2016-2017 University of Pittsburgh Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When do you think we'll get info about second look? It seems like every school has second look that weekend and I'd like to finalize travel plans sooner rather than later...

Members don't see this ad.

When do you think we'll get info about second look? It seems like every school has second look that weekend and I'd like to finalize travel plans sooner rather than later...
It should have been in your mailed acceptance packet, but it's April 6th-7th!

But other schools have sent out detailed itineraries, that hasn't been sent out yet correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
There was a booklet about them in the folder they gave us on interview day if you still have that laying around

That booklet doesn't include pictures.. but I guess the apartments are furnished?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So when does everyone think we'll see some more wait list movement?

Reactions: 3 users
Can anyone comment on how many weeks pitt sets aside purely for step 1 studying? Thanks!

Anyone know what the timeline is here for getting financial aid awards back? Also, when will we know more specifics on second look?

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, has anyone else gotten the email last week regarding the Prologue to Medicine program? Is anyone thinking about accepting the program but also planning on doing PREP? I was wondering if we were allowed to do both or if that were too much.
I spoke with the office of student affairs and they said we can't do both :(

They also told me only 5 PREP applications will be funded if that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN1488915175.628258.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN1488915175.628258.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I want to do something this summer, so if I don't get the PREP stipend at least I have the Prologue to Medicine to look forward to. I heard something like 80 students did PREP last year, but maybe I heard wrong or many might have gone unfunded.

It's the research program, they have application instructions that come with your letter packet (also can be found online if you search scholarlyproject pitt on Google).
My invitation for Prolong to Medicine said they take 20, and OSA said this is the first year for PREP... But maybe there was another?

For the PREP question, there was an invitation to apply in acceptance packets of "those with substantial research experience."

Thank you! I'll have look at my acceptance letter packet again!!

Hey Everyone - So I am trying to plan my second look visits and the two schools I wanted to visit have similar dates (ugh!). Pitt's is 6th and 7th and as we all know a bunch of other schools have clashing visits on the 7th. Can current or former students chime in about the second day of second look and would it be terrible if I only came for the 6th and left that day?

Thanks for your input.

Hey Everyone - So I am trying to plan my second look visits and the two schools I wanted to visit have similar dates (ugh!). Pitt's is 6th and 7th and as we all know a bunch of other schools have clashing visits on the 7th. Can current or former students chime in about the second day of second look and would it be terrible if I only came for the 6th and left that day?

Thanks for your input.

I just talked to an M1 on the phone and they said the itinerary will be out tomorrow. Apparently the 7th will be the major day of events which also is a problem for me...

I just talked to an M1 on the phone and they said the itinerary will be out tomorrow. Apparently the 7th will be the major day of events which also is a problem for me...

Ohhhh is that why they called? I'm in the middle of some hilarious troll war on Snapchat and answered and knew I wasn't in the mindset to talk to students. Scheduled the "talk" for later this week.

Yeah me too lol. I was a bit scared because I just posted a question and next thing I know I am getting a call asking if I had any questions and in my mind I was like: "boy do I?!" Anyways, I am in the same situation as well since most of the activities will be on the 7th. I will come for the 6th though. Will they email this information with the schedules to us?

P.S I am torn, I want to meet everyone on here *covers face*

I'm excited to meet many of you at 2nd look! I'm an older nontrad student (graduated college nearly a decade ago), so I'm especially excited to meet any other nontrads (feel free to Pm-me).

Reactions: 1 users
I'm excited to meet many of you at 2nd look! I'm an older nontrad student (graduated college nearly a decade ago), so I'm especially excited to meet any other nontrads (feel free to Pm-me).
Same here, more like 6 years for me.

Reactions: 1 user
So... I gave the student that called me yesterday a time on Thursday afternoon that would be the best time for me to talk. But, I woke up this morning to 4 missed called from the same student early this morning and no voicemail.

So... I gave the student that called me yesterday a time on Thursday afternoon that would be the best time for me to talk. But, I woke up this morning to 4 missed called from the same student early this morning and no voicemail.

#nopressure

anyone have any idea if the majority of the waitlist has already occurred or if most of it will occur later in the cycle?

anyone have any idea if the majority of the waitlist has already occurred or if most of it will occur later in the cycle?
Last year they had three big waitlist movements: one at the beginning of March, one at the end of March, and one in April. So I'm thinking there will be two more.

Last year they had three big waitlist movements: one at the beginning of March, one at the end of March, and one in April. So I'm thinking there will be two more.
Let's hope

Reactions: 2 users
Just for some reference for you guys there are 165 people in the Facebook group. Some are admins and some are not committed yet though. I think there will be more movement, especially after second look so keep your hope alive!

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Just for some reference for you guys there are 165 people in the Facebook group. Some are admins and some are not committed yet though. I think there will be more movement, especially after second look so keep your hope alive!

yes thank you! def have been following this. Some are admins and some members of the group are current med students (maybe assisting with the day?). Hopeful for some more movement. Good luck to everyone!

yes thank you! def have been following this. Some are admins and some members of the group are current med students (maybe assisting with the day?). Hopeful for some more movement. Good luck to everyone!
Omg I love your signature :laugh:

Where is the FB group? Never got an invite.

Aye!!! Thanks for posting about the Fbk group - I don't have one *covers face* what is the major things being discussed related to second look? Have they posted the specifics of what is happening? I looked at the schedule on the site we can register and I wanted to know if there is something more specific than that posted on fbk...

Did anyone else who has been rejected receive an email to activate an account through the help desk?

Already rejected and these mother******* have the audacity to email me about setting up an account?!? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Already rejected and these mother******* have the audacity to email me about setting up an account?!? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just like Mayo sending us rejections with the wrong name in it.. is it just me or does med school admissions feel like even more of a Benny-Hill-theme-songed circus this cycle than usual?

Is there a list of available mentors for PREP or are we supposed to just contact anyone we are interested in working with?

Is there a list of available mentors for PREP or are we supposed to just contact anyone we are interested in working with?

There was a list of mentors and contacts if you take the link included in the prep info sheet.

Did anyone else who has been rejected receive an email to activate an account through the help desk?

I got the same email too. I'm curious what happens if you activate it, have you tried?

I got the same email too. I'm curious what happens if you activate it, have you tried?

I did and all I got were a new set of credentials.. I am not even sure where I will need to use them. :S

I'm on 1st tier WL and just got the help desk email. I got a log in and password after completing everything through the link. Not sure where to use this password and login though

I'm on 1st tier WL and just got the help desk email. I got a log in and password after completing everything through the link. Not sure where to use this password and login though
Same, saw the email and gasped!