initially accepts only the amount of people they would ideally like for a class. Then, once these people decline the offer, they begin to chose from the first tier waitlist people. This would make sense if matriculation vs acceptance statistics are very important for UPSOM

Reactions: 5 users
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? I am 18 currently and was asked about my age at two of my interviews which I honestly think was a little inappropriate considering it is a demographic that I can't change. Luckily, it did not come up in my Pitt interview. I was tier 1 waitlisted.
I am 20. But wow congrats to you!! 18 is so young. I would be 19, but I took a year off to work (specifically to avoid those kind of situations).

Accepted! :cigar: It's been a long time coming.
Best of luck to all on waitlist.

Reactions: 7 users
Wait list. Hope all this stuff about rapid movement is for real.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, Congrats!! did you just get an acceptance today ?

Nope, yesterday like everyone else. The synapses that connect brain to fingers got overwhelmed :eek: so I could only start typing today :).

BTW, I believe because Pitt is a very highly ranked school, the applicants who got accepted here are likely to have very good overall records and acceptances at other competitive schools. This would explain the high waitlist movement, and hence those on the waitlist, keep your faith, and keep your hope up!

Last edited:
Nope, yesterday like everyone else. The synapses that connect brain to fingers got overwhelmed :eek: so I could only start typing today :).

BTW, I believe because Pitt is a very highly ranked school, the applicants who got accepted here are likely to have very good overall records and acceptances at other competitive schools. This would explain the high waitlist movement, and hence those on the waitlist, keep your faith, and keep your hope up!

I agree. Pitt clearly is very competitive and a top tier school, it's just doesn't quite have the ivy league-esque name recognition (yet!) that Harvard, Hopkins and UCSF etc have so some students are persuaded other places by the names.

If/When we decide to send letter of intent, who should we address it to? The AdCom or the Dean?

Did anyone receive scholarship info with their decision, or will that come later?

Has anyone received email confirmation when they sent updates?

Congrats on making it to decision day!

Anybody know when second look is?

In the past it was around the last weekend in April but I think they may have moved it earlier since the deadline for holding only 1 acceptance moved earlier. Likely sometime in April.

I don't recall that ever happening unless they overhauled the way they do things this year. It's just tier 1 and tier 2.

Does anyone know about getting an MPH here while completing the MD program? Do people do this?

Yes, they do. The med school seems quite open to students taking a year off between second and third or third and fourth year for research or a masters program. You can apply for the one year Multidisciplinary Masters in Public Health program right across the street at the School of Public Health. I know one med student currently in the MPH program and I plan on starting public health classes after my third year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Congrats on the acceptances everyone and welcome to Pitt Med! Let me know if anyone has any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Last edited:
Yes, they do. The med school seems quite open to students taking a year off between second and third or third and fourth year for research or a masters program. You can apply for the one year Multidisciplinary Masters in Public Health program right across the street at the School of Public Health. I know one med student currently in the MPH program and I plan on starting public health classes after my third year.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Thanks for the reply. So if you want to do a MPH, you have to take a year off? Or are there any students doing the degrees concurrently?

Thanks for the reply. So if you want to do a MPH, you have to take a year off? Or are there any students doing the degrees concurrently?
At my interview said you take a year off either between m2 m3 or at the end of m4

To those on the wait list sending a letter of interest/intent or update, when are you planning on sending them in?

I just sent one yesterday... haha I was told to do so by an advisor

Okay good, lol. I'm planning on sending one today but wanted to make sure not to seem crazy

If I may ask, who did you address the letter to? Adcom or Dean? I'm writing one myself and I'm debating between the two..

If I may ask, who did you address the letter to? Adcom or Dean? I'm writing one myself and I'm debating between the two..
i've addressed mine to Adcom. don't know who exactly will be reading it. But, I have read that it could be good to specifically write it to the dean. don't know if its going to be a deciding factor

Congrats on the acceptances everyone and welcome to Pitt Med!. Let me know if anyone has any questions and I will do my best to answer.

Hi, I was wondering what the average day looks like for an MS1 or MS2? I looked on the website and in the folder, they gave us on interview day, but I can't find anything. I have read up on the curriculum, but I am specifically wondering about what time you guys start and end lectures each day and how much time is dedicated to PBL outside of lecture? Thanks in advance.

I'll be addressing mine to the admissions committee

accepted on 1/31 at midnight. Congrats to all! Plan on committing to Pitt Med but still waiting anxiously for PSTP updates

Hi, I was wondering what the average day looks like for an MS1 or MS2? I looked on the website and in the folder, they gave us on interview day, but I can't find anything. I have read up on the curriculum, but I am specifically wondering about what time you guys start and end lectures each day and how much time is dedicated to PBL outside of lecture? Thanks in advance.

PBL during ms1 involves making some ppt presentations about your study questions for the next session, so its done over two days. I probably spent about 30 mins on average preparing it. If I recall most ms1 courses had one pbl case a week. During ms2 this stops and we finish the whole case that day. You are supposed to have answered the questions beforehand and then you go through them as a group. That took more so around 40-50 mins and that was once a week on average for most courses. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are longer days where you have class from 8/9/10-4/5. Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays are only the mornings, 8 or 9 depending on the course. You will usually also have an extra 3 hour course in the afternoon of Friday or Thursday which can be medical interviewing, advanced physical exam, etc. That is pretty much an average week.

Reactions: 5 users