2016-2017 Western Michigan University (Stryker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WMED is a private medical school, so I don't think they would have preference for in-state applicants actually
They have a preference for locals, its stated on the website and they reinstated it at the interview

Members don't see this ad.

They have a preference for locals, its stated on the website and they reinstated it at the interview
Do you mean its preferred relationships with WMU and Kalamazoo College?
I'm not from either of those

EDIT: just realized I never answered your original question lol.
IS, F

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students tell me how many Wmed classes have required attendance?

Can any current students tell me how many Wmed classes have required attendance?
more than none, less than all. beyond required lectures, there are just a ton of general sessions that require your attendance. there's also a total disregard for the fact that students may not like an 8-9am mandatory on-campus event, empty space from 9-1, then a 1pm mandatory event that goes until 5pm. you just learn to make use of your time.

but as kalamazoo isn't adding apartments downtown and parking nearby is limited, i would expect future classes to just grow more and more frustrated with the zig-zagged scheduling for mandatory events.

important to note: this isn't unique to wmed

Reactions: 1 users

basic science lectures are not mandatory. there are 8-9 a week and most lectures run for 1-1.5h.

mandatory stuff includes:
- TBL (1x a week for 3h)
- anatomy lab (1x a week for 2-4h)
- clinical skills (1x a week for 4h)
- POM lectures (~2x a week, 1h each)

IMG_1405.PNG

Would any M3's care to comment on their perception of Step 1? I understand scores probably won't be released for a couple more weeks, but any anecdotal info or prevailing class moods about preparedness etc. would be great as this is still one of the biggest unknowns for future students aside from residency placements.

Ex: Any specific comments on how the curriculum helped or hindered your preparation? (I've attached a pic of what WMed lists as preparation for Step 1 so perhaps some of you could comment on the effectiveness and structure of these in particular.)
How do you now feel about the timing of Step 1 after 3rd year?
Anything you would have done differently to prepare now that you've taken the examination?

Your comments are much appreciated!
@tellme_areyoufree @Bert Macklin

View attachment 220661
Would any M3's care to comment on their perception of Step 1? I understand scores probably won't be released for a couple more weeks, but any anecdotal info or prevailing class moods about preparedness etc. would be great as this is still one of the biggest unknowns for future students aside from residency placements.

Ex: Any specific comments on how the curriculum helped or hindered your preparation? (I've attached a pic of what WMed lists as preparation for Step 1 so perhaps some of you could comment on the effectiveness and structure of these in particular.)
How do you now feel about the timing of Step 1 after 3rd year?
Anything you would have done differently to prepare now that you've taken the examination?

Your comments are much appreciated!
@tellme_areyoufree @Bert Macklin

TL;DR -- Basic science exams suck, NBME comprehensives are silly, and your performance on one doesn't determine your performance on the other (no matter how many graphs they show us). We don't know how WMed basic science scores and NBME comprehensive scores relate to WMed Step 1 scores yet, but I predict administration will show us some graphs showing perfect correlations and the students will laugh. Also, UFAP.

Class of 2019 petitioned to move Step 1 earlier, so we will be taking it next Jan/Feb. Class of 2018 took Step 1 just recently -- like, in the last few weeks, so probably no scores yet. I hope the Step 1 date stays where it is or moves even earlier for future classes, as I think it's important to know your Step 1 score more than 2 months before you submit ERAS because your score could drastically influence which specialty you're going to apply to (and this was why the Class of 2019 petitioned to move it earlier, which was met with overwhelming clinical faculty support).

There's always going to be pros/cons to the timing of Step 1. The Class of 2018 took Step 1 as M4s after completing all clerkships, while the Class of 2019 will be taking it as M3s after 3 clerkships. Most other schools take it as M2s, prior to beginning M3 clerkships.

Both classes were required to pass the NBME comprehensive examination prior to entering M3 clerkships. Does the curriculum prepare us for that? Well, it doesn't not prepare us for it. However, there are people who passed every single basic science course and failed the comprehensive NBME, and there are people who failed one or more basic science courses and passed the NBME with flying colors.

The fact is that the NBME comprehensive and USMLE Step 1 are huge beasts to prepare for and no matter how well a basic science course is taught, you're not going to retain details you learned in October of your M1 year until Step 1 without some extra effort. This highlights that there are two beasts in medical school (and this is not unique to WMed): 1) pass the courses, 2) pass the boards. While passing courses likely gives you a better starting point going into the comprehensive exams and Step 1, it's no guarantee that you'll pass the required NBME comprehensive or even that you will do well on Step 1.

Also, the NBME comprehensive exams are not Step 1. I hope that as classes are taking Step 1 and we have more data, the school will de-emphasize the NBME comprehensives, since basically no one around the country knows wtf they even are. It ends up being used as another measuring stick for students during an already stressful time (oh, and these comprehensive exams aren't just for fun; they are factored into your rank).

The biggest factor is your work ethic over time, regardless of individual course performance. Especially when we take Step 1 "so late," nothing is more important than having a strong work ethic -- pushing through the bad times (such as not getting the score you wanted on a basic sciences exam) to work toward your goal Step 1 score and that dream job. Most of the classmates I've talked to since starting M3 are making progress on studying for Step 1 while we're rotating through our clerkships. It's just another thing on the to-do list and is as simple as spending even just 15 minutes a day doing a few questions or reading a few pages.

Was Step 1 designed to be some measuring stick to compare students? No. But that's what it is and will remain in the near future, so you gotta play the game and get the best score you can.

How to succeed in medical school: 1) UWorld, 2) First Aid, 3) Firecracker/Anki, 4) Pathoma, 5) Sketchy Medicine (Micro, Pharm, Path)

Does anyone know if they do silent rejections here? I've been waitlisted for a while, went to check portal for updates and saw it was for the 2018 cycle :(