2017-2018 Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
All questions have a 1200 character limit):

1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?

2. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the medical profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.

4. Explain a situation in which you have received criticism. What was the criticism and how did you respond to it?

Questions 1, 3, and 4 are the same as last year. Question 2 changed from asking about overcoming a personal or academic challenge.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good luck to all the applicants for the class of 2022!

Reactions: 1 user
Received secondary at around 3am this morning.
However, I am a reapplicant to this school, and when I click view secondary it brings up a message "the secondary application was due January 15th 2017".
I am definitely clicking 2018 for the application year.
Anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Received secondary at around 3am this morning.
However, I am a reapplicant to this school, and when I click view secondary it brings up a message "the secondary application was due January 15th 2017".
I am definitely clicking 2018 for the application year.
Anyone else have this problem?

Not a reapplicant and have the same message popping up.

Received secondary and have a quick question: if I complete the secondary but I'm not taking the MCAT until August, the earliest I could interview would be October, correct?

@Lucca Secondary Questions (All questions have a 1200 character limit):

1. Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?

2. What attributes do you believe are essential to be successful within the medical profession? Of these attributes, which do you possess and how have you demonstrated these in the past?

3. Explain in detail an experience in which you collaborated, worked or were exposed to diverse backgrounds different from your own. Please describe the impact the experience had on you.

4. Explain a situation in which you have received criticism. What was the criticism and how did you respond to it?

Questions 1, 3, and 4 are the same as last year. Question 2 changed from asking about overcoming a personal or academic challenge.

Reactions: 2 users
Given the unique mission of the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, how do you know we will be a mission fit for you?

Question 1 actually changed, last year's prompt was about personal characteristics/values or something. Different question entirely, but very recyclable content luckily.

What if we don't have a phone number for our LOR writers?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are people answering the criticism question? I don't want to put something stupid...

How are people answering the criticism question? I don't want to put something stupid...

Just be honest. They're just looking for evidence that you're a mature and resilient person who can withstand criticism and grow from it. Nothing to overthink about.

this is probs a dumb question but im consistently getting the error on the prereqs page: Must provide details of activities for the first year. i think i've included everything so im not sure why this is happening?

How do you go about answering the question about the academic record? I have one W on my transcript. Do I just explain that W and what I realized from that mistake? Thank you for the help!

How do you go about answering the question about the academic record? I have one W on my transcript. Do I just explain that W and what I realized from that mistake? Thank you for the help!

Pretty much. Just place more emphasis on what you realized/learned from that mistake.

Submitted. Good luck, everyone!

Does anyone know FIU's average stats ??

Been at 'prelim review completed' for the past 2 days :nailbiting: plz love me fiu

What is everyone else's status? Mine just says Secondary completed.

All questions have a 1200 character limit):

Good luck to everyone applying!

I have a friend that sent me a screenshot of the secondaries for FlU she received this year, and for question four, it was worded differently:
4. Were you ever surprised by criticism you received? If so, what was the criticism and how did you respond to it?

How many attributes are y'all listing for question 2? I have three right now and feel like I have demonstrated all of them, however don't want to sound cocky either.

do people have an idea of when II's go out earliest?

How many attributes are y'all listing for question 2? I have three right now and feel like I have demonstrated all of them, however don't want to sound cocky either.

I feel like with the character count you can't list too many and demonstrate it, so I'm limiting it as well... idk though

They say they want max of 2 science, 1 non science, 3 additional LOR (6 total) but there are 7 spaces on the secondary for LOR. Did anyone fill out all 7?

Hello! I looked at the status of my secondary and it says, "Preliminary Review Completed". Does anyone else have this or know what it means?

Is this school worth applying to if you're OOS?

Is this school worth applying to if you're OOS?

Yep, I interviewed here last year and there were quite a bit of people from out of state. That said they were from good schools like Duke and Dartmouth

FIU has a unique cirriculum and they dont take their step 1 until the third year. This allows them to have the highest Step 1 scores in the state of florida. Hopefully their scholarships can offset the OOS cost

Thank you @mas13b and @amg_la! Is it too late to submit my app? Received secondary yesterday. Thank you!

Thank you @mas13b and @amg_la! Is it too late to submit my app? Received secondary yesterday. Thank you!

Nope, they just started reviewing apps so you'll still be pretty on time if you submit it this weekend.

Does anyone have a link to FIU's mission statement? I'm having a hard time finding it on their website. I see the one for general medical education but not specifically for the MD program. I know I can also find the mission statement on MSAR but I noticed that some schools have updated their mission statement on the website so wanted to make sure I have the most updated phrase to work with. Thank you!

Does anyone have a link to FIU's mission statement? I'm having a hard time finding it on their website. I see the one for general medical education but not specifically for the MD program. I know I can also find the mission statement on MSAR but I noticed that some schools have updated their mission statement on the website so wanted to make sure I have the most updated phrase to work with. Thank you!

Here you go!

Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine Mission, Vision, and Values | Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine | Florida International University | FIU

I submitted 7/03 and mine is not even reviewed

I submitted 7/10 and got Preliminary Review Completed 7/24/17

Mine was complete on 7/1 and still hasn't been reviewed..

Been reviewed for like 3 weeks now, hope it being done so early is a good sign

Same. Secondary completed 7/13, no "reviewed" update.

Does anyone knows if FIU has cutoffs??? I don't want to spend the money if my stats don't get to their petitions:
GPA: sGPA: 3.82, gGPA3.88. MCAT: 500 , Cuban, Former foreign medical student.

Thanks