2017-2018 Florida International University

Started by Lucca
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone knows if FIU has cutoffs??? I don't want to spend the money if my stats don't get to their petitions:
GPA: sGPA: 3.82, gGPA3.88. MCAT: 500 , Cuban, Former foreign medical student.

Thanks
From the FAQ on their website:
All applicants may be considered. However our average statistics for accepted applicants are MCAT 31 (range 24 - 41); MCAT2015509 (range 498 - 519); Overall GPA 3.6 - 3.7 (range 3.0 - 4.0); BCPM 3.5 - 3.6 (range 2.9 - 4.0)
 
On a less serious note, can someone tell me how to pronounce "Wertheim"? It sounds weird when I say it 🤔
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if FIU considers statistics to be a college mathematics course? I think most schools do, but FIU lists stats under their recommended courses, which has me wondering if they consider it to be something separate from college mathematics
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if FIU is receptive to in the area e-mails? I am going through their website right now but would like to check in here first if anyone ever had experience doing so. Thank you!
 
Both last year and this year, I went from secondary complete, to preliminary review complete, and finally now interview scheduled:soexcited:
So does secondary app complete mean my file is complete and they have all of my letters and whatnot, or just that I submitted the secondary?
 
So does secondary app complete mean my file is complete and they have all of my letters and whatnot, or just that I submitted the secondary?

Either one. I had that status right after I submitted the secondary, but before I sent my letters in. After I sent my letters in, I called the admissions office and confirmed they had my letters. But my status did not change.
 
So does secondary app complete mean my file is complete and they have all of my letters and whatnot, or just that I submitted the secondary?

Either one. I had that status right after I submitted the secondary, but before I sent my letters in. After I sent my letters in, I called the admissions office and confirmed they had my letters. But my status did not change.

Yes, I am pretty sure it only reflects the status of your secondary, not your entire file. I do not recall a file complete status. It just went from secondary complete to preliminary review
 
In light of reading some of the comments from last year's thread, I am very hesitant in submitting my completed FIU secondary. I understand newer medical schools run into issues with regards to curriculum, organization, and leadership, but some things reported are just out-right troubling, such as the Caribbean medical school affiliation. Is it worth applying here anyways?

Source: 2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread
 
In light of reading some of the comments from last year's thread, I am very hesitant in submitting my completed FIU secondary. I understand newer medical schools run into issues with regards to curriculum, organization, and leadership, but some things reported are just out-right troubling, such as the Caribbean medical school affiliation. Is it worth applying here anyways?

Source: 2016-2017 Florida International University Application Thread
I read all of the posts that you are citing, but I still decided to apply. If I am fortunate enough to be able to choose between several schools, I will definitely take those factors into consideration. However, I think the question you have to ask yourself is: if FIU was your only acceptance, would you turn them down? If the answer is no, apply anyways. This process is just too random (in my opinion) to be choosy, especially if you're IS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I tried going into the website since yesterday to submit my secondary (Got all of my questions answered and just need to paste them onto the question boxes) but it's taking too long to load and I can't get in. I tried at my house and at my Uni and tried different browsers and nothing. Is anyone else having this same problem?
 
I tried going into the website since yesterday to submit my secondary (Got all of my questions answered and just need to paste them onto the question boxes) but it's taking too long to load and I can't get in. I tried at my house and at my Uni and tried different browsers and nothing. Is anyone else having this same problem?

I tried to check my admission status and the webpage isn't working. They may have shut stuff down for the hurricane that is about to destroy Miami is the only thing I can thing of.
 
I mean I am not 100% sure that is the case, but that is my hypothesis, especially because of what EAGLESK93 said. I ran a diagnostic on the website and it said: "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (admissions.medicine.fiu.edu) is not responding." Give it a few days (probably around Monday/Tuesday) and it'll be back up. good luck
 
I live in South FL, and it's definitely because of the hurricane. Most places are shutting down their servers, and FIU is in a mandatory evacuation zone so I wouldn't really expect any warning or communication from them. This storm is looking bad for us.
 
not much talk in this thread my people

do we know how this storm will affect their interview/application season
 
not much talk in this thread my people

do we know how this storm will affect their interview/application season
I know the school is trying to resume classes 9/18 (as most universities in Florida) and according to their updates there was not much damage to the campus, so I don't think it will effect interviews moving forward. My interview is 9/22 and I haven't received any communications.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Attended an admission session today and she said their first interview is this Friday- I guess they canceled the first few due to Hurricane Irma. Good luck to everyone interviewing!