2017-2018 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All have a 500 word limit:
1. Tell us about a time when you have been an outsider and felt uncomfortable
2. What are two essential skills needed for success in medical school?
3. [REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we should wait to see if we are invited for a secondary before signing up for Casper? Or should we just go ahead and take it?

Does anyone know if we should wait to see if we are invited for a secondary before signing up for Casper? Or should we just go ahead and take it?

I think you can go ahead and take it. From the website: "Your CASPer results are only valid for a single application cycle, and only for the program type (Med, Nursing, etc…) for which you have written the test. You will need to write a separate CASPer test for future application cycles or different program types". If other schools you're applying to require CASper, I would just take it and send it to the schools that need it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I'm a current CMed student (just finished M1, headed to M2 in August). If anyone has any questions about the school, curriculum, the town, or anything else please ask away. I may not be as helpful with specific application questions, however.

Best wishes to everyone applying this year!!

Assuming the secondary questions are the same as last year, would a diversity essay be fittng for the "Tell us one thing about yourself" question?

Assuming the secondary questions are the same as last year, would a diversity essay be fittng for the "Tell us one thing about yourself" question?

Is that diversity essay specifically about you as an URM, or how you've worked with diverse populations? This question is a chance for you to let them know something about yourself, to make you a person instead of another numbered applicant. Don't miss that chance with something that could be more impersonal.

Is that diversity essay specifically about you as an URM, or how you've worked with diverse populations? This question is a chance for you to let them know something about yourself, to make you a person instead of another numbered applicant. Don't miss that chance with something that could be more impersonal.
It focuses more on the second one and how it relates to a personal interest and career goal of mine. I'm not URM though.

It focuses more on the second one and how it relates to a personal interest and career goal of mine. I'm not URM though.

If it's personal and fits the question (won't look like something you wrote for a different assignment or application), should be fine. In my humble opinion of course.

Have any secondarys been sent out?

I'd cautiously say probably not. The AAMC designates URM based on how many physicians practice for that ethnic group compared to population numbers for that ethnic group. Hispanic and African American are classic URM.

You could call the office and ask, they may be able to tell you decisively.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted primary today. Lets get some love!!

Mind sharing the prompts?
Oh yeah, of course!
@Lucca
All have a 500 word limit
3. [REAPP ONLY]: If you have applied to any medical school in previous cycles, what have you done since your last application to prepare yourself for a career in medicine? If you have not applied to medical school previously, write “N/A” in the box.

Secondary:
All have a 500 word limit
@gyngyn :)

Last edited:
secondary received too!

Now I'm debating if I should even send in a secondary.
I have no ties with CMU and I'm international (Canadian), although I do intend to practice in rural and have decent stats/EC...

I can't seem to submit the essay section. It says "This page is incomplete." even though I completed all three essays. Any advice?

No, it says "There are errors on the page" when I hit submit on the individual essay section.
Yes! I am having the exact same issue. I emailed admissions and they said they are going to look into it.

Oh that's a good point, what browser did you use if you submitted already?

I haven't even opened it tbh lol but for my others I've used Chrome unless it's acting odd. If that happens then I just use IE/safari

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

secondary received too!

Now I'm debating if I should even send in a secondary.
I have no ties with CMU and I'm international (Canadian), although I do intend to practice in rural and have decent stats/EC...

Choice is definitely up to you, but I personally know 4 Canadians in my class, and I'm sure there are a few more. With CMed's mission (rural/under served medicine) aligning with your future goals, I think you should give it a shot.

Hey guys! Just got this email from admissions: "The developers have told me that they have resolved the issue. You should be able to submit your application." Just submitted! Good luck everyone!!!! :happy:

Am I the only one still waiting on a secondary invite? I submitted my primary and was verified before July 1st. Like if you're in the same boat.

Reactions: 3 users
Am I the only one still waiting on a secondary invite? I submitted my primary and was verified before July 1st. Like if you're in the same boat.

I'm guessing they might be screening or something

One hour later, and I have a secondary invite in my inbox!

The secondary says they strongly encourage applicants do the CASPer test. Is anyone not doing it? Or have any past students not done it and been invited for interview?

Last edited:
One hour later, and I have a secondary invite in my inbox!

The secondary says they strongly encourage applicants do the CASPer test. Is anyone not doing it? Or have any past students not done it and been invited for interview?
I'm doing it because six other schools I applied to either require it or strongly encourage it

Secondary received and submitted!

Received, submitted, and CASPer'd on 07/09. Good luck, everyone!

For the secondary question regarding two skills, are you all just typing the skills and explaining, or are you relating them to yourselves too? (like "I believe this skill is necessary and this is how I have demonstrated it myself")
They give you a 500 word limit, which is decent, so I related to myself AND why I think it's important. Maybe a bit too much but mine only came out to like 250-300 words.

Wow, I really don't like this secondary. The questions last year were a lot easier to answer...

Reactions: 3 users
For the second question in the application, "What are two essential skills needed for success in medical school?", is it talking about qualities to be a successful physician or to be a good medical student?

For the second question in the application, "What are two essential skills needed for success in medical school?", is it talking about qualities to be a successful physician or to be a good medical student?

As far as I know, you’re not a doctor until you’re done medical school