2017-2018 Central Michigan University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My status in the portal changed to a "review complete." Says that a decision regarding interview is still pending and you may need to wait until Feb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Guys,

I am still a little confused for the following question:

What are two essential skills needed for success in medical school?

Did you guys choose skills from what was outlined in the handbook for the schools? I am curious to understand what skills did you guys elaborate upon.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I am still a little confused for the following question:

What are two essential skills needed for success in medical school?

Did you guys choose skills from what was outlined in the handbook for the schools? I am curious to understand what skills did you guys elaborate upon.

Thanks!
I decided to interpret this question as "what two skills do you possess that will help you be successful in medical school." I then discussed two experiences which showed how I embody these two qualities and why they will help me in medical school. Hope this isn't too vague, but I think it may help you narrow down which two skills to discuss!

Hey guys, what are the odds of an OOS applicant being accepted here? Given that your stats lie within their average.

Hey guys, what are the odds of an OOS applicant being accepted here? Given that your stats lie within their average.
They really want people who are going to stay in MI (specifically northern MI), so I would say your chances are a lot better strong ties to the state.

Stats for class of 2020: Overall, 80 of the 104 admitted students — or 77 percent — are from Michigan. Twenty-four of those are from northern and central portions of the state. Of the 376 students in the college, 83 percent are Michigan natives.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got changed to "Your supplemental application review is complete but an interview decision is pending. While we make every effort to provide application decisions in a timely manner, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February."

Is this a pre-interview rejection orrr?

Just got changed to "Your supplemental application review is complete but an interview decision is pending. While we make every effort to provide application decisions in a timely manner, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February."

No lol it means be patient

NO I think that's a step everyone goes through before II or rejection

Nope, I dont think so. I'm at the same status!

Members don't see this ad :)
Moved to the completed application review stage.. not sure when, haven't checked the portal in like a week and a half. This school required Casper, correct?

I thought it was highly encouraged but not required... at least that is what I remember

I assumed "highly encouraged" basically means it's required (that's how I took it). If I were you, I'd take it. It doesn't take that long (90 min max)

I thought it was highly encouraged but not required... at least that is what I remember
Yeah, I think that's how they phrased it. But realistically, I think they're implying you need it. If you don't take it, you're basically saying you aren't really interested in their school. And this isn't directed at you AllinforMichigan! Just my opinion for everyone :)

I submitted my secondary application on the 7/27/17, and I still don't have a check next to application under review. I am scheduled to take the Casper exam tomorrow. Should I be concerned? Will My application be under review once they receive my score?

How long does it usually take for applications to go 'under review'? I wrote CASPer on July 9, so they have definitely received my score, and I submitted my secondary on July 28.

How long does it usually take for applications to go 'under review'? I wrote CASPer on July 9, so they have definitely received my score, and I submitted my secondary on July 28.
They finished my review process before they even got my Casper score lol

I submitted my secondary application on the 7/27/17, and I still don't have a check next to application under review. I am scheduled to take the Casper exam tomorrow. Should I be concerned? Will My application be under review once they receive my score?
Same! I submitted my APP around the same time, and already took my Casper last month. Considering it isn't technically an official requirement for admission and several people said they had their application reviewed prior to sending in Casper- I doubt that's the issue. That being said, my application also stops at Application review, and does not have a green check mark under Application under review :(

Their II's aren't going to go out for another 3 weeks or so.

They finished my review process before they even got my Casper score lol
If I may ask, have they sent you any details regarding II or holds? I'm wondering what they are up to regarding viewing all the apps right now lol since some people haven't got the green check for "Application under Review" yet

Does anyone know how long after 'application complete' do they review your file?

Does anyone know how long after 'application complete' do they review your file?
They say 8 weeks I think but they finished mine in like 3

Does anyone know if it is worth applying here if we are OOS with no ties? I know like 25% of matriculates are OOS, but I wasn't sure if they require ties or something.

Does anyone know if it is worth applying here if we are OOS with no ties? I know like 25% of matriculates are OOS, but I wasn't sure if they require ties or something.
Not unless you have ties to MI, specifically mid-MI, northern MI, or the UP. The OOS numbers are slightly exacerbated because they take a few Canadians every year.

Not unless you have ties to MI, specifically mid-MI, northern MI, or the UP. The OOS numbers are slightly exacerbated because they take a few Canadians every year.

(Just a reminder: I'm a current M2).

I have MANY classmates from the Detroit area, Saginaw area, and I'm from Southwest Michigan, so the comment about mid, UP, and Northern Michigan is inaccurate.

I also have classmates in my own class from the west coast, 3 from Texas (one was recruited by the school!), one from Australia, Tennessee, a couple from Florida... I could go on (this is just the clsss of 2020, the incoming class looks even more diverse!)

That said, check CMed's mission statement. If your values and reasons for becoming a physician align with my school's, and you can eloquently and effectively show this in your application and interview, then you have a chance. If you're an URM, you have even more of a chance. I'd caution against it this late in the game if you're out of state, but it all depends on how much you want to spend on your application cycle.

Best of luck to you!!

(Just a reminder: I'm a current M2).

I have MANY classmates from the Detroit area, Saginaw area, and I'm from Southwest Michigan, so the comment about mid, UP, and Northern Michigan is inaccurate.

I also have classmates in my own class from the west coast, 3 from Texas (one was recruited by the school!), one from Australia, Tennessee, a couple from Florida... I could go on (this is just the clsss of 2020, the incoming class looks even more diverse!)

That said, check CMed's mission statement. If your values and reasons for becoming a physician align with my school's, and you can eloquently and effectively show this in your application and interview, then you have a chance. If you're an URM, you have even more of a chance. I'd caution against it this late in the game if you're out of state, but it all depends on how much you want to spend on your application cycle.

Best of luck to you!!

Thanks for letting me know! I like the community-focused aspect of it, and I heard the school overall is super friendly but I feel like they would think I am a phony since I have no ties :(

And what you said about "this late in the game" is super depressing because my committee letter isn't even in yet.

Thanks for letting me know! I like the community-focused aspect of it, and I heard the school overall is super friendly but I feel like they would think I am a phony since I have no ties :(

And what you said about "this late in the game" is super depressing because my committee letter isn't even in yet.

There's no phony-ness unless you rave about how you want to serve underserved areas (the school's mission), but really want to be a plastic surgeon to the celebrities ;)

You still have a shot at your in-state school at this point in the cycle, or schools you have a connection to. I didn't have a lot of cash to spend, so I know that feeling... thus the caution about being "late in the game". Don't be depressed! See what you can do to heighten your chances, work towards that, and go get your goal! Even when people say you don't have a shot (I heard that A LOT), unless those people are the ADCOM or serve on ADCOM's they really don't know.

Still, play the game wisely. Yet, if you lose one round... learn and use it for growth. You can do this!

There's no phony-ness unless you rave about how you want to serve underserved areas (the school's mission), but really want to be a plastic surgeon to the celebrities ;)

You still have a shot at your in-state school at this point in the cycle, or schools you have a connection to. I didn't have a lot of cash to spend, so I know that feeling... thus the caution about being "late in the game". Don't be depressed! See what you can do to heighten your chances, work towards that, and go get your goal! Even when people say you don't have a shot (I heard that A LOT), unless those people are the ADCOM or serve on ADCOM's they really don't know.

Still, play the game wisely. Yet, if you lose one round... learn and use it for growth. You can do this!

Thanks! But just to clarify, is it really that late in the cycle? I heard Adcoms say that if you are in within labor day you will be fine?

Thanks! But just to clarify, is it really that late in the cycle? I heard Adcoms say that if you are in within labor day you will be fine?

ADCOM's definitely know more than me! I was told after mid-July was pushing it, but that was peers, not the ADCOM's.

I assumed "highly encouraged" basically means it's required (that's how I took it). If I were you, I'd take it. It doesn't take that long (90 min max)
I called admissions and they said in many (or most) cases, interview decisions would be made before Casper results were made available, but that admission decisions are likely to be impacted in some way by Casper.

I called admissions and they said in many (or most) cases, interview decisions would be made before Casper results were made available, but that admission decisions are likely to be impacted in some way by Casper.
A magic 8 ball could make better admission decisions than Casper.

Categorically: No.

Every applicant, no matter what, will get the "interview decision pending" message until they actually get issued an interview or a rejection. CMED does not "front load" its interview roster, either; there is no difference in applicant GPA, MCAT, ECs, etc., between those who interview straight away and those who wait till the winter, nor is there any difference in your chances of being offered an acceptance, waitlist, or any other status. (In fact, several of the best students in our class, both by pre-admit numbers and current class performance, didn't interview until late January.)

Be prepared that you may be looking at that "pending" status for a very long time. It's just the way the system works. Again, and I cannot stress this enough: "Interview decision pending" IS NOT A REJECTION. Relax, take a deep breath, resist the urge to check the portal every 0.04 seconds. You will be fine. And when you do get your II, please come on up and see us. We will be delighted to meet you!

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Hm...I'm doubtful anything needs to be done about this but would love some feedback. I submitted on 7/31, though they likely only received my CASPer score last week, though it isn't a technical requirement for CMU anyways. The entire time it has had a green check mark next to application complete and says "your application is ready", but everything else is a red ! including application under review. I haven't heard a thing since they sent me my invite for the secondary.

Seems like some people who finished after me have been reviewed more quickly, so I don't know if I should be concerned!

I think everyone is slightly on their own timelines. I submitted my secondary in mid-July and got a green check mark under "Application Review Complete" just last week. I also didn't take Casper until Aug 10th. I wouldn't personally be concerned, but you can try calling the Adcom and asking about it if you want. Good Luck!

I think everyone is slightly on their own timelines. I submitted my secondary in mid-July and got a green check mark under "Application Review Complete" just last week. I also didn't take Casper until Aug 10th. I wouldn't personally be concerned, but you can try calling the Adcom and asking about it if you want. Good Luck!

Ah! I'm trying to be patient, feels like it's been way longer than a month even though it hasn't. Given your timeline I'll probably wait a little longer before I worry too much. Thanks you :D

Hm...I'm doubtful anything needs to be done about this but would love some feedback. I submitted on 7/31, though they likely only received my CASPer score last week, though it isn't a technical requirement for CMU anyways. The entire time it has had a green check mark next to application complete and says "your application is ready", but everything else is a red ! including application under review. I haven't heard a thing since they sent me my invite for the secondary.

Seems like some people who finished after me have been reviewed more quickly, so I don't know if I should be concerned!

I know it's a tough wait, and the time seems like it takes forever... you shouldn't be concerned in my opinion. @Traumahawk had a great post yesterday to help ease fears of how this works. Be patient.

I know it's a tough wait, and the time seems like it takes forever... you shouldn't be concerned in my opinion. @Traumahawk had a great post yesterday to help ease fears of how this works. Be patient.
Such a tough wait! Feels like an eternity has passed, though you're right. Patience is a virtue. Thanks for helping ease my nerves a bit :)

I submitted my secondary 7/28 and now my application is under review. Getting a wee bit closer lol

hey all, would having extended family in MI qualify as a tie? Considering sending in a primary but don't want to waste the money

I got an update on my portal. It now says: "Your supplemental application review is complete but an interview decision is pending. While we make every effort to provide application decisions in a timely manner, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February." This is basically a hold, right?

I got an update on my portal. It now says: "Your supplemental application review is complete but an interview decision is pending. While we make every effort to provide application decisions in a timely manner, it is possible that an applicant could remain without an interview decision until February." This is basically a hold, right?
I'm pretty sure everyone gets that.